Do you even finish the games you emulate?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Do you even finish the games you emulate?

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you even finish the games you emulate?

Anonymous

No

Anonymous

I only finish games if they’re good

Anonymous

this. most retro games are like of only a handful of genres, genres that have been iterated on countless times. some genres like stealth or 3d platformers straight up do not get to the double digits until the 6th gen.

Anonymous

Yes? Why would emulating stop me from finishing?

Anonymous

Emulation easily allows you to have an abundance of games and a lot of people end up not finishing anything at all when that happens. Some people just emulate games to see how they look but never actually play through them.

Anonymous

That gives me pause when deciding what to start playing, but never stops me from finishing.

Anonymous

With emulators, I end up beating more games than ever. I do experiment with a few games, but usually just the ones I didn’t intend on really playing in the first place.

Anonymous

I did as a kid, I beat so many games on emulators. As an adult every game is boring as shit and I can’t pay attention and delve into any for more than a couple hours max. As an adult I enjoy more messing with the settings and looking into the development of emulators/games than playing games themselves.

Anonymous

This guy gets it

Anonymous

I finished Brave Fencer Musashi, yes. On Retroarch, no.

Anonymous

Just today I got to act 7 in Ninja Gaiden 3. Shit starts getting hard at act 5, jesus christ

Anonymous

Had a hard time before but recently.

Sonic 1 and 2
      Castlevania 1 – 4

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

Played that a few months ago. Did you rike it?

Anonymous

sorry for the late response but yeah I did, I’m gonna get around to replaying 2-4 soon

Anonymous

no, I always lose the motivation to keep playing emulated games, I’d rather just play them on original hardware
      even a game like earthbound which is almost impossible to play the proper way because I live in yurop

Anonymous

What do you think makes the difference for you? Is it paying for the physical copy?

Anonymous

I normally don’t finish games I emulate because I don’t understand how file saves work in computers. With a console I know the game and saves are all kinda together and If I take the console and game with me then I have my progress saved. But when I use an emulator it’s never clear to me if it’s actually saving anything, how that works, and how I can back it up if possible at all.

Anonymous

Yes, the only thing I’ve given up on finishing out of 15 or so emulated games this year is Road Rash 3, and that’s because all the Level 5 tracks take forever and it’s like punching yourself in the dick.

Anonymous

I beat every game that I start unless I get hard filtered like with Pathologic 2 and Kenshi.

Anonymous

Yeah cuz I only emulate games I wanna play.

Anonymous

No.
      Sometimes a game sucks and I stop playing it.
      Or I get busy with something else and lose interest.
      Next question?

Anonymous

There isn’t a huge list of games worth beating on older consoles, but that’s also true for this current generation.

It’s better to just have fun for as long as you can with something before you get sick of it. As long as you are having fun then your gaming experience is worthwhile.

Anonymous

>There isn’t a huge list of games worth beating on older consoles,
        There are like minimum 100 games per console worth beating.

Anonymous

>minimum 100
          that’s a pretty fucking liberal estimate
          per console generation maybe

Anonymous

Name 100 games worth playing for the Virtual Boy.

Anonymous

I only emulate after years of wanting to play the game, otherwise I wouldn’t care enough to finish it

Anonymous

Yes I do.

Anonymous

I just replayed ActRaiser and Secret Of Evermore the other night and finished them. No idea what to play next.

Anonymous

bump

Anonymous

Yes, last games i emulated were the Megaten remakes and Banjo Kazooie, i’m playing the Mega Man X PSP remake and Pokemon Black 2

Anonymous

regardless of wether i emulate, pirate or buy the damn game, i usuaoly get stuck and have to watch a longplay of the rest
      i really, REALLY suck at videogames

Anonymous

I just finished Metroid Zero Mission as a matter of fact. I don’t hate the zero suit shit they added at the end, but by the time you get the power bombs, you’re just a couple rooms away from the end, and you’re left pretty far away from the rest of the map. It really kills any desire to shoot for 100% completion.
      I think the game would be a lot better off if they found a way to work in the zero suit section earlier, and make it so that killing Mother Brain is the absolute final thing you do. The fact that you don’t see credits after the escape sequence from killing what was the original final boss made me feel that it overstayed its welcome a bit, despite being such a short game already.

Anonymous

A good bunch of them. If I don’t finish a game, it’s because either A) it’s a very long game and I take breaks that last long enough for me to forget, or B) it’s a game I’m not really feeling. Examples would be Donkey Kong Country 2 and Psycho Dream, respectively. Psycho Dream is a fucking weird game. The first level’s music bothers me so much.

Anonymous

> if you don’t waste money paying 3x what people paid on launch for an outdated aged game you can’t enjoy it

> having too much choice is bad, it’s not jealousy and im not upset people get to play the games I couldn’t for free in 5 mins and also i hate savestates because i think I am an elite gamer and can’t understand how games are supposed to be fun

> buy my old games and consoles i am selling them for 4x the price used teehee

Anonymous

The last game I remember finishing on an emulator is Final Fantasy XII about ten years ago.

Anonymous

I’ve finished hundreds of games on emulators.

Anonymous

A game has to be either absurdly difficult or just too archaic for me to stop me from at least finishing it. In some cases I might need some other games on the side as a sort of palate cleanser. Ex. if I’m playing some long jrpg, random encounters up the ass, I’ll also play some arcade games like beat-em-ups since they’re easier to pick and play without having to bother about story or quests or anything.
      After finishing the first SMT I needed like two or three months before I dared to jump into the sequel.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

Yes. I have a dedicated retroarch/groovymame machine hooked up to a CRT TV via component video. It’s literally better than hardware. (i left my neogeo MVS cabinet at my parents when i moved out coz it’s not worth bothering with)

Anonymous

Beat metroid prime trilogy a few weeks ago and im close to finishing srw ogs. Beat the final stage of 2 and god damn, that was some of the most tense gaming experience i had in a while. Shame that the rest of ogs arent translated or on pc.
      Thinking of playing some vanillaware next

Anonymous

Is there a list of what core is best for each system? There are like 5 different bsnes cores.

Anonymous

snes9x for SNES emulation is the best choice i think.

Anonymous

snes9x for SNES emulation is the best choice i think.

also some resources for you regarding cores
        http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Libretro
        https://docs.libretro.com/guides/install-windows/ (use the sidebar on the left to see cores list and the documents page for each one)

Anonymous

Thanks anon, I wish RetroArch had some tooltips in the program but this is just as good.

Anonymous

For me it’s
        >NES – Mesen
        >SNES – bsnes (the one that just says bsnes)
        >N64 – Parallel
        >Gamecube – Dolphin
        >Game Boy/Colour – SameBoy
        >Game Boy Advance – mGBA
        >DS – melonDS
        >3DS – Citra

>PS1 – Beetle PSX HW or Duckstation
        >PS2 – PCSX2
        >PSP – PPSSPP

>Mega Drive/Game Gear/Master System – Genesis Plus GX
        >Saturn – Kronos
        >Dreamcast – Flycast

Anonymous

I just beat that faggot draygon in super Metroid and now ready to get lost for another 9 fucking hours. After this I’ll be playing through either Zelda 1 and 2 or Castlevania 4

Anonymous

How to stop NES sprites from flicking so much contra looks like dog shit for me

Anonymous

I’ve never used it but I think some nes emulators have an option to help with that. Don’t know how well it works since the flickering was just how the nes could try to render more than 8 sprites per horizontal line.

Anonymous

Yes. I did a no-hit run of the original Castlevania thanks to save states and rewind features, too!

Anonymous

Currently halfway in Suikoden 2 and close to finishing Circle of the Moon.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.