About to play this for the first time – PSP or PS1?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard About to play this for the first time – PSP or PS1?

• This topic has 58 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

About to play this for the first time – PSP or PS1?

Anonymous

PS1

Anonymous

why?

Anonymous

original dub is soulful

Anonymous

that’s usually code for "it’s shit but i experienced it when i was 8 so i like it"

Anonymous

That’s pretty much the only reason why people hold the original dub in high regard.
              However, the new dub is quite dull so it doesn’t actually exceed the new one at all. It’s also missing the vocal song "I Am the Wind" from the credits. The new Marina mode is pretty fun.
              Don’t listen to anyone trying to convince you the Saturn version is superior because they’ve been brainwashed to think that Saturn is the king of 2D and all 2D games play the best on the Saturn. SOTN was made for the PS1 hardware first and they used a bunch of tricks and features to make it work there. The Saturn port is a hacked up job by another team that suffers from slowdown, longer load times, missing or inferior effects and is overall just a worse presentation version. You’ll get people claiming the new zone content is absolutely worth it, but then quickly discover it’s only a couple of items and some hallways, enemies and a boss fight that are of a lower quality than the rest of the game. Marina is also playable in this version, but she has a completely different combat focused playstyle when compared to her animal combat in Rondo and PSP SOTN. There was a rom hack released for the Saturn version that added some QoL improvements and used the RAM cart to improve loading times, but the improvements are so minimal that it’s not even worth bothering. The only major improvement is the pause screen is instant now, but that isn’t an advantage it has over any other version.

Anonymous

PSP version lets you select japanese voices so you don’t need to deal with the bad dubs

Anonymous

Yeah sure, that’s a plus I forgot about to.

Anonymous

>That’s pretty much the only reason why people hold the original dub in high regard.
                The original dub is objectively just entertaining. I think you’re confused and think people thought it was good at the time, no, everyone always liked it because it’s terrible. The new voice acting and script is just as bad, but without being interesting or entertaining.

Anonymous

I’m here to play video games, not listen a bunch of faggots talk like they’re in a shakespeare play

Anonymous

there was nothing interesting or entertaining about the original, it is just cringe. the new dub/translation is also just as cringe, just doesn’t have such an acute case of engrish and actually reads like a native speaker translated it.

Anonymous

PSP is shit because it uses the source code for JP v1.0 and is a horribly buggy mess. The PS1 (NTSC) and XBLA versions are both vastly superior.

Anonymous

what are some bugs you know about?

Anonymous

Crashes often occur when using familiars, and when traveling back and forth between the normal and inverted castles

Anonymous

every time i see this photo i think of that one scene. you know the one

Anonymous

PS1 JP rom translated to english. None of the horrible original translation and voices, plus you get the kino jap voice acting as god intended.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1427/

Anonymous

Ok, I didn’t play the original, so other than the OG dub, and "I am the Wind" I know little of it. With that said, the PsP versions doesn’t add much, it has an extra boss, and Maria as a playable character, dual audio, and yes, the new script and dub, that it isn’t bad, but a little boring. With that said, I don’t think anyone actually remembers anything of the original dub, after the Ritcher and Dracula exchange at the start.

Anonymous

>I don’t think anyone actually remembers anything of the original dub, after the Ritcher and Dracula exchange at the start.
        Not true
        >"What?!"

Anonymous

oh i do, the voice acting for maria and ESPECIALLY once during a boss fight is comedy gold.

Anonymous

Ah, Alucard. I will not ask as to your reason for being here, but I demand that you CEASE YOUR ATTACK!

I. Will. Not.

Anonymous

MAGNIFICENT! But now feel my UNBRIDLED WRATH!

Anonymous

English translateion of the Japanese PS1 version.

Anonymous

what’s the difference between that and the PSP version?

Anonymous

Can’t play as Maria in the PS1 version. Also, the sound quality is just worse on PSP in my opinion.

Anonymous

Outside of requiring good mechanics, what makes this game fun?

Anonymous

Anyone of any profession and skill level can play this game actually.

Anonymous

Beautiful 2D visuals that are still some of the best in the business. A memorable soundtrack that enhances the atmosphere and sets the mood in every area. An impressive amount of enemies and bosses giving you a large variety of combat situations. Tons of secrets to find to scratch the exploration itch.

Anonymous

If you like the genre, the first blind playthrough is always a blast to explore the castle, find secrets and experiment with weapons and such, all enhanced with art and music that still holds up. After that playthrough, and if you want more, is all about "breaking" the game, either trying for the most optimal run for speedrun of any kind, or just trying up weird playthroughs with different equipment.

Again, is all about how much you like the genre, and SotN, even with some minor drawbacks like the item managment, is still a solid staple of the genre.

Anonymous

For me the music alone is enough to justify the entire game. The way it sets up the mood for the game is almost nigh 10/10 perfect. The later installments in the series did do a good job with their own soundtracks but never in the same level as how SotN managed to do so. The orchestral tracks are the absolute tits. This one still manages to give me chills.
        https://youtu.be/GT3KRn2ZCw0

Anonymous

Saturn

Anonymous

Saturn

These absolute chads.

Anonymous

Saturn

Anonymous

i played it on my phone with emulator while i was on vacation with my family, it was pretty good even though some moves i couldn’t do because the controllers don’t translate too well to a phone screen

Anonymous

ps1 with quality hack imo https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3606/

Anonymous

Wow this game looks strange without the black bars, I never knew.

Anonymous

yeah its different, i guess they had them so they could draw the screen faster for better performance.

Anonymous

is this just for emulation or will it work on real PS1 hardware too?

Anonymous

Saturn with the latest patch.

Anonymous

That barely fixes half the problems.

Anonymous

>saturn can’t transparency
        psx garden gnome narrative

Anonymous

PS1 psp version ruins shit

Always play the original version of any old game

Anonymous

>Only have the PSP version and I’m the only person that likes it
      >Don’t wanna buy Requiem because that Sony exclusivity deal is bullshit
      It’s hard to be alone.

Anonymous

Xbox Live Arcade > PS1 > Saturn > PSP >>> PS4 >? Mobile

Anonymous

ps1 on a crt. Disapoointing game btw, starts out fantastic then the director left the project and it falls apart. Soundtrack is the only consistently good thing about it.

Avoid the saturn version like AIDS. Pic related.

Anonymous

i dont have a crt

Anonymous
        Anonymous

why did he turn green

Anonymous

PS4

Anonymous

PS4 = PSP

Anonymous

Play the PS1 version on PSP

Anonymous

Don’t care what you faggots say. Will play the PS4 version

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.