do any other europoors remember Hugo?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard do any other europoors remember Hugo?

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

do any other europoors remember Hugo?

Anonymous

yeah. I remember the janky crash clone especially

Anonymous

Crash is a hugo clone

Anonymous

maybe so, but quest for the sunstones was more of a blatant copy of the crash games to try to revitalize the Hugo games a bit.
          it used to have It’s own identity with the mini-game+auto runner formula, but around the millennial shift the Hugo games just started throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks.

I’m a big fan of the Hugo series, being scandinavian myself, but they lost me when they moved to 3D

Anonymous

That implies the Crash devs knew who this literal who even was. Hugo is one of Gankers worst running ‘jokes’

Anonymous

Hugo is really popular in certain regions ofo europe. Yeah maybe not in bongistan, but it wouldn’t be weird at all that a bong dev knew about Hugo, especially because of the "play through phone" novelty.
            Also, what joke? Hugo is a perfectly fine corridor platformer

Anonymous

you mean corriformer

Anonymous

I remember watching tv show in 1996. Other kids were calling into the studio and playing different Hugo games by using their dial phones.

They’ve played like shit though, most of them never reached the goal. I guess it’s because there was one hell of a ping.

Years later, I’ve played these games myself on XP. Without sound but it still felt great because I always wanted to try it myself.
      Never played anything past originals, but I guess it was kind of discount Crash and Mario Kart.

Anonymous

I remember this, which country anon? Do you know the name of the show/channel?

Anonymous

Not the same anon but I can answer you. He is talking about Hugo Délire, a French TV show, I bet only few kids managed to win in live and if they did I remember they had to choose among many keys, only one could work so it was probably pure RNG and almost impossible to win. Also there was probably a ton of delay. The game was rigged

Anonymous

I remember that too, i’m guessing you are german? Or maybe that was a thing in other countries as well

Anonymous

I remember that you couldn’t play with a rotary dial phone, you had to have a push-button (touch-tone) phone

people still tried

Anonymous

>I remember watching tv show in 1996. Other kids were calling into the studio and playing different Hugo games by using their dial phones.
        >
        >They’ve played like shit though, most of them never reached the goal. I guess it’s because there was one hell of a ping.

same, i´m from south america though

Anonymous

The prizes were pretty good, though. The best score of the week would get a cool bicycle. The best score of the month would get a high end PC, Pentium class, complete with all accessories. At that time, computers were only for the ultra rich, let alone a high end machine like that.

Anonymous

>that time, computers were only for the ultra rich

bullshit, im from south america and my family had two computers

Anonymous

So you were ultra rich, parasite

Anonymous

nope, middle class at that time, we even had internet

Anonymous

You were rich, just accept it. You just have an extremely sheltered view of reality (very common in your region)

Anonymous

>I remember watching tv show in 1996. Other kids were calling into the studio and playing different Hugo games by using their dial phones.
        >
        >They’ve played like shit though, most of them never reached the goal. I guess it’s because there was one hell of a ping.

same, i´m from south america though

dumbass you could see the guys in the TV show taking the order from the callers would react slow on purpose and even make people lose on purpose. obviously so that they dont have to give away so much money

Anonymous

comfy times

Anonymous

>slow on purpose

imagine having to play a game but you have to give the inputs to someone else by phone

I don’t think it was slow on purpose. First you have the delay for the live TV to get to the player. Then your input lag is literally another human, by phone.

Think about that next time you complain about 5ms input lag in emulators

Anonymous

when you could here the guy on phone say "right" somtimes the mods would take forever to do it. had nothing to do with input lag. they did it on purpose

Anonymous

Wrong, they had a specialized computer that translated the caller’s inputs to actual game inputs.

Anonymous

So they coerced machinery into tricking kids for their nefarious purposes, gotcha.

Anonymous

i had two of the gameboy games. one was probably this one but on gbc because i remember that screen and i havent seen hugo on TV, was way too late for that. the other game was actually one of the best gameboy games imo, but i later learned it was just a bugs bunny crazy castle "port" or something. i guess they didnt have the license for bugs bunny anymore so they put a different character in or something idk

Anonymous

me and my sis called once and got through the line but than panicked because we still had the phone with the dial ring ;_;

Anonymous

lol
          i wonder if they even supported pulse signals, albeit with obvious lag
          depends on technical realization but they probably didn’t

Anonymous

If the bad girl is better looking than the princess you’re trying to save, can you save the princess and just go with the bad girl like what happened in Tail Concerto?

tbqh I would do this with the villainess in question here, m8.

Anonymous

He’s back with his new friend Cristiano Ronaldo!

Anonymous

Yup, we had the first CD with the original games like skateboard and the one where you jump on the pillars. I played it often and loved it.
      I also really liked the TV show.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

What the fuck? Hugo sounds like Chris Chan in English.
        How unsettling.

Anonymous

Hugo’s legacy lives on in those shitty endless runner games

Anonymous

yes. i always wanted to play the games from the TV show but cant find a good download. someone has a download link?

Anonymous

I vaguely remember a tv show where the hostess was pretending to talk to him
      I wish I could remember better, it was on french television.

Anonymous

We had Hugo in Brazil too. No idea how popular it was though, i only remember it briefly existed.

Anonymous

Yes. I remember laughing my ass of because of that retard that persistently kept calling in with an old rotary dial / pulse dial phone.

Anonymous

fuck you

Anonymous

had hugo broadcast to brain won once

Anonymous

Hugo is an ugly, disgusting, and offputting character

Anonymous

Hard filtered.

Anonymous

Wrong Hugo, my friend.

Anonymous

I have a good amount of nostalgia for Black Diamond Fever. tried playing it recently but I don’t remember finishing it, might play again soon.

Anonymous

im from ireland and i remember on the irish speaking tv channel he was some sort of mascot, kids would call into TG4 and play this game, i’d describe it as temple run but the kids had to tell hugo when to move left or right and jump, the whole thing was in irish so i havent a clue what was going on

Anonymous

I remember watching tv show in 1996. Other kids were calling into the studio and playing different Hugo games by using their dial phones.

They’ve played like shit though, most of them never reached the goal. I guess it’s because there was one hell of a ping.

Years later, I’ve played these games myself on XP. Without sound but it still felt great because I always wanted to try it myself.
        Never played anything past originals, but I guess it was kind of discount Crash and Mario Kart.

fuck, i need to start reading threads before posting, didnt know they had this in so many countries

Anonymous

I am Latino and i remember him since the early 90s from Telemundo when he was renamed Tino.

Even remember the phrase "Tiiiiiino es la estrella".

And then of course the Argentinian era from magic kids with his original name, before he got replaced with that abomination called Kito Pizzas.

Anonymous

Makes me wonder why they nevet made a metroidvania with the same sprite quality as the original amiga games.

Anonymous

apreta 5 y,,,, A JUGAR CON HUGO!

Anonymous

Yes, he was quite a naughty boy.

Anonymous

>tfw you will never get to have ooga booga with slaves in hugolandia
        Why live?

Anonymous
      Anonymous

oh so that’s who this little fuck is
      https://youtu.be/CESQO2IZWAk

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.