Anonymous

game
      >soulless
      same game with CRT filter
      >soul soul SOVL!

Anonymous

Deus Ex is soul with or without the filter

Anonymous

It’s a PC game, retard, they’re made in mind with high resolution most the time, so your garbage ass filter isn’t needed like for 320×240 console games.

Anonymous

>widescreen

no way fag

but also what

said

just play them in 4:3 of whatever your monitor’s native is, so 1440×1080

Anonymous

That dosn’t looks like a gently caressing CRT at all
      I hate CRT filters so gently caressing much. An entire generation now has this bizarre warped idea of what CRTs looked like based off of them.

Anonymous

This. gently caress zoomers and their shitty filters that do nothing to replicate how a CRT actually works as a completely different display technology. Either play on an actual CRT, which makes perfect sense for retro games, or gently caress off and play it on the modern display you play all your other shit on. t. boomer who uses real CRTs

Anonymous

that must have been close to how it looked for people who played it on release. really interesting to think people used to design games around the CRT monitors shitty image projection

Anonymous

>shitty image projection
        You know absolutely nothing zoomie. CRTs are so much better in motion you need 120hz OLED with black frame insertion to get close to it. Static images and doing desktop work on LCDs is better but that’s the only benefit. For gaming CRT is a superior technology, no questions asked, and it’s only with the advent of g-sync and OLED 4K HDR that CRTs start to become lacking for modern gaming, as ~1440p CRTs were a thing already in the early to mid-2000’s.

Anonymous

Its not how it looks at all.

Anonymous

>not playing modern games on a CRT instead
      ngmi

Anonymous

>buckling spring keyboard
        >thinknipple keyboard
        >shitty off brand red rgb gamer mouse
        You were almost based.

Anonymous

I played through Witcher 3 like this, on fitting medium settings, and I had a blast. Then I let my brother borrow my monitor and I turned the settings up on my IPS backup and it’s an entirely different experience. Didn’t play much till I got my trusty DELL back.

Anonymous

how do you hook it up? vga adapter?

Anonymous

>Blacklisted
        >large_breasts
        Whoa. The most homosexual poster on Ganker…

Anonymous

You must have mommy issues if you need big boobas to get off.

pls replace your your control key for a stepped key

I’m not gonna pay $5 for a key.

Anonymous

That’s him being a patrician. Cowtits are meh as gently caress. It’s all about small and perky tits.

Anonymous

pls replace your your control key for a stepped key

Anonymous

lol, 2 key roll over model m, what a sucker

Anonymous

2KRO is rarely an issue because most games are designed with that in mind anyway.

Anonymous

at least get something like an intellimouse you retarded pedo

Anonymous

I play pedophile games like A Hat in Time which work better on controllers.

Anonymous

Hatty Time has fantastic keyboard and mouse controls though. I didn’t even need to hook up a controller the whole time, they’re that good. More platformers should control this well.

Anonymous

You must have mommy issues if you need big boobas to get off.

[…]
        I’m not gonna pay $5 for a key.

I demand you stop posting alternate dimension me
        We have better things to do than post here

Anonymous

The HRT makes fapping rare. I should just waste more time on weed and music.

Anonymous

yeah I’ll get right on that

Anonymous

Look on faceberg marketplace it’s cheaper there.

Anonymous

I live in a small town, it’s 2021; all that stuff ends up in the dumpster.

Anonymous

Yeah but you’re not gonna find a 21" workstation monitor in the dump. Maybe back in 2008 you could have still done that.

Anonymous

youd be surprised. how much gold youll find on fb marketplace and whatever local listing you have in your area

Anonymous

Yeah but you’re not gonna find a 21" workstation monitor in the dump. Maybe back in 2008 you could have still done that.

this is the only thing I found related to old computer electronics after setting a 60km radius, some fag hoarding as much of the crap as possible and refusing to sell it.

Anonymous

wait youre in the toronto area? theres a guy in

[…]

giving away a free hp p1110. hit him up in that thread. i was going to pick it up myself but the borders are still closed

Anonymous

excuse me

[…]

not /vm/ lmao im retarded

Anonymous

no, I’m over 400km away, the hoarder faggot just put his ad in as many cities as possible

Anonymous

>1997
          >vintage

Anonymous

of course ebay is going to be gently caressed you have to ship a 40 pound fragile monitor.

Just go to a thrift store idiot and get one for like $10

Anonymous

it only looks like that if you shove your face against the screen, retard

Anonymous

I feel like this kind of filter showcases the drawbacks of CRTs (text legibility, distortion) without the benefits (deep blacks, motion clarity, resolution independence).
      It does go some way towards hiding the limited texture detail, but I don’t think that’s enough to make me want to play the whole game like this.

Anonymous

Thats not how a gently caressing CRT looks zoomtard.

Anonymous

It’s admittedly been a long time since I used one, but I do remember the mild distortion (and the phosphor pattern when I sat far too close). I’ll defer to you if you’ve recently used one, but it doesn’t seem all that far off to me.

Anonymous

>and the phosphor pattern when I sat far too close
            This is only a thing if you’re like 6” away from the screen, or your tube/flyback is dying, you shouldn’t ever see that in normal correctly functioning operation. Only time you’d really ever see scan lines/phosphor patterns is on low res (TV resolutions) at high sizes (26”+). So big arcade screens would be some of the few, but you also stood way closer to those then say you would be viewing a CRT TV from, like a couch across the room.

Anonymous

you wouldn’t say

Anonymous

this looks like the peak of SOVL
      but the curvature is cringe

Anonymous

How does one achieve a CRT effect on a PC game? Did someone make a sweetfx crt effect or something?

Anonymous

You don’t, not at least for Windows era stuff.
        There are filters that looks pritty good for lower rez things (think 640×480 and lower) but the higher the render resolution, the higher resolution of your screen would need to be to simulate the look. You’re going to start to need to get in to 8k displays to really get enough pixels to work with to simulate how say 1024×768 looked, and even then it still won’t look fully "correct". There is a lot that goes on subpixel with the glow of the phosphorus on CRTs.

Anonymous

Maggie Chow with CRT filter

Anonymous

mista jee cee denton, in da fresh!

Anonymous

Deus Ex with a CRT filter 2

Deus Ex with CRT filter 3

Deus Ex with CRT filter 4

deus ex will only look like this on a crt if the crt is broken. its gently caressing cringe that so many zoomers think everything before 2005 was a blurry fuzzy off-color mess.

Anonymous

It was a blurry off-color mess. You just remember it being clear because you didn’t know any better at the time.

Anonymous

oh thank you for posting that picture i totally forgot 200×200 monitors were the standard for pcs in 2000, you goddamn retard.

Anonymous

Man that takes me back. I still remember my old 19 inch CRT. So heavy. Then I took it with me to a LAN and had to carry it up and down stairs and shit.

Anonymous

This looks like complete gently caressing shit. It’s shit. The one and only benefit a CRT ever has is having no "native resolution" and thereby looking crisp no matter what resolution is set. That’s it. Unless you’re a nostalgia-addicted faggot, you wouldn’t have any desire to use one of these shitboxes ever again. gently caressing hipsters.

Anonymous

Anon, thats not even what a CRT looks like you retard. Its just a shitty shader filter.

Anonymous

No shit you mong. Actual CRTs didn’t look good either.

Anonymous

you know nothing gently caressing zoomer

Anonymous

I used CRT monitors until 2008, and CRT televisions until 2010. Cope harder, hipster faggot.

Anonymous

>boomer with zoomer sensibilities who’s ignorant to boot
            even worse than a real zoomer

Anonymous

DUHHH CIRNGE!!!! DUHHH BRINGE!!???!!1 CRINGE!!!!! IS THAT ALL YOU SHITPOSTING gently caressS CAN SAY!!??? DURR BASED BASED BASED CRINGE CRINGE BASED BASED CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE BASED CRINGE I FEEL LIKE IM IN A gently caressING ASYLUM FULL OF DEMENTIA RIDDEN OLD PEOPLE THAT CAN DO NOTHING BUT REPEAT THE SAME gently caressING WORDS ON LOOP LIKE A gently caressING BROKEN RECORD CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE BASED BASED CRINGE ONIONS ONIONS ONIONS SNOYY ONIONS LOL ONIONS!!! CRINGE!!!1 BOOMER!! LE ZOOMER!!!! I AM BOOMER!!!! NO ZOOM ZOOM ZOOMIES ZOOMER GOING ZOOMIES AHGHGH I gently caressING HATE THE INTERNET SO GODDAMN MUCH gently caressJK YOU SHITPOST I HONEST TO GOD HOPE YOUR MOTHER CHOKES ON HER OWN FECES IN HELL YOU COCKSUCKER VUT OHHH I KNOWM MY POST IS CRINGE ISNT IT?? CRINGE CRINGE CRINGR CRINGEY BASED CRINGE BASED REDDIT REDDIT CRINGE ZOOM CRINGE ONIONS REDDIT BASED BASED!!!!!!

Anonymous

Ignore him OP you have SOVL

Anonymous

>Unless you’re a nostalgia-addicted faggot, you wouldn’t have any desire to use one of these shitboxes ever again. gently caressing hipsters.

Anonymous

Based. The ignorant faggot doesn’t even know what motion clarity is so if you post this to his face 100 times maybe he’ll start to understand.

Anonymous

Based

Anonymous

Based
          How do we defeat the smeary blurry menace that is sample-and-hold?

Anonymous

LCDs can solve this by outputting 120hz and flashing a black frame in between, which tends to make the image darker

it solves things. is not optimal nor perfect as crt. but it helps.

Anonymous

my lcd does this and it doesnt do shit but give me a headache

Anonymous

it "solves" the image problem not yours.

in any case. there’s a reason why playing at 60 fps is now seen as bad. LCDs ruined it.

Anonymous

honestly the black strobe method is shit, yeah it’s *technically* a non-blurry and crisp image, but somehow it does this by unblurring and crisping the blur and pixel bleed. so now you have the same messy ghost trail, but it’s crisp and smooth, so you have this weird double/triple/quadruple vision thing going on even at low framerates, and it looks worse than the blur.

Anonymous

I actually went and took a phone picture to show how ugly it is

Anonymous

i believe it. but is not like phones can take pictures of fast shit without introducing blur.

Anonymous

the blur is from my phone, all the ghosting and trails are from the monitor. imagine a perfect CRT clarity with 50 different ghost trails and a splitting migraine. it’s shit

Anonymous

I remember playing on my first 60hz LCD screen when I was younger.
                  The difference was so jarring compared to the CRT, a flatout downgrade.

Anonymous

to be fair, early flatscreens were all god awful in general. they were great for workstations but terrible for games and video.

Anonymous

>60hz bad
                  >new thing
                  I needed to get the tube up to 90hz just to stop hearing the high pitched screech and around 100hz to stop seeing the flicker.

Anonymous

most shit sound if the capacitors are trash. not by the hz/refreshrate alone.

Anonymous

git fuggen good

Anonymous

You forgot the second and also benefit of having dithering work in old games where it’s expected to give a blending effect, dumbass.

Anonymous

Based

Anonymous

Deus Ex with a CRT filter 2

Anonymous

holy gently caressing soul

Anonymous

Looks great. God I miss CRTs

Anonymous

Was the curve on the glass really that pronounced on most crts? I probably haven’t looked at one in 20ish years, I’m not a zoomer.

Anonymous

UI looks shit, rest is ok

Anonymous

Been running a 13 inch CRT through an HDMI to AV adapter.
      For normal PC use it leaves a lot to be desired but for 4:3 video and old PC games it looks fantastic.
      I got a good price on a Dell E773c CRT PC monitor and I’ve been getting really excited for it to come in on Monday.
      Im planning on using it mostly for 4:3 anime and emulation, but I’m also going to use it as an excuse to go through DOS era games that I pretty much have zero experience with.
      I’m pretty excited as long as my monitor isn’t warped and got gently caressed up colors, it’s going to be great.

Anonymous

God I wanna get a CRT and emulate old games at high resolution on it

Anonymous

Are we all just taking the piss or is a CRT a worthy investment? I’ve got a 165hz monitor that works like a dream, and another one that I’d probably like to get rid of. CRT seems gimmicky enough that I can get a different use out of it compared to my 165hz. What are some games that actually look better?

Anonymous

It’s too late to get a good CRT, unless you’re ready to spend thousands of dollars.

Anonymous

Okay, thanks anon!

Anonymous

What makes a good CRT?

Anonymous

95kHz 17" is the cutoff for PC CRTs.
            Ideal CRT is 140kHz+ and 21" trinitron.
            kHz is for the scan rate. That’s what you want to look for in 2021. The higher the scanrate the better you can make the refresh rate at high resolutions.
            Interlacing allows you to push the refresh rates even higher without much quality loss.

Anonymous

I played exclusively on a CRT television from like 2000 to 2018. It’s much blurrier than LCD screens and reading text can strain your eyes but it’s a pretty unique experience otherwise. I can’t say it’s objectively superior to my 144Hz 1440p IPS monitor I have now but it’s definitely nice to play on every once in a while. Many older games were designed to be played on them and you’ll get an ‘authentic’ experience for whatever that’s worth. I love playing N64 and PS2 games on CRT.

Anonymous

Oh if you do get a CRT, I highly recommend you play Metroid Prime on it in a dark room. The ‘warmth’ of the display and the deep blacks really suit that game, perhaps more than any other game I’ve ever played.

Anonymous

>What are some games that actually look better?
        Every single pixel game in existence.

Anonymous

>people always go for that super obvious BULGE look
      No CRT ever gently caressing looked like that. It did a little but not to the extent shit was warping like that.

Anonymous

What the gently caress are you talking about? I swear, you zoomdiverse folk have made the "CRT’s WERE ACTUALLY FLAT" meme so gently caressing obnoxious. They were curved and that filter is barerly as curvy as some of the ones I used growing up.

TL;DR have a nice day.

Anonymous

>"CRT’s WERE ACTUALLY FLAT"
          They weren’t but not curved in a obvious manner like that unless you were directly staring at it like a gently caressing mouth breathing midwit. From a distance you barely noticed it at all.

Anonymous

You’re either blind or your just a dumb zoomer trying to be a contrarian. Get gently caressed.

Anonymous

>They weren’t but not curved in a obvious manner
            Lots of cheap CRTs had huge curves. And it wasn’t until the 80s and 90s that you started to see flatter screens.

Anonymous

Some crt’s actually are flat. I have a couple. But most had a very sexy curve

Anonymous

Are we all just taking the piss or is a CRT a worthy investment? I’ve got a 165hz monitor that works like a dream, and another one that I’d probably like to get rid of. CRT seems gimmicky enough that I can get a different use out of it compared to my 165hz. What are some games that actually look better?

>What are some games that actually look better
        Anything that runs at 60fps
        Assuming your meme 165hz monitor doesn’t support black frame insertion ( which is a safe assumption especially at such a low framerate since modern monitor makers flat out refuse to allow it)

Anonymous

Looks awesome but I dislike the curvature going on in the corners. It looked awful on CRT and looks awful on everything else.

Anonymous

>filter
      unless this shit emulates the interlacing it’s GARBAGE

Anonymous

>unless this shit emulates the strobing it’s GARBAGE
        Fixed

Anonymous

Yeah, even with that though it would just be subpar, motion wouldn’t be anywhere near as clear

Anonymous

Well yeah unless you’re an Oled CHAD

Anonymous

>Cut your OLED brightness down to be worse than CRTs
              Only downside.

Anonymous

Deus Ex with CRT filter 3

Anonymous

Unbind F12 in user.ini.

Anonymous

>He doesn’t play every game with a CBT filter

Anonymous

That shit ran at like 800×600 tops back in the day, what are you doing

Anonymous

>2001
        >800×600
        Fairly sure I was running at 1024×768 back then, and I was poor as gently caress
        Besides, this is downsampled somewhat from 1080p, with some anti-aliasing added in reshade for smoothness

Anonymous

The UI is definitely not made for high-resolution screens.

Anonymous

I agree, but running at 800×600 on 1080p LCD screen looks like ass, the point of the CRT filter is to be able to run at a lower resolution (downsample) while not looking like a blurry mess

What I was trying to say in my last post was that by downsampling, you’re rendering an equivalent of a res lower than 1080p

The HRT makes fapping rare. I should just waste more time on weed and music.

just exercise and build muscle and you won’t feel ashamed of being a man, friend – you don’t need the HRT pill

Anonymous

>just exercise and build muscle
              Already fell for that meme years ago, didn’t work.

Anonymous

You’re going to commit suicide.

Anonymous
                  Anonymous

You’re going to commit suicide.

>identity politics.txt

Anonymous

I’m trying to help you, anon. If you do this, you’re going to have a nice day.

Anonymous

Why wouldn’t you want a reject to kill itself anyway? You find its "how do you do fellow Gankerers" attempts amusing or something?

Anonymous

INSTANT SOULFILLED
      CRT Chads always won.

Anonymous

Deus Ex with CRT filter 4

Anonymous

Scan direction is horizontal on crt’s dumbass op. And they weren’t visible. The prominent “feature” was lack of high resolution and it caused colors to blur.

Anonymous

don’t use crt filters at less than QHD, it’s embarassing

Anonymous

crt thread

Anonymous

>hhkb
        dangerously based

Anonymous
      Anonymous

omgggg crt filter over old game

Anonymous

jesus christ how horrifying

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>CRT

Dues X was a PC game, not a console game.

Anonymous

woah

Anonymous

Looks like dogshit, I’ll stick with no filters, thank you.

Anonymous

Why do filters make people so angry?

Anonymous

Deus Ex with CRT filter 5

Anonymous

That isn’t what CRTs look like. It’s better than nothing, but it’s not the same.

Anonymous

You’re right. They look like this.

Anonymous

wow

Anonymous

Are these the shaders you guys are using with Reshade? I might give these a try.

https://github.com/Matsilagi/RSRetroArch

Anonymous

OP here, I’m using the the CRT_lottes shader, (in FXShaders by luluco250) with a subtle chromatic abberation and flare. Deus Ex is running on OpenGL

Definitely worth exploring the options presented by other anons though

Anonymous

Oh, and DLAA and a Technicolor filter

Anonymous

Thanks I will check them out

Anonymous

>playing 3D games on a CRT
      nah

Anonymous

CRT filters are still great for 3D games that have very low texture resolutions, see the entire N64 catalog

OP’s images look good also

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Anonymous

test

Anonymous

>he didn’t play Deus Ex when it came out on a real CRT

Anonymous

Eh i only really care about using CRT filters on pixel art.
      Seems useless on these games.

Anonymous

[…]

no one is saying stole it.

ask boss to give it to you. "not buy" so he doesn’t have to make a gently caressing ticket for something that has tons of regulations to buy or sell.

Anonymous

i dont think you understand how retail works. they cant just start giving away the trash because then if you want something you just mark it as trash and take it. every major retailer works this way because people cant be trusted to not steal.

Anonymous

I know how it is. but to me you’re just a pussy that wont do anything.

Anonymous

to me, youre just a neet thats never had a job.

Anonymous

Why does this look like I’m seeing it through a screendoor?
      Not the first game time a game’s looked like that but it’s been a while. Is it my shitty monitor or more likely to be something with my GPU or both?

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.