Any traditional roguelike fans here? Steam has a sale going, and I don’t usually play these gam…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Any traditional roguelike fans here? Steam has a sale going, and I don’t usually play these gam…

• This topic has 130 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Any traditional roguelike fans here? Steam has a sale going, and I don’t usually play these games, but I’d like to try one… just one. What would you recommend? Anything on this list?

Anonymous

rift wizard’s really good. i found caves of qud boring in the same way i find dwarf fortress adventure mode boring. adom you can just play for free to see if you like it. dungeonmans is boring in the same way that dredmor is boring, and the metaprogression is super grindy. don’t know anything about ananias.

Anonymous

Depends what you enjoy in RPG’s there are several great free ones too. Tales of Maj’Eyal is probably my favorite roguelike just because of its mechanics. You can get it free but it’s also on steam and you get the same benefits a donator does if you buy on steam, plus there is DLC. Of the ones listed there Caves of Qud is cool but its complex and extremely not friendly to beginners. Dungeonmans is probably the best in your list of ones for newcomers. Other good games for newcomers on steam would be One Way Heroics (the original) and Dungeons of Dredmor. Jupiter Hell is new and also pretty decent for newcomers. I can recommend more free ones too, but yeah.

Anonymous

Unreal World is one of my favourites and extremely simple compared to other rogue likes so if it’s your first it will help you get acclimatized and work your way up. That’s my recommendation even though it’s not on your list

Anonymous

I agree with this anon, compared to other roguelikes Unreal World is quick and easy to get into. Great if you want to get a running start!

Anonymous

just checked the list to see what was on sale

>If you like building characters with lots of unique classes and abilities with a ton of loot (ala diablo/poe)
      Tales of Maj’Eyal

>If you think 2d tile graphics like shitty and you love Doom
      Jupiter Hell

>If you like survival crafting games
      Wayward

>If you like weird furry OC sci fi settings with confusing deep mechanics and frustrating levels of difficulty
      Caves of Qud

>If you want to play the most vanilla standard traditional definition of a trad roguelike
      ADOM

>If you want the boring vanilla roguelike experience but with some more "meta" features and a sense of humor
      Dungeonmans

>If you like math
      Hydra Slayer

Honorable mention games that aren’t on sale but are still pretty cheap (or not)

>if you like sci fi settings and don’t mind looking up recipes on a wiki
      SOTS: The Pit

>if you want a decent and accessible roguelike with corny humor and graphics
      Dredmor

>If you want to be a nordic survivalist and say prayers to various deities before the hunt
      UnReal World

>if you love robots, body modification, inventory management, and blowing shit up
      Cogmind

>If you like jrpgs
      One Way Heroics +

>If you like mystery dungeon games
      Shiren Vita Port or Tangledeep

There are also many free games that are superior to several on this list that are free to download like CDDA, Brogue, Demon, DCSS etc.

Anonymous

>Tales of Maj’Eyal
        >Jupiter Hell
        >Caves of Qud
        >ADOM
        >Cogmind
        >One Way Heroics +
        >Shiren Vita Port
        >Tangledeep
        These are all good Roguelikes and I recommend any of them. If you want a purist Roguelike experience get either Maj’Eyal, Qud, Adom, and Cogmind. Honorable mentions is Jupiter Hell that game is absolutely a blast.

Anonymous

i love maj classes autism but the combat rots my brain and is so DAMN BORING. Is there a good way to approach it? The start was nice but after that, dungeons felt repetitive and easy

Anonymous

Ramp up the difficulty. You won’t be bored because you’ll be afraid of dying all the time.

Anonymous

>Jupiter Hell
        not on steam but I prefer doomrl over jupiter hell, although I played on release so not sure if a lot has changed since then

Anonymous

i played it on release too and as far as i know a lot has changed. i prefer doom rl as well, but it’s still pretty good, and this thread made me reinstall it.

Anonymous

These are some really good recommendations. Thank you Anon.

Anonymous

There’s tales of majeval(?) i watched it on some random stream earlier. Looked like a decent roguelike

Anonymous

>t. darkgod

Anonymous

I read this as Tales of Pajeet

Anonymous

the best roguelike since rogue isn’t on the sale but it’s only 5 bucks, get it if you haven’t and you like roguelikes

Anonymous

The only game there worth money is Rift Wizard. ADOM is a classic game that doesn’t hold up. Qud is unfinished and shallow in its mechanics, even if it tries to pretend otherwise. Interesting world, but that is also unfinished, even after many years of development. Dunegonmans is legitimately one of the worst roguelikes I’ve ever played, and gives off the strong impression that it was made for at most young teens.

If you enjoy traditional roguelikes, try Sil, Infra Arcana or my favourite, Unreal World. Only UrW costs money. It also has a number of good mods on the official forums.

Roguelikes in general are one of those old, passion-driven genres where the free games are the best in field by a significant margin.

If you want to look into more niche titles, go to the roguelikes general on Ganker.

Anonymous

Ooo, thanks for this thread. One of my favorite games of all time is binding of isaac, the amount of items in that game bundled with synergies really fucking spoiled me. Anyway, could i get a recommendation into the roguelike genre? And yes im aware isaac is a roguelite

Anonymous

Unreal World is what got me into the genre. Simple controls and mechanics compared to others and extremely comfy. After I realized how much I love this I moved onto others and since CDDA has become my favoureite

Anonymous

im autistic and CDDA isnt on steam so its a pass for me. i like seeing my hour time go up. Im also a fan of zomboid so theres that. I think im gonna buy Tales of Maj’Eyal. Should i buy the collectors edition right away? How fucked am i as a noob into the roguelike genre if i played tales first

Anonymous

>Im also a fan of zomboid so theres that.
            what is "that"? you feel some kind of tribalism like you can’t try this game because you like another one? jesus christ have a nice day immediately lmao

Anonymous

CDDA is really really unfinished
          It’s fun for a bit but way too grindly

Anonymous

i disagree. there’s a ton of negative ways to describe it but I wouldn’t call it unfinished, there’s more content than 90% of games I’ve seen and it’s free

Anonymous

It’s more like ‘a lot of half-finished content’. Some stuff is very well-done, the mines and such are generally pretty good, but base construction is still kinda fucked, NPC allies just… Yeah. Vehicle construction is still great and I want more games to use that. Hell, give me more open-world roguelikes so we can get that style of vehicle-building. Just give me a game about the vehicle-building, even. A Mad Max roguelike or something.

Anonymous

"more content" but an unfinished factions system, a multitude of gameplay issues from the grindiness to the fact that it’s nearly impossible to lose from lack of nutrition due to the constant supply of food and water everywhere, the lack of any true end-game, I fucking love CDDA but it has a lot of things that keep me from playing the game. Don’t even get me started on how the devs are actively trying to make the game grindier with proficiencies and all of that bullshit, or, even worse, "soft exp" from books.

Anonymous

grindyness has nothing to do with "unfinished’, that’s exactly what I mean. There’s tons of criticism that’s valid but unfinished I don’t think is one

Anonymous

Does Stoneshard count? I like it a lot but can never remember the difference between a "k" and a "t" to you autists.

Anonymous

Roguelike and roguelite are not mutually exclusive. A game can be both, see Crown Trick for a relatively recent example. A roguelike is a pretty specific sub-genre of RPGs, with simultaneous turn-based gameplay on a grid of some sort, generally a procedural generation focus and high penalty for death. Roguelite is focused on multiple runs, meta-progression, etc. They’re basically different things now.

Anonymous

Nah progression shit has nothing to do with it, you don’t even need permadeath. Roguelikes are just the top down grid based controlling one dude games, Roguelites don’t necessarily need meta progression it’s just for stuff that borrows elements from Rogue but isn’t the grid thing

Anonymous

I’d say meta progression isn’t ALWAYS required for roguelites (see Spelunky), but it’s a factor in most of them, especially with unlocks like with Isaac or Gungeon. The key thing is that a roguelite can’t simply be ‘a roguelite’ it has to have some other genre, as it’s just a modifier. Gungeon and Isaac aren’t ‘roguelites’, they’re ‘roguelite twinsticks’, Hades is a ‘roguelite hack ‘n slash’, Slay the Spire is a ‘roguelite deckbuilder’. Meanwhile, a game can just be ‘a roguelike’ without any further descriptors.

Of course people these days just call them all roguelikes without bothering to differentiate at all because what the fuck do words mean anymore.

Anonymous

>you don’t even need permadeath
            A traditional roguelike does.

Anonymous

to me as long as the default game mode has and is balanced around some form of permadeath (stuff like shiren still counts even though you aren’t rolling a new character imo) then that works within a traditional roguelike.
              If permadeath is your optional hardcore mode that means the game wasn’t balanced around it, and therefore starts to fall outside the definition. Stoneshard is probably the only example i can think of where it’s basically a roguelike but permadeath is the optional hardcore mode. The game was clearly balanced around not having it, compared to a game like ToME that was balanced around it, and extra lives is the easy mode just to get some casuals to try the genre.

Anonymous

>stuff like shiren still counts even though you aren’t rolling a new character imo
                Nah, that doesn’t count. You’re not talking about a traditional roguelike then. A traditional roguelike would actually be like Rogue: permadeath, rolling a new character every time, and turn-based. If the core game doesn’t have those three, it has no business being called a traditional roguelike.

Anonymous

well i wouldn’t call shiren a traditional roguelike either way, but i would call it a jroguelike or a mystery dungeon style game. which are consistent and different enough that they fit in their own subgenre within the like/lite sphere. they are far closer to one end of the spectrum than the other.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Stoneshard is closer to a like than a lite, but i’m pretty sure there are lite elements in there. To me when a game makes permadeath into a non default "Iron Man Mode" then it’s not trying to be a roguelike.

Idk if they ever changed it but Dredmor was just too fucking slow for my taste, I loved the skills (yay Werediggle tree) but I played on normal and it was a snoooooze

you could increase the animation speed so everything went faster

Anonymous

noita

Anonymous

It’s not on sale, but how’s the Shiren the Wanderer game (5?) that’s on Steam and Switch?

Anonymous

It’s good for a jroguelike. Personally not the biggest fan of mystery dungeon style games vs trad roguelikes but its one of the better ones i’ve played.

Anonymous

>Personally not the biggest fan of mystery dungeon style games

Man I really liked the classes the mystery dungeon one way heroics added but the original is leagues better, invisible traps are so dumb.

Anonymous

i never played it, only played the original OWH+ and read reviews for the other one and decided to stay away.

Anonymous

If you want to TRY one just do Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Its a browser game, some Gankerppl will say it for nerfed and its too easy but if you are new to the genre you can learn for free.
      https://crawl.develz.org/
      Theres also Cataclysm, seth did a review on it.
      https://youtu.be/Cyoj4-niEPc

Anonymous

Man I really want slay the spire still but I refuse to pay the sale price everytime just because it was on a humble bundle months ago

Anonymous

Buy Pirates Outlaws on mobile

Anonymous

The only 1 i could ever tolerate is Neo Scavenger. All the other ones have way too many controls for me to want to learn them.

Anonymous

Please don’t give money to the Caves of Cuck developers, it’s a game that deserves to be pirated out of principle.

Anonymous

I love traditional roguelikes, i recently got back into dead cells after playing a bit more The Binding of Isaac, any recommends? i’ve been thinking of getting noita after having played a pirated copy for a while

Anonymous

You’re not even trying.

Anonymous

huh? i got boss cell one and im trying to get boss cell 2 but i get caught up in trying to find weapons i like to use, instead of using whatever

Anonymous

Tales of Maj Eyal

Anonymous

how beginner friendly is Tales of Maj Eyal

Anonymous

why does legend of gungeon suck so hard

Anonymous

>Coming Soon: Dwarf Fortress
      yeah sure, it’s been two fucking years already

Anonymous

Programming trannies and all the 500 genders of the lgbtqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm+×÷=/_<>[][email protected]#$%^&*()-‘":;,? takes time

Anonymous

>one… just one
      I say try ADOM then. It’s a very polished and in-depth elaboration on NetHack and is probably The Roguelike in many senses no matter what retarded contrarians try to say.
      As another anon had mentioned, it’s pretty vanilla but it’s not as clunky as other "classic" roguelikes (bands and hacks). Also, it’s probably the only major roguelike that somewhat tries to use the RP part of the implied RPG subgenre, and it works as a nice bridge between the games you’re likely familiar with and roguelikes.
      It being vanilla makes it actually way crazier comparatively than most modern roguelikes because ironically the latter tend to borrow some "groundedness" from other genres in an attempt to widen their audience.

Anonymous

>traditional roguelike

Stop using a separate term just because barely sentient normalfags misuse the correct term.

Anonymous

It’s required at this point. The majority of people that argue over genre terms are the minority of people that play so called "roguelikes", roguelike has taken on a new meaning and the old guard doesn’t care

Anonymous

trad roguelike is the steam tag that actually applies to roguelikes now if you are looking for them there. roguelike tag has things that don’t even fit in as lites lmao

Anonymous

Don’t care. Don’t use steam.

Anonymous

serious question
      why are a lot of new roguelikes made by trannies?
      what is it about the genre that attracts them?

Anonymous

Only mentally ill people enjoy them

Anonymous

I can assume they are relatively easy to make if you have autism.
        That being said, if by "a lot" you mean "just CoQ" that’s not really "a lot".

Anonymous

its a niche hobby enjoyed by spergs, and there’s a weird correlation between being on the spectrum and being diagnosed with "gender dysphoria"
        in other words, propaganda and predatory therapists prey on spergs to turn them into trannoids

Anonymous

>Caves of Chud
      Yea, no thanks.

Anonymous

Just download DCSS – the best one and free

Anonymous

SPELUINKY 2

PLAYSPELUNKY 2

Anonymous

Stop misusing the term.
      ToME is a rogulite.
      The Binding of Isaac is a roguelike.
      https://youtu.be/FdrUpxokScY
      Educate yourself.

Anonymous

>differences about roguelike and roguelite video
        >description says creator doesn’t like berlin interpretation
        >close tab

thanks anon, very insightful

Anonymous

No one sane likes Berlin Interpretation, though.
          It’s objectively shit and useless.
          Doesn’t excuse the video but if you think BI isn’t shit you’re dumb.

Anonymous
              Anonymous

>roguelikes are a specific genre of RPG’s well defined by their mechanics
              And that’s not what BI says. Hence it’s shit and an awful starting point.
              Case closed.

Anonymous

berlin interpretation describes those mechanics that define that genre though, what are you talking about?

Anonymous

Berlin Interpretation describes nothing.
                  It lists a bunch of "value factors" that are completely non-descriptive and grouped highly arbitrarily.
                  The only sane part of BI is this line
                  >The canon for Roguelikes is ADOM, Angband, Crawl, Nethack, and Rogue.
                  also known as "common sense"

Everything else is completely useless. Most of the canon roguelikes objectively break some of the "high-value factors" and debatably proceed to break some more.
                  The whole "high-value" thing is utterly retarded because everyone and their dog can instantly tell that some of the "high-value factors" are not like the others. One anon had a good fucking argument that treating "high-factors" equal as BI openly implies would mean Minecraft on Hardcore is more of a roguelike than ToME because it literally qualifies for more "high-value factors".
                  >Missing some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise, possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike.
                  Essentially this means, BI doesn’t define shit. i.e. it’s useless.
                  Part of the reason why we have these retarded talks to this fucking day is that BI was for some dumb reason considered to be "a proper definition" when it factually, objectively, literally – as in "it’s actually written right there" – defines NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.
                  Hence, BI is shit and no sane person likes it.

Yes, Roguelikes are a subgenre of Hack ‘n’ Slash RPGs with grid-based movement and simultaneous turns.
                  No, you won’t find this definition in BI nor will it help you to arrive at it on your own.

Anonymous

The value factors are literally those core mechanics. It seems like you dislike the berlin interpretation because you don’t understand it or the purpose of it, instead of it actually being bad or useless. Congrats though.

Anonymous

>The value factors are literally those core mechanics
                      No, anon, they are not. Were you to bother to read the actual BI you wouldn’t say dumb shit like this.
                      BI literally has no mention of "simultaneous turns" anywhere in it, and that’s a CORE fucking trait shared by every single roguelike out there. It’s genre-defining, and it’s completely missing from the thing you’re trying to imply can be used "as the base for the definition".
                      It lists a bunch of traits that have literally no fucking business in defining a genre. Fucking "Complexity" is an empty word.
                      To begin with, the whole idea that something as specific as "turn-based" and something as arbitrary as "complexity" can be placed on the same level of "value" is completely and utterly retarded. And, anon, if you are trying to argue it isn’t, YOU are completely and utterly retarded, there’s really no way around that.
                      BI literally cannot be used to define a roguelike, in their own fucking words. It is therefore useless.
                      If you, yes specifically you were to ignore BI openly saying it is useless for defining roguelikes and still try and use it to define roguelikes you will find that it’s laughably easy to discredit most of the canon roguelikes for breaching a number of factors that would very reasonably disqualify any other clearly "not a roguelike game".
                      >you don’t understand
                      Something tells me you are incapable of critical thinking as well as seeing things for what they are.
                      At some point in your life, you were told that BI is good and that was it. You likely didn’t even bother to read it and think about it for a minute to see how dumb it really is.

Anonymous

I have read it and understand it and the purpose of its existence very well. The thing I didn’t bother to read was the rest of your low IQ rant.

Anonymous

>I have read it and understand it and the purpose of its existence very well.
                        No anon, you don’t.
                        You are an actual idiot and that’s very clear.
                        Thanks for wasting my time, I guess.

Anonymous

Please stop feeding the trolls anon.

Anonymous

Yeah and a game doesn’t need to have them to be considered a roguelike according to the BI. That’s why he’s saying it’s garbage.
                      >Does it paly like Rogue?
                      >Yes, it’s a Roguelike
                      >No, it’s a Roguelite
                      It isn’t that hard.

Anonymous

also i like how you quote the description from the BI and then go on a big rant that completely ignores the two lines beneath it.

Anonymous

also I like how you literally can’t comprehend information in the text form.
                      Point out where does the thing you are posting conflicts in any possible way with what I was saying.
                      BI cannot be used to define a roguelike.
                      It openly states it cannot be used to do that.
                      Hence it is useless for defining roguelikes.
                      That’s literally all there is to it.

Anonymous

No he,s right, the berlin interpretation is fucking garbage. And the reason why is pretty obvious.

Anonymous

>The Binding of Isaac is a roguelike.
        No. It’s not.

Anonymous

>traditional roguelike
      >costing money

no

Anonymous

Brogue is hands down the best roguelike to get into the genre with. If you don’t end up liking Brogue you almost certainly wont like other roguelikes. It has a lot of depth without the overwhelming complexity of other games in the genre (a good thing for your first roguelike).
      Start with Brogue

Anonymous

is noita worth a buy?
      usually I just pirate single player games, but with rougelikes the devs tend to add updates with new items and balancing. is noita still getting updated or should I just pirate it?

Anonymous

you should kys for implying noita is relevant to this thread

Anonymous

lol its part of the sale OP is talking about

Anonymous

its weird that it’s on there, but it would make sense if they are games based on the speakers at the conference. there are several roguelites as part of the sale though. anyway noita is good and totally worth it.

Anonymous

>traditional roguelike
      Aren’t those just Roguelikes?

Anonymous

Fuck this game.

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.