Any reason to play this over Final Mix?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Any reason to play this over Final Mix?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Any reason to play this over Final Mix?

Anonymous

no

Anonymous

>no dodge roll
      >no Rucksack fight
      >no Data Org
      Hell no.

Anonymous

it’s been fucking forever since i played vanilla, was there really no dodge roll? that doesn’t sound right

Anonymous

If memory serves the classic sora form unlocked a dodge that was different to the basic one.

Anonymous

Limit Form wasn’t even in vanilla Kh2. You may be thinking of Wisdom Form which had Quick Run.

Anonymous

>Roll added in fm
              >That form added in fm
              >Roll added as a result of that form in fm
              >UHHHHHH DO YOU MEAN WISDOM? THAT WASNT IN VANILLA
              Its not that hard to follow a conversation

Anonymous

480i sovl on an actual ps2
      original midi soundtrack
      non retarded heartless colors

Anonymous

>original midi soundtrack
        >non retarded heartless colors
        Since it’s on PC now there’s most likely a mod for these two.

Anonymous

You can play the Japanese final mix version on a real PS2 and get all those benefits except the heartless recolors

Anonymous

Absolutely not. It’s a straight up in every way.

Anonymous

Not a chance. Who the fuck would play the game without data org

Anonymous

Some abilities are pretty strong is the vanilla version like mp rage I think.

Anonymous

>Pros to Original KH2
      Original Heartless colors look great
      The original title screen mirrors the KH1 title screen, making it feel more like a sequel than CoM
      >Cons to Original KH2
      No Critical Mode
      Goofy is completely broken
      No Limit Form, which means no dodge roll
      No Roxas fight
      No Cavern of Rememberence
      No Data Organization 13
      No Lingering Will

There’s been no reason to play Original KH2 ever since Final Mix released

Anonymous

Shit, this just makes the original KH2 feel heavily incomplete compared to final mix.

Anonymous

That’s how it always is with KH games, you never get the first version but unfortunately most of Ganker didn’t get the memo when KH3 released and they’re still salty about it..

Anonymous

Because it was. Vanilla KH2 had no secret bosses other than Sephiroth and no post game at all in general. The only mini games it had were the barebones skateboard and I can’t remember anything else. FM even added the Mushroom XIII, the stickers, the silhouette portals which are weaker versions of the data fights and give nice rewards etc.

Lots of people somehow have based their memories of KH2 on the final mix version and to this day think that KH2 at launch was a fantastic complete game with tons of post game but reality its post game was worse than KH3’s and even DDD’s.

Anonymous

Most of the minigames in base KH2 are fun. I clocked hours in the Hundred Acre Wood as a kid and even managed to 100% vanilla. They’re decent time wasters if nothing else.

One thing I will agree on though is that people really seem to only remember the post-game of 2FM and seem to forget that 90% of the rest of the game even exists. Is a game really a flawless masterpiece if you have to play for 30 hours to get to the part that everyone praises it for?

Anonymous

That’s why Critical mode exists, to recontextualize the entire game, instead of just the post-game.
              Also why Zero EXP exists, for the hard motherfuckers that still find it too easy/boring.

Anonymous

Even on Critical, a lot of the main game bosses are extremely easy.

How many bosses boil down to “combo them and then use a reaction command to do more combos”? How many of them are gimmick fights of some description?

KH2’s problem is that it has amazing mechanics, but only the post-game really encourages you to use said mechanics.

Anonymous

most heartless bosses are just
                  >combo to death, what the fuck is magic lmao
                  but there are sprinkles of good bosses in the main story that demands you use the full kit instead of mashing the attack button
                  Demyx is a GREAT fucking example, infamous for giving any player their first game over because they simply can’t combo his ass to death like the rest of the game encourages
                  he’ll outright punish you for even trying, his revenge attacks are downright brutal

Anonymous

>Goofy is completely broken
        It’s been more than a decade since I played vanilla KH2, what do you mean by this? Broken as in shit, or broken as in overpowered?

Anonymous

why are you asking this? just curious

Anonymous

I like to give original versions the benefit of the doubt, I know it’s usually a no brainer but there are cases where the rerelease ends up harming the game more than it helps, so it’s always nice to get a consensus before making a decision on which version to play.

Anonymous

Overrated as fuck game in either iteration, the Organization are such nothing characters besides Axel whose "glorious sacrifice" deviantart wouldn’t stop raving about went down like a wet fart

Anonymous

I like all the games, but totally agree with this

Anonymous

I dont think its that overrated, i hear constant "its the best JRPG and action game and moba of all time" but that doesnt detract from the fact that its a solid and fun AJRPG. Its a cute game with good combat and a bunch of fun side stuff. If only the first game had the combat of the second game then the praise would almost be justified.

Anonymous

No limit form and everything you get from it is a pretty horrible downgrade i guess.
      Also critical is a very good rebalancing of proud mode, its not actually harder, but its much more balanced, especially when it comes to level 1 mode.

Anonymous

The only reason you could possibly find is that the original has an incredible spanish dub but that’s it.

Anonymous

Yep
      Final Mix nerfed the difficulty, added even more triangle counters, extra bosses are not plot relevant and also complete jokes, literally REMOVED two enemies (“replaced” is a bad word here; the additions are actually worse)
      Basically, FM is a soulless brain dead version of 2 that zoomers cling to because it’s the only way they’re able to claim to have beaten critical
      Absolutely hilarious how hard original 2 filtered people with its difficulty to the point where FM had to tone things down
      Do yourself a favor OP: play the original 2 and be proud. It’s actually a better game 100%.

Anonymous

Not just the difficulty but some abilities too. The extra bosses didn’t have to be plot relevant. That’s not a requirement in games.

I’m playing KH1 right now and am enjoying the story, but really fucking hate the controls and combat. I’ve heard the combat gets better with future entries and I’m not sure I want to suffer through more of this one to get to that. Should I just watch the cutscenes for 1 and CoM or stick with it?

Play more platformers to get use to kh1’s controls.

Anonymous

>Lingering Will isn’t plot relevant

Anonymous

>literally REMOVED two enemies
        wat

Anonymous

I’m playing KH1 right now and am enjoying the story, but really fucking hate the controls and combat. I’ve heard the combat gets better with future entries and I’m not sure I want to suffer through more of this one to get to that. Should I just watch the cutscenes for 1 and CoM or stick with it?

Anonymous

How far are you into it? Things do get better the further you progress as you get more options.

Anonymous

I’m at the Olympus colosseum right now fighting Cerberus

Anonymous

So like the 3rd world. Yeah, you’re not very far in and KH1’s combat is really fucking basic early on in the game. As you get things like summons and limits and extra abilities it gets better. I honestly like KH1’s combat solely because it’s so simple and straight forward.

Anonymous

>I honestly like KH1’s combat solely because it’s so simple and straight forward.
              I’m the opposite. The more complex, the better for me. I was watching some gameplay of 2 and 3 and it looked way more my speed with the crazy bullshit happening onscreen

Anonymous

Did you choose the shield or sacrificed it? Please tell me you didn’t sacrificed it?

Anonymous

I chose the shield and sacrificed the sword

Anonymous

No wonder you think the combat’s boring, that’s a good way to ensure you’re only getting fun combos at the tail end of the game.

Anonymous

So you’re telling me that those choices actually mattered? Fuck

Anonymous

first choice determines what skills you learn in what order, the combo of what you choose and what you sacrifice determines starting and max stats, and shit like max AP and item slots. That being said I think +Shield-Sword is great for stats, but starting with the rod gives you access to air combo stuff MUCH earlier.

Anonymous

it’s square enix, of course every small thing matters. did you know in KH1 certain cutscenes (like in Monstruo) they change dialogue based on your world path?

Anonymous

Yeah, all those choices at the beginning change how you progress. Which item you choose determines which/when you get abilities, and that dawn/midday/night option determines how much XP you need to level up depending on your level (dawn= less XP needed to level up at lower levels, and more at higher levels, midday = balanced, night = opposite of dawn).

Anonymous

>(dawn= less XP needed to level up at lower levels, and more at higher levels, midday = balanced, night = opposite of dawn).
                        that is so autistic but coming from nomura, it ain’t surprising

Anonymous

so which choice gives the comfy experience, the best and the sadistic one?

Anonymous

Neither
                        you choose whether or not you want to have no safe healing, no way to guard for a while, or slow boring combat for most of the game
                        With that said I like Shield best in KH1 OG but for Final Mix the Sword was fine enough

Anonymous

Not him but the most fun aspect of KH1 for me is blocking/parrying stuff because of how satisfying the feedback is and the fact that you can interrupt a bunch of bosses. Changing the animations for when you’re mashing X is less interesting by comparison. Though he said 2 and 3 looked better even though it’s still mashing X, so…

Anonymous

You don’t really need to rely on Guard in KH1that much since an attack can double as a slightly less lenient version of it anyway.

Anonymous

The game gets fun once you unlock the spinning aerial move.

Anonymous

Stick with 1. You might get sick of re:COM though.

Anonymous

KH1 experimented with """platforming""", that part doesn’t get better but the worst of it is in Deep Jungle and Hollow Bastion, it’s tolerable everywhere else. Combat gets better as you play and unlock more maneuvers.

Anonymous

>worst platforming
          >Hollow Bastion
          That’s the best part, you little shit

Anonymous

Finish the game you fucking pussy
        >Should I just watch the cutscene
        Fucking zoomers, I swear to god.

Anonymous

Play CoM. Not ReCoM.

Anonymous

There are some arguments for 1 vs 1FM, but 2FM is pretty much a straight upgrade that fixes some issues in the original.

Anonymous

>There are some arguments for 1 vs 1FM
        What would those arguments be?

Anonymous

1FM makes getting the Ultima Keyblade a lot more tedious by forcing you to repeatedly grind annoying mini-bosses. The new content overall is not particularly good (for the overseas release at least, the original Japanese version didn’t have some of the original overseas version’s optional bosses, white/black mushrooms, etc).

Anonymous

Also I forgot to mention that KH1FM adds some completely broken abilities that trivialize the combat like Slapshot, Sliding Dash, and Leaf Bracer.

Anonymous

To get the true Kingdom Hearts fan experience.

Anonymous

not the remaster for sure.

Anonymous

Original PS2 Final Mix or HD remix? Which is better? Only difference I know is that you can’t see Kairi’s panties anymore

Anonymous

Yes
      They retconned the first game sort hard that it’s hard to play the later iterations because they fucked with the tone of the game.
      >Originally Riku shows up out of nowhere
      >Get’s pissed off that he’s no longer the ‘favorite child’ anymore
      >Later revealed he’s being manipulated by Maleficient
      >The build up occurs throughout the course of the game
      >Latest game practically tells you from the get-go

I can only imagine they did the same for the second game as well. Series would be so much better if they just stopped at 2.

Anonymous

Bruh, kh2 not kh1. Also barely anything got retcon throughout the series.

Anonymous

think of final mix being the game + expansion, you get new content from it and a better experience. I say skip this one and head to final mix version unless you want to compare the difference then go for it and wish you fun

Anonymous

I swear that most of the reason people praise KH2 is for the prologue and the post-game stuff.

The middle of the game is an absolute slog at times.

Anonymous

The middle of the game is just fine, but fuck Halloween Town, that world really did feel pointless

Yeah, all those choices at the beginning change how you progress. Which item you choose determines which/when you get abilities, and that dawn/midday/night option determines how much XP you need to level up depending on your level (dawn= less XP needed to level up at lower levels, and more at higher levels, midday = balanced, night = opposite of dawn).

>lvl 90 second chance
        >lvl 90 lucky strike
        >lvl 69 Leaf Bracer
        >all the fun combat abilities are high level
        I fucking hate that KH1FM did this shit

Anonymous

Before 2.5 came out you had the excuse of not wanting to import the game, deal with Japanese subs, and not wanting to mod the PS2
      Now that 2.5 exists there really is zero point in playing vanilla KH2 unless you want to experience "The original"
      t. anon who owns at least 3 versions of KH2

Anonymous

tfw I have KH1, RE:COM and KH2 on PS2,3 and 4

Anonymous

short answer is no. Long answer is hell no. Cave of remembrance is the peak of the series

Anonymous

Nah

Anonymous

A KHII without the Roxas fight alone is a fucking blunder of epic proportions. If for some reason you only have a ps2, just softmod it to play japanese ps2 games and play the final mix version. I honestly like the shitty ps2 quality over the hd models, but KHII in 30fps is just hard to get used to after playing the hd collections.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.