any games with a feel of adventure

Home Forums A haunted junk yard any games with a feel of adventure

• This topic has 133 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 62 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

any games with a feel of adventure

Anonymous

Breath of the Wild
      Also I got that feeling from Fallout 76 before they added all the shit npcs in recent updates. It was a barren post apocalyptic playground where you could get lost and do what you wanted. It was great, but since everyone pissed their pants crying about it they added hideous retarded npcs and quests every 5 feet and now it’s your average mediocre bullshit open world garbage
      also old jrpgs

Anonymous

this, i can’t believe it but i miss the old empty WV

Anonymous

OP said with a sense of adventure.
        not empty barren and boring piece of shit pre-alpha tech demos released at full price

Anonymous

>zelda
        >fallout
        npc shit

Anonymous

Dragon’s Dogma and to an extent Death Stranding

Anonymous

The me the soulsborne games and Sekiro have a great adventure feel if you don’t mind it being in a sad, violent, and lonely world

On the other hand Monster Hunter World and it’s expansion Iceborne felt like an adventure to me because of the weird ass world full of cool monsters, but the characters and the story aren’t good, the good part is the monsters, the areas, and the gameplay.

Anonymous

The thing about FROM games is that you genuinely end up at a fork in the road often and each path leads to such a wildly different environment, you can never truly expect what you’re going to find even if you’ve already seen most of the areas from far away as part of the background. In most other games, that fork ends up just leading to a detour before leading you back to the main path.

Anonymous

The thing about FROM games is that you genuinely end up at a fork in the road often and each path leads to such a wildly different environment, you can never truly expect what you’re going to find even if you’ve already seen most of the areas from far away as part of the background. In most other games, that fork ends up just leading to a detour before leading you back to the main path.

your posts literally only apply to DS1
        Sen’s is peak adventure and if there was an entire game like that it would be game of the century.

Anonymous

Reminder that Sen IS supposed to be an actual person, but we have no idea who they were or why the fortress is theirs.

Anonymous

no really

(I’ll shill this game untill the end of time)

Anonymous

The mario galaxy games are the best mario games and I don’t think they will ever be toped

Anonymous

I think if they’re able to expand on the structure Bowser’s Fury had going on but with more distinct and wondrous levels they could really make a Mario game feel like an adventure again.

People just seem to want Odyssey 2 but I think it’d be infinitely more exciting to see Bowser’s Fury as a full fledged game.

Anonymous

The wii was unfathomably based and it even had the most sales that gen. It won.

Anonymous

The mario galaxy games are the best mario games and I don’t think they will ever be toped

The Galaxy games are fun but they feel so shallow compared to the rest of the 3D series, Mario just has so few movement options, why do you love those games so much?
        Genuine question, not trying to be a contrarian or anything.

Anonymous

Demon’s Souls
      Book of Travels

Anonymous

>Book of Travels
        could you tell me more about this game? i saw it on my steam page one day and it seems interesting

Anonymous

It’s hard to classify. It’s an MORPG that is very focused on exploration and social elements, despite the fact that there’s no text/voice chat (you communicate solely through emotes). Most of the game is spent either exploring the world and gathering shit, talking to random NPCs and solving their problems (there is no ingame journal or quest tracker so you’ll have to screenshot or write down everything they say), or making your own trade routes (economy is based on bartering, so you want to buy cheap meat at a farm and then sell it expensive at a fishing village, where you can then buy fish and sell at the farm, etc). Different NPCs value different things so you’ll want to try different things.

As someone who was very much into Ultima and Glitch I absolutely love it. I enjoy just spending time fishing and then taking the ferry to the central city where I can get good value jade. Then visiting the random pop-up markets for unique items.

Anonymous

Outer Wilds

Anonymous

Dark Souls before you unlock fast traveling is prime adventure feeling.
      Fast travelling kind of ruins that

Anonymous

for me it was Pathfinder Kingmaker : the map mode, the main quest (taming the virgin land), the narration that looks as a classical fantasy adventure book, the little stories you engage in in various locations – it all screams ADVENTURE to me. I’m playing it blind ofc

Anonymous

These threads are better at giving that adventure feel than actual games are.
      I don’t think anything ever will, because looking at pictures, or just imagining it is always going to be better than playing something

Anonymous

No. Ocarina of Time completely exceeded all of my expectation of what an ‘adventure’ could be, and no single image simply aiming at the ‘impression’ of an adventure could compare to that at all.

Anonymous

Too bad it’s not fun to play

Anonymous

That’s on you. It’s not a game that it makes sense to force yourself to play to say you have, you have to feel it and have those feelings drive your desire to discover more. If you don’t get that it isn’t for you.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

are these screenshots the original version? it looks stunning

Anonymous

3ds remake

Anonymous

But on Citra. The remade game only looks remotely this good at higher resolutions, the texture work is wasted on the original hardware honestly and looks terrible on the 3DS itself.

Anonymous

Caves of Qud

Anonymous

octopath traveler

Anonymous

Seconded, amazing underrated game

Anonymous

Grandia

Anonymous

For the 1st half at least.
        >climbing the end of the world
        >they camp for the night 3 times on the way up
        >getting more and more exhausted and think of giving up and just heading home

Goood shit

Anonymous

I get the feeling of adventure from many semi-open world RPGs like Underrail and Avernum. By semi-open I mean you can explore pretty freely but some areas are unlocked by items or quest progress, and some areas may be too difficult if you go there too early.
      Open world RPGs like Skyrim don’t have the same feeling with almost everything scaling to your level so there aren’t many ‘extra difficult’ dungeons you have to prepare for. Also this kind of open world games are quite empty.

Anonymous

Ys 8

Anonymous

I dislike party-era Ys but even I have to admit Y8 was ADVENTURE as fuck. Sunshine Coastline perfectly captures Adol’s sentiment of "I got shipwrecked again?? FUCK YEAH!!" The story and mystery escalates in a great way and finally making your way up the Gendarme is peak Ys.

Anonymous

Knights of Xentar

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Dragons Dogma came really close to this. Having pawns instead of real party members puts a damper on it tho and so do the lackluster sidequests and the game being generally unfinished and just kind of rushing to the conclusion when you think you should be halfway through.

Anonymous

I have a vague sense of what this thread and that image is about, but it’s hard to pin down. I think pic’s them is a significant journey, that’s difficult and has meaning. That’s probably hard to get into a game.

Dragons Dogma came really close to this. Having pawns instead of real party members puts a damper on it tho and so do the lackluster sidequests and the game being generally unfinished and just kind of rushing to the conclusion when you think you should be halfway through.

I basically feel Dragon’s Dogma is not immersive enough for me to really feel.
        Partly it is the the nature of the pawns, which I see as an attempt to meld game logic with lore logic when they could have just said pawns were mercenaries and your main pawn is your childhood friend or something.
        Other issues are the lack of player dialogue, literally third person camera and some other elements are too "gamey".

Anonymous

That literally looks like what Elden Ring is going to be. Just gotta wait until January.

Anonymous

you really don’t get it

Anonymous

>That literally looks like what Elden Ring is going to be

Anonymous

Lol
          LOL

Anonymous

The solution is getting into /tg/

Anonymous

But what if you’re not autistic?

Anonymous

You’re here, aren’t you?

Anonymous

I’m not autistic, I’m just gay

Anonymous

I have no friends

Anonymous

Valheim actually did.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

DQ11 if you’re into traditional jRPGs

Anonymous

Gotta agree with this anon, here. Played the remakes for DQ4 and DQ5 on DS back in the day, so I had a decent idea of DQ going in, but it blew me away entirely. Depending on if you want visual fidelity of the original (which I think you have to pirate now, it’s been replaced on most marketplaces) or are interested in more content (much of it is fanservice for past games, some of it tries to connect you to your party more) I would definitely recommend it for a playthrough. Travelling the world as the sky fades into night and you stumble across some ancient ruins to pilfer, or a whole new city to explore, it enthralled me for a good 100 hours at least. Just a comfy game.

Anonymous

kingdom come

Anonymous

Dark Souls 2

Anonymous

Dark Souls and Xanadu Next are some of the few games that have scratched my adventure itch
      Big open worlds do nothing for me since they always stretch the memorable content thin

Anonymous

Great Adventure games doesn’t even need to be Open World to be majestic. They can be linear as fuck but with the right amount of lore and details linear games could be memorable games.

Anonymous

Not sure what your pic is of, but it gives me major Outer Wilds feels, which is another wonderful exploration game.

Anonymous

None. TTRPGs are the best you can do, but you need friends for that so it’s beyond most of Ganker including me

Anonymous

I feel like RDR2 fits here. Your group camp is cozy and comfy.

Anonymous

To have true adventure feels you would have to have an open world where you also have to commit to travel. No way to easily travel around.

Anonymous

Nobody said Morrowind yet? The fuck happened to Ganker?

Anonymous

Zoomers happened

Anonymous

Baldur’s Gate 1, Pathfinder and Breath of Fire 3/4 are my favorite campkinos

Anonymous

can’t believe no one has said rain world that’s the best one.
      also seconding outer wilds, dark souls, somewhat demon’s souls. most of the other answers here are hilariously retarded

Anonymous

I’ll make one some day. It will be like Kenshi, but with a Runescape-style aesthetic, hundreds upon hundreds of roaming recruitable followers to join your party each with their own quests and background stories and romance options, roguelike elements that generate endless different situations for near infinite replayability and a strong mix of hand-crafted and randomized geographic locations, fully simulated towns and day/night and weather cycles, survival elements and permadeath on by default, and an overarching story written with extreme care with an elaborate lore base on the level of the Legacy of Kain games. How does that sound? Am I missing anything?

Anonymous

Yeah, the will to see it through. If you disagree then prove me wrong.

Anonymous

I will not disappoint. Just give me time.

Anonymous

Anon, if life teaches us anything, and it doesn’t, it’s that disappointment is always inevitable.

Anonymous

>Shadow of the colossus
      >pre 1.7.10 minecraft(no really)
      >Daggerfall
      >Morrowind
      >Skyrim
      >Oblivion(maybe, I didn’t like it but a lot of people got that impression from it.)
      >Enderal(highly recomended)
      >Journey
      >Outer Wilds
      >Echoes of the eye

Anonymous

>Enderal(highly recomended)
        Wow, that looks really high quality for a mod. Maybe even more so than this other one I just played, which was pretty decent.

Anonymous

Holy shit not a single game ITT actually offers the feel OP asked for, not even remotely, but I guess if you haven’t actually played any games except what Ganker tells you to you wouldn’t have a meaningful frame of reference

Zoomer palates need to be cleansed, with a shotgun, play better games

Anonymous

based, modern Ganker is so pathetic kek

Anonymous

not a single game offers the feel op asked for, period

Anonymous

How about you contribute then

Anonymous
        Anonymous

does Ganker really not like rimworld?

Anonymous
        Anonymous

This. Its the best One Piece game, and One Piece is exactly what OP is describing.

Anonymous

>One Piece is exactly what OP is describing
          Not with the teletubbies setting, it isn’t.

Anonymous

>teletubbies setting
            what the fuck are you talking about

Anonymous

Don’t you fucking compare Skies to Wan Piss ever again

Anonymous

The longest Journey

Anonymous

I really hope we’ll get a game in the future that does adventuring justice.
      I want to feel as If I’m actually in that world, exploring it.

Anonymous

but that’s exactly what you are doing in so many games
        what’s wrong about them?

Anonymous

GW2

Anonymous

>no game will ever match the wonder and creativity of a good DnD session
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC_jkB9xT6U

Anonymous

Sadly yes, but I’ve no friends and graphics are nice to have.

Anonymous

my biggest hope of the future is VR DnD with auto-generated environments by an AI assistant that follows the DM’s voice and adds assets ad hoc as the party progresses

Anonymous

>live in a country where tabletop everything is ridiculously niche and even then, 90% of it is war games
        >no one to play with
        >too self conscious to go full magical realm
        >even if I did, the chance of the other guys not thinking I’m retarded is slim to none
        >don’t see a point if I’m going to half ass it

Anonymous

>the wonder and creativity of a good DnD session
        Sadly you need both a good DM and a good party, both of which are super rare.
        I know I can’t set a scene for shit and my players would probably break the immersion by doing something silly before I was done anyone. Still love the idiots though, we have fun.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Pic related is literally "Sense of Adventure: The Game"

>Age of Discovery aesthetic
      >Ode to the RPG’s from 2008-2010

Look I’m not saying Greedfall is perfect, but it absolutely captures that sense of exploration & adventurism

Anonymous

I didn’t really get that feeling from Greedfall. It did have some cool stuff, like the little camp while you load between regions, and the aesthetic is also preddy gud.

Anonymous

Greedfall was fun, but for me it was less of the adventure aspect, which felt lacking at times, and more of the diplomat perspective. Actually choosing the right words to say to not fuck over relations was surprisingly fun to do. Unfortunately the Natives were pretty aggravating on that front since the game made sure to give you negative rep with every plot beat.

Anonymous

Poor Man’s Witcher 3: The Game

Anonymous

The thing is, in order for this adventure feel to actually be fulfilled, you need to not have a single idea of what you’re getting yourself into or what’s waiting for you in the game at any point.

This immediately disqualifies most popular games whose gameplay format is well known, whose story is just a flimsy excuse for the game, whose world is the same rehashed stuff every time etc like From games, Zelda games, TES games, DQ games, most traditional JRPGs, modern open world games, heavily advertised games, games designed by committee, risk-averse games etc. Don’t get me wrong it’s possible to extract some of that feeling from these games, if you’re playing the IP for the first time or you’re a kid, or otherwise don’t know what to expect and don’t know you’re about to be disappointed, but for most people on Ganker that ship has sailed.

This means your best bet is to play old AA games you never heard of and people rarely mention, because you will be discovering everything yourself with fresh eyes. Sadly the tech for true adventure games only became available as the industry became too big for its own good, which means that an adventure game with a deserving budget and necessary tech is inherently paradoxical because it will need to appeal to the largest possible audience and advertise itself heavily in order to justify the expense. The only chance of it ever getting better is another crash, which is incredibly unlikely.

Anonymous

>procedural world-gen like dorf fort but from an AI that has been fed a diet of fantasy novels and Jung/Campbell books
      >half of the game is just bushcraft and exploration
      >quest goals like "find X artifact" which requires searching through ancient texts and folkloric tales to figure out where it might have gone when the last civilization to hold the artifact collapsed
      >spend a week searching ruins because of the need to map the site, excavate safely, and keep watch for monstrous raiders from the forest
      Why can’t we have nice things yet?

Anonymous

I’d prefer a hand crafted world made with love and care instead of procedural generation but I’m more than fine with what you described. Especially the last part.

To explore a interesting world where you actually have to learn how to survive in the wilds and make proper preparations before going out on an adventure. To not have the game hold your hand with quests markers or a minimap, instead you’ll have to learn how to use a map and write down things in your journal. Main point of the game is exploration, not combat, not the quests or story.
        I hope I’ll be able to live long enough to see someone make such a game.

Anonymous

To me the problem with set, hand crafted worlds is that eventually the entire map will be charted and analyzed in depth online.

Anonymous

dont read guides or use meta theads
            or do you mean for an mmo hahaha retard

Anonymous

Mh, true. Though you could just not take part in threads where such things are shared.
            The problem with procedural generated worlds is that I can’t find an interest in them so the idea of exploring it wouldn’t be as appealing.

Anonymous

Try Dragon’s Crown OP.

Anonymous

The art is great, but there’s zero adventure unless you’re playing with friends

Anonymous

>zero adventure
          In the sense that there is no long, single unbroken adventure structure than yeah that is accurate since after every level you just go back to town (Unless you’re chain-running the levels for multipliers) HOWEVER, at the same time you’re also exploring all sorts of different enviroments with your band of adventurers. One minute you’re scaling a massive tower, the next riding a magic carpet over a river of lava, and then you’re in a crypt full of zombies and skeletons, and of course let’s not forget about fighting through a battlefield of orcs and goblins or a journey through a forest full of nasty creatures. Then after all that you sit down and cook a meal with your chooms.

tl;dr there absolutely is an adventure in DC but it’s just not structured as such in the traditional sense I think. It’s more of an Isekai adventurer’s guild structure.

Anonymous

moving left to right is not exploring
            by that logic 2d mario is an adventure

Anonymous

It can be.
              Mario is less of an adventure and more of an action game if we’re using genre descriptors that don’t typically fit. The way the levels are crafted and with the time limit kind of forces the devs to not spend too much time adding little secrets because the player doesn’t have time to find them without having to replay the level. Sure it has some hidden things, but you’re right it’s not enough to "explore" the level and feel like you have time to appreciate the aesthetic of the world. But DKC on the other hand can feel adventurish at times when you discover things. Same goes for the Castlevania series and plenty of other platformers with rpg elements.

Anonymous

Genshin Impact

Anonymous

many open world adventure games almost capture the feeling of adventure, however, personally i feel that combat feels tacked on in those games and detract or completely ruin the sense of adventure. i wish someday we can get an open world adventure game with minimal or no combat, and just focuses on exploration

Anonymous

I like Ruins and Riches (formerly Ultima Odyssey) a lot

Anonymous

It’s a full conversion of Ultima Online but balanced as a single-player game, made by one autist over years
        The map is completely original
        Quests are not very elaborate and are usually "go to X dungeon and kill this monster" or follow clues to find an artifact, but since you don’t know where anything is there’s a lot of focus on exploration
        There are multiple worlds but no obvious way to travel between them, up to you to find how
        The dungeons are pretty brutal, you can get absolutely fucked over by traps. I’ve had a character get his karma reversed so he couldn’t enter towns anymore
        And since it’s based on UO you can build your own home almost anywhere, and can also open a server to play with friends in the same world

Anonymous

Morrowind is the closest to the feeling of "whoa, a strange land, so many things to explore" that I have.

Anonymous

>any games with a feel of adventure
      Dragon Age: Origins
      The Witcher 3
      Persona 5 (if high school sims are your thing)
      KOTOR
      Fable

Just a few that I thought really immersed me

Anonymous

I’ve been playing ultima underworld and that has felt like an adventure to me so far, although not in the same way as OP’s pic. Wish I had a proper copy with all the extra shit it came with, I did print out the manual but it’s not the same.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

modded minecraft

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Not since the internet.
      Games don’t have it because the devs don’t have the passion to create it.

Anonymous

oddly enough, paper mario always gave me that feeling for some reason.

Anonymous

I think it’s the characters being unique.

Anonymous

FFXI was the only game that felt like an adventure to me. Probably because I was only 14 when I played it

No other game gave me that feeling

Anonymous

Fantasy Life, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, Digimon World 1.

Anonymous

Shadowbringers

Anonymous

Oh and also the first Tomba! for ps1, I almost forgot about it.

Anonymous

warning: only attempt if you’re based

Anonymous

Undertale & Deltarune actually capture the feeling of adventure well. All the key ingredients are there:
      >mostly linear world where you are constantly pushing forward into the unknown
      >world is strange and mysterious, every inch of it is filled with lore, interesting dialogue, loot and unique settings
      >friends accompany you and comment on, interact with and experience this strange world with you

Playing Ultima Online in the early days felt like an adventure too, anything could happen and the world was wild, dangerous, and unknown.

Gothic also has a great adventure feel, the world feels alive and you can really see your progress from weakling noob who needs to struggle for everything, to powerful warrior who can defeat any obstacle. The strong element of choice adds a lot of the feeling of adventure too.

I think an adventurous feeling in games requires either meaningful choices or a compelling mystery to push the player. Games like Dragon Quest XI should fit the bill right? But it just sort of misses because the world isn’t that interesting, there is almost zero player choice and the drive to explore and experience the story is weakened as you just feel like you’re on a theme park ride.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>Adventure
      What you’re looking for is gone.
      This feeling is a product of the loss of innocence.
      You’re projecting your own loss of direction and wonder at unknown scope onto a video game.
      The only games that will ever give you this are the ones you played when your voice started cracking.

Anonymous

I played Rain World two years ago and it gave me similar feelings as my first Pokemon game, or when I was new to Minecraft. The games I was playing when my voice started cracking includes games like Halo and Sonic which I no longer like. You can’t play the exact same games your entire life and not expect to get bored.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Dragon Quest I-II-III
      One Piece Unlimited Adventure/Cruise 1-2

Anonymous

Yeah I loved the One Piece unlimited cruise games, it’s sad that we’ll probably never get something like that again.

Anonymous

look at Aragorn off on his own the moody faggot

Viewing 62 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.