Alright faggots, going into this mickey mouse power of friendship action rpg for the first time, pla…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Alright faggots, going into this mickey mouse power of friendship action rpg for the first time, pla…

• This topic has 136 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Alright faggots, going into this mickey mouse power of friendship action rpg for the first time, playing on proud mode, what should i choose?

Anonymous

Take mystic, ditch warrior.

Anonymous

I did this pretty fun

Anonymous

fpbp.
        You’ll get the shield techs by leveling, fuck the combo.

Anonymous

I don’t think it matters TOO much, outside of what level you gain access to certain abilities. There might be a couple exclusive abilities for each path, I can’t remember.
      I’m almost certain that the shield is just bad and not worth taking.

Anonymous

>I don’t think it matters TOO much
        it matters a lot in proud mode
        >I’m almost certain that the shield is just bad and not worth taking.
        it’s literaly the opposite.

Anonymous

Choose either Staff or Shield, always drop Sword.

Staff gives 2 more MP bars that you would never get otherwise. Shield gives an extra Equipment slot that you also never get other wise.Sword just gives more STR when leveling but you can craft STR boost to reach cap.

Anonymous

Doesn’t sword give more xp?

Anonymous

No but you can get more exp by performing counters or hitting a weakness.

Anonymous

No, XP progression is determined by the questions the children ask you, and no path actually gives ‘more’, it just makes certain level brackets less expensive and others more, the overall XP to reach 99 is always the same.

Anonymous

I thought night reduced the total XP to hit max level?

Anonymous

Morning: level up quickly at the start, slowly at the end
                Day: Balanced
                Night: Level up slowly at the start, faster at the end

Anonymous

You are completely wrong. Ignore this poster.

Anonymous

Why must people comment on something when they have no idea what they are talking about?

Anonymous

Take Shield, Drop Sword.

Anonymous

It literally doesn’t matter.
      >but difficulty
      KH1 is a cakewalk.

Anonymous

It matters you turbo cuck, with shield you get block at low level for example

Anonymous

Yeah I just remembered my early game was kind of rough because I had to rely on roll and timed attacks, farming was easy once to get thunder though. +staff -Sword

Anonymous

*you get thunder

Anonymous

The block really isn’t much better of a timing than swinging once

Anonymous

Blocking has an effective 1.33x window of deflecting an attack compared to a parry.

Anonymous

Take Sword, Drop Shield.

Anonymous

I started at night and took staff dropped sword I believe last time I played on proud. The beginning is a bit rough but after the initial difficulty curve you get strong as fuck.

Anonymous

take the sword and drop the shield

Anonymous

why did they do this

Anonymous

It adds complexity to the game and the fact that the game isn’t telling you what’s going on makes the mechanic seem more interesting.

Anonymous

>the game not telling you that you’ll lose slots if you pick the wrong thing is good!

Anonymous

I don’t know if you’ve ever played a video game before, but the idea is that at first you don’t know what’s going on and how things work, and then with experience you figure it all out and master the game. Many people find this process fulfilling.

Anonymous

>lose item slots if you pick the wrong thing in the first minute of the game
              >i-ii-i-i-i-its experience its good its fulfilling!
              cope
              its retarded

Anonymous

What am I supposed to be coping with? I first played the game 18 years ago and have known the meaning of the weapons about that long as well. The game would be made worse if the disembodied voice told you what you’re choosing; the mystical quality of the tutorial is part of the appeal of Kingdom Hearts.

Anonymous

>lose item slots
                Silly melanoid, you’re not owed that item slot, it’s a bonus for choosing that gameplay path. You don’t have it with the sword, you don’t have it with the rod, only with the shield. Are you also losing the extra MP from picking the rod if you don’t choose it?

Anonymous

Yes, and don’t forget spell power scales with how many total bars you have.

Anonymous

No, because you can cap MP in the other two still, you can cap Strength in the two non-Swords still, you CANNOT cap accessories in any other progression.

Anonymous

>you CANNOT cap accessories
                    You what? You’re aware Shield doesn’t give you gear slots, right?

Anonymous

>never played an RPG in his entire life
                Oh no, I didn’t roll high strength in Baldur’s Gate! THE GAME LOCKED ME OUT OF HITTING AN EXTRA 5 DAMAGE

Anonymous

>>lose item slots

You’re not losing anything you dumb zoomer, you’re doing a trade-off
                That’s like saying "WOAH, I’m losing Attack by picking the Mage class!"

In any case, I feel KH games are the most fun when you go for the "Mystic" build

Anonymous

>game gives choice with no information to create artificial complexity
              >search for "[game] best [choice]"
              >pick best option
              What was the point?

Anonymous

>artificial complexity
                >>search for "[game] best [choice]"

Fucking secondary. When KH came out, nobody was searching for the "best option". I didn’t even have the internet at the time.

A game tying cryptic, mystical questions and decisions to RPG progression is fucking great.

Anonymous

As this thread has illustrated, the best choice is a matter of opinion. And all complexity is artificial: it’s a video game.

Anonymous

I haven’t played KH but shield seems objectively the best from what I’ve seen in the thread. The other two can be made up for, the shield has an item slot that you can’t get otherwise

Anonymous

The item slot stops being so important after the early game and the other two have objective advantages themselves. Shield is the "safe" choice, this is by design.

Anonymous

and the Staff has +MP that can’t be made up for. As mentioned earlier, this gives an increase to how much you can cast AND how much damage it does.

Anonymous

>thinking two item slots by max level even matter

Anonymous

I believe it really just effects how fast or slow you gain experience. They only did it in the first game though so you don’t ‘really’ loose any stats or gain others. If i remember correctly

Anonymous

It’s interesting and fun and cool

Kh1 is unironically a masterpiece, shame the final mix release and sequels are such cringe, you really do have to emulate the original PS2 release for a good experience

Anonymous

What’s wrong with final mix, outside of the color schemes on the heartless?

Anonymous

nothing wrong with final mix you nostalgia faggot

Anonymous

Strategy and replay value.

Anonymous

+Shield -Sword if want to die less
      +Staff -Sword if you want to be cool

Anonymous

+Sword -Shield to be based

Anonymous

Man I am now remembering just how terrible the beginning hours of Kingdom Hearts 1 is. I mean it definitely gets way better but the weird dreamlike sequences and the islands plus the first stage is a chore and a half. Stops me from replaying every time

Anonymous

island intro level is peak kino.

Anonymous

Sparring with Tidus, Selphie and Wakka was fun. Collecting planks and cloth for a raft was not

Anonymous

every second on the island was kino it was so comfy and perfect. i wissh i lived on that island and explored the mysterious caves wtih my gf.

Anonymous

My parents bought me the strategy guide when they got me the game and I think it’s probably the only reason my 10 year old dumbass self was able to get past the island.

Anonymous

it’s literally the coolest part and what hooked many people on the game
        >game seems to just be a fun game about hangin out with your buds on a deserted island away from the adults
        >quickly shows it’s not at all what you think

it sets the entire pace for the entire series

Anonymous

I took staff and dropped the shield and it was the biggest mistake of my life. Being able to spam gravity like 50 times in a row was cool as fuck though.

Anonymous

really… ? the biggest mistake in your life… from a children’s video game sseries… ? the worst thing to ever happen to you must have been your parents getting divorced in their suburbian home…

Anonymous

Picking the staff and dropping the shield WAS the biggest mistake of my life, but now it’s going to be replying to your post.

Anonymous

>really… ? the biggest mistake in your life… from a children’s video game sseries… ? the worst thing to ever happen to you must have been your parents getting divorced in their suburbian home…

Anonymous

Never the sword. You have to decide for yourself whether you’d rather have 3 extra MP or one extra item slot. Personally, I’d take the item slot, since accessories and make up for lost MP and then some, and nothing can get you back that item slot.

Anonymous

sword always

Anonymous

What are the exact effects of each choice?

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Seems like Shield is the superior choice from this description.

Anonymous

Yes, accessories are really good. Mage gets really goofball skill progression, not being able to Guard until 33 or Second Chance until fucking 90 is not good at all for Proud.

Anonymous

Shield is basically the Bulbasaur choice. Very strong early and mid game and still effective endgame.

Anonymous

Brainlet here. I always thought staff has additional mp that cannot be made up. Here it says shield gets 2 additional slots, so cant you just equip +mp accesory there to get same result?

Anonymous

KH1 – +Staff/-Sword
          KH2 – +Defense/+Shield
          These help the most on level 1 runs.

Anonymous

if its equipment slots, then the shield is the clear leader. if its just item slots, like potions and shit, its pretty meaningless, and staff is the clear leader.

the only thing holding staff back is getting second chance at fucking level 90, as opposed to 36 or 48. but to be fair, that kind of keeps the game challenging.

Anonymous

It’s Item Slots.

So the question is whether you want more slots for Items and use more Accessory Slots to max MP or not be as dependent on Accessories for MP.

Anonymous

The big thing to keep in mind with shield is that even though you don’t get the extra damage from that bonus MP, item slots can still be filled with Ethers or Elixirs which can mean a huge chunk of additional spell casting that makes up for it otherwise.

Anonymous

I always pick Staff and give up either the Shield or the Sword. Which one I give up depends on how I’m feeling at the moment.

Anonymous

Babies who want the game to be easy, slow and braindead pick Shield.

People who want the game to be fun, fast and skill-based pick Sword.

People who want an alternative experience with magic instead of physical combat pick Staff.

Anonymous

I feel like staff ironically gives you more melee combo stuff early on than sword does.

Anonymous

No, it gives magic spells as combo finishers. Which is good for groups of enemies, but makes for slow gameplay compared to Sword, since you don’t get important skills like Sliding Dash and Counterattack until the end of the game. Staff does get air attacks earlier though.

Anonymous

This is true. If you plan on going for a completionist run Staff is just the best choice, since you’ll still learn all the abilities and the extra 2MP are a big boon during your play as well as affording you more build flexibility without tanking your magic damage. For a quick play, however, Sword let’s you get Slapshot and Sliding Dash very early, which really helps melee feel better.

Anonymous

I mean if you’re playing KH1 you’d optimally want to be in the air as much as possible, so getting more aerial options is a good thing.

Anonymous

KH1’s jumps and aerial movement are extremely sluggish, so no you don’t want to be in the air if you can avoid it, until you get Superglide anyway.

Anonymous

Aerial attacking has the advantage of canceling endlag on landing as well as keeping Sora moving, so you can passively avoid attacks while you strike. I don’t see how it’s not desirable

Anonymous

except air combos have far less endlag than ground combos, even kids realize it’s better to jump and attack in KH1

Anonymous

The ground finishers have way better crowd control especially if you’d rather not bother with summons

Anonymous

You have Thunder if you want CC, tho

Anonymous

Sword will get you attack-related abilities much sooner
      Staff will give you an MP point you can’t get otherwise and magic-related abilities sooner
      Shield will get you an item slot you can’t get otherwise and defense/utility-related abilities much sooner
      Dropping sword will make basic attacks stinky
      Dropping staff will make your magic shittier
      Dropping shield will give you glass bones

Scan (see HP) is considered a Magic ability and you’ll learn it at level 9 with the rod, 12 with the shield, and 15 with the sword, for reference

Anonymous

>Dropping shield will give you glass bones
        meaningless after mana rage and that skill that lets you survive shit with 1hp.

Anonymous

You get Second Chance super late don’t you?

Anonymous

Level 48 with the rod and level 51 with the sword. Final Mix is even more crushing with it, with the shield you don’t learn it ’til 36, with the sword ’til 48, and with the rod ’til 90.

Anonymous

Jesus.

Anonymous

+Sword – Magic if you want to be a Chad.

Anonymous

This is what I did as a kid when the game released.
        I picked the sword because Sora gets the keyblade and kept the shield so I could protect my friends.

Anonymous

I picked the shield as a kid because I thought it was actually the weapon I’d be using and I figured it would be neat.

Anonymous

What’s the best leveling pace option? I figured I’d go for the balanced one.

Anonymous

Leave during the day.

Anonymous

Day gives you more levels early on but kneecaps you later, mid-day is balanced, night kneecaps you early on but gives you more levels later.

Anonymous

Dead of night is the best. It reaches level 45 the fastest, whereas you’re probably going to want to be around level 50 to beat the game anyway. And you need 71,524 fewer experience points to reach level 100 if you start in the dead of night versus midday.

Anonymous

Staff was so broken in original original release. Final mix and the HD versions nerfed it hard

Anonymous

+Staff -Sword is my usual fun. Magic is so satisfying to use in Kingdom Hearts, especially spamming Thundaga and Graviga on everything.

Anonymous

This.
        >cast aero
        >spam thunder and gravity
        >tank any hit from anything that gets close thanks to aebro

Anonymous

>playing on proud mode, what should i choose?
      You might have to grind early on so you don’t get oneshoted. Gets far better once you get guard.

Anonymous

Pick rod to be the strongest at max level. You get an additional MP. This is more effective than you might think because spell effectiveness is determined by your max MP. So basically it’s MP but also your Magic Power stat. Pick rod if you plan to lvl to max.
      Pick shield to get all the useful abilities much earlier. You get additional item slots, which are ok but not that big a deal. You generally dont use items unless something has gone wrong. Pick shield if you don’t plan to lvl to max.
      Don’t pick sword.
      For dropping, it doesnt really matter. It only affects a few attribute points which can all be permanently boosted by crafted consumable items later in the game.

Anonymous

>what should i choose?
      Don’t you mean
      what should I cheese

Anonymous

I hate this choice. I took sword and dropped Shield. I’m retarded and had a terrible time. Died nonstop for most of the game. Replayed with shield and magic and had a much easier start. Granted I’m not 13 and retarded so I was able to handle it. Only benefit of the sword is the very early game scan. No shield means no leaf bracer or second chance until way later in the game and very few health upgrades.

Anonymous

I imagine the game is too easy on Proud mode to matter much, but I picked Wisdom and Mystic in KH3, was that good choice?

Anonymous

Play on critical.

Anonymous

I was thinking of having a breezier first playthrough and coming back for Critical soon after, like I did with KH2. Should I really change to Critical now? Don’t want to be walled on my first playthrough but if the game is going to be boring otherwise then I can see why I should do it.
          I only just got to Twilight Town so it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle.

Anonymous

Critical makes KH3 significantly harder because it halves both your HP/MP while coming with the other usual modifiers so battles become significantly harder.

Anonymous

You should do it not just because of the difficulty, but because Critical gives you a bunch of extra abilities that make the game more fun, such as a perfect parry, more formchanges instead of shitty Disneyland attractions and more movement abilities.

Anonymous

Technically best choice: +Shield -Sword
      Unique playstyle powerhouse choice: +Staff -Shield
      BALS TO THE WALL gigachad choice: +Sword -Shield

Anonymous

Best combination for First Timers Is take shield Ditch Wand
      But honestly do whathever you want With them

Anonymous

+Shield -Sword for safety
      +Staff -Shield for most fun

Anonymous

+Staff
      -Sword

Anonymous

>all the shield fags ITT
      yeah i love doing the same basic 3-hit combo for the entire game

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

>start playing KH1FM on proud mode because I heard it’s a baby game
      >get to Guard Armor boss
      >it starts kicking my ass constantly until I learned about the Zero Exp Ability
      What the fuck, it kept killing me in two hits most of the time and the battle just went on for too long even if I parried some of its attacks. Then I equipped that ability and shredded the boss.

Anonymous

Congratulations, you’ve learned how to cheese the game.
        Anyway yeah a lot of the bosses in this game are jank as hell.

Anonymous

How does this work? Does it have secret buffs or something?

Anonymous

Quite a couple, yes, it gives you more damage and prevents OHKOs to make boss fights not a near-impossible slog for level 1 runs. There is also a glitch with it, your finishing strike in a combo gets a higher damage multiplier, in general and from the bonus from EXP Zero, and while having it equipped after using a finisher you maintain that damage multiplier until you land another physical hit, so your magic and summons will do insane damage.

Anonymous

Zero EXP is meant for level 1 runs, so it boosts your damage so you don’t just chip the bosses.
          They forgot to account for people turning it on outside of level 1 runs.

Anonymous

Take Mystic, leave Sword.

Also, take the Night path because it makes the later game not as grindy.

Anonymous

Why is shield all positive compared to staff and sword?
      Did they want you to pick that?

Anonymous

Shield is supposed to be the option for first timers. You get block and all the good support skills early, so you can figure out the combat at a comfortable pace. Sword and Staff are for the more advanced players. You don’t get guard early, but you get fun combat and magic skills that let you explore the combat in a way the shield path doesn’t let you until the very high levels.

Anonymous

Good luck, anon.
      Take heart: no matter how bad you are, you’ll never be as bad as cheeseboy.

Anonymous

If any of you anons were Keyblade wielders; which would you personally pick of the three Dream items? Which would you discard?

Any other things, like a focus on certain elements for your moveset or whatnot?

Anonymous

The staff, of course. You can already whack stuff IRL, so why not go all in on magic if you found out you were suddenly able to learn it?

Anonymous

Picking magic gives you an extra mp bar that you can’t get any other way. Picking shield gives you guard, your best defensive option in the game by a mile at a very low level. Picking sword shoves a sword in Sora’s ass blade first. Choose wisely.

Anonymous

>another tendie playing Kingdom Heart because of smash
      hope you have an horrible time

Anonymous

Seriously don’t play kh1 watch a video or something on the plot then skip to 2 kh1 is a dog shit videogame

Anonymous

Objectively false
        Not every game has to be wacky wahoo animation cancel game to be worthwhile.

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.