Do you need to beat a game on a mode above easy before you can review it?

Home Forums Video game journalism Do you need to beat a game on a mode above easy before you can review it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do you need to beat a game on a mode above easy before you can review it?

Anonymous

Yes. Beating a game on easy and trying to give an opinion is like reviewing a movie/book when you’ve only read the summary on Wikipedia.

Anonymous

fpbp

Anonymous

Every review should have a mandatory first section that explains how they played the game. Imagine playing Dead Space on easy and using the cheat codes for extra resources, then complaining in a review that the game is braindead easy. That’s the kind of bullshit that reviewers pull

Anonymous

I miss decent gaming mags. One I read the most had reviewers that focused on specific genres. Each review had a main reviewer and another giving a short second opinion. If the game was popular the main reviewer would have to also write a FAQ for the game.

Anonymous

PSM?

Anonymous

PSX Extreme, they also were cool for reviewing niche games and imports. Lots of solid 7/10 you would never heard of due to bigger releases hogging all the spotlight and adverts. Also they weren’t afraid to say what they wanted I remember fanboys going ape shit when MGS2 and Gran Turismo 2 got ‘only’ 8/10.

Anonymous

I liked egm that had maybe a newcomer to a series and a veteran of it so you can get a review that fit you

Anonymous

Beating the game on normal should be mandatory. Modern games are easy enough they last around 15h it’s not that much work. Vidya are easily accessible to almost everyone, easy to learn and nowadays there are lots of information on the internet how to improve. It’s not gently caressing sports were your physical characteristics can block you out completely and you need months or years of hard training to get decent at it.

Anonymous

Depends on the game dev’s intent.
      If the devs specifically made it for a harder difficulty in mind and simply added an easy mode for inclusion but not necessarily the intended vision then yes the critic should play on the harder difficulty.

If the dev’s themselves don’t care about the difficulty itself and they believe an easier difficulty doesn’t effect their vision then it is fair to critic the game with the easier difficulty.

Anonymous

Considering Easy Mode often gimps specific features in the game, or allows for a gameplay not intended by the developers during design (such as Infinite Ammo in an RE title), YES.

Anonymous

Yeah on normal first, then at least try out all the other difficulty modes to see what changes.

Anonymous

I’ve only played Astral Chain on platinum standard or whatever difficulty it prompts you about after every case, what’s different between easy and that mode?

Anonymous

The easier modes have weaker enemies, don’t give rankings and you have unlimited legion gauge/time

Anonymous

The unlimited legion stuff is a separate toggle in the menus, not difficulty related.

Anonymous

easy mode removes the ranking they were complaining about not being there

Anonymous

Depends on the game. If you play a combat heavy game like Astral Chain or DMC on easy and review it, you did not get a proper measure of the game’s combat design and balance and cannot provide a review.

Anonymous

You need to complete the main game on Normal or above. That’s really all I ask. I’m not asking you to get all the invisible items or S Rank the Ex Dungeons or whatever but if you cant be gently caressed to finish I cant be gently caressed to listen.

Anonymous

Does Ganker just hate all vidya journalist, surely there must be at least one that they like?

Anonymous

Tim Rogers is far too clever to be stuck writing for Kotaku.

Anonymous

why does tim rogers come here to post about himself
          you are the worst gently caressing writer in kotaku’s history. you are physically incapable of not writing about yourself and being a gently caressing vegan

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>does Ganker just hate all vidya journalist
        what do you think anon

Anonymous

Depends on dev intent. What exactly does the difficulty level do?

Sniper Elite had custom difficulty. You could add or remove wind, bullet drop, slow-mo markers, etc. It would make the experience something completely different from one player to the next. One would have a shooting sim and another an action game with testicle shattering.

Does the difficulty do what ninja gaiden black did, and add entirely new trash mobs that can kick your ass with different movesets, while altering boss patterns and viable openings against them? Or does it do braindead shit damage sponging trash mobs that suddenly deal 3x damage without any change in spawns or accuracy?

If lower difficulty just does gimmes with mechanics like free resources or something, then yeah, they need to play on normal or above. If the difference is only in HP/damage the gently caresss given are pretty close to zero. If it’s something that gives a genuine and non-artificial challenge, I’d say yes, because that higher difficulty experience is something different and may warrant a different review from a perspective of someone that can beat it without turning into a "git gud" faggot defending instakill gimmicks.

Anonymous

Games shouldn’t even give you a proper ending on easy and a bad ending at normal.

Anonymous

based zun

Anonymous

just watch it on youtube. I got better shit to do.

Anonymous

I would say whatever the middle option is. sometimes that’s "normal", sometimes that’s "super hard". I don’t really care what it is, it’s the middle of the road. A glimpse at what could be on either side.

Also, who really gives a shit? It’s all just their worthless opinions. Beyond facts like bugs existing, there is no such thing as an objective review.

Anonymous

Yes.

Anonymous

if you still read or watch shit by tranny game tabloids in 2020 then you need to off yourself quick smart.

Anonymous

At bare minimum, you should be able to beat the normal/medium/developer intended difficulty.

Anonymous

I don’t care if they review games they’ve only played on easy, as long as their review is stated to only cover that level of difficulty.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.