CPUs that stood the test of time

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic CPUs that stood the test of time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 9 3900X.
      Replacing the ol’ trustworthy i7-4790k.
      Lasted me a good 5 years, planning on throwing it into another case and keep using it.
      Before that I had a Phenom II X4 965 that is still running Plex at my Dad’s house.
      Any other CPUs that you have/had that stood the test of time?

• #37577 Reply
      Anonymous

Most intel processors ever since Sandy Bridge have held up really well. But obviously the 2500k, 2700k and 4690k were the most outstanding ones.

• #37578 Reply
        Anonymous

e-e-e-enj-j-oyin-n-ng t-the s-s-s-s-s-s-s-tut-t-t-erin-n-n-ng?

• #37630 Reply
          Anonymous

None of those have stuttering and in fact lower cache latencies (when OC’d) than most ryzens.

• #37631 Reply
            Anonymous

They used to, now mitigations are flushing state all the time thus invalidating the gains.

• #37632 Reply
              Anonymous

Do you mean the spectre mitigations? They can be turned off i believe

• #37635 Reply
                Anonymous

Some can while others can’t since they are either baked into microcode or into compilers (like JCC in this screenshot).
                As soon as you start pushing Skylake-derivatives hard they choke, even under Linux, which is bad for me since I have to buy more hardware to support loads that used to work fine before mitigations. (this is why Intel is still having record quarters btw – everyone is buying their shit to make up for the mitigation performance losses).

• #37636 Reply
              Anonymous
              • #37637 Reply
                Anonymous

>Just turn them off, it’s all hypothetical.
                Agreements with clients forbid that, and also

Some can while others can’t since they are either baked into microcode or into compilers (like JCC in this screenshot).
                As soon as you start pushing Skylake-derivatives hard they choke, even under Linux, which is bad for me since I have to buy more hardware to support loads that used to work fine before mitigations. (this is why Intel is still having record quarters btw – everyone is buying their shit to make up for the mitigation performance losses).

• #37638 Reply
                  Anonymous

>clients
                  What clients, we’re talking about 2500k for gaming and such.
                  >microcode
                  Well at least you can roll it back in linux and compile your own shit. Or use inspectre in windows and delete miscellaneous updates.

• #37640 Reply
                    Anonymous

>What clients, we’re talking about 2500k for gaming and such.
                    Do you think there aren’t Sandy Bridge based Xeons?
                    >windows
                    >delete miscellaneous updates
                    What is this mythical version of Windows that still allows you to do that? Even Win7 had cumulative updates at the end of life.

• #37641 Reply
                      Anonymous

8.1 and 7 let you pick individual updates from the GUI. 10 you can do it from the command line. There are github repos with databases of bloat updates with remover scipts.

• #37644 Reply
                        Anonymous

7 and 8.1 both have cumulative updates meaning the monthly update will contain all the previous ones. The times of having multiple separate updates is long over.
                        Windows 10 is the same way unless you are running an Enterprise/Education version with a WSUS server or equivalent.
                        Those scripts do almost nothing for Home/Pro editions. If Microsoft puts the microcode update into cumulative updates the only thing you can do is to stop updating altogether, and even that is not easy. It’s also stupid and this month’s updates proved as much (the RDP flaw and the NSA certificates flaw).
                        Windows is a locked-in platform and Microsoft controls it all.

• #37645 Reply
                Anonymous

2500K one has 4 cores and no HT. You are thinking about the 2600K that sold far less as it actually had worse performance at times before more cores started to become normal.

• #37633 Reply
            Anonymous

Yes they do. The 2500k was a good processor in it’s day and has held out extremely well but it is now limited by it’s core count. Everyone I know with a 2500k has encountered this issue and has either upgraded to Ryzen or plans to.

• #37609 Reply
        Anonymous

2500k aged worse than 2600k, turns out HT was not a meme.

• #37611 Reply
          Anonymous

2600k also has more cache

• #37614 Reply
          Anonymous

Advantages of HT only start to show now after many, many years. Until moar corez became the norm I think 2500k was always doing extremely solid

• #37680 Reply
            Anonymous

Eh I had a 2500k and you could see it hitting its upper limit in some early 2014/2015 games like BF4, ass creed unity, dying light, Witcher 3.
            2600k would have been a much better choice, HT really helps

• #37682 Reply
          Anonymous

at least 2500k users had a good 6 or so years before the 4 threads started to age, imagine being one of those donuts who bought a 4 thread 7600k in 2017 thats only 20% faster than the 2011 2500k at the same clock speeds

• #37683 Reply
            Anonymous

This. I remember with Battlefield 4 having to unpark cores, overclock, tweak a million things, etc just so the game would run properly.

• #37686 Reply
              Anonymous

>unpark cores
              I remember that shit. Funny enough what fixed my performance in bf4 was mantle. When the tower went down in siege on Shanghai the 2500k would be at 100% usage and FPS would drop to 40.
              With mantle it didn’t drop below 65ish, it’s a shame it’s taken a decade to move on from dx11

• #37693 Reply
                Anonymous

Yeah, and funny enough my "poozen 1700" could run Shanghai with the tower collapsing at over 120 fps no problem. But muh 5ghz i5 the best though!

• #37685 Reply
            Anonymous

This. I remember with Battlefield 4 having to unpark cores, overclock, tweak a million things, etc just so the game would run properly.

Back in 2017 most of Ganker and 99% of reviewrs advised against Intel i5 threadlet shit because it will age really badly, and surprise surprise 1600 aged way better than 7600k despite it’s lower clocks

• #37580 Reply
      Anonymous

i win this thread

i got a $20 x5670 few months ago

playing rdr2 on ultra/high settings no bottlenecks on my gtx980

• #37586 Reply
        Anonymous

Had my X5670 for about 2 years now. OC’d it to 4,2Ghz stable. There are videos on youtube how to do it.

• #37588 Reply
          Anonymous

>There are videos on youtube how to do it.

i tried to oc it BUT despite the memes its not easy. the i7-920 could be OC’d with just 1 setting change

also i read elsewhere that theres no need to OC it. i can tell you first hand that it does not bottleneck a gtx980

• #37581 Reply
      Anonymous

>CPUs that have lasted the test of time
      motorola 68k. checkmate, faggits.

• #37585 Reply
        Anonymous

you mean Z80

• #37590 Reply
          Anonymous

that’s not how you write motorola 68k

• #37613 Reply
            Anonymous

386DX-40.
            The first taste Intel got of AMD’s cock.

That’s not how you write 6502.

• #37692 Reply
              Anonymous

that’s not how you write 6510

• #37582 Reply
      Anonymous

Just upgraded from 2500k to 3700x here. I don’t think the 3700x will have the longevity of the 2500k because I predict the cpu wars is going to heat up in the coming years. As AMD keeps improving on zen, Intel is being forced to respond.

• #37604 Reply
        Anonymous

I’m considering the same upgrade, how noticeable has it been?

• #37607 Reply
          Anonymous

I’m getting around 5 to 10 fps gained in heavily threaded or cpu bound games on an rx480. Doubled fps at vp9 encoding with ffmpeg. OS feel a tad more responsive with hundreds of firefox tabs, video playing and scrolling through high res images.

• #37608 Reply
            Anonymous

>rx480
            You’re gpu bottlenecked anyway which is why the difference is only 5 to 10 fps

• #37583 Reply
      Anonymous

I’ve been using a 4790k for 5 years, and there’s no way I’m replacing it yet, it still works really well.

• #37584 Reply
        Anonymous

b-but moar corez…

• #37589 Reply
        Anonymous

I upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1070Ti last year and saw only a few FPS gains at 1440p. I think it’s my CPU and DDR3 RAM that is the bottleneck. Hopefully my new setup will fix that.

• #37595 Reply
          Anonymous

Only an idiot upgrades each gen, no offence.

• #37612 Reply
          Anonymous

>1440p
          play at 1080 then

• #37681 Reply
            Anonymous

Which will make the CPU bottleneck even worse genius

• #37587 Reply
      Anonymous

I’m still using my FX-6300 that I bought in 2013.

• #37593 Reply
        Anonymous

my condolences

• #37642 Reply
          Anonymous

Whats wrong with it?

• #37643 Reply
            Anonymous

Well a now-$20 x3450 from 2009, overclocked, is better in every metric.

• #37591 Reply
      Anonymous

Overclockable X79 and X99 Xeons. Available dirt cheap these days and the motherboards have come down too. Eight Ivy Bridge cores running at ~4.5GHz is still enough to power any GPU at sensible resolutions for the card. I sold my 1680 v2 though as I got an 1800X for less than half the money.

• #37592 Reply
      Anonymous

>Any other CPUs that you have/had that stood the test of time?
      Recently upgraded to 3700x from Ivy bridge.
      Ivy bridge was an absolute boss, but started showing it’s age. Especially after the multitude of performance limiting critical patches applied.
      If it weren’t for those, I probably wouldn’t upgraded for another year or 2

• #37594 Reply
      Anonymous

>5 years
      You’re like a little baby. I had Athlon X2 4800+ for 10 years.

• #37596 Reply
        Anonymous

>12 years and counting

• #37598 Reply
          Anonymous

those are toaster tier. holy gently caress i hate those. if i took any modern processor (made in the last 3 years) and just limited it to a single core (shut the others off) it would still smoke the gently caress out of that piece of garbage.

• #37668 Reply
            Anonymous

they are about as fast as an entry level i3 with hypterthreading, not quite toaster tier but very close

• #37697 Reply
              Anonymous

I can assure you an i3 7100 is way faster than any oc’d C2Q. I have both

• #37699 Reply
              Anonymous

Not even close, I replaced my uncle’s q6600 with a celeron g1840 I had laying around, performance was about on par

• #37601 Reply
      Anonymous

Still running a dual Xeon X5365 and run 95% of the games st 60FPS and more
      no plan to upgrade yet

• #37666 Reply
        Anonymous

>at 800×600

• #37675 Reply
          Anonymous

No, 1080p and above

• #37602 Reply
      Anonymous

Wtf, I thought Ganker was poorfag board?

• #37603 Reply
        Anonymous

>can’t even afford a motherboard
        you passed the poor check

• #37605 Reply
          Anonymous

Hey I got a motherboard, just no brand ones.

• #37606 Reply
        Anonymous

Nah, it’s just most of people here don’t need top of the line hardware.
        Because you can just masturbate while you compile.

• #37610 Reply
      Anonymous

still using my 2500k

• #37615 Reply
      Anonymous

How much longer do you think an r5 1600 would be good for?

• #37621 Reply
        Anonymous

Probably 50 bux

• #37616 Reply
      Anonymous

>Just upgraded to a Ryzen 9 3900X.

Enjoy your 3.8 GHz bro

• #37623 Reply
        Anonymous

Housefire cope

• #37617 Reply
      Anonymous

>tfw using an i7 920 for 11 years
      I’ll upgrade this year I promise.

• #37618 Reply
      Anonymous

I was still using a core 2 quad Q6600 until last black friday, then upgraded to zen 2600.

• #37619 Reply
      Anonymous

My dad was still running a 2.8ghz P4 until last november, ran W10 on it just fine and upgraded to a 4770, he says he doesn’t really see a difference.

• #37620 Reply
      Anonymous

I’m getting a 3900X delivered today with 4400mhz ram. I’ll be upgrading from a 5820k and maybe i’ll finally not have a cpu full of exploits and spyware.

• #37626 Reply
        Anonymous

I’m sure you won’t mind the debilitating drop in clock speed

• #37628 Reply
          Anonymous

Don’t know what you mean

• #37667 Reply
        Anonymous

>i’ll finally not have a cpu full of exploits and spyware.

Haha, this will trigger the incels like

Housefire cope

• #37622 Reply
      Anonymous

About two years ago I upgraded by i5 2400 with a Ryzen 5 2600.

• #37624 Reply
      Adam Steele

Intel Core I5 3450 here. Serving me well over 7 years. I had an AMD Athlon K2 before that.

• #37646 Reply
      Anonymous

The only situation where a game has used more than 2 cores is when you enable triple buffering.

That’s it.

• #37647 Reply
      Anonymous

Isn’t it funny how Intel shills will unironically say that a 5Ghz 2500K is better than Ryzen, but I had a 3570K at 4.6Ghz and it was stuttering like shit in Battlefield and couldn’t handle to have a music player open in the background in most games without also stuttering.
      I upgraded from 3570K to Ryzen 1700 with the same GPU and my FPS almost doubled, from stuttery 60fps to 110FPS give or take.
      I now have a 3700X and run BF1 and BFV at over 160fps at all times while GPU bottlenecked.
      Unironically the Intel shills try to push their pozzed stuttering housefires because they’re coping poorfags.
      Don’t listen to them. Ryzen is really good.
      I wish I hadn’t sold my 3570K so I could post comparisons of that piece of shit with my 3700X.

>inb4 schizo shill blabbering about 3Ghz

• #37648 Reply
        Anonymous

>5Ghz 2500K is better than Ryzen

yep

>I had a 3570K at 4.6Ghz and it was stuttering like shit in Battlefield

Learn how to build and set up a PC or buy a prebuilt

>Ryzen 1700

Enjoy your 3.2 GHz

>160fps

With future frame rendering on

>Ryzen is really good.

Cope

• #37652 Reply
          Anonymous

>4c4t stuttering is user error
          >Ryzen working perfectly is an AYYMD conspiracy

Enjoy your swiss cheese, melanoid.

• #37654 Reply
            Anonymous

You have 2 choices bro, you can either learn how to build and overclock your PC or you can enjoy your 3.6 GHz

It’s your choice

• #37673 Reply
              Anonymous

Fixed it for you, bro.

>You have 2 choices, bro. You can either learn how to build and overclock your PC or you can enjoy your 3.6 GHz.
              >It’s your choice.

• #37661 Reply
          Anonymous

>he said it again
          1700 is 3 GHZ, melanoid, not 3.2. get your facts right

• #37660 Reply
        Anonymous

based, can’t wait to go full ryzen too
        is the 3700x really that better than the 3600? poortrash here

• #37677 Reply
          Anonymous

Just get a 3600 and upgrade down the line (and sell or build a second PC with a 3600) once Zen3 comes.

• #37653 Reply
      Anonymous

Still rockin an i3 3240, at least until my 3700x arrives

• #37655 Reply
      Anonymous

Still using an 11 year old i7-860. Runs Metro Exodus with an Rx 580 fine though with a couple stutters.

• #37657 Reply
        Anonymous

I have a similar setup, an OC w3680 with an rx480, managed to get over 60fps in 1440p in Battlefields and so, pretty good for such an old cheap machine

• #37656 Reply
      Anonymous

Will my i7-4790k be able to handle it if i get something like the 2060/70 (or 30XX) in a couple of months? Im using a 970 right now but its showing its age

• #37676 Reply
        Anonymous

It is not your cpu that keeps your gayms from teaching a higher frame rate

• #37684 Reply
        Anonymous

I went from a 970 to a 2060 with an i7-4790k. Everything is great. I would only start to ponder about cpu upgrade when the new consoles come out.

• #37658 Reply
      Anonymous

3930k @4.2 GHz, still performs like a champ

• #37659 Reply
      Anonymous

i5 2500k, 750ti here.
      I want to upgrade, will the 3600 last me as long as the 2500k? or should I wait for the 4000 amd series?

• #37662 Reply
        Anonymous

If you need a new cpu now you should get one. If you don’t need one right now you should wait until you do.

The 3600 is a solid CPU that will last for a while.

• #37669 Reply
          Anonymous

>The 3600 is a solid CPU

Solid 3.8 GHz

• #37674 Reply
      Anonymous

>Any other CPUs that you have/had that stood the test of time?
      I swapped out my 1st gen Core i7 920 for a 3900x back in December.

The 920 lasted me a good decade, most of the games I play ran just fine with an appropriate GPU and some of the non-game related workloads I run on my machine only started to become too slow for my needs over the course of the last year or so.

• #37678 Reply
      Anonymous

i7-4770s to Ryzen 3900 here. Both 65w and both great chips. Sold the Intel for £85.

• #37679 Reply
      Anonymous

Will anything top westmere for longevity, 6 cores 12 threads and triple channel memory. Sandybridge wasn’t even an upgrade.

• #37687 Reply
      Anonymous

i`m running 4690k at 4.4 ghz. Should i upgrade it? To what?

• #37688 Reply
        Anonymous

Do you play CPU heavy games, or AAA games? If you do you may have noticed stutter.
        3600 is the best price/perf upgrade, 1600af/2600 is you’re strapped for cash

• #37690 Reply
          Anonymous

Mostly games like path of exile
          And maybe a game like resident evil 2 remake or shadow of tombraider
          I`m on a 3440×1440 100hz monitor

• #37702 Reply
          Anonymous

>3.2 GHz
          >perf upgrade

bruh

• #37704 Reply
            Anonymous

1Ghz Ryzen btfos 5GHz intel brah

• #37705 Reply
              Anonymous

Why are your clock speeds so low bro? Has AMD released a statement on this yet? Is there a BIOS patch coming up?

• #37706 Reply
                Anonymous

Why is your IPC and cache so low bro? Has Intel released a statement on this yet? Is there an architecture update coming up?

• #37707 Reply
                  Anonymous

You don’t use cache in the real world, you use RAM

• #37709 Reply
                    Anonymous

T. Cachelet

• #37710 Reply
                  Anonymous

This
                  >i5 9400 9MB L3 cache
                  >R5 3600 32MB L3 cache
                  Wtf is wrong with Intel?

• #37711 Reply
                    Anonymous

most programs today use 4 GB of RAM

not entirely sure what you’re hoping to achieve with your 32 MB of cache other than make your CPU look less shitty in cinebench

• #37708 Reply
                Anonymous
                • #37713 Reply
                  Anonymous

>5 GHz doesn’t matter in that instance

• #37715 Reply
                    Anonymous

FX was bottlenecked by its shit-tier IPC
                    Ryzen is bottlenecked by its shit-tier clock speeds

• #37717 Reply
                      Anonymous

Why is 1GHz Ryzen better than 5Ghz Intel?

• #37689 Reply
      Anonymous

Why is Intel so bad at moar coars?

• #37694 Reply
        Anonymous

>Why is Intel so bad at moar coars?
        Read the chart, dumbass.

• #37696 Reply
        Anonymous

Was on top for a decade, stagnated with 1-5% performance increases each year on the same core count, thought AMD would never catch up and they could sell 300 dollar quad cores forever.

• #37698 Reply
      Anonymous

>Non-k 4790 in my main pc, gaming with some other stuff in the background
      >i5-2400 in my homeserver, still underused, if I go all out on VM’s it runs out of ram well before cpu
      I do already have the itch for an upgrade though, will be a matter of which one tops out first.

• #37700 Reply
      Anonymous

Using haswell currently, man cant wait to utk upgrade to zen with new nvidia ampere

• #37701 Reply
        Anonymous

Based. I hate to be that guy, but wait for 4000 series. It’s already been almost a year since the 3000 series. By the time 4000 comes out amphere will also be out and you can just put together a whole new rig no problem.

• #37703 Reply
      Anonymous

You’re lucky to have had a 4790k to last that long. Mine popped like a fiery pimple four years ago. I still miss it.

• #37712 Reply
      Anonymous

I ran an fx8350 until last summer.

• #37714 Reply
      Anonymous

is the 3600 be the new 2500k?

• #37716 Reply
      Anonymous

Upgrading from 4690k to ryzen 3600. Pretty excited tbh

• #38928 Reply
      Anonymous

still running a core i7 950. 10 years strong!

Viewing 39 reply threads
Reply To: CPUs that stood the test of time
Your information:

Upload image to imgur:

Clicking submit = agreeing with the rules. Good posts may get edited and promoted to a blog post.