Games With Foreboding Atmospheres

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic Games With Foreboding Atmospheres

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Any more games with atmospheres like Diablo? I started playing it for the first time and Iove games that really get you tense on the atmosphere alone. Stuff like Doom 64, Tomb Raider 1, and Silent Hill.

• #8808 Reply
      Anonymous

it's a meme now, but majoras mask
      a great one is super metroid, the atmosphere of that one isn't pretentious and feels lonely
      a gemstone is oddworld abes odyssey, you feel pressed to save your clan

• #8810 Reply
        Anonymous

I loved Majora's Mask and Super Metroid. Abe's Odyssey is definitely one I have to check out now, thanks.

Unironically Dark Souls.
        I do love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls partially for the atmosphere as well.

• #8809 Reply
      Anonymous

Unironically Dark Souls.

• #8817 Reply
        Anonymous

this but bloodborne much moreso

• #8811 Reply
      Anonymous

God, I love Doom 64, i wish there were more anons to talk about it with

• #8812 Reply
        Anonymous

soon anon, soon…

• #8813 Reply
      Anonymous

System Shock and the first Bioshock come to mind

• #8814 Reply
      Anonymous

D1 and D2 are really masterful in that regard. There are a lot of other games with a menacing atmosphere but none quite like those games.
      Yume Nikki might fit the bill

• #8815 Reply
      Anonymous

grim dawn

• #8816 Reply
      Anonymous

Darkest Dungeon

• #8818 Reply
      Anonymous

Stalker games kind of give you this feel

• #8819 Reply
      Anonymous

Thanks for all the recs, lads. I'll make a list of all the ones I haven't played. I've also been looking at Harvester and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, are those any good?

• #8820 Reply
        Anonymous

>Harvester
        It's pretty trash, only notable for being kind of funny at parts
        >I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
        If you can deal with Point and Clicks, i'd recommend it. Allied Master Computer is a gently caressing great villain and anything based on Harlan Ellison is cool. I'd describe the atmosphere less as 'tense' and more 'hopeless'

• #8823 Reply
          Anonymous

Not really, they're pretty schlocky and I found the latter inadvertently comical most of the time, the original short story is leagues better, some things don't need to be games.
          If you haven't ever played the older TES games namely Arena and Daggerfall, they both have pretty dread inducing atmosphere though the gameplay is unforgiving and tedious
          Alright, thanks for the insight. I think I'll avoid Harvester and check out I Have No Mouth when it's on sale.

• #8822 Reply
        Anonymous

Not really, they're pretty schlocky and I found the latter inadvertently comical most of the time, the original short story is leagues better, some things don't need to be games.
        If you haven't ever played the older TES games namely Arena and Daggerfall, they both have pretty dread inducing atmosphere though the gameplay is unforgiving and tedious

• #8821 Reply
      Anonymous

I would recommend Sylvio. You'll either love it or hate it but it definitely serves up a bleak atmosphere.

• #8824 Reply
      Anonymous

metro 2033

• #8825 Reply
      Anonymous

Quake

• #8826 Reply
      Anonymous
Viewing 13 reply threads
Reply To: Games With Foreboding Atmospheres
Your information:

Upload image to imgur:

Clicking submit = agreeing with the rules. Good posts may get edited and promoted to a blog post.