Do zoomers even know that there was a whole era where people would just make games free on the inter…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Do zoomers even know that there was a whole era where people would just make games free on the inter…

• This topic has 86 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Do zoomers even know that there was a whole era where people would just make games free on the internet as a past time? It feels like a dream.

Anonymous

Zoomer not know how this game is harder than dark souls series.

Anonymous

-AME. THE ONE THAT WILL TAKE ME TO MY END

Anonymous

Flash didn’t have a security issue. It was killed on purpose to bury this time so shitty devs could nickle and dime for trash.
      We live in a time where people believe they should be paid for PLAYING video games let alone making shitty games.

Anonymous

absolutely. if microsoft can still peddle minecraft java, then there is no reason for flash to die

Anonymous

Unfortunately, Flash was a gigantic sieve loaded with security flaws. It was made for a different time when computer security was a very different field and when devices were not constantly online.
        But, Flash isn’t actually dead! It always was just a plugin for your browser in the first place, and, there are several desktop runtime environments you can use instead.

absolutely. if microsoft can still peddle minecraft java, then there is no reason for flash to die

Java is one of the most used programming languages on the planet and receives multiple security updates a year to its runtime environment. Flash hadn’t had anyone seriously work on it in over a decade at the time of its death. Thanks Adobe.

Anonymous

Names of those desktop environments?

Anonymous

Adobe still offers local environments which still work. Just google "Flash Desktop" and they’ll come up. Otherwise, there’s Lightspark as a standalone executable.
            I’ve also heard good things about Ruffle, but I haven’t used it myself. Homestar Runner uses it on their site, but they have a browser plugin as well.

Anonymous

>Do zoomers even know that there was a whole era where people would just make games free on the internet as a past time?
      phone games?

Anonymous

>phone games
        >not shovelware made with zero effort from free assets
        >not spamming 30 second ad every 1 minute of "gameplay"
        Which timeline are you from?

Anonymous

You still can. And you don’t need to use proprietary Adobe malware.

Anonymous

Fuck off, Steve Jobs.

Anonymous

400k results for free games.

https://itch.io/games/free

Anonymous

crazy how under a system that punishes it, people are still willing to do work for free 🙂

Anonymous

>a system that punishes it
          What do you mean?

Anonymous

>people are still willing to do work for free
          These people have fun making games, wish I could have much fun playing games rather than playing them.

Anonymous

>wish I could have much fun playing games rather than playing them.

Anonymous

Most garbage on itch is nowhere near the level of old flash games, and the site doesn’t provide good tools to filter out the trash.

Anonymous

What are you talking about you dumb melanoid? Old flash games were utterly saturated with pointless, worthless trash. That’s part of what made them great.

Anonymous

how do you not lose all will to make a game yourself when you see this many being free?

Anonymous

Most games aren’t good enough to be worth playing unless they’re in a niche.

Anonymous

most of those aren’t even games just freeware.

Anonymous

Most of these are demos, very small practice projects, asset flips, or straight up garbage, not much of a competition.

Anonymous

Zoomers dont even know what "bm" means in multiplayer games.

Anonymous

>a whole era where people would just make games free on the internet as a past time
      That’s your nostalgia speaking. We made games for dosh and whored our licenses to every portals under the sun before moving to html 5 and mobile because the tools were better, more profitable and abobe was gonna kill flash in a few years.
      t. ex flash dev

Anonymous

The only good post ITT, and it will be ignored because it goes against Ganker’s narrative

Anonymous

The only good post ITT, and it will be ignored because it goes against Ganker’s narrative

>licences
        Lmao fuck off larper. Liscensing didnt mean shit when NG was big, and it still doesnt.

Anonymous

>exclusive deals, sponsoring, branding and fgl were not a thing
          Sorry to shit on your memories lad but most great games you remember were sold, not made for free.

Anonymous

>l-licensing!
            >shut up retard
            >NO THEY WERE PAID
            move thhe goalpost again, faggot. Nobody cares.

Anonymous

Deny reality all you want that’s how it used to work, you can still find public info about the flash scene on tigsource if you want but you won’t bother and double down on your retardation.

Anonymous

Nobody fucking cares. It was free to me, so go ahead and reeeee.

Anonymous

>It was free to me
                  Not the ads you saw and all the data that was mined before web browser started cracking down hard on that. You didn’t pay with your wallet but still paid with your ass.

Anonymous

Stop replying, sperg. Data harvesting wasn’t even seen as profitable in NG’s early days. You’re ovciously a zoomer, a rat, and honesty probably black.

Anonymous

I accept your surrender.

Anonymous

I accept your seethe.

Anonymous

I remember several of those games even having a level of anti-piracy if you played it on sites that werent the intended site, Motherload comes to mind.

Anonymous

How do you guys feel about devs rereleasing their flash games on Digital Storefronts for money? Particularly when the games are on par with other indie games that release at the same price from the start. I don’t personally think there is anything wrong with it. Especially if more content is added to those releases. Their store pages are usually pretty up front about being Newgrounds rereleases as well. I assume most people who buy them are there to support the devs and the free versions usually still remain up. Can anyone give me some legitimate reasons why this practice is a bad thing? The only thing I can think of is people who don’t know what Newgrounds is so some people might feel ripped off for buying a free game but does that really fall on the devs to make sure every potential customer is informed on the status of sometimes decades old flash games?

Anonymous

I think that’s perfectly reasonable, I’d pretty much just think, "oh that’s the guy that made _____ back in the day? Cool." The people that would bitch are the ones that will squeal if you charge anything, and are partially to blame for enabling the f2p/microtransaction model to fuck us all

Anonymous

please pay my patreon

Anonymous

Steve Jobs successfully convinced an entire generation that Flash shouldnt exist.

Anonymous

>watched some edgy zombie animation as a kid
      >want to watch it again
      >all i know about it is that there is some scene whete he kills a bunch of zombies with a briefcase

Anonymous

Xombie was a thing, it’s kinda cringe low quality in the early episodes. But that was a Zombie guy who killed other Zombies with a shovel.

Anonymous

No, no it’s not that, it wasnt a game. It was just a flash animation. I remember there was a scene where he’s just sitting down looking at a tower. Every time i think about flash i think of that series but i can never remember it. This sucks, i hate being old and forgetful.

Anonymous

Xombie wasn’t a game either.
            It was a series.

Anonymous

Still not it, i watched to see if i was just retarded. I think the animations i’m thinking of are lost.

Anonymous

I FOUND IT!!!! DEAD RAIN!!!!!!

Anonymous

Good for u anon

🙂

Anonymous

that was a good time, i wish everyone who was good at it published a quality app now though, would be cool

Anonymous

How young do you think zoomers are?

Anonymous

The only thing that’s changed is the "free" part. Steam alone is filled to the brim with so much shovelware that would make newgrounds blush.

Anonymous

Newgrounds was great for new and aspiring artists and game makers. That’s why it’s name is newgrounds.

Anonymous

Yes, that’s part of the point I was trying to make. Amateurs jumping straight into the scene expecting people to be okay with them charging full price for their first, clearly amateurish, project.

Anonymous

Settle down, anon. I’m agreeing with you. I used to watch oneyNG animations and thought for sure he would have an incredible animation career, but now he does LPs and now zach is the one getting a show. Theyre both successfully, moreso than me, but this isnt how i thought things would play out.

Anonymous

Not even zoomers, people their own age, 15 to 18 yr olds were making amazong shit

On their own time

For free

I wish it panned out more for me…

Anonymous

>15 to 18 yr olds were making amazong shit
        Pseudolonewolf was around that age when he started making his games, as I recall, along with the music. Unfortunately, he suffered from a combination of growing up and getting brain cancer, and ended up going off the deep end. But what he did make back then is still wonderful.

Anonymous

Zone inb4

Anonymous

Gotta ask how old do you think Zoomers are exactly? Like you realize that anyone born after 1997 is considered a Zoomer right, there are people who are old enough to own a house who are zoomers.

Anonymous

The fucking GOAT

Anonymous

They have moved to phone games. Are there still people who deny that smartphones aren’t the root of this soulless era? They destroy everything and grow cancer where something beautiful once was.

Anonymous

Anon, zoomers grew up with Flash games. You know the oldest zoomers are 25, right?

Anonymous

>as a past time?
      lmao, it’s "a pass time"

Anonymous

>where people would just make [thing] free on the internet as a past time?
      I feel like this is a concept entirely lost on zoomers, everything is about the clout and hussle these days. The internet as a whole is just so much more shit these days because of this mentality. Literally everything is about attention and money. Very, very little content is honest, passionate and just done for the joy of it.

zoomers have no concept of any of this, they don’t even know what "selling out" means because in their world this is what you do, the internet is a platform to get rich off of, nothing else. I fucking hate what happened to it, genuinely. Everything feels so hopeless and garbage.

Anonymous

When you think about it, Ganker Anonymous posters are the antithesis of the zoomer mindset of clout and hussle. We talk to each other in temporary and honest conversations, which don’t matter to anyone except to the participants and anyone who lurks, and it’s all gone within a few hours. I think about forums I used to visit and the sad cunts who build up reputations with their avatar and username and 20,000+ posts and gatekeeping the community from anyone who doesn’t enjoy things in their particular way. I’m so much happier to be on Ganker chatting shit all day with other morons

Anonymous

They both are internet addicts spending an unhealthy amount of times trying to make any retarded claim so that they can get a dopamine rush once they receive a you/like from other people

Anonymous

>look up fight the power animation
        >it has donation links and a reminder to like and subscribe

Anonymous

I loved Sprite flash animations. It always felt like they let me get immersed in some alternative timeline where the stories and universes of my favorite series like Mario/Sonic/Megaman continued on in this weird theatrical 16-bit form. Especially since none of them received good proper sequels for years. Hard to explain but you get it. I guess this is sort of the same reason why I loved ROM hacks and fan games, very similar appeal. Sonic’s Quest for Power, Sonic the Swordsman, SMBZ, Randy Solem’s movies… Those were the times. Do you have a favorite series or cartoon from that era?

Anonymous

can you stop being a retard obsessed with zoomers/boomers for a second when you don’t even know that flash garbage was still around during their generation?
      i swear to god retards who use this term don’t know shit about actual human beings and just use the term to feel better about how lame new generations are for not liking the crap you used to enjoy
      t. boomer who always found flash games to be crap and would carry a usb device with emulators and quake instead.

Anonymous

>quake
        ew

Anonymous

>social media
          go back

Anonymous

Based boomer.
        Flash is as zoomcore as gaming goes. Why would you play that shit when you had so many free options made by actual professionals around?
        Flash games were only enjoyed by either retards or kids during the 2000s

Anonymous

You’re not wrong. People who can’t shut up about zoomers/boomers are in almost every situation people who lack an actual identity and need to cling to older media that’s already accepted as good.

Anonymous

Your taste is irrevocably shit, so much that it sits at the deepest point within a cesspit in the most depraved and unsanitary region in india.

Anonymous

when you people say zoomers, what the FUCK do you even refer to? 12 yr old kids or something?
        I keep seeing these dumbass threads about "le zoomers will NEVER know about this" and their posts are 95% of the time always accompanied with things that we did experience. Whether it be this, 6th gen vidya, or fucking Blockbuster.
        My first console was the Gamecube for fuck’s sake, and every other kid in the neighborhood had either that or a PS2.

I distinctively remember going into newgrounds and random sites with friends on my home computer looking for games or random shit to entertain ourselves. this guy has the right idea btw
        99% of this was thrash.

t. 01

Anonymous

>My first console was the Gamecube for fuck’s sake
          You fucking idiot, you cretin, you absolute buffoon. Stop posting immediately.

Being 10+ years behind is a good thing if you live in 2021.

Fair enough

Anonymous

I can’t help but think that when most people say zoomer they don’t really mean gen z, but rather generation alpha, which came AFTER gen z.

Anonymous

shockwave > flash

Anonymous

I miss the sites too not just the games, I loved how everyones site looked like an interactive scrapbook

Anonymous

Sites used to be made with desktops in mind.
        Now they’re made with phones in mind.

Anonymous

Most 3rd world zoomers like me grew up playing these games anon.

Anonymous

Third worlders arent people, im sorry anon. Im aware you creatures live 10+ years behind us, the same way we life 10+ years behind elites. This thread is meant for first worlders.

Anonymous

Being 10+ years behind is a good thing if you live in 2021.

Anonymous

They played all those games on their phones, just with shitty ads and microtransactions.

Anonymous

>penniless boomers actually spent their youth playing flash garbage because it was free
      basically the app store for millennials
      don’t bother replying, i already know you’re poor

Anonymous

>he didn’t pay devs to make tailored flash games
        Stop pretending to be rich anon we all know $70+tip is all you can afford.

Anonymous

I feel as though people have rose tinted glasses on and are forgetting all of the garbage that was being released on NG and various other sites, the asset stealing, and the attention whoring.
      I don’t think people changed as much as more tools existing now for those people to take advantage of. Sites like itch.io and Steam didn’t exist at that time, gaming is far more popular now, and creating games is far easier now than it was before.
      Don’t get me wrong I loved old school NG but all these anons claiming
      >It was all genuine back in the day people were doing it because they were passionate now it’s all low effort
      are out of their minds. NG had plenty of garbage content as did the dozens of other flash game sites.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.