Did Nintendo’s intellectual property actually benefited by sending a DMCA to the developer? I woul…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Did Nintendo’s intellectual property actually benefited by sending a DMCA to the developer? I woul…

• This topic has 254 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Did Nintendo’s intellectual property actually benefited by sending a DMCA to the developer? I would have just hired the man.

Anonymous

Microsoft hired that man for Ori which ended up coming to Switch so it’s like they did.

Anonymous

Some rando making something after like 6 years means nothing as far as employment goes. It doesn’t tell how well he can work with a large team, in an office, how efficient he is, if he can work with tight deadlines, nothing and I’m tired of people thinking that it does. It just means he had enough knowledge and had a lot of time to himself.

Anonymous

Then he could be hired as a contractor to mentor the people nintendo does employ, who have obviously demonstrated that they do not have the knowledge

Anonymous

You don’t know if those men people want them to hire can even suit being a contractor since they’re taking all this time not even being in the industry at large, just in a basement toiling away.

Anonymous

>just in a basement toiling away.
            He’s perfect.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Ori is its own IP, for one, so even if they weren’t scooped up by someone else it could stand on its own two legs if it got enough people interested. I’m for people making their own shit, but actually have it be your own.

Anonymous

Worked well for Valve with Counterstrike, Portal, Left for Dead and Dota
        >It doesn’t tell how well he can work with a large team, in an office
        So don’t force them into a cucked environment, just give them extra money and reasources and let them do their thing.

Anonymous

Teams that are shown to actually do something new and do them competently vs one person are much easier to get started and help. One person can’t really do a lot in a timely manner.

Anonymous

>One person can’t really do a lot in a timely manner
            There are plenty of 10x devs out there that prove otherwise

Anonymous

>just give a guy money and he might make a good game in a year or so
          Surely you can’t be this retarded

Anonymous

Worked for valve.

Anonymous

but you see, only cucked environments are allowed anymore.

Anonymous

aren’t all of those besides CS effectively ended/dead?

Anonymous

People still play all of them and dota 2 is currently running the biggest prizepool tournament in gaming.

Anonymous

>People still play all of them
              apparently not enough to warrant a new game. even after employing fans of the series that made shit for free before but not when being paid
              >and dota 2 is currently running the biggest prizepool tournament in gaming
              good for the pro players I guess. dota 2 doesn’t seem to be dying as I previously thought

Anonymous

>apparently not enough to warrant a new game
                You know we’re talking about Valve right? Either way in the case of L4D they split off to go make Evolve after and ate shit.
                >dota 2 doesn’t seem to be dying as I previously thought
                Ganker claims everything that isn’t WotLK wow is dead numbers.

Anonymous

how long so you want singleplayer games to be alive

Anonymous

it tells me they know a ton about finishing a project and not overextending their reach

Anonymous

Yeah if only any of those things were important for making a good game….

Anonymous

They very much are important anon.

Anonymous

stfu corpo melanoid, it worked with valve. am2r is better than samus returns

Anonymous

>am2r is better than samus returns

Anonymous

>one runs at 30 FPS, the other runs at 60 FPS

Also, AM2R is less cinematic. SR and Dread border on cinematic movieshit. See pic related.

Anonymous

Somebody that can finish a quality project is already living in a different reality to abject consoomers who can only manage to wageslave inebriate and spend for 60 years before dying of a preventable lifestyle driven illness. Regardless of how well they work in a group speaks less of them than it does of people that couldn’t contribute meaningfully to their culture given the same amount of time

Anonymous

This
        It’s better to just hire untanlented pajeets instead

Anonymous

It benefit by hiding the fact that some guy made a better job than an AAA company

Anonymous

Inspiration for Raven Beak and his robots?

Anonymous

I mean, there’s no doubt in my mind that the devs played AM2R. It could very well have had an influence especially since their game was compared unfavorably to it. Dread feels like a redemption arc where they stepped up their game.

Anonymous

This. Not a bad thing. It’s not like SR is bad, it’s just that AM2R is better

Anonymous

>since their game was compared unfavorably to it
          Not really. Most preferred SR to AM2R as far as gameplay went.

Anonymous

SR was shit. Dread is also shit, but less so.

Anonymous

I have to agree. Am2r’s notoriety came from the fact that it was in development for a long time and the dmca. It was very rare to see people actually talk about the gameplay.

Anonymous

Since SR, gameplay discussion about AM2R ultimately boiled down to comparing Diggernaut to the Tester

Anonymous

Before Dread, i’ve heard people bitching about SA start-stop counter attack gimmick. Only thing SA has over AM2R is 360 aiming.

Anonymous

>Only thing SA has over AM2R is 360 aiming.
              And pretty much everything else other than the 2.5d aesthetic.

Anonymous

People praise SM and ZM to the moon and back. Having as unchanged as possible is what some people wanted.

Anonymous

I dont know man. I’m loving Dread but I still think AM2R feels better to replay than SR.

Anonymous

You can think that but objectively speaking it’s below the bar of what many expect from a metroid game.

Anonymous

360 aiming isn’t a benefit.

Anonymous

>360 aiming isn’t a benefit
                  Retard alert.

Anonymous

>Being forced to stay immobile to aim anywhere except horizontally
                    VS
                    >Clicking a single button and being able to aim diagonally upward or downward

Anonymous

but you can aim up while running…

Anonymous

Shhhh!
                        Let him be retarded

Anonymous

Not in SR

Anonymous

>gets called a retard
                      >outs himself and dispels all doubt

Anonymous

I can understand where he’s coming from. He may have poor hand eye coordination.

Anonymous

AM2R is one of the most fun to just explore the world and have multiple pathways to choose from. It’s only detriment are the Metroid fights.

Anonymous

>i’ve heard people bitching about SA start-stop counter attack gimmick
              Here’s the thing, it’s not nearly as prevalent as people think especially since for the most part it was optional.

Anonymous

people actuallyused the counter attack in that game? I pretty much never did except when it was absolutely necessary for a boss mechanic.

Anonymous

Most people didn’t.

Anonymous

>Most preferred SR to AM2R as far as gameplay went
            Hahahahah no

Anonymous

You know, as opposed to the same enemy type you fight twice in Super Metroid.

Anonymous

Did they have jet packs though?

Anonymous

What do jetpacks have to do with anything.

Anonymous
                Anonymous

Do you know what a jetpack is?

Anonymous

They can be used by individuals to allow individuals to fly. Please why are you trying to purposely ignore that?

Anonymous

Anon, wings are not jetpacks.

Anonymous

I honestly can’t tell if you are arguing that wings are jetpacks or that AM2R invented the idea of Chozo having wings.

Anonymous

For crying out loud Raven Beak literally is wearing armor that makes him look like the countless other chozo robots in the game, and then he takes out his wings during the boss fight.

Anonymous

>For crying out loud Raven Beak literally is wearing armor that makes him look like the countless other chozo robots
                        Yes anon, wearing metal does make you look less like a creature of flesh and blood.
                        >and then he takes out his wings during the boss fight.
                        And?

Seems like you just want to attribute anything to AM2R when barely anyone played it.

Anonymous

>For crying out loud Raven Beak literally is wearing armor that makes him look like the countless other chozo robots
                        Yes? What did you expect chozo battle armor designed to fit a chozo to look like?

Anonymous

You have to understand anon, the people who played AM2R have never played a metroid game.

Anonymous

Seeing all those threads complaining about being stuck on the dumbest shit when AM2R was new got me every time

Anonymous

he can’t fly tho

Anonymous

>Inspiration for Raven Beak and his robots?
        >robots
        Those are dead chozo infected by X, not robots.

Anonymous

>why should I buy a 3DS + game for this remake if I could just download a free one on my computer
      considering the dozens that still cry over AM2R existing to this day I think this is a valid mindset that exists

Anonymous

>why should I buy a 3DS + game for this remake if I could just download a free one on my computer
        And you can still do it today regardless. Nintendo for some reason had to wait until it already went public.

Anonymous

>considering the dozens that still cry over AM2R existing to this day
        It’s more the other way around with people trying to suggest Am2r while pooping on SR whenever possible.

Anonymous

oh no that’s what I meant, I meant the dozens existing, not AM2R existing

Anonymous

Certain companies keep an absolute zero tolerance policy towards unofficial fan games because once you accept one it tends to be hard to stop.

They went after AM2R because its not about if its good or not, its about making sure that people don’t go "Oh my god look at how popular this fan remake was I should make my OWN fan remake!" and then you have people thinking Nintendo is ok with their Mario and Ninja Turtles crossover fan game.

Basically, let one slip through and you open an entire can of worms.

Anonymous

Wow some people will make some shitty meme games! This will surely destroy your multi-billion dollar company!

Anonymous

Can you blame a company for not wanting to risk an IP they own to become a fan fiction cesspool like Sonic the Hedgehog?

Anonymous

Considering the only reason Sonic hasn’t been relegated to the graveyard of forgotten 90’s scotformer cereal mascots is continued fan engagement like that over the years, yeah I’d say it’s worth the cringe for them.

Anonymous

what do you mean Sonic has been deader than a doornail for years
              the only reason they let fans make games is because they can’t do it themselves

Anonymous

>Sonic has been deader than a doornail for years
                he got a movie in the last few years (which is getting a sequel) and there are still constant releases of games, either new ones or remakes/remasters, I think there’s even some new animated series in the works too

that’s not dead, shit like Aero the acrobat is dead, Sonic has been kept alive by it’s autistic fanbase keeping it alive and a part of that is due to Sega letting them make fangames like Sonic robo blast 2, Sonic Utopia, Sonic Mania (which was purchased and made official early in development) etc
                you can ask a modern child what sonic the hedgehog is and they will at least have heard of it because it still exists in the public conscious, ergo, it’s not dead

Anonymous

You say that like that hasn’t already happened

Anonymous

Sonic is a property that’s benefited immensely from fan projects, though. Mania wouldn’t exist without that background. Capcom have historically been somewhat lax, too.

Anonymous

Metroid is literally nowhere near the level of fanshit trash of even the mid-2000s Sonic scene.

Anonymous

You have the potential loss of the traders and copyright if you don’t defend your creations.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

>floette wasn’t lv 69
            Amateur

Anonymous

>its about making sure that people don’t go "Oh my god look at how popular this fan remake was I should make my OWN fan remake!" and then you have people thinking Nintendo is ok with their Mario and Ninja Turtles crossover fan game.
        Yet they still fucking do it.

Anonymous

>LOYALTY TO THE BRAND

Anonymous

Meanwhile Capcom adopts and officially releases fangames.

Anonymous

>what is SEGA and Sonic Mania: A game made by romhackers and Sonic autists
        >what is SEGA and the Taxman remasters
        >what is CAPCOM and Mega Man x Street Fighter
        >what is Konami literally hiring indie devs and fans to make titles for their legacy IPs
        >what is SEGA allowing indie-tier studios to handle their IPs like Streets of Rage, Monster World and Alex Kidd
        >what is Valve and CS, Portal, L4D, and DOTA
        Fucking retard.

Anonymous

Nah. AM2R is indeed impressive for a fan game, but it’s just a whole bunch of copy pasted assets nowhere near the level of professional work.

Anonymous

Dreadfully low quality bait, but nice try guy

Anonymous

>cant disprove it
          Aint bait when its true.

Anonymous

>near the level of professional work
        Have you seen the state of the industry?

Anonymous

Fan games that get finished are the worst thing for the people who made them since it means they can’t get hired to make the game official with a big company.

Anonymous

You could always hire them and give them some extra resources to make an "enhanced" edition to sell like Cave Story or something.

Anonymous

Cave Story is actually a really bad example, the creator really got the short end of the stick in the end of that arrangement

Anonymous

Tell that to the dude that made Hunt Down the Freeman.

Anonymous

Black Mesa is now a full priced game on steam.

Anonymous

He ended up working on Ori, which was inferior to MercuryStream’s Metroid games, so I’d say they won.

Anonymous

They’re very different games, and both excellent at what they set out to do

Anonymous

You know I always thought Nintendo let the game get made. It was in dev for half a decade, and was very well known about. It wasn’t like it shadowdropped one day. I’m sure I even recall a Nintendo rep just handwaving it away as a question a few years before release. The fact they waited for it to get finished before the DMCA is really odd because they could have canned it at any stage, like they do for everything else.

Anonymous

I’ve thought about that, too. There’s little chance they didn’t know or forgot about it. The early demos were around years before the finished game came out.

Anonymous

NINTENDO
      HIRE
      THIS

yeah, they should have come onto the dev, talked to him, maybe made the game a Switch exclusive or something like that, the game is fucking great, miles better than Samus Returns

Anonymous

What is this

Anonymous

4 references to Fusion that show up in AM2R

Anonymous

But that’s really stupid, is it not? It’s assuming SR388 had these monsters made? Nightmare was a GF creation

Anonymous

they’re just references, little nods
              I mean, nobody takes Metroid lore seriously, it’s just "oh, cool" and move on at best

Anonymous

REEEEEEEE

Anonymous

But that’s really stupid, is it not? It’s assuming SR388 had these monsters made? Nightmare was a GF creation

they’re just references, little nods
            I mean, nobody takes Metroid lore seriously, it’s just "oh, cool" and move on at best

>"reference"
            More like using sprites he didn’t own.

Anonymous

Oh no! he reused some sprites in a background and edited them anyway, in his free fangame the horror!

Anonymous

you will never be a woman

Anonymous

I thought it was interesting the dmca came after the release when the project was very visible in demo phases. Sort of like the DMCA was meant to officially condemn fan games, while sidestepping the massive backlash of shutting down years and years of work.

Anonymous

>Did Nintendo’s intellectual property actually benefited by sending a DMCA to the developer?
      Are you fucking stupid? Of course it did.
      >I would have just hired the man.
      And that’s why you’re not in a position that can hire anyone.

Anonymous

They could have hired that man, tell him to continue to work on AM2R, then sell it for 30 (if not 60) dollars.

Anonymous

Maybe. Their strat as a general rule is to keep every one of their IPs under their control and on their platforms – you want Nintendo, you buy Nintendo. Setting the precedent that it’s alright to do whatever the fuck with certain IPs as long as they think it’s good is sort of the opposite of that strat.

Anonymous

This. Their strategy is the same as Apple, and you know why? Because it fucking works. You know retarded you’d look if you were a teenager in high school with a fucking Android phone? Green text bubbles are the laughingstock of the Internet right now. Airpods are insanely popular. That’s how much pull Apple has on society. Nintendo knows that they can do the same for games, and looking at recent sales, it’s worked, as much as it makes everyone seethe.

Anonymous

>Their strategy is the same as Apple,
          That isn’t remotely close to apple.

Anonymous

>keep everything in your own walled garden, jack your prices up, and sue the hell out of anyone who crosses you
            How is it not like Apple?

Anonymous

>keep everything in your own walled garden
              You don’t even know what this means do you. If it were a walled garden the switch wouldn’t have nearly as many games. As it does now.
              >jack your prices up,
              Except they always have the cheapest system and their games are always standard price. I’d give you a company who has recently jacked up prices but you can’t mention them without someone going ballistic these days.
              >and sue the hell out of anyone who crosses you
              Anon, everyone does that. Not just apple, not just Nintendo, everyone.

Anonymous

>and their games are always standard price.
                Yeah, always, as in, their prices never go down, and you can’t get games at a discount, you know, like every other (sensible) console manufacturer.

Anonymous

>Yeah, always, as in, their prices never go down, and you can’t get games at a discount, you know, like every other (sensible) console manufacturer.
                  So now you’re saying that Sony and Microsoft are more like apple? After all their products start of at a high price and then steadily get lower over time to make way for the next just like apple.

Anonymous

>Yeah, always, as in, their prices never go down
                  Not him but how does that make them overpriced exactly?

Anonymous

Because $60 for Xenoblade 2 when you can pay half that for Persona 5 Royal is ridiculous and nobody would buy that unless they’re crazy (i.e. most Nintendo fans).

Anonymous

Okay, but you still haven’t answered the question. How does that make them overpriced? It isn’t being sold over the standard price which is the definition of over priced.

Anonymous

The standard price for an old game should be $30 yet Nintendo’s games from 2017 are still being sold for $60 as if it isn’t 2021 and we haven’t moved onto bigger and better things such as Cyberpunk.

Anonymous

>The standard price for an old game should be $30
                        Then the standard price for games in general would have to be 30.
                        >Cyberpunk
                        Trash taste aside what makes you think games should suddenly depreciate in value? They don’t age.

Anonymous

>games don’t age
                        Try playing any PS1 or N64 game in 2021 and then come back and tell me it didn’t age lol. All the old 3D Zeldas have literally aged like milk and you can watch the Game Grumps series on them to see why.

Anonymous

>Try playing any PS1 or N64 game in 2021 and then come back and tell me it didn’t age lol.
                        Funny you would mention that since I did my yearly run off BoF 3 not too long ago. Holds up just fine.
                        Here’s a secret anon, if a game "ages" then it was never good in the first place.

Anonymous

>Here’s a secret anon, if a game "ages" then it was never good in the first place.
                        Not the case, but advancements in game designs can render older games obsolete.

Anonymous

>Not the case
                        It’s very much the case.
                        >but advancements in game designs can render older games obsolete.
                        HA no. Especially not with AAA games regressing and making games clunky for the sake of "realism".

Anonymous

AAA trash going full tilt retard doesn’t make it not true anon.

Anonymous

When a modern AAA game is worse than one made 20 years ago I would say the idea of aging games doesn’t exist.

Anonymous

>Not the case
                        Not him but name one game that was good back then and is now considered bad.

Anonymous

>games age bro
                        >trust these two fucking retards as proof
                        Um.
                        No anon, I’m not a drooling retard like you.
                        Plus why should a game gt its pice slashed in half after a month?
                        You do realize that is the publisher admitting the game should never have been sold at its initial price of 60…or now even 70 bucks..and they willingly scammed your ass.
                        You’re an idiot.

Anonymous

You’re not wrong, you’d have to be crazy to buy persona.

Anonymous

Is this how other people buy games? If I want to play Xenoblade then I’m going to buy Xenoblade. It doesn’t matter that Persona is cheaper if what I want to play is Xenoblade. For that matter, I may have already bought Persona.

Anonymous

>keep everything in your own walled garden
              The fuck?
              Anon, a walled garden in reference to apple is about their heavily curated store. The same can’t be said about Nintendo’s eshop.

Anonymous

American copyright law requires you to shut down/DMCA projects like AM2R, if it goes uncontested they risk losing the rights to the entire IP.

Anonymous

No, you fucking retard.

Anonymous

never played this. just downloaded this from a site that was the first hit on google. hope its not a virus

Anonymous

why would you waste your time making an awesome game if you don’t own the ip?

he deserved it for wasting his time

Anonymous

>I would have just hired the man.
      Are you 12?

Anonymous

It tends to work, though? Sonic Mania? The results of HIRING THAT MAN.

Anonymous

Don’t forget a THAT MAN was HIRED to save Sonic’s atrocious movie design too

Anonymous

The same guy that made this, no less.

Anonymous

That used to be a common practice back in the day to hire good modders to work on your games or expansions.

But now its all run by suits and legal depts. And it sucks dick now.

Anonymous

>not hiring a man with a working portfolio that has tons of experience with solo projects
        Are you?

Anonymous

I Belive 100% that if this guy had made a pitch to nintendo they would hired him, nintendo loves indie devs but they like professionalism

Anonymous

I mean he’s got credits on the new Ori, which is on the Switch, so it all rounds out.

Anonymous

Definitely, I mean just look at Cadence of Hyrule. Devs just wanted to use some zelda music for the switch version of Necrodancer and were approved for an entire game.

Anonymous

lol no

>leave AM2R alone for a bit
      >Samus Returns releases
      >make your money
      >well dries up and Samus Returns sells what it’s going to sell
      >years later, DMCA AM2R
      >Reporting on the story talks about how both parties are "working out a deal"
      >AM2R resurfaces as a paid game with Nintendo’s stamp of approval
      >Nintendo get’s to sell yet another Metroid game that they spent $0 in development time along with Samus Returns

Win/Win

Anonymous

Still waiting on Pokefags to make that perfect 8k, 60 fps Pokemon game with every single Pokemon available in the perfect mix, with perfect leveling for all trainers, a level curve that makes the game difficult for veteran players, perfectly balanced metagame, and the ability to use every single Pokemon they’ve ever caught.

They keep claiming that it would only take two people a month to do it, but none of them ever do. Hell, where’s the mod for SwSh that adds all Pokemon, all moves, and better, fully articulated models? I was told that would be ready within a month after release.

Anonymous

>They keep claiming that it would only take two people a month to do it
        no they don’t
        >I was told that would be ready within a month after release.
        no you weren’t

Anonymous

You’re deeply underestimating the stupidity of Pokefags and their even more idiotic fangame creators.

Anonymous

nice blog fag

Anonymous

Every single aspect as a combo has never been desired, as far as I know. Pokemon Sage did a lot right for the balancing, leveling curve, difficulty, and all pokemon able to be used at endgame, due to having different roles.

Anonymous

it takes a special kind of autist to care about pokemon this much
        the moment I knew that there was an entire turbo autist community dedicated to competitive pokemon with stupid amounts of min maxing and dick measuring, I knew I outgrew the whole franchise

Anonymous

>tfw you remember friends getting legitimately angry that the official Strategy Guide for HGSS mentioned IVs and EVs because "now the causals will know!"

I’m glad we got to experience pic related, but I’m more glad I stopped playing after Gen 4.

Anonymous

Unironiclly yes. Dread would not have been a big of a hit if Metroid fans weren’t starved

Anonymous

>Dread is easily outselling every other Metroid game
        >Its only being bought because Metroid fans are desperate

Anonymous

Yes. You’ve been given instructions on how to emulate and everything with Nintendo’s reputation online being dirt low and you still choose to eat shit

Anonymous

Nice bait attempt, but it is coming on too strongly.

Next time make sure you disguise the hook a bit better.

Anonymous

blocked people from seeing the superior remake

Anonymous

What game?

Anonymous

AM2R had this little thing where you would get scans of the enemies and places you visited. I would have loved that in Dread.

Anonymous

if fucking half life could survive hunt down the freeman with alyx moving hundreds of thousands of expensive as fuck peripherals I highly doubt any fan game would do anything to any brand

nintendo are just fucking retarded poopyholes like always

Anonymous

Yes, because it buzzed up coverage about both games, have you seen how many SR/AM2R comparison/analysis/retrospective/review videos there are?

Anonymous

If youre making a cool thing that has a nintendo title in it
      Shut the fuck up about it, retard
      literally just don’t, just release it and slip away

Best part is we got 2 fucking 2D metroid games of Samus Returns
      exactly the "sweet 2 cakes" image

literally everyone won

Anonymous

But what made it unique, is that while they were very public about it for years, Nintendo did not say a single word until after it was already released publicly.

Anonymous

>it was a shame that he got DMCA?
      yes
      >it would have been better if nintnedo just hired him?
      Fuck no, they would have downgraded the product if anything

the argentinian dev, wrote a love letter to metroid enjoyers for fucking free, in a time when there was ZERO interest on metroid coming from nintendo
      the only people pooping on AM2R are zealous nintendo drones
      they just don’t understand their own audience, apparently only spics can make decent metroid games (dread, AM2R) now

Anonymous

>the only people pooping on AM2R
        Anon, no one shits on it.

Anonymous

>dread, AM2R
        Only one of these games was made by a spic.

Anonymous

don’t even start that gay discussion you know what I meant

Anonymous

Use the right slur then, melanoid.

Anonymous

Not the first or the last thing that nintendo DMCA’d.
      Nintendo is well know for not allowing anything that could potentially equal or best than their products maded.
      Things like uranium, fanfics, histories, plots, etc, nintendo does not like this.
      They just like that you buy anything from theirs and not potentially consume from a third pary (Ignoring that is not gaining profits at all).

From the most companies out there, nintendo is probably in the industry of game the most jealous of their own contents.
      >Including to the point of DMCA some streamers from wii, switch and similar few years ago.
      Dont know how agresive still nintendo is about their content but anything that you do and have a little spin of fame is going to be chased down by the big red N

Anonymous

I just found out today someone made a fully functional Switch port. Pretty based tbqh.

Anonymous

Man, it would be so cool if Zero Mission, AM2R, Super, and Fusion were all on one Switch cartridge.

Anonymous

Why do people love to perform fellatio on the video game equivalent to fan faction? I guess it feels more like other Metroid games compared to the garbage Mercury Stream has shat out but at least it’s official shit.

Anonymous

Other than the enemy scans, there is nothing what I would call fanfiction. It’s just a unofficial remake.

Anonymous

>there is nothing what I would call fanfiction.
          So you haven’t played AM2R then.

Anonymous

Are you saying that the two optional secret areas, are enough to make the entire thing fanfiction?

Anonymous

Because they assume that fangames "fix" what was wrong with regular releases, when 90% of fangames are still just sprite hacks and level editors.

Anonymous

Pretty much, Am2r was basically just ZM but far more boring.

Anonymous

Because no one cares about the story, gameplay is why people play Metroid games.

Anonymous

whatever happened to Prime 2D anyway?
      did it got cancelled?

Anonymous

DMCA’d a couple weeks after they put out a demo

Anonymous

wow gay, demo was cool
          I would have re-skinned the character and called it NOT-METROID or something, and actually sell it. I hope the devs could work something out in those lines

Anonymous

If they reskinned it, then instantly no one will care about it anymore, and it’ll be thrown into the pile of the other ten thousand indie games that didn’t get the recognition they deserved.

The only reason anyone cares, is because it features Samus and the Metroid universe.

Anonymous

Why the hell is ever big fan game DMCA’d now? Is it because they basically hold press releases instead of just talking about it on a forum and spreading hype through word-of-mouth?

Anonymous

>Is it because they basically hold press releases instead of just talking about it on a forum and spreading hype through word-of-mouth?
        Pretty much. Once they become too popular they have to act on it and expect more DMCA’s to come since a bunch of fangame makers had the brilliant idea of making a fan game direct

Anonymous

>fan game direct
          That’s genuinely the cringiest shit I think I’ve heard all year.

Anonymous

That’s just what fans do

Anonymous

You want to know the best part? They released it TWO DAYS AFTER THE REAL DIRECT

Anonymous

Yeah, Pokemon Prism got shut down after they released a fancy ass trailer on Youtube with like a million views in a day. Stuff like that and idiots at Kotaku making articles are usually what gets these projects canned.

Anonymous

nintendo is a retarded company, remember when they went on a war against youtubers disney style and killing free advertisement?

Anonymous

I wish they did. Youtubers are the fucking worst.

Anonymous

Too bad it didn’t work. I’d love to have seen some Poketubers lose their livelihoods.

Anonymous

Yes, because now everyone thinks that Metroid isn’t worth full price. Thanks to some dude releasing a Metroid game for free. It devalued the IP in people’s eyes. It would have been way worse if AM2R wasn’t suppressed. And it could have been way better for Nintendo if they managed to stop him before release.

Anonymous

It’s a fucking side-scroller game in 2021, that shit is indie/arcade tier. Full 3d platforming/fps/open world is the meta.

Anonymous

Tell that to Metroid fans. If any non-Prime Metroid game WASN’T a sidescroller, they’d sent death threats to Nintendo for "not respecting the hardcore audience".

Anonymous

What "devalued" metroidvanias is the fact that most of them are 20-30 bucks and three times as long as Dread nowadays.
        Aside from some nerds that lurk video game forums nobody even knows about AM2R let alone played it.
        If anything AM2R was a free advertisement for zoomers who didn’t play 2D Metroid 20 years ago.

Anonymous

>and three times slower than Dread nowadays.
          Ftfy
          The longest metroidvanias are Hollow Knight and Ender Lillies but they’re also the slowest in the genre with fair amount of grinding and backtracking which other games don’t really have.

Anonymous

That’s part of it. But only part.

>Aside from some nerds that lurk video game forums nobody even knows about AM2R let alone played it.
          But a lot of people like knowing about popular indie games, even if they don’t play them. And their takeway will be "one man released a Metroid game for free". That for free part will really stick in their mind. And so when Samus Returns came out they think, I’ll just emulate this. And now that Dread has come out, you have mainstream media promoting emulating it.

Keep in mind that Samus Returns was only 40 bucks. Same as a similar game: Bloodstained. Somehow Bloodstained sold over a million copies. While Samus Returns sold only over half a million. https://www.thegamer.com/metroid-dread-sales-series-records-history-switch/

How does that happen? How does a game featuring Samus, a character featured in Super Smash Bros sell less than the indie rip off of Castlevania? And Bloodstained suffered bad press due to its initially bad graphics before it was upgraded.

Anonymous

>how does a 3ds game coming out at the ass end of the 3ds hen the switch was out sell jack nothing
            Gee anon, idfk. How could it happen.
            Maybe MS and AlphaDream shouldn’t have been stalling stubborn idiots?

Anonymous

>It devalued the IP in people’s eyes.
        Holy cope.

Nintendo twiddling their thumbs with Metroid and Konami twiddling their thumbs with Igavania Castlevanias while the indie scene flooded the market with a dime and dozen Metroid/Castlevania clones is what permanently devalued the IP sine it was the final nail in the coffin of selling those games at full price on a console.

Could have been prevented if Nintendo just kept consistently making 2D Metroids and Konami kept consistently making Igavanias, but nope. They have no one else but themselves to blame.

Dread is selling great now, but man it would explode if it’s price was lowered a bit

Anonymous

>nintendo takes metroid into 3D
      >cancels it
      >some american studio makes a FPS game
      >nintendo slaps metroid on it
      >metroid prime is born
      >japan attempts metroid again
      >other M happens
      >metroid is abandoned for all time like f-zero
      >fan game shows up
      >nintendo just happened to be remaking the same fucking game lol
      >C&D the fuck out of him
      >take out rom-shitters.com or something while they’re at it to make a point
      >metroid sales shoot up far beyond their expectations
      >make some shit in the same engine and slap on the "dread" subtitle for fanfare
      >40 year old men lose their fucking minds over it
      >make a kotaku article about it
      >pretend to be mad and take it down
      >now everyone is talking about it
      nintendo is not the same company you grew up with

Anonymous

Very appropriate image anon because what you said was fucking retarded.

Anonymous

>muh best friend Nintendo
        Nintendo was ALWAYS a sinister. You just don’t care because you didn’t have a developed Bullshit Detector as a kid.

>Nintendo would literally boycott stores that cared the SEGA Genesis when it first came out
        >Nintendo is the reason why renting games in Japan is illegal and why American rental stores never had box art or manuals
        >Had a stranglhold on who or what published on their consoles and would punish you for making games for the competition
        >The base engine for SM64 was stolen from Argonauts; Miyamoto even laughed in the lead dev’s face the year after it came out, saying "thanks for the code".
        >Square will still never release a mainline Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console when it first comes out because of their bullshit around the N64
        >There’s a REASON all of Nintendo’s big third party partners left for the Playstation in 94.
        >Iwata was made president by Yamauchi out of spite for his son-in-law never gaining market dominance in the US.

Anonymous

I honestly don’t understand why anti-tendies see Nintendo as a friend rather than a company that just makes good games.

Anonymous

Fucking hell anon, next to none of this is true.
          Seeing Nintendo as a friend is bad but seeing them as a complete and utter devil to the point where you’ll make up bullshit like this.
          >>The base engine for SM64 was stolen from Argonauts; Miyamoto even laughed in the lead dev’s face the year after it came out, saying "thanks for the code".
          Is even worse.

Anonymous

Nintendo limiting releases on the Famicom/NES and Sony sweet-talking Namco, Capcom, and Square away from Nintendo due to them losing the favored position they had back in the 80s are true, at least. Nintendo isn’t the squeaky-clean company people like to think they are.

The Argonauts thing is specifically a dumb rumour Brits spread around because they’ve always hated Nintendo. IIRC, they claim that the beta for fucking CROC was stolen because it was suppose to be a Yoshi game.

Anonymous

>Nintendo isn’t the squeaky-clean company people like to think they are.
              That’s why I’m saying both are equally as bad. Separate the company from the game and you’ll be much better off for it.
              that said limiting releases was a necessary evil

Anonymous

>dat spoiler
                True, but A.) People don’t want to hear that and B.) Nintendo was never consistent with it.

Anonymous

>Nintendo was never consistent with it.
                  Eh, giving leeway to things that sell gang busters is pretty consistent to me. After all the reason they did it in the first place was to avoid shovelware that would eventually end up in a landfill like all of the third party games that caused the crash.

Anonymous

>>The base engine for SM64 was stolen from Argonauts;
          Sm64 was in development long before Argonaut was making their Yoshi game.

Anonymous

Hire him for what? They already have more than enough devs.

Anonymous

NINTENDO, ARREST THIS MAN!
      ARREST HIM!

Anonymous

I decided to try out samus returns after dread and holy fuck this game is complete shit. I can’t believe these devs went from making the worst metroid to one of the best metroids.

Anonymous

>worst metroid

Anonymous

Yeah samus returns fucking sucks ass.

Anonymous

To call it the worst metroid is hyperbolic though.
            Unless you are honestly going to tell me with a straight face that Other M is better

Anonymous

Other m doesn’t exist.

Anonymous

Yeah sure just like how there isn’t a Tsukihime anime

Anonymous

Exactly.

Anonymous

Nintendo did good, AM2R was a fucking broken, unplayable fucking mess that was an embarrassment to the original game. I don’t support DMCA takedowns usually but I was 100% behind this one. Fuck AM2R.

Anonymous

I don’t get why these aspies are smart enough to make an entire game that almost looks official, but instead of making it "inspired by [famous IP]" they just use trademarked names and risk having years of their work erased. With AM2R in particular this solution would’ve been very easy, since the game was made from scratch, it’s not a ROM hack. Change the layout of the rooms a little bit and the design of the characters and voila, an instant success indie metroidvania heavily inspired by Metroid II

Anonymous

What form of mental retardation does it take to suck the dick of billion dollar corporations?

If it was up to these people they would literally get all art banned that isnt made under a corporate license that the (unqualified) 0.1% got access to through garden gnome connections. I’m starting to think that literature and MAYBE music are the only artforms in the whole world since everything else is purely dominated by corporations and their resources

Anonymous

Vidya also has an indie scene with games made by small teams, some of them are trash and unoriginal, some of them are beyond what AAA studios achieve.
        The corporation cocksucking mentality on Ganker somehow memed the attitude that indie = bad into existence though.

Anonymous

I guess you arent wrong, the reason why I dont equate indie games with music bands is probably just because its much harder to end up in a team like that versus a band

Anonymous

That’s true. I guess it’s due to the different nature of developing games and making music, the latter seemingly being a lot more of a natural process requiring less organization biased opinion because I play instruments but can’t code.
            Being in a band that makes their own stuff and has a nameable audience is very hard and dependend on luck too though.

Anonymous

Why the fuck don’t they give you more save points?
      Yaaaay I beat 3 metroids and ended up accidentally running into a boss with no health and have to do all of it again. Poorly designed piece of shit.

Anonymous

>Now capitalism has lead us to empty store shelves
        Thats why every metroid game since super marks boss rooms with an eye monster door

Anonymous

go to bed ACfag.

Anonymous

t. druckmann

Don’t you have a pro golf tournament to shoehorn into your lesbian zombie game?

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.