A Link Between Worlds did open world Zelda first, and did it better.

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic A Link Between Worlds did open world Zelda first, and did it better.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

A Link Between Worlds did open world Zelda first, and did it better.
      >Actual full dungeons with unique themes, that can be done in any order the player wants
      >World is smaller, but more dense with things to find
      >A larger library of items to use, and you have to work harder to truly earn them all for keeps
      >Every dungeon has a different, fun upgrade for you hidden in it, and if you know what they are, you have to consider which ones are important to get first

Anonymous

the first zelda was open world retard.

Anonymous

Still pales in comparison to the chad ALBW

Anonymous

>One of the first games of it’s kind didn’t do what it did the best
          >Another game that came 26 years later did it better

Anonymous

Only kind of. It’s not that much more open than ALttP. The game gates your progress pretty often, which is one of many reasons why I find it bizarre when people act like BotW is the sole heir to it.

Anonymous

>which is one of many reasons why I find it bizarre when people act like BotW is the sole heir to it.
          Because they want to defend BotW and pretend it’s a Zelda game. That’s what the marketing told them. They don’t actually care about LoZ1 and many don’t care about the series at all prior to BotW.

Anonymous

>pretend it’s a Zelda game
            Not just a Zelda game, but the only Zelda game after 30+ years. As if everything after the first game was a fluke until BotW swooped in and made Zelda Zelda again. It’s obnoxious as gently caress.

Anonymous

Yeah I hate this too. Like, I loved BOTW and shit, and I’m all for a new and more open direction, but I hate this stupid mentality that "everything else was shit prior to this point" because it comes across as blatant contrarianism when the series obviously has merit if it’s lasted this long and garnered as much acclaim as it has in that time span.

Anonymous

Chances are they’ve never played the first Zelda which does gate you with dungeon item progression, just not as severally as most other installments. But being able to Link BotW to the first Zelda gives it more, I dunno, legitimacy in peoples minds, which is useful given the it’s radical change in the philosophy of it’s game design. I still like BotW, and I’m pretty excited for BotW2, but it really is it’s own beast. BotW gives you literally every tool you’ll need to complete the game by the end of the tutorial. Not just in the sense you can speed run your way to Calamity Ganon and whack him with 3 hearts, but the Sheika Runes are all you need other than weapon ammo. No other Zelda does that.

Anonymous

>but the Sheika Runes are all you need
            What’s funny is you don’t actually need the runes either. Same with the glider You can get to and beat ganon perfectly fine without them. There was no need for them to frontload the game so hard and muck up the sense of progression.

Anonymous

it’s up there, you’re right -if botw were modeled after albw then we would all unanimously love it for it (it needs kinstones & rings, wtf botw)

Anonymous

While I definitely don’t agree with this list 100%, I agree with you in that BotW could have taken way more notes from ALBW. I’m surprised it didn’t, because I really thought ALBW was them testing the waters for this format on a smaller scale.

ALBW is probably the best 2D Zelda fullstop, maybe only challenged somewhat for that position by LA Switch until Zelda 1 gets a remake.

I agree, and I think it’s downright criminal that it doesn’t get talked about more.
        I also kinda liked TFH a lot too, it’s a shame it’s so hard to play

Anonymous

Decent list but having LoZ (original) at S screams contrarian try hard. I would drop it and switch seasons with WW. Would also drop TP one or two ranks.

Anonymous

>LoZ (original) at S screams contrarian
          why do you hate the OG anon? it’s amazing and we need a new one taking directly after its design motifs, secrets being secret, open world, non-linear from time to time, riddles

Anonymous

>oot at the top
        >botw at the bottom
        as it should be

Anonymous

>BotW and Zelda 1/2 below SS

Anonymous

Yes.

Anonymous

What’s the consensus on Faces of Evil/Wand of Gamelon remastered? I’ve heard pretty good things.

Anonymous

they’re pretty good, they’re short

Anonymous

ALBW is probably the best 2D Zelda fullstop, maybe only challenged somewhat for that position by LA Switch until Zelda 1 gets a remake.

Anonymous

I know this post is ironic, but I actually do agree. I prefer exploration games like this that are more focused than BOTW is.

Anonymous

I’m not even being ironic, I really do think ALBW had the right idea sooner

Anonymous

I agree. I get that people enjoy BOTW’s style of gently caressing about with stuff in different combinations, but I generally prefer games that set up particular obstacles and tight puzzles in the way that ALBW does. Honestly, the plot is also pretty alright for what it is.

Anonymous

>Link Between Worlds doing anything first

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I loved ALttP but dropped ALBW within two hours, so I’d have to disagree there chief

Anonymous

>did open world Zelda first
      That’s not the Zelda 1, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Anonymous

>anything beating out LTTP

Anonymous

I thought BotW was gonna be like a full scale ALBW because Aonuma was saying it was an experiment for their open world game.

Anonymous

If only

Anonymous

Would have loved it so much more if that was the case, but oh well

[…]

Yeah I prefer it to BOTW as well. I don’t dislike that game but it is unfortunate that it tossed out a lot of what I enjoyed about past games, ALBW had all of it though.
        For years I’d said Skyward Sword was my favorite Zelda game (and I do still like it more than most people but if you had me at gunpoint there’s a good chance I would say my favorite is ALBW, I’m always in the mood to replay it, and I can’t say that about pretty much any other game in the series that I’ve played so far.

Anonymous

Still assblasted about BotW – aka Game Of The Decade/Generation, huh?

Hows that working out for you?

Anonymous

They found us. Abandon thread.

Anonymous

>they
          it’s one guy

Anonymous

That’s one too many.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Recycled memes and shitposting isn’t ‘criticism’.

BotW is so good it has ruined your life. You spend all your days for years on end seething about it.

Anonymous

>

Anonymous

Been saying it for years, ALBW is the true return to classic Zelda form instead of BotW.

Anonymous

>it’s been 7 years since ALBW

Anonymous

Only problem I have with the game is that you buy the major items in a shop now and to me, that destroys the excitement I get when finding a new item in a dungeon.

Anonymous

Yeah I kind of agree, but I think they made a nice compromise in the Lorule dungeons each having additional equipment to help you get a similar sense of progression, whether it be the stamina and armor upgrades, the Master Ore to upgrade the Master Sword, or the Hylian Shield and Titan’s Mitt

Anonymous

I haven’t played ALBW, but I got the impression that it doesn’t have a satisfying sense of progression on account of having everything available from the start. Is this not true?

Anonymous

>A Link Between Worlds did open world Zelda first

Anonymous

Zelda 1 did open world before it

Anonymous

Four Swords Adventure was the chaddest Zelda game

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.