Have low poly games aged poorly?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Have low poly games aged poorly?

• This topic has 341 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 60 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Have low poly games aged poorly?

Anonymous

graphics never bother me in video games, control schemes do

tank controls are terrible and anyone that defends them is mentally deficient.

Anonymous

filtered by a control scheme that was deemed accessible to children. that’s just pathetic tbh

Anonymous

>fighting tyrant in RE
          >shoot
          >turn turn turn
          >walk
          >turn turn turn
          >shoot
          >turn turn turn
          >walk
          ….

absolutely gripping and exciting gameplay there!

Anonymous

i never said resident evil had good boss fights.

Anonymous

Who’s orange haired Haruko?

Anonymous

https://nagatoro.fandom.com/wiki/Maki_Gamou

i never said resident evil had good boss fights.

what did you say? were you actually defending tank controls?
              I mean, you aren’t mentally deficient, are you?

Anonymous

of course i am faggot. tank controls aren’t perfect but they are satisfying to master and they can be mastered as long as you are older than 6 and have at least half of functioning brain. fixed camera angles will be based for his long as that poor bastard is ashamed to be your father i.e. forever now fuck off and never @ me again

Anonymous

>I mean, you aren’t mentally deficient, are you?
                I could ask you the same thing, considering literal elementary school ESL children could master the control scheme with no issues back in late 90s.

Anonymous

>considering literal elementary school ESL children could master the control scheme with no issues back in late 90s.
                  literally me

Anonymous

found the journalist

Anonymous

There!

Anonymous

Based yoshi

Anonymous

You’re supposed to use the dodge mechanic, try again

Anonymous

>Not using quickturn
            Even silent hill had a snap 180 on a button combo.

Anonymous

Tank controls only work with, well, tanks. Anything else is just retarded

Anonymous

tank controls are great, it’s just the name that’s wrong. Actor relative controls are the correct name and they provide a distinct oneness to the player. People generally like them and they aren’t a problem unless you’re a nintendobab or something.

Anonymous

>tank controls are terrible and anyone that defends them is mentally deficient.
            Only literal retards would have problem with 3D control schemes.

of course i am faggot. tank controls aren’t perfect but they are satisfying to master and they can be mastered as long as you are older than 6 and have at least half of functioning brain. fixed camera angles will be based for his long as that poor bastard is ashamed to be your father i.e. forever now fuck off and never @ me again

not about being unable to use tank controls, just because your e-peepee is tied to how well you can use a outdated and terrible control scheme doesn’t make them worthwhile, and it doesn’t make you intelligent.

you faggots sound like a bunch of rick and morty fans whenever someone doesn’t laugh at one of the jokes in the show, "you must not have got it because you aren’t a GALAXY BRAIN like I am, brb while I go work at my minimum wage gas station job."

i can just imagine someone eating soup with a soup, and you dumb fucks coming into a restaurant, "what?! using a spoon, are you retarded?!? why not just use your hand?! it is literally something a 6 year old could do, you must not have an IQ over 100."

Anonymous

Projecting too hard and literally not saying anything else than you’re bad at video games and lack 3D perspection skills to boot.

Anonymous

makes sense, since humans move exactly like tanks IRL.

Anonymous

video games are not humans. They’re games, with rules and conditions you need to apply yourself to.

Anonymous

god I love re4

Anonymous

Huh, I never thought of doing that. Anytime a Plasgas emerged I focus fired it immediately, never even tried to study it’s pattern.

I’d do something similar to normal villagers, bait out the swing then run in to knife, really effective against the guys with Torches since one hit while they’re blowing and they kill themselves.

Can you do anything similar with the facehugger and headbitiers?

Anonymous

>some dumbass faggot bullshit
              >more classics from your smug reaction image folder
              >food analogy
              yeah you really told us

Anonymous

video games are not humans. They’re games, with rules and conditions you need to apply yourself to.

>"muh nostalgia"

tank controls were never good, they just designed the controls that way because analog sticks didn’t exist yet.
                they were outdated the moment the games were released, but if you dipshits need something to make yourself feel intelligent with, by all means.

Anonymous

The only good thing about tank controls is so it doesn’t fuck you over when the camera changes position suddenly

Anonymous

that’s fair, since the camera angles are janky as fuck in most games that use tank controls, but that is the only good thing, and camera controls have improved to the point where you don’t need tank controls.

Anonymous

There’s no nostalgia for me. They have always been good. You just lack basic skill of putting little bit of effort into mastering easy controls.

Anonymous

>calling tank controls shit = not being able to use tank controls
                    that’s some nice cope you got there.
                    tank controls are shit, and you are mentally deficient.

the reason games go to shit when they start taking community feedback is because the devs listen to people like you.

Anonymous

>not about being unable to use tank controls, just because your e-peepee is tied to how well you can use a outdated and terrible control scheme doesn’t make them worthwhile, and it doesn’t make you intelligent.
              not a fan of tank controls, but sure it doesn’t make them intelligent but it proves your simply cannot handle abstraction

Anonymous

>eating soup with a soup

Anonymous

>eating soup with a soup

Anonymous

>tank controls are terrible and anyone that defends them is mentally deficient.
        Only literal retards would have problem with 3D control schemes.

Anonymous

>instead of just walking sideways like a sane human being you have to stop, turn to face the direction you want to go, and then move forwards

please tell me you don’t actually think this is in any way better than modern 3D movement using a joystick

Anonymous

Nobody arguing that. The argument is that tank controls weren’t so bad. Stay filtered.

Anonymous

>tank controls weren’t so bad.
              compared to what?

What exactly is tank controls better than? Its legitimately one step away from godawful and there is a very good reason NO ONE USES IT ANYMORE. It’s like saying incandescent bulbs weren’t so bad compared to fucking gas lighting which literally killed the people who used it, all while ignoring how LED lights objectively better in literally every way.

Anonymous

>fighting tyrant in RE
        >shoot
        >turn turn turn
        >walk
        >turn turn turn
        >shoot
        >turn turn turn
        >walk
        ….

absolutely gripping and exciting gameplay there!

>post accompanied by smug anime girl pic
        i have never agreed with one of these in over 10 years, that’s quite the achievement

Anonymous

It’s mostly spooks trying to fit in these days. If you aren’t sourcing your material from the media relevant to the board you’re posting on, you’re a fed.

Anonymous

what the fuck did you just say?

Anonymous

>he plays silent hill 2 with tank controls
          AHAHAHAHAHA do teamsilentfags actually???

Anonymous

Tank controls were honestly part of the charm in those games, I tried to play SH 2 and 3 with the 2D control mode, but it just felt too snappy and not suitable to the constantly changing fixed camera angles. Origins also got rid of the tank controls altogether and it felt like something was missing

Anonymous

>tank controls
        It works in games with fixed camera or on a keyboard, but tank controls in old fps’ filter me every time

Anonymous

this but add level design, like some of the Mario 64 worlds.

Anonymous

Nah they work pretty well for games like Silent Hill.

Anonymous

it works with outdated fixed cameras, that is true.

but just because it works, doesn’t make it good.

i can shit in my trash can instead of my toilet, it works, but it doesn’t mean it is a good decision.

Anonymous

>t. can’t play games without a twinstick/wasd setup

Anonymous

>being a hipster for tank controls
          lmao ok.

Anonymous

Tank controls aren’t bad at all. Hell, look no further than RE4 to see that you’re wrong. People love the fuck out of that game for it’s cheesy story and fantastic gameplay, and it uses tank controls.

Anonymous

>t. underage

Anonymous

Thankfully tank controls are mostly phased out by now. Now if only other archaic shit like menu-based combat system became a thing of the past too.

Anonymous

That’s funny because I think people who can’t understand tank controls are fucking retarded.

Anonymous

Based. I’ll tolerate them in old games but I will not enjoy them

Anonymous

depend on the game mostly, some very styilized are style not too horrible
      but compared to 2d art, pixel art etc. yeah
      like just look at metal slug

Anonymous

>three of the games on the left have good gameplay
      >all four of the games on the right have shit gameplay
      Every time.

Anonymous

The games on both sides are great, except Quest 64. Even that isn’t as bad as people used to say.

Anonymous

>Even that isn’t as bad as people used to say.
          True, it’s worse

Anonymous

I love how Nintendo fans only play Nintendo games and nothing else yet still confidently dismiss any non-Nintendo games as having shit gameplay despite not playing them

Anonymous

>vagrant story
          >threads of fate
          >MGS VR missions
          None of those have good gameplay.

Anonymous

The original post said 3/4 on the left are good, and 4/4 on the right are bad, which is the usual Nintendo cope for all the compromises their daddy company has been pushing onto them ever since the N64

>it might be a worse smaller less ambitious completely uninventive ugly yet another Mario/Zelda rehash that took half a decade to make and is the only remotely worthwhile game on the console b-b-but at least the gameplay is good!
            Meanwhile every single other game or console has tons of good games with good gameplay, that have other things on top, what’s standard to the rest of the industry is their shining insurmountable peak, yet they’ll never know it since they refuse to play anything else

Anonymous

I was willing to not pass judgement on Tomba yet because I haven’t played much of it. What I did play was really slow and uninteresting though.

Anonymous

>really slow and uninteresting
                Funny that’s how I felt playing every single 3D Zelda

Anonymous

I think you’re just the opposite of a nintendofag if you really believe this
              Western AAA has been shit for a decade now. They just poorly ape the gameplay of older superior games and stick in some oc donut steal movie game story

Anonymous

Those all have good gameplay. Great games, all of them. I have a craving to play VR missions again now.

Anonymous

Thanks for this. Saved.

Anonymous

it’s pretty simple, and this applies to 2d and all visual media really.
      developers or artists that work within the boundaries of their creation and stylize, exaggerate and simplify will create a game that ages better. on the left side you see these people are using probably the highest resolution textures the consoles could support while also trying to make it look realistic. that doesn’t work. that’s why things like sly cooper still looks presentable despite being a PS2 game because it went for a cartoony comic book vibe that the console could support.

meanwhile.. .grand turismo? dogwater

Anonymous

smartest post itt

Anonymous

>quest 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3EL24UmCcI

people call MGSV unfinished, this game was like exploring a barren lunar landscape

it didn’t age poorly honestly, it was somewhat poor to begin with. Still liked it as a kid because this was before I played an objectively good game and you kinda filled in the gaps with IMAGINATION

Anonymous

Graphics peaked in the 7th generation and it’s been diminishing returns ever since.

Anonymous

I was in middle school during the 5th gen, I think of it as being "my" generation of consoles, and sadly, I can’t play any of those games these days. They all look like such shit, even on crt (of course I have 1). Luckily I also played a lot of snes and nes so at least I still have that for glorious nostalgia wanking but fuck the n64 to hell. The lone exception is Waverace 64, the best racing game ever made.

Anonymous

thought on modern games that try to ape the early 3d asthetic?

Anonymous

I’m very eagerly waiting for Alisa. It looks great.

Anonymous

generally they miss the mark mostly because they aren’t competent artists

Anonymous

They look good for the most part but there always ends up being some anachronisms present that slightly ruin the illusion.

Anonymous

Its mostly dependant on artistic skill by the developers, but I think overall (early) xbos360/ps3 era games have aged the worst.
      Lots of shine used in the shaders, goofy ragdoll physics, wooden animations and an abundance of post screen effects (lots of bloom and extreme dark/light contrast)

Anonymous

this
        it’s right in the middle of weaker graphics that were very stylized and saturated and the much higher fidelity and more realistic stuff that came after
        it’s like an uncanny valley thing almost, i. e. models then tend to still look pretty decent relatively but stuff like textures are often way lower res than you’d think looking back

Anonymous

true but there are few exceptions to the rule, namely Dead Rising which still to this day holds up visually.

Anonymous

N64
      >Games with full 3D movement and free control over the camera. Creating a truly 3D space where nothing was hidden.
      >These kind of games were on the N64 since it launched.

PS1
      >Games with tank controls and no control over the camera. Creating a forced perspective on the world in order to make a 2.5D world look 3D.
      >Took until 1998 (Spyro) for the PS1 to have the kind of full 3D space the Nintendo 64 had when it launched.

Anonymous

What’s the point of a free camera if all it does is impede gameplay with its jank while allowing you to look at different angles of shit

Anonymous

>impede gameplay
          >examples on the left are a fighting game and two jarpigs
          LOL

Anonymous

>free camera
            >impede gameplay
            Did you even stop for one second to actually think before writing this shit?

I’m talking about the awful clunky cameras present in every 3D Mario and Zelda game that restrict level design to accommodate for how shit they are and require terrible workarounds like the jank action-stopping combat lock on to be made to work

Anonymous

>the awful clunky cameras present in every 3D Mario and Zelda game that restrict level design to accommodate for how shit they are
              That isn’t the case for Zelda or Mario. Threads of Fate on the other hand well…

Anonymous

Just because you tied your identity to Nintendo and can’t admit to their games’ failings because it would bring your entire world down doesn’t mean it’s not true

Anonymous

But it clearly isn’t true and is just something you made up right now.

Anonymous

Again I’ve played almost every 3D Zelda and Mario game and they’re hilariously janky and stilted in controls and pacing because Nintendo still hasn’t worked out control and camera problems from the N64, I like the games because I’m tolerant but I’m not going to lie to myself or others about their imagined qualities

at least admit that you don’t care about gameplay and just want to look at pretty shit

I do care about gameplay, but if the dilemma is between pretty graphics and gameplay well designed around a limitation vs ugly graphics and gameplay that hasn’t come to terms with its ambitions, I’ll pick the first one over the half-baked one every time

Anonymous

>I’ve played almost every 3D Zelda and Mario game and they’re hilariously janky and stilted in controls and pacing because Nintendo still hasn’t worked out control and camera problems from the N64
                      Play more games.

Anonymous

Compared to Nintendo fans, I do, I play a wide variety of games and have a healthy frame of reference, Nintendo’s game design is stuck in the 90s compared to everyone else

Anonymous

>I play a wide variety of games and have a healthy frame of reference
                        If that were true you’d understand why Zelda and Mario were and are still so well regarded.

Anonymous

I know exactly why, for using their brand strength and marketing money to popularize games with normies, and that’s pretty much it

Anonymous

>using their brand strength and marketing money to popularize games with normies
                        That is literally Sony.

Anonymous

Sony marketed their console, not their games, every single casual "I freaking love video games" "gaming fan" worships only Nintendo games and tattoos the triforce onto their body and draws Mario levels on their kids’ bedroom walls.

Anonymous

>Sony marketed their console, not their games
                        Naturally.

Anonymous

I’m glad we agree Nintendo ruined gaming communities and contributed to widespread casualization and normification of the industry

Anonymous

>contributed to widespread casualization and normification of the industry
                        Nah that was Sony, quite blatantly.

Anonymous

Nah only Nintendo fans do embarrassing shit like this

I love how Nintendo fans only play Nintendo games and nothing else yet still confidently dismiss any non-Nintendo games as having shit gameplay despite not playing them

because they don’t play non-Nintendo games, no other dev or console gets away scot-free with bullshit as much as Nintendo does

Anonymous

>only Nintendo fans do embarrassing shit like this
                        Did you see the OP of this thread by chance?

Anonymous

Comparing bad low poly to good low poly? What’s the issue

Anonymous

At least compare it to the game that inspired CTR

Anonymous

Mario 64 has great controls and gameplay

Anonymous

Play more games or replay Mario 64

Anonymous

Replayed it a few weeks ago, it’s still one of the best 3D platformers.

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

Name some better 3d platformers, with as good controls or movement options. I dare you, I double-dog dare you motherfucker.

Anonymous

>Name some better 3d platformers,
                        Most non-Nintendo platformers are better than every 3D Mario for the simple reason of being allowed to be interesting and not a kid friendly widely appealing generic mascot with no personality

>with as good controls or movement options
                        Why include the qualifier, Mario 64 might have controls that are slightly more advanced than the regular 3D platformer (and come with the price of a much worse camera) but there’s still fucking nothing to do with them except self-imposed challenges, they don’t actually add to the game in any way and any other 3D platformer with actually interesting things to see or do is better despite having a simpler control scheme

Same problem with BotW, a fine framework but they did jack shit with it because they’re so risk-averse in order to appeal to little kids, the games are fucking empty and devoid of challenge or interesting quirks, meanwhile I’m willing to compromise on the polish of controls as long as the game itself is actually good

Anonymous

You typed all that gayshit and not a single example of a better game.

Anonymous

Literally any 3D platformer, Banjo, Rayman, Spyro, Gex, Jak, Tak, take your pick, there’s Scrimblo Bimblos as far as the eye can see

Anonymous

>Gex and Tak better than Mario 64

Anonymous

>Most non-Nintendo platformers are better than every 3D Mario for the simple reason of being allowed to be interesting and not a kid friendly widely appealing generic mascot with no personality
                        Do Alicefags really?

Anonymous

why didn’t you name any better games?

Anonymous

>Most non-Nintendo platformers are better than every 3D Mario
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
                        >there’s still fucking nothing to do with them except self-imposed challenges
                        Just being able to move around in a fun way is always important for a genre based on moving and jumping around, regardless of your objective. You can have more fun just messing around in Mario 64 than you’d have completing other games.

Anonymous

Nope, you’re paying for a game, not a tech demo, Nintendo spends way too long fine-tuning the controls they run out of time to implement anything actually fun to do with it, happens every time. It’s like making a car and spending 80% of the budget on the comfort of the seats and steering wheel, forgetting to put in a refuelable fuel tank so you can only drive it once but hey at least it’s comfy to sit in and pretend to drive!

Anonymous

>this game controls too well, where are my movies!!
                        Sonyfans…

Anonymous

Mario 3D platformers still have more interesting objectives and required platforming than something like Gex. If you’re "pretending to drive" in Mario 64, I don’t know what the hell you’re doing in those other 3D platformers.

Anonymous

Nah I think being a PI dealing with mafia in one level, an ancient greek hero in another, and a superhero in yet another, in wildly different well developed levels is much more interesting than "collect 100 stars in abstract mish-mash of low poly blocks and stock textures AGAIN"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-IvhtDUhQ
                        Behold Nintenfags, a platformer far superior to your bing bing wahoo garbage

Yep, glad we agree

Anonymous

>cares more about the story/themes in a game than actual gameplay
                        Yep, it’s a snoy.

Anonymous

I have the perfect game for you, pure gameplay and not a scary point of interest in theme in sight

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

It’s about on par with Mario 64 when it comes to jank

Anonymous

>Who cares? Really who actually cares?
                        Tendies do, that’s why they refuse to play anything without the funny red had italian man on the cover

Anonymous

Are you talking shit about one of Ullilillia’s favorites?

Anonymous

Those are all gameplay related, you can fly as a hero, you can break giant stones as an ancient greek hero etc, it’s context for your powerups that’s more than just "le funny italian grabbed the wings and now he fly"

Anonymous

Sad, isn’t it? The snoy is incapable of understanding the joy of pure gaming. Perhaps if Mario 64 had more ""FMVs"" he would enjoy it more.

Anonymous

>only play the one game your parents bought you for christmas as a kid because that’s all they saw ads for
                        >play nothing else ever but see all the kids playing dozens of others more varied games
                        >call them all shit without playing them and then plug your ears and go "lalalalala" so you can’t see how they’re better than what you have
                        The saddest cope..

Anonymous

>inventing elaborate backstories for strawmen in your head

Anonymous

It’s not an elaborate backstory, it’s the origin of every single 64fag without fail, you can see the birth of Switchfags the same way since it also only has two games

Anonymous

Even now, his mind is utterly broken trying to comprehend Nintendo’s superior games. Reduced to spamming basedjaks. We should pity him.

Anonymous

>
                        >Even now, his mind is utterly broken trying to comprehend Nintendo’s superior games. Reduced to spamming basedjaks. We should pity him.

Anonymous

>
                        >Sad, isn’t it? The snoy is incapable of understanding the joy of pure gaming. Perhaps if Mario 64 had more ""FMVs"" he would enjoy it more.

Anonymous

>
                        >>cares more about the story/themes in a game than actual gameplay
                        >Yep, it’s a snoy.

Anonymous

The only game from 1996 on Playstation anyone even pretends to like anymore is Crash Bandicoot.

Anonymous

Nah, 1996 had other good PSX games
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8EKttSu3I

Anonymous

Was this intro done by JC Staff? It looks just like their late 90s run of Majutsushi Orphen with a coat of "we’re not doing a seasonal so we’re putting effort into the animation this time" paint on top.

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

>what is tomb raider
                        fuck you melanoid
                        >verification not required.

Anonymous

Exactly, if he played the kind of jank crap on Playstation at the time he’d have an even greater appreciation for Mario 64.

Anonymous

Oh anon, you card.

Anonymous

>These are all different rooms.jpg
                its OK when nintendo does it

Anonymous

Fake news.

Anonymous

>lmao disproven because only 5 of the locations are exactly the same!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

kek

Anonymous

Those rooms looking the same is literally the point. It’s the Lost Woods, it’s supposed to look similar. Of course it was likely them using a technical limitation as a gameplay mechanic, but I think that’s cool. You would have a much better argument if you used the underground cavern room that is reused several times.

Anonymous

>Those rooms looking the same is literally the point
                    yeah same here:

>the awful clunky cameras present in every 3D Mario and Zelda game that restrict level design to accommodate for how shit they are
                    That isn’t the case for Zelda or Mario. Threads of Fate on the other hand well…

Get it yet?

Anonymous

Zelda 1 has better gameplay than Threads of Fate.

Anonymous

But wasn’t his argument about shitty camera controls? I’ve not played Threads of Fate, so I’m not going to talk shit about it, but his argument was about shitty camera controls, not the rooms looking the same, which was your criticism, and is what I was responding to.

Anonymous

Seems odd to pick of threads of fate for its camera. It has none of the problems of its contemporaries with the camera. Is rigged so it never jarringly clips geometry, shows you the action well with nothing really coming off screen. You’ve never played it but it’s a fairly rigid game, rooms usually just have one perspective and the camera follows the player so as to smoothen things out.

Anonymous

>free camera
          >impede gameplay
          Did you even stop for one second to actually think before writing this shit?

Anonymous

at least admit that you don’t care about gameplay and just want to look at pretty shit

Anonymous

>look at this
          >look at that
          what about
          >play this
          >interact with that

Anonymous

I hate you "muh gameplay" faggots so damn much, suspend your shitty opinion signaling for five goddamn minutes so we can have a discussion about something else, not like you faggots ever actually discuss gameplay on its own, it’s always just interjecting in others’ discussion to claim how superior you are for not caring about it

Anonymous

Do not forget the polygons in ps1 games jumping all over the place, making it all look like one big jittery mess.

Anonymous

>>Games with tank controls and no control over the camera. Creating a forced perspective on the world in order to make a 2.5D world look 3D.
        here’s a PS1 game with modern right stick camera controls where you use the shoulder buttons to do actions and the left stick to move, right stick to shoot, n64 couldn’t do this because it only had one stick but there’s PS1 games as old as 1997 which use the modern left stick move the player right stick move the camera approach

Anonymous

wtf is going on here? does she have downs?

Anonymous

She’s chinese

Anonymous

Out of all those games only Vagrant Story holds up.

Anonymous

i think quest 64 still looks good. it has a bright, colorful and appealing 3d style and landscapes that still is neat

Anonymous

>FMVstation

Anonymous

That Mei Ling thing is completely separate from the rest of the game, why don’t you use the actual in-game graphics?

Anonymous

If it plays good and I have fun, why do I care.

Anonymous

Low poly with modern lightning is based as fuck and wont pretend otherwise

Anonymous

Soipoly is trash and you are trash for thinking it looks good

Anonymous

Looks like shit.

Anonymous

modern lighting sucks and you should have a nice day for thinking its good

Anonymous

It can look good but that particular example doesn’t.

Anonymous

CHADS OF FATE

Anonymous

Square was so good back then bros

Anonymous

>all those games dropping in a single year
          i want to die,imagine if we still had about 7 releases worth playing every year, i’d be set for life just with squaresoft games

Anonymous

All old games aged horrendously no matter 3d or 2d, sans the odd game with unique stylization. People are only contrarians to this fact because their present lives are miserable apathetic and agonizing hollow husks and they drip with nostalgia toward the time when it was even a bit better.

Anonymous

extremely faggy post, all its missing is
        >"Just my 2 cents."
        or
        >"meh."

Anonymous

Mario 64 is great lol.

Anonymous

It’s about textures, not poly count. Games with nice textures look good no matter what, while old games with shitty textures (or no textures) look like complete ass.

Anonymous

fuck textures

Anonymous

>while old games with shitty textures (or no textures) look like complete ass.
        But I’ve always liked the look of non-textured polygons back then and to this day.
        You just have to use your imagination, but over the years I’ve found most on Ganker don’t have one at all.

Anonymous

Good textures are important. Crash would look terrible without vertex colors though. Too many devs trying to emulate retro style can’t do vertex colors and try to do everything with textures.

Anonymous

what black magic is this

Anonymous

what black magic is this

can someone explain this technique? this with vortex color is gold

Anonymous

From my completely uneducated guess, it looks like there’s a translucent gradient color layer on top of the textures, that lets you wrap a generic pixelated grain texture over the e.g. the log for texture and detail, and then you add the gradient on top to save yourself the effort of trying to paint the texture the necessary color on top of having to depict the detail, it also makes adjusting the colors easier since you don’t have to touch the texture, and potentially save on storage if you reuse the texture but color it differently depending on context e.g. the trees and the log could use the same texture but look different because the color overlay on the log shows the reflected green grass shadow light.

It does result in a soft gradient look uncharacteristic for pixel art, since the color is changing in the span of one pixel which cannot store more than one color at a time yet here they are having mini-gradients of their own.

Anonymous

sure, think it like 3 layers. You have a triangle, a gradient shade which goes across the triangle, and finally a picture of say tree bark on top of the triangle. The tree bark is plainly lit and flat. The shaded gradient is a green tint which goes from light to dark but not too light or too dark. the shape is a triangle. composite them all together you’ve got some nice looking tree bark.

Anonymous

Vertex color layer is multiplied with the texture color layer.
            Another example.

Anonymous

Curious how they still baked some light into the texture, the couch cushions gets progressively darker toward the bottom and then show a bit of reflect light, guess that’s just a neutral light to imply form on a flat surface and the vertex color is scene lighting for mood

Anonymous

Lots of vertex colors are hand painted. Or at least touched up by hand after baking.

Anonymous

god n64 games are hideous. and even more fucking ugly on real hardware.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

are you implying n64 games don’t look awful?

Anonymous
          Anonymous

man psx aint got shit on these soulful visuals

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

"No!"

Anonymous

This came out nearly 3 years before OOT

Anonymous

looks worse than n64 launch titles
                there is no competition

Anonymous

you have been blinded by hate if you can’t see how awesome wave race 64 was and still is.

Anonymous

learn to read

Anonymous

i pick and choose when it comes to schizo shit, so fuck yourself.

Anonymous

looks good for 1994

Anonymous

Sure, at least I’m not a Saturnfag

Anonymous

Saturn was cool, love Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon. Having Virtua Fighter and Virtual On at home back in the day was awesome too. There’s a lot of good Saturn games. Might’ve been disappointing back in the day compared to the other consoles, but everybody should go back now and play the Saturn games they missed on it.

Anonymous

saturn was sabotaged by sega of america because all the good titles never left japan.

Anonymous

It was also one of the first 3D games with memory streaming. So if you think about it, PS1 had games with no loading before the N64 did.

Anonymous

i think king’s field 2 was the first one to do that in 95. the first game had loading times moving between floors.

Anonymous

Either way that’s still a year before the n64.

Anonymous

Oh yeah, Melanat had no loading times between areas, that’s a fucking feat for the timeframe it came out in.

Anonymous

And this came out the same year believe it or not

Anonymous

Considering that’s the shitty DX version I don’t believe it.

Anonymous

tbh pixel art always mogged early 3d.

Anonymous

I think Turok looks pretty good still.

Anonymous

>all ‘bad’ examples are Nintendo games
      >all ‘good examples are Sony games
      Yeah, I’m totally sure you actually wanted to discuss this seriously instead of baiting consolewar shit. Fuck out of here.

Anonymous

no but this question has

Anonymous

maybe it’s because i was raised playing these game but i think they look great, a year ago played deus ex for the first time and loved how it looked

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-IvhtDUhQ
      Behold Nintenfags, a platformer far superior to your bing bing wahoo garbage

Anonymous

Absolutely based, my favourite gex game and one of my favourite ps1 games ever,
        The horror levels used to scare me so much I never finished them, replayed recently and they are just as spoopy as before but obviously I ain’t fucking scared, a remastered version of both 2 and deep cover geck with a brand new 3rd 3d remake of gex 1 would be amazing but never gonna happen, the rights holders even offered all the rights and everything of gex for free to any company willing to make a new game and not one publisher ever did anything to acquire and make a game out of gex, ashame

Anonymous

My brother gave me a 3DO for Christmas last year, actually got to play the original version of Gex 1 on it. Was pretty cool. I kinda wish Gex was still around, though it’s weird imagining a modern Gex game. Someday I’ll play more of them, never finished the games despite having all of them as a kid.

Anonymous

really just depends on the art style, some lowpoly stuff looks good enough even now and some things are just awful
      things that chased graphical fidelity over a distinct style have suffered the most from time
      2d stuff from that time definitely has aged better in general

Anonymous

>people hating on threads of fate
      I didn’t know Ganker was a homo friendly board.

Anonymous

Ironic considering this is the gayest game I’ve ever seen.

Anonymous

It’s just a console war thread, I hope most people here aren’t too serious and accept that both PSX and N64 had great games. Threads of Fate was great, like most Square games of that era.

Anonymous

>thread devolves into another Snoygger meltdown
      As predicted
      Janny, chop chop

Anonymous

>>thread devolves into another Snoygger meltdown
      >As predicted
      >Janny, chop chop

Anonymous

>thought this was a thread about low poly 3d
      >it’s just console wars shit
      fuck you

Anonymous

It was console war shit from post 1, the image is console war bait
        Sage report and hide, stop feeding the snoys

Anonymous

games don’t age, it’s just a cope made by casuals who refuse to adapt to the older playstyles

Anonymous

I like Playstation. I like Um Jammer Lammy.

Anonymous

name those games if you’re so great

Anonymous

Is this the thread where Nintendo cultists pretend Nintendo’s worst console outside of the WiiU had good games? No, SM64 and OoT are not masterpieces. Mario was good for the movement tech but had shit level design, reusage and fucked up camera and friction physics, and OoT was just casualized trash. Nintendo has done some amazing things, but none of them were on the N64.

Anonymous

Is this the thread where Sony cultists pretend Sony’s worst console outside of the PS3 had good games? No, FF7 and Metal Gear Solid are not masterpieces. Metal Gear Solid was good for the movement tech but had shit level design, reusage and fucked up camera and friction physics, and FF7 was just casualized trash. Sony has done some amazing things, but none of them were on the PSX.

Anonymous

There are no PS1 cultists because the PS1 had a giant varied library outside of first party titles, I don’t give a shit about Sony yet a lot of my favorite games are on the PS1 anyway

Anonymous

>There are no PS1 cultists
            Playstation cultists make threads seething over the N64 every day.

Anonymous

N64 fans are generally more radical, specially because they always felt more frustrated. This was specially obvious in times of N64 and Gamecube, were they would proudly claim not liking video games that aren’t made by nintendo. This was obviously the fox and the grapes bullshit that no one was buying even at the time, and this attitude has naturally decreased over time. But if you mention megadrive or psx, nintendo fans are much more prone to claim only their console had good games, what a coincidence…

Anonymous

There are no N64 cultists because the N64 had a giant varied library outside of first party titles, I don’t give a shit about Nintendo yet a lot of my favorite games are on the N64 anyway

>console war troons don’t realize they sound like morons.

Anonymous

But that’s objectively not true though, ask any N64 fan for their top 10 and every list will have at least 80% overlap, meanwhile the top 10 PS1 lists are crazy varied, I never even played most of the supposed classics yet I have a ton of favorites on the console

Anonymous

>meanwhile the top 10 PS1 lists are crazy varied
                FF7, MGS, the list goes on…

Anonymous

Never played either, or Medievil, or RE2, or Castlevania, or GT2, or Vagrant Story etc yet I still have dozens of favorites on the console

That’s because PSX had way more games. 7,918 compared to only 393 on N64. N64 arguably had a higher percentage of good games, but by sheer numbers PSX is going to have more variety of good games to try.

Well that’s my point, you can like the PS1 without liking Sony because the library was so varied, I don’t give a shit about Sony and think they’ve caused more harm than good by now, but the PS1 and PS2 are fantastic consoles with the best libraries in vidya history

Anonymous

Yeah, you’re right. I wouldn’t have a problem with people calling PSX and PS2 the best consoles of all time, there’s just so much variety on them you could spend a lifetime playing all the good games.

>Diddy Kong Racing
                    >Pilotwings 64
                    >Harvest Moon 64
                    i hate to tell you this but these games were never good

Harvest Moon 64 is the best in the series. If you don’t like the series I can understand, but I love it. Diddy Kong Racing and Pilotwings are cool, but swap them out for Goemon’s Great Adventure and Mischief Makers if you don’t like those choices. Point is there were a lot of good games for the small library.

Anonymous

>Point is there were maybe 20 good games for the small library.
                      fixed, anything else you’d try to add is an inferior multiplat

Anonymous

There are more than 20, but even 20 good games would be equivalent to 403 good games on PSX. Can you name 403 good PSX games? Go ahead.

Anonymous

There are less than 10. SM64, MM, Ogre, Banjo and Conkers. That’s it. Perfect Dark and Goemon if you want to stretch it.

Anonymous

>Star Fox 64 isn’t good

Anonymous

>GOOD/BAD RATIO IS SO IMPORTANT REEEEEE
                        there are statistically more good games on psx compared to the 64, and some autist on here could probably get you the 403 games you’re asking for, but it’s not me.

point is there’s still less to play overall on the 64, and you’ll run out of good games faster.

Anonymous

>point is there’s still less to play overall on the 64, and you’ll run out of good games faster.
                        No shit. Just saying N64 has more good games than you might expect given its small library. As somebody who doesn’t give a shit about console wars, I can enjoy both systems.

Anonymous

you’ll statistically enjoy the n64 for less time, hence why anyone that owns one never turns it on anymore

Anonymous

I still play OoT, SM64, and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie from time to time

Anonymous

yeah and i bet you emulate them too

Anonymous

well I played my n64 so much that it pooped out unless you fuck with it for 20 minutes
                        same with my ps2 too but that was more of a wire problem

Anonymous

I play my N64 weekly.

Anonymous

That’s because PSX had way more games. 7,918 compared to only 393 on N64. N64 arguably had a higher percentage of good games, but by sheer numbers PSX is going to have more variety of good games to try.

Anonymous

>N64 arguably had a higher percentage of good games
                  No it didn’t. It had like 5 games that are actually good.

Anonymous

This, people don’t think about the whole N64 library. There’s not a lot of games to start, and only a handful are truly good.

Anonymous

Mario 64
                    Zelda OoT and Majora’s Mask
                    Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
                    F-Zero X
                    Banjo Kazooie
                    Goldeneye
                    Perfect Dark
                    Mario Kart 64
                    Blast Corps
                    Pilotwings 64
                    Star Fox 64
                    Paper Mario
                    Diddy Kong Racing
                    Rogue Squadron
                    Ogre Battle 64
                    Harvest Moon 64

The list goes on. I think N64 has one of the best good game to bad game ratios, there’s just not a ton of games on the console.

Anonymous

>Diddy Kong Racing
                      >Pilotwings 64
                      >Harvest Moon 64
                      i hate to tell you this but these games were never good

Anonymous

>The list goes on
                      kek
                      barely has any games and like 20% of them are good still better than anything on psx

Anonymous

>Goldeneye
                      You’re not even pretending to be serious. That game played like shit even when it was new. You not having played PC shooters in the 90s won’t change that.

Anonymous

>t. didn’t have any friends as a kid
                        Goldeneye was always based.

Anonymous

We played fighting games (real fighting games, not that Smash shit) and CTR. When I wanted to play a shooter in the 90s, it was either Doom, Duke, or Quake. Console shooters were unplayable until twin stick was standard.

Anonymous

>Console shooters were unplayable until twin stick was standard
                        You haven’t even played Goldeneye.

Anonymous

>Console shooters were unplayable until Goldeneye
                        ftfy

I played Goldeneye in the 90s and I played it a couple of decades later on an N64 to see how it held it. It sucked back then, and it’s literally unplayable now.

Anonymous

Too much gameplay for you I’m guessing.

Anonymous

then why did I play doom on ps1 and gba and liked it?

Anonymous

>Console shooters were unplayable until Goldeneye
                        ftfy

Anonymous

Forgot to add Smash Bros

Anonymous

Add
                      Smash
                      Wave Race 64
                      Mischief Makers
                      Goemon’s Great Adventure
                      Bomberman 64
                      Kirby 64
                      Conker

N64 was so based bros

Anonymous

Battle for Naboo was pretty good. Not as good as Rogue Squadron, but good.

Anonymous

>N64 arguably had a higher percentage of good games
                  using the numbers you provided n64 library size is 4.9% that of psx. even if every single n64 game was good that would mean psx would need to match just 5% of good games. you are out of your mind to claim this.

Anonymous

>you are out of your mind to claim this.
                    You’re misunderstanding my claim, I’m agreeing with you. Even with a higher percentage of good games, PSX will have more good games because there’s vastly more games on PSX.

Anonymous

square soft alone put out more good games on the PS1 than all of the N64’s "good" games.

Anonymous

>But that’s objectively not true
                where is your proof, faggot?

Anonymous

PS1 was the greatest home console of all time. SM64 and OoT are the only games that Nintendo cultists use to pretend that the N64 wasn’t a piece of shit, whereas MGS and FF7 were tiny drops in the bucket that was the PS1’s stellar library. Your comparison doesn’t work because the PS1 shit all over the N64 that generation.

>S-Snoy!
          No, you Nintendo cocksucking faggot. The PS4 was shit for the most part and the PS5 isn’t worth buying. I’m an idort, which means I care about games, not brand loyalty.

Anonymous

>No, SM64 and OoT are not masterpieces
        Most people disagree with you
        >Mario was good for the movement tech but had shit level design, reusage and fucked up camera and friction physics
        The level design was great, camera works fine and is easy to adapt to, reusage wasn’t bad when the objectives were varied and fun. There’s no issue with the friction, the physics are great.

N64 was far better than the WiiU. And having good 4 player multiplayer games back in the day was enough to justify owning it at the time. Even if you were more of a Playstation guy, you still wanted to play Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64.

Is this the thread where Sony cultists pretend Sony’s worst console outside of the PS3 had good games? No, FF7 and Metal Gear Solid are not masterpieces. Metal Gear Solid was good for the movement tech but had shit level design, reusage and fucked up camera and friction physics, and FF7 was just casualized trash. Sony has done some amazing things, but none of them were on the PSX.

>FF7 and Metal Gear Solid are not masterpieces
        Most people disagree with you.

Anonymous

>jarpig
          >masterpiece
          shut the fuck up you’re the reason vidya died

Anonymous

>Most people disagree with you
          Who? Casuals? What they think doesn’t count.

>The level design was great
          No it wasn’t. They were small, kicked out to create the illusion of more content, and frequently got lazy by just having random shit floating around.

Anonymous

>Who? Casuals? What they think doesn’t count.
            Intelligent gamers with experience playing many games.
            >frequently got lazy by just having random shit floating around.
            Random shit floating around is fine in a platformer.

Anonymous

>Intelligent gamers with experience playing many games.
              Those don’t pretend the N64 was good.

>Random shit floating around is fine in a platformer.
              It is not. Good platformers have consistent themes and designs and things that aren’t out of place in the level because the dev needed a platform and couldn’t be fucked to do anything but slap a floating square over a gap.

Anonymous

>Good platformers have consistent themes
                The cancer that killed gaming. Fucking storyfags.

Anonymous

>level design is the same as story cinematic bullshit
                  You are an idiot. Try playing the Mario games on the NES.

>this faggot probably thinks redditknight is the best Metroidvania to exist too.

Learn how to greentext, you zoomer newfaggot. The best metroidvanias are SM and SotN.

Anonymous

Limiting your level design because it needs to fit a "theme" is the gayest shit I’ve ever heard.

Anonymous

get me the Ganker user manual, faggot
                    >i
                    can
                    >green
                    text
                    >however
                    i
                    >want

fuck yourself.

found the journalist

journos jizz themselves over tank controls due to "muh nostalgia" and "easy to pick up"
                    you don’t know what you are talking about, because you are mentally deficient.

Anonymous

Lmao Nintendofags are so desperate to save face they’ll defend Nintendo’s complete lack of care and thought towards design as actually a good thing. There’s nothing stopping you from designing a good level for gameplay, and then building a consistent theme around it, which is what every dev does, except Nintendo who stops there and calls its floating cubes a day because they’ll buy it anyway.

Visual themes are story, now that’s a good one.

Anonymous

What kind of actual fag cares about "visual themes" in platformers?

Anonymous

Nintendo when they give a shit. Seriously, have you never played SMB3? or Mario Sunshine or Odyssey?

Anonymous

>this faggot probably thinks redditknight is the best Metroidvania to exist too.

Anonymous

How do you feel about Super Mario Sunshine? Sounds like it’d be your thing.

Anonymous

>How do you feel about Super Mario Sunshine?
                  Gets a ridiculous amount of hate I don’t understand. Galaxy was the one I didn’t care for at all because of the small planet style levels. Odyssey and Sunshine are the ones I like best.

Anonymous

Most people don’t think about mario 64 or zelda 64, you do though so try speaking and thinking for yourself

Anonymous

>Most people don’t think about mario 64 or zelda 64
            Most serious gamers have given some thought to those games.

Anonymous

Yeah, I’m doing it right now and they’re pretty underwhelming when you remove the nostalgia

Anonymous

Cool I disagree

Anonymous

N64 games aged poorly

simple as

Anonymous

I have no real problems with tank controls 😐

Anonymous

>Snoys become more detached from base reality as the thread progresses
      Sad.

Anonymous

Thus thread is shit.

Anonymous

snoys can’t help themselves.

Anonymous

depends on the game, but overall, yeah

Anonymous

if its good its good, graphics are secondary. honestly, everything beyond like 2010 graphics level is not necessary

Anonymous

low poly games "R" cool

Anonymous

I don’t care if a game is ugly as long as it’s fun, I’m pretty based I know.
      *throws a quenelle at graphicfags"

Anonymous

>anti-n64 schizo thread
      its all so tiring

Anonymous

Both of them look like garbage. That’s why I won’t play a game unless it gets remade with HD assets and most people agree with me.

Anonymous

why are ps1 fags so defensive? relax a bit ya mongs
      ps1 and n64 were both great, n64 had better graphics and a handful of masterpieces, ps1 had tons of good games

Anonymous

>n64 had better graphics

Anonymous

>better graphics
        if you like blurry shit with shit music and no cutscenes lmao, show me something similar to ff7, silent hill, vagrant story or gran turismo on the pretendo 64, I’ll wait lmao

Anonymous

>cutscenes
          I’ll give you music, but I’ll take N64’s in engine cutscenes to PSX’s prerendered cutscenes anyday. That shit put us on the road to the shitshow that is the modern moviegame.

Anonymous

yeah well it was fine on the ps1/ps2 era, it started to go to shit during the ps3.
            Would you rather play spider man on n64 with the shitty pictures slide-show or the great voiced ps1 cutscenes?

Anonymous

I’ve learned to re-appreciate PS1-era graphics, I grew up with them but for a while whenever I looked back on them, I thought they looked like dated dogshit and became unplayable. But at some point I don’t know if it was the nostalgia kicking in or just growing bitter with the evolution of the medium towards more and more casualized soulless corporate marketing assembly-line normieshit with boring visuals, I don’t know maybe there was also this push in indie to make low poly cool again, especially in horror, which is well suited to the genre, the uncanny feeling, short draw distance and ways to hide it like the fog in SH, etc. I really started appreciating the art and style, without caring about the graphics. And if early 3D did age like milk, it was also the era of pre-rendered backgrounds, and I’m absolutely in love with that style, it still keeps more soul and character than any advanced 3D modeling.

And while it’s true that early 3D games are very stiff or awkward by modern standards, the thing that I find so nice about them is how non-standardized they were, nowadays it feels like there’s a single control scheme formula applied for all games across the industry, whereas back then, each game had its own unique ideas, even if not always successful, when you’re re-discovering these games today, the irony is that they’re old games but they feel new, because they’re different. And because they were different, and actually catering to an audience base of players and developed by nerds back then before the suits fully took over, the games had a lot more depth and were a lot more fun, more straight-forward and ‘video-gamey’ whatever that means, less hand-holding, more secrets, etc. you would start a game and be immersed in the gameplay loop right away, instead of endless tutorials and cutscenes.

Anonymous

Low poly and pixel art are to games, what film grain and letterbox blacks bars are to film, what ink and halftones are to comics, what brush strokes are to paintings

Anonymous

Nah, that’s responsive controls and high fps
        MUG GWAFIXX != game

Anonymous

We’re talking about visual traits in a visual medium, like controls and framerates as much as you want, without an image there’s no game

Anonymous

>without an image there’s no game
            No shit, but it doesn’t matter if the game’s on Atari or PS5 if it has good gameplay
            What you’re talking about is closer to art in general (which video games are not, they’re entertainment)

Anonymous

Denying the art of video games just means you don’t belong in this thread, if it bothers you to have visuals in a video-interactive medium discussed, find another thread πŸ™‚

Anonymous

It’s salt dude

Anonymous

the person who made this image has no idea what theyre talking about

Anonymous

care to elaborate

Anonymous

it feels like half of the games on the image are put there randomly and some are put there just to make people mad

Anonymous

They make sense to me, I can see what it’s talking about

Anonymous

but the examples suck

Anonymous

but the examples suck

Here’s the original.

Anonymous

even these examples suck

Anonymous

early 3D aged poorly

Anonymous

yes but i do not give a fuck about poorly aged graphics as long as i can tell what is going on. not even things like the faces in MGS bother me.

Anonymous

>has pong aged poorly?

Anonymous

Games don’t age, even the graphics don’t. Either it has a good artstyle or it doesn’t. Something like Megaman Legends will always look fantastic while something like Mario 64 only looked decent because it was an earlier 3D game, now everyone knows it just has a shitty artstyle.

Anonymous

Mario 64 still looks pretty good tbh

Anonymous

No, it doesn’t, lol. Even other games on the same console look way better, fucking Banjo Kazooie and Tooie both look leagues ahead of SM64.

Anonymous

Um, yeah it does. lol. Cope and seethe over it.

Anonymous

Mario 64’s graphics might be simple, but they still look clean and appealing like they always did.

Anonymous

It’s just basic as hell and boring. I’m not gonna say it’s offensively bad or anything but it really doesn’t fucking do anything special or noteworthy.

Anonymous

I always found the way the flats looked at odds with the 3D. Almost like they’re a slightly different art style or shading technique. Those flower guys pop vibrantly but Mario looks comparatively dull, as do the levels. It mostly looks like programmer art.

Anonymous

>Games don’t age
        oh god its happening again

Anonymous

They all look like shit.

Anonymous

shit low poly looks better than modern realism

Anonymous

>video games age
      reddit opinion

Anonymous

SNES era games aged as shitty

Anonymous

Why are lowpoly girls so sexy?

Anonymous

game when I was 12 good
      game when I was 22 bad

Viewing 60 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.