Emulator thread. What are you emulating?

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic Emulator thread. What are you emulating?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 67 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Whatcha emulating?

Anonymous

I know you’re just trying to piss off emufags but I beat Sweet Home a while back.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>1995
        >steph curry
        >bald the rock
        wait a minute…..

Anonymous

>pcsx2 configuration drama thread

Anonymous

>NOOOOOO I CAN’T FIGURE OUT HOW TO BIOS, HELP MEEEEEEE

Anonymous

I’m done messing with that emulator on a case by case basis. Burn it down.

Anonymous

>>pcsx2 configuration drama thread

Set it up to use full software mode, and get no more visual bugs whatsoever? The only reason you need unique configs per game is because you are forcing the graphics pipeline to run on your videocard.

Anonymous

To clarify, I wasn’t complaining about it. These threads tend to get pretty heated, though.

Anonymous

The fact I can get random no name shitgames to run flawlessly with little gently caressing around but not Ace Combat will forever piss me off.

Anonymous

seiken densetsu 3

Anonymous

i’m at the end but want to get the best armor and weps and this whole planting seeds shit

Anonymous

yeah that’s usually where I give up
          gonna try to finish it this time
          Lise, Hawk, Carlie so nothing super amazingly difficult.

Anonymous

Gonna start DQ IV

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I’m finally playing Earthbound and I’m having a blast. On zsnes, of course

Anonymous

If you still aren’t using Retroarch at this point then what the hell is your excuse?

Anonymous

I still have some self respect

Anonymous

I use Retroarch to have input methods stay consistent across platforms, but Big Box is the frontend I use

Anonymous

How much space does artwork and screenshots take up? I’ve thought about installing art for my VITA but I’m trying to conserve space on my 125gb SD.

Anonymous

I’d love to mes about in RetroArch, but I simply don’t know where to start (again) since setting up takes ages, but I know it’ll be awesome once I get all the cores and UI set up.
          I had problems with navigating the menus consistently last time I tried.
          And nobody hosts a ready made RetroArch that could find so I could start somewhere.
          Yours and

If you still aren’t using Retroarch at this point then what the hell is your excuse?

look really nice.
          My dream would be to turn this PC into a console emulating machine some day.

>Indigo GBC
          Now that’s good taste.

Anonymous

I use Retroarch to have input methods stay consistent across platforms, but Big Box is the frontend I use

I still have some self respect

Can someone clue me in to the Retroarch drama? It’s been like a decade since I downloaded any new emulators for anything, and I have no idea what the big deal is about Retroarch in emulation circles I’ve returned to.

Anonymous

It has a lot of great features but you need an IQ higher than 5 to use it.

Anonymous

popular = bad, typical Ganker sentiment

Anonymous

"XMB has it’s downsides", that’s 90% of the arguments against it.

Anonymous

The UI is made for consoles and is shittastic for desktop use and curating your library.

Anonymous

pgxp is an amazing feature that eliminates texture warping on ps1 games

Anonymous

just played UC2. instantly reminded just how insanely difficult TR2 was. great game.

Anonymous

if you think of the kind of faggots who spend their life organizing chris chan raids, that’s the kind of people who lurk emugen 24 hours a day and cry about retroarch

Anonymous

There’s no drama, the GUI/library management is a pain and it filters retards out who don’t want to spend 2 minutes to read the doc. It literally is the best option for people with large multi-console/no intro libraries.

Anonymous

Once Retroarch hits Steam, there will literally be no excuse.
        Me included. I’m too gently caressing dumb to understand how it works, how to make it work, and people would rather spend their time laughing at me than actually showing me how to use it.

Anonymous

what the gently caress anon, just watch a gently caressing youtube video

Anonymous

im very torn between wanting to be helpful and wanting to hate you because it’s technologically retarded people like you flooding the internet and videogame market and making it worse every year, because now the retard masses get pandered to

Anonymous

Is it considered technologically intelligent if you’re capable of using google to solve any tech problem you ever encounter? This is what I always do.

Anonymous

it at least means you know how to help yourself and don’t act like the world has to dumb itself down for your sake. which means you’re alright

Anonymous

Just buy some preinstalled arcade cabinet anon. spend a few 1000 bucks and you wont have to deal with the hassle!

Anonymous

annoyingly the only problem I have with retroarch is it doesn’t seem to work with my ps4 controller, I just set up a joytokey thing for snes and it’s fine but no idea how to sort it out

Anonymous

Use DS4windows.

Anonymous

I have that on my pc, playing on my laptop, and it’s honestly more of a hassle than just using joytokey.

Anonymous

when i emulate games it is on a whim and it is easier to just download emulators that i know and have used before than to become familiar with retroarch

Anonymous

I’d rather just click on a rom/iso to open it using the file manager that already came with my OS instead of running a shitty slow to navigate console UI that needs to index everything before it can do anything useful, and I’d rather use a mouse and keyboard to configure things through normal desktop widgets than slowly navigate through a bunch of long nested menus designed for limited input devices like gamepads.

Anonymous

Ungodly bloatware. It’s like 500MB before you even start downloading cores to play games.
        Meanwhile, mednafen is less than 10MB and plays all systems that matter.

Anonymous

This but unironically.
          Can even play Saturn on it. Shit rools.

Anonymous

I always found it better to just use individual emulators
        Can’t imagine RetroArch emulating a console better than an emulator whose sole purpose is emulating that specific console

Anonymous

Vast majority of emulators are open source. The actual part that gets the game running is the same in retroarch as in, say bsnes or mednafen.

Anonymous

Retroarch is not an emulator

Anonymous

what is it then?

Anonymous
      Anonymous
        Anonymous

Horrible gently caressing filter.

Anonymous

>filter
          >no slowdown
          No soul

The "filter" (it’s actually a shader) is probably fine the native resolution he’s playing it at. CRT shaders look great at their native resolutions/bitrates but rarely compress well.

Anonymous

>filter
        >no slowdown
        No soul

Anonymous

Borderline heretic desu

Anonymous

Skyroads (DOS)

Anonymous

Translation gently caressing WHEN? I’m enjoying the game, but not understanding Japanese makes it kinda hampering that enjoyment.

Anonymous

>this year
        >continuing your existence as EOP

Anonymous
      Anonymous

zsnes master race, been using it for over 15 years.

Anonymous

any expert at emulation such as myself knows that BSNES or at least snes9x at the bare minimum is the way to go

Anonymous

Currently emulating Tales of Destiny for psx on my switch. Got a little bummed out when I found out the original japanese version has skits which never got translated.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I like how triggered nu-pirates get at the mere mention of ZSnes. That UI was top comfy and it ran on a potato, I don’t give a gently caress if some random game game only released in India has sounds issues with it.

Anonymous

I can’t figure out how to give it full screen AND keep it’s aspect ratio. It keeps looking gently caressed when I pick the fullscreen resolutions. Even when marked with ‘keep aspect ratio’.
        What do?

Anonymous

>I don’t give a gently caress if some random game game only released in India has sounds issues with it.
        That’s not why people started having issues with it, retard. It’s because there was an issue with how it loaded roms that let people run code outside the scope of the emulator. This could include forcing you towards websites, downloading malware, and all sorts of malicious acts. There’s also no telling what other issues exist in ZSNES thanks to it being ancient and rarely touched anymore.

Anonymous

I just got Sega CD working in Retroarch, what a gently caressing pain. Going to sleep and starting Snatcher when I wake up.

Anonymous

Tryinv to get a HeartGold nuzlocke run going, but the pokemon encounters early on gently caressing suck.

Anonymous

fire emblem shadow dragon

Anonymous

.hack//Versus

It’s an interesting little fighting game for what was originally a pack-in game for a CG movie. I just wish the series got more love. Been watching SIGN and really enjoying it.

Anonymous

Also Virtua Fighter 5.

Anonymous

Oh god, you can actually see the motion blur. Here’s a different shot.

Anonymous

That was a series of RPGs I rented back in the day, they were really strange because they were pretending to be MMOs when MMOs were already a thing and I had FFXI account on my PS2 already. It was very strange getting the real MMO experience from FFXI and then renting .Hack where it was still pretending MMOs were a thing of the future.

Anonymous

True, but the MMO elements are pretty much secondary to the story. "The World" being an MMO is a framing device.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>PC Engine Popful Mail is better than the Sega CD version
      >bitch to emulate because the emu needs to support the arcade card which was a hardware peripheral and few emus do
      >still locks up at a certain cutscene in any emu I can manage to run it in, even ones that are said to supposedly run the game right

I swear nothing out there can play this game properly.

Anonymous

Have you considered the possibility that you might have a bad dump of the game?

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Goemon.
      No thanks tomthat pedophile Kurt Kalata.

Anonymous

I finally got Open PS2 Loader to work again, and tested out Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and San Andreas. Both have worked near perfectly, so it looks like I can now play pretty much any PS2 game on original hardware within a few hours. The LCD is kind of shitty but I’m hoping to get a CRT this week to replace it.

Is there any less popular game you guys would recommend? I’ve already played the same ‘top 50 games’ everyone usually suggests.

Anonymous

Valkyrie Profile 2 because emufags can’t play it.

Anonymous

?

Anonymous

It’s been fine on PCSX2 since 2013, it’s just that it requires its own DLL file that few know about since the PCSX2 team is incompetent and hasn’t bothered improving compatibility in games.

Anonymous

>the PCSX2 team is incompetent
            I knew that ever since I had an AIM convo with the ZeroGS dev in 2007 or so. Kept telling him about bugs and how it’s missing basic features like triple buffering to fix the rampant tearing issues, and his replies amounted to "why do you want that? It’ll ruin performance" and "omg I just fixed a bug in Kingdom Hearts!!".

Gradius V still has the corrupt blur on stage 2, 13 years later.

Anonymous

Or Primal

Anonymous

What sorta games are you looking for?

Anonymous

I would like some JRPG recommendations since I’ve never really played them. Lately I’ve had fun with Final Fantasy X, and I’d like more similar ones with both an engaging story and satisfying battle system, and also not too easy.

I also want to play the survival horror games like Fatal Frame, Kuon, Rule of Rose, etc., so if you know any more to try I’d like to know. Also planning on checking out From Software’s catalog with games like Evergrace since they seem interesting.

Anonymous

Try Xenosaga 1 for a battle system that’s a little bit more invested than regular turn based stuff (Though it is still turn based), shadow hearts is good, with a fun story, the suikoden games are alright with nifty stories, the ps2 is a goldmine of JRPGs, it’s more about what sort of story you want.

Star ocean 3 is classic.

Anonymous

>it’s more about what sort of story you want.
              Do you know of any with a strong cast of characters that are all fleshed out, and a story that goes in interesting ways, kind of like a VN? I know Persona is the obvious answer to this but something with an even better cast/setting would be cool.

Anonymous

persona is obviously the go-to, but xenosaga, again, seems like what you’d want. Going into 2/3 the battle system gets absolutely gently caressed, but the story definitely seems fit for what you’re searching. It’s set in a space opera sort of setting, xenogears spiritual prequel/successor depending on how you look at it.

Anonymous

I’ll give it a try, thanks. Do you know if DQ8 is also as good as people say?

Anonymous

Yes but you should also play Dragon Quest VII as well when you get the chance and have 5 years to spare

Anonymous

Dragon Quest 8 is great fun.

Anonymous

DQ8 is like the FF7 of the series. Great game that is a good entryway to the rest of the series.

Anonymous

If you want to play DQ8 emulated on pcsx2 be prepared to play it in software mode. Hardware mode currently has a serious bug that won’t let you advance past a certain point (I won’t spoil it to you).

Anonymous

star wars:
        revenge of the sith
        the force unleashed
        booty hunter
        ———————————
        mortal kombat shaolin monks
        bleach blade battlers 2
        predator concrete jungle

Anonymous

Tobal 2, for the Quest mode. Playing as Mary.

It’s going terrible because I’m gently caressing shit.

Anonymous

Just finished No More Heroes tonight. Dolphin kept up pretty well. Fun game

Anonymous

just finished Metroid Prime 1 (again), with the mouse and keyboard hack. unbelievable how much this improved an already great game. 10/10 would recommend.

Otherwise im playing a pokemon romhack called crystal clear. most fun Ive had with pokémon since black/white. Although i havent played any of the newer ones and am an eternal gen 1 boomer

Anonymous

Primehack truly is a masterwork

Anonymous

I know Zsnes is a low-tier SNES emulator these days in terms of actual emulation accuracy but I’ll be damned if its UI aesthetic is ever topped.

Anonymous

don’t other emulators use the same UI as well? I switched once I could not play Super Mario RPG.

Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Anonymous

>Whatcha emulating?
      Playing SA2 on my Switch, with RetroArch. SA1 is my favourite game of all time, but I had never played its sequel before.
      When I started the game today, and I spindash jumped off of a slope just after the snowboard section in City Escape, I came buckets. That very moment, I knew kino was back in the menu.

Anonymous

I was emulating with epsxe but suddenly the exe decided to gently caress off when i was changing games. Never happened before and im kinda pissed about it

Anonymous

Maybe your antivirus got it for some reason.

Anonymous

No idea, it just changed the resolution to my settings and shutdown the exe instantly and deleted it without notice. Never had any problems with it before so no idea what caused it

Anonymous

RDR on Xenia at a silky 26 fps

Anonymous

>26fps
        better than native then

Anonymous

This gem. I love this game, and I play through it every now and then. I may play Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine after this.

Anonymous

Link’s awakening.

Anonymous

What is this emulator?

Anonymous

Retroarch using preset shaders.

Anonymous

the overlays and shaders are the best thing of Retroarch once you configure it correctly.

Anonymous

I wonder if this would still look nice on my 60 inch

Gonna try

Anonymous

Persona 3 Fes on PCSX2. Thank god for save states because RNG in this game is bullshit, and the fact that you can’t control other party members directly was a horrible design choice.

Anonymous

>the fact that you can’t control other party members directly was a horrible design choice
        Why not just play the PSP version? It has exactly this.

Anonymous

That is true, but I’m like 3/4 of the way in, and don’t want to start over now.

Anonymous

How the gently caress do you get Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike Online Edition as a full game and not a trial on RPCS3?

Anonymous
          Anonymous

That’s exactly what I downloaded but it still shows up a trial
          am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous

Wouldn’t it just be easier to pirate the 30th Anniversary collection?

Anonymous

I tried doing that a while back but there was a trojan in it

Anonymous

Got mine from fitgirl a long time ago and it’s been fine. Try that one.

Anonymous

why don’t you just play it on fightcade like a normal person?

i know online edition is different, i miss it too.

Wouldn’t it just be easier to pirate the 30th Anniversary collection?

thats basically the same as the arcade version, not the online edition of last gen consoles

Anonymous

>why don’t you just play it on fightcade like a normal person?
          Because I want to use it for a training mode and Parry Trials

Anonymous

yeah i feel you

Anonymous

X:Files Resist or Server, I’ve never played Resident Evil but I assume thats what it’s trying to be to a degree.

Anonymous

My gently caressing potato PC can’t run credits in The 25th Ward, so I emulating this before I buy a new one

Anonymous

Skate 3. Was expecting stable 60fps but dips to the 40s often. Still playable.

Anonymous

Eternal Punishment at the moment, but I’ve nearly finished it

Anonymous

Does ScummVM count? I’ve been playing Monkey Island, and just now started playing Flight of the Amazon Queen.

Anonymous

Front mission DS version

Anonymous

I kinda want to make an emulator for some obscure shitty consoles

Anonymous

>I kinda want to make an emulator for some obscure shitty consoles
        N-Gage is always available anon.

Anonymous

there has to be a good reason nobody has done any decent progress on that yet, r-right?

Anonymous

I think the phone sold like shit so no one is interested to emulate it just for 5 games it had.

Anonymous

I think N-Cage has more exclusives than XB1.

Anonymous

Xbox was known for it’s superior ports that flew under the radar due to ps2 dominance

Anonymous

the ps2 years were still in the jrpg years and dominated xbox on that alone. it was only known as the halo box and still is today for that reason

Anonymous

>knowledge is the limit of my ignorance

Anonymous

I’m addicted to Retro Achievements right now. Gives me an excuse to not drop a game so quickly.

Anonymous

Doesn’t that require its own emulator fork? Are those up to date/buggy?

Anonymous

You just download a compatible core (which is most of them) and use the correct rom,

Been using it for a while now and bugs only seem to happen if you keep saving and loading states. I find it better to play on hardcore mode instead.

Anonymous

It probably monitors the ROM or something for achievement ticks, right? Does that cause any lag?

Anonymous

No lag from what I’ve played.

In Oot for example, I kept loading a save state that was in a cutscene before a boss but that achievement never popped, but it popped if I loaded before entering the boss room. It probably tracks things like that.

Anonymous

I’ll try it out then, why not. Since it’s a community thing I’m guessing the cheevos vary wildly in quality/actually functioning if it’s not on an older ROM or emulator.

Anonymous

Ma nigga. It’s a fun extra challenge and a good motivator to get through some of the more archaic games instead of playing it for 5 minutes and dropping it.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Did you start playing the game NEW??

Anonymous

Is that Parallel N64 thing exclusive to Retroarch?

Anonymous

I think so. Supposed to be a continuation of Mupen64 or something.

Anonymous

That sucks, would’ve liked to see a standalone version.

Anonymous

Can you emulate GBA games on a 3ds?

Anonymous

GBA runs natively on 3DS through injection
        t. playing fe7 injected

Anonymous

Great, thanks

Anonymous

Hoping to finally beat FF8. Every so often I start it up but never really get far. Now just on Disk 3 and hope I can finally move on with this game.

Anonymous

Can someone who knows CEMU well help me not be retarded?

I get pic related (and a failure to start) if I try to launch CEMU with the following conditions:
      1) use a shortcut with the "-g" command line parameter to pass a .wud/.rpx/etc and boot directly into a game
      2) Vulkan renderer is enabled

I can boot via shortcut just fine with the OpenGL renderer selected.

I also know the problem isn’t the Vulkan renderer itself, because if I open up the CEMU application first and then use the file menu to pick a game file (.rpx/.wud/etc) it also works just fine.

It’s only the specific combination of passing the game in on startup and the Vulkan renderer that causes it to shit the bed, and it’s done it for every version of CEMU that’s had Vulkan, up to and including 1.17d

Googling this error gives NOTHING. I haven’t found a single other instance of this error message appearing anywhere on the internet. I feel so alone.

Anonymous

try without the command line parameter?

Anonymous

It (obviously) it works without the command line parameter. I can boot CEMU from a shortcut just the same as I can by clicking directly on the .exe file

But I’d like for the command line parameter to work with the Vulkan renderer as it does with OpenGL because I like to keep shortcuts for individual games and don’t enjoy dicking around with menus to load titles when I’m using my controller to navigate my computer.

Anonymous

Hmm, then I got nothing, sorry man.
            I don’t know anything about command line parameters, I’d suggest you ask /emugen/ over on /vg/ or even Ganker
            I also don’t know how much you already tried researching but I’ll try and find some stuff myself
            I did a quick google search and found a page for your particular issue from 29 days ago http://bugs.cemu.info/issues/240
            If that was you that submitted this then just ignore that
            At the very least, it seems to be in their system
            Someone on reddit says disabling ReShade fixes an issue where Vulkan crashes where OpenGL doesn’t but has no mention of command line parameters

Anonymous

I saw that bit on Reddit (technically his error message isn’t the same as mine) but I’m not using ReShade or anything like that. I hadn’t seen that bug on the tracker, at least that does mean one other person has noticed this… hopefully something gets done about it at some point.

Anonymous

NieR: Replicant

Anonymous

PCSX is the best standalone ps1 emulator, right?

Anonymous

Mednafen PSX is the most accurate
        Beetle PSX HW on RetroArch is the one with the latest enhancement options
        As for anything inbetween, ymmv

Anonymous

Persona 3 on my Switch. It’s become a emulation machine at this point.

Anonymous

Playing through Chain of Memories. Riku’s fourth boss is kicking my ass.

Anonymous

P5 on rpcs3
      Surprisingly ran well on my 2gb ram toaster

Anonymous

need help, should i play these games on cemu or switch:
      dkctf, nsmbu, bayonetta 1+2

Anonymous

If you have a semi powerful computer, go with Cemu

Anonymous

i already played botw on pc since its 60fps and 30fps on switch but if the other ones i’ve mentioned are 60fps on switch there is no reason to play them on pc since emulation is never perfect right?

Anonymous

Trying to get ps2 games emulated on my GPD Win 1

Anonymous

how hot does that thing get? i got a GPD XD and it gets pretty warm with ps1 emulation

Anonymous

Vice City Stories

after all these years, it’s like finding an extremely belated Christmas present

Anonymous

I’ve been playing Super Castlevania IV. I beat CV1+SOTN and was enjoying CV3 with some romhacks but it kept crashing on me.
      I’ve also just started playing Pokemon Emerald because I didn’t play anything past gold/silver. I want to play something 3D soon and I don’t know what to play, I wanted to try some dreamcast shit but everything on that system is arcade/puzzle/launch title tier shit.

Anonymous

Check out rondo of blood for the pcenginecd or bloodlines for the genesis if you want more classic styled castlevania

Anonymous

Yeah Rondo is on my list, i’m unsure about bloodlines though. I might be burned out on cv by then and I do want to play more early 3d shit.

Anonymous

i’ve been playing Yakuza 5 with 10 fps kek

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>tfw in 3 or 4 years every worthwhile console will be """"perfectly"""" emulated on a cheap machine

Anonymous

Working my way through the Saturn library now that Mednafen finally runs well on my machine.
      Currently playing Panzer Dragoon.

Anonymous
Viewing 67 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.