>hear about this fpga thing that’s better than emulation because it’s a perfect recreation…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard >hear about this fpga thing that’s better than emulation because it’s a perfect recreation…

• This topic has 83 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>hear about this fpga thing that’s better than emulation because it’s a perfect recreation of original hardware or something
      >sounds good, read up about what it can do

>the systems it recreates are basic shit that have been emulated perfectly for years like snes
      >can’t recreate shit that’s hard to emulate like saturn and n64 that have lots of emulation glitches where it would actually be useful
      Yeah, nah, this fpga shit sounds gay as fuck and barely an improvement
      What’s the fucking point if it just plays games we could play with 99.999% accuracy already

Wake me up when it can play every n64 game bug free exactly like the original hardware

Anonymous

It’s still emulation.

Anonymous

Indeed. Analogue straight up lies on their website.
        So then you have retards that bought a 600 dollar NES who are willing to deceive themselves into believing the lie and spread it.

Anonymous

>BUT MUH HEAVY SHINY ALUMINUM TROPHY

Anonymous

>its still emulayshion guys

Anonymous

It is, it’s just hardware level emulation rather than software level.

Anonymous

This topic again…
        You can so deliciously spend ages discussing about this because: Both sides are right!

You could interpret "emulation" in its broadest sense (imitate, reconstruct an original surrounding) and then correctly state that indeed it is still emulation.

Then someone else can use the more specific term and counter that the FPGA when programmed correctly completely in hardware copies the original system, so it NOT emulation in that sense (A host CPU running an emulator simulating the interfaces for the game to connect to as if from its view it was running on a real system and translating them).

What IS true though: The FPGA cannot magically solve the problems of running on not original hardware, it still has to be programmed. And that hardware copy is always just as good as its programmer.

Anonymous

>so it NOT emulation in that sense (A host CPU running an emulator simulating the interfaces for the game to connect to as if from its view it was running on a real system and translating them).
          So….still software emulation then. Right?

>What IS true though: The FPGA cannot magically solve the problems of running on not original hardware, it still has to be programmed
          Then why bother?

Check it out, my dude. You can mod a Wii and hook that sucker up to a CRT and you cannot tell the difference I promise.

Anonymous

Wii is slow and inaccurate as fuck. You can do better.

Anonymous

>Wii is slow and inaccurate as fuck
              Maybe when it was first hacked, but not anymore. There’s no delay, at least not for me running the game without filters or anything extra, just the raw pixel this allowing the CRT shadow mask or whatever type it has to "fill in the blanks" as the developers intended. And there’s no lag because the CRT isn’t trying to upscale the image because it’s dumb.
              As it should be.

Anonymous

I think he’s talking about the emulators available to the Wii. I do know for SNES, it cannot handle anything better than an old version of Snes9x, which is not as good as higan/bsnes, so if you want to really be hardware-accurate for that console, the Wii is not the way to go. It might be able to handle the best NES emulators, though.

Anonymous

>I think he’s talking about the emulators available to the Wii.
                  Of course since that’s the whole point.

>I do know for SNES, it cannot handle anything better than an old version of Snes9x
                  lol You’re behind the times, check its homebrew browser again there’s lots better Wii SNES choices and they fixed everything. Star Fox 2, no matter which ROM, runs perfectly.

Anonymous

Does it run bsnes balanced?

Anonymous

>Does it run bsnes balanced?
                      I don’t know, probably not. What’s balanced?

Anonymous

The version of bsnes that runs everything except one game. I’d say that’s a good lower limit for an emulator box.

Anonymous

>perfectly

If it’s not cycle-accurate, it’s not "perfect." Running a game free of major issues =/= running it perfectly, since there could still be timing discrepancies compared to real hardware due to the lack of CA. I grant it probably doesn’t matter THAT much for the vast majority of cases, least of all to the average non-autist, but the point stands.

And while I was not aware Snes9xGX was now based on version 1.60 of Snes9x, the thing DOES have compatibility issues. Just to highlight a few:

https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/issues/596
                    https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/issues/563
                    https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/issues/561

Mostly edge cases in obscure games, yes, but still. Snes9x is NOT perfect.

Anonymous

Yes but more accurate, less laggy emulation.

Anonymous

>hear about this fpga thing but i, poor and it costs money so i cope

Anonymous

Yes start spending hundreds of dollars on stuff you can do for free and you will become poor as well.

Anonymous

I’ve got new for you kiddo. If you think spending "hundreds of dollars" is going to make you poor you’re already poor. But hey. At least you don’t go around wasting money going out and having fun with girls when you can fuck your sock puppet for free.

Anonymous

>Having fun with girls costs money
            Unlike you I dont fuck hookers

Anonymous

>learning 2 reading comprehension costs money
              Apparently so. The free elementary school you’re attending now is failing miserably at helping you do it.

Anonymous

>hear about coping poorfag
      >post poorfag.png
      >tell him to enjoy his worm

Anonymous

This actually doesn’t make sense since grapes grow on the ground and apples grow on trees. Why isn’t it sour apples.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

f-fucking grapes!

Anonymous

I like how the comic is implying that in 2024, foxes will be posting on Ganker.

Anonymous

It’s obviously not a real fox, it’s a jarpig in a fursuit.

Anonymous

The date’s backwards. That comic was made in 2008, during Ganker’s heyday.

Anonymous

I found an amazing and cheaper alternative to buying an fpga which recreates the original hardware. It’s called buying the original hardware. Best of all it’s bug free and doesn’t support sóycucks

Anonymous

>it’s bug free

Anonymous

Story?

Anonymous

SNES CPUs and PPUs fail relatively often these days.

Anonymous

Ohhhhh

Anonymous

way to casually btfo 1/2 the in denial anons ITT

Anonymous

Good thing new CPU’s and PPU’s can be made using FPGA schematics.

Anonymous

SNES CPUs and PPUs fail relatively often these days.

Ohhhhh

way to casually btfo 1/2 the in denial anons ITT

>tfw bought 4 SNESs off ebay and they all died like 2 months after purchase because of failed CPUs

Anonymous

Now I wonder if mine works. I never play it.

Anonymous

I haven’t owned a SNES for years now and perhaps that’s for the best, I can’t believe there are so many failure reports around nowadays.

Anonymous

FPGAfags are just poorfags in denial, they can’t afford original hardware.

Anonymous

fpga technology will be very important.. 50 years from now, when the old devices will become rarer and many will have stopped working entirely
      nowadays it’s 100% useless because who the fuck doesn’t already have a fucking working snes at home?

Anonymous

Me. I have never owned a console. Ever.

Anonymous

that’s kind of sad, a pc is obviously superior, but some handhelds are pretty comfy when hacked, i probably played on my psp, vita and switch significantly more than i did on my laptops

Anonymous

Also I had pentium 2 when eveyone had moved to core2duo so my PC really wasnt superior at all.

Anonymous

I agree that the technology is fascinating and important, but I don’t think it’s something that every person needs to rush out and buy into it at the moment. If it’s a fun hobby thing for someone, that’s great, but if someone thinks it makes software emulation obsolete, that person is an idiot just trying to justify to themselves why they spent so much money on something.

Anonymous

I personally find it extremely useful today because I can play old systems with original peripherals like light guns via SNAC at a relatively low cost. My whole FPGA setup cost less than I would’ve paid for just the PC Engine I was considering buying.

It’ll take a long time for FPGAs to come out that even have enough logic gates to do shit like N64 and PS2. With the exception of PS1 and Saturn, every other later system has very easy, cheap flash media options. I’m looking forward to the day when I can just put away all my old hardware for good because the MiSTer SiSTer FiSTer 9000 supports everything I’d ever want to play on some fancy new 1000hz screen tech, but until then I’m perfectly happy with most of the available solutions.

>who the fuck doesn’t already have a fucking working snes at home?
        I have one. But I have a cheap clone flashcart, so I can’t play enhancement chip games on it. If I bought a flashcart that could do half the enhancement chip games, it’d cost more than an FPGA. Haven’t even bothered plugging in my SNES since I got it.

Anonymous

>If I bought a flashcart that could do half the enhancement chip games, it’d cost more than an FPGA.
          Flash Carts are FPGA.

Anonymous

Not necessarily – though the ones that support SNES enhancement chips do have one.

Anonymous

Sure, but when I say FPGA here I’m really talking about an FPGA system. Why would you buy a cut-down FPGA that can barely handle a few enhancement chips when you can buy one that can handle the whole system plus all those chips?

Anonymous

>what i ackchyually meant
              yikes
              >why buy a cheap car to drive to work when you could spend millions to have you own private railroad built
              double yikes

Anonymous

Input lag.

Anonymous

fpga fags have the same gearfag consumer mentality as people that buys consoles and games in physical medias, except they are investing into something that is no better than current emulators and can only “emulate accurately with zero to no input lag” consoles that already have the same efficient emulators.

Anonymous

>99.999% accuracy
      as you claim would mean playing the game on a crt at the correct frequency, its pretty difficult to get a pc to do all that without a heap of adapters, it probably cheaper just to get a mister. From what I’ve seen many of the cores are pretty janky but thats not the fault of the fpga.

Anonymous

Fuck off, retarded frog poster.

Anonymous

>emulated perfectly for years like snes
      No

Anonymous

FPGA is good for the future, but right now just buy original hardware. It isn’t like there’s a shortage yet, and most consoles still have cheap options.

Anonymous

How do I buy N64 and games in a third world country? I have never heard anyone talking about it ever. I have never seen one in real life.

Anonymous

The internet?

Anonymous

>>can’t recreate shit that’s hard to emulate like saturn and n64 that have lots of emulation glitches where it would actually be useful
      I agree with this sentiment. There is a Saturn core in the works but apparently an N64 core would be too big for the current FPGAs.

Anonymous

I think the applications for FPGA emulation are quite limited. Software emulators are really quite good these days – and the ones which aren’t good, don’t have alternatives in the FPGA world.
      The main advantages I can see are the ability to use original accessories like light guns or for games where accurate slowdown emulation is important like STGs.

Anonymous

Bruh, N64 emulation is the closest to bug-free it’s ever been. I think there’s a few edge cases on a few mostly obscure games still left to tackle, so I guess we’re not quite there yet by your standards, but the days of having to mix and match emulators, plugins and settings on a per-game basis just to get mostly playable results are long past. Pretty much all you need now is either RetroArch or m64p using the ParaLLEl plugins. The vast majority of games will just work bug-free.

Anonymous

^but aside from that, can anything less than perfect cycle accuracy cause lag? Honest question.

Anonymous

*aren’t we all

Hey, Nintendo if any of your spies are here, please put the Military Madness games on the Switch, pretty please.

Anonymous

no

Anonymous

WHY NOT?! I’m pirating them at the moment, Nintendo. What now?

Anonymous

calling the police on you right now, enjoy prison rape by black man just because you wanted to pirate a game

Anonymous

I’m medically exempt and my doctor said that I need 100mm of Nectaris Military Madness (PS1) a day to be good.
              Retroarch sucks to get going, but it does the job.

Anonymous

>green text story
      >"gay as fuck"
      >"What’s the fucking point"
      >"Wake me up when…"

Your patter is the same every fucking time. At least get some new material.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.