How come JRPGs never have any role playing elements?

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic How come JRPGs never have any role playing elements?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How come jrpgs never have any role playing elements? i don’t think i’ve ever played a jrpg that has anything more then the superficial elements like stats and leveling.

Anonymous

what is the point or roleplaying in a videogame

Anonymous

its called fun

Anonymous

what is fun about pretending to be a character from a game? until games are not extremely realistic simulations, roleplaying will always feel like playing with toys

Anonymous

some people just like creating a character and give them an arc through the plot and side quests of the game. it’s not for everyone though.

Anonymous

giving*

Anonymous

which is still very limiting in any rpg, your character will always be saying the pre-determined lines someone wrote, all these quests are layed out to you and only specific choices will have any effect, if you want to roleplay better play something like the sims or dwarf fortress in adventure mode

Anonymous

Are you some kind of sperg who gets off by making other people’s accountancy papers?

Truth is the Jgames are rarely based on freedom. They always have to follow a storyline, it’s probably a cultural issue since the last era was filled with many duties but not many rights. As opposed to the land of the free which created tabletop RPGs.

Anonymous

Stop being a gently caressing contrarian for three god damn minutes and explain why roleplaying is bad

Sage

Lol you utter retard
            Personally I think most games classed as RPG are nothing more than classes XP and skills

Anonymous

SMT games have alignments that lead to different endings. Does that count?

Anonymous

not really. there aren’t any opportunities to build a personality for your character aside from "do they prefer god or lucifer"

Anonymous

>not really
          the term concedes that the example fits the definition but the arguerer uses an abstraction ladder in attempt to avoid admitting defeat

Anonymous

what

Anonymous

You’re supposed to do what you think that character would do in this situation. But even then there’s not enough of an opportunity to make any particularly game changing choices.

Anonymous

You’re playing the role of Rean Schwarzer, the ashen chevalier
      Not the role of spongebob postin’ yee yee ass haircut manchild

Anonymous

Bump

Anonymous

Because Japs simply copied Wizardry and Ultima.
      They didn’t have a tabletop culture in the 80s.

Anonymous

The only roleplay you can do in Japanese games is in visual novels. Doing it in actual vidya is too much effort. And even WRPGs are realizing that, especially with Trannypunk. Games are getting more linear with limited roleplay and scope

Anonymous

finna take a shit rn

Anonymous

give an update when done

Anonymous

Growlanser wayfarer of time gives you tons of dialogue options though to build YOUR(PC) personality,sadly it doesn’t really affect the story in any way
      Get that PPSSPP emulator and give a try fair warning though the combat is bad

Anonymous

The combat is only bad when you start using magic and realize that the only worthwhile spells can all be pre-cast to make you invincible

Anonymous

Play Tactics Ogre
      Has unironically more C&C than CP2077

Anonymous

I actually like that about JRPGs though, as someone who doesn’t like JRPGs. My ideal RPG would be light on story and roleplaying, as funny an idea as that is.

Anonymous

JRPGs (and even most western RPGs) are just not RPGs in the original meaning of the term. Many early video games that called themselves RPGs and were inspired by fantasy tabletop like D&D only ported concepts like experience, leveling up, HP, etc, without having any real role playing elements. To some degree that’s just because it’s harder to have real role playing in a video game, especially the ones back in the 90s, but either way the term came to be more associated with stats/levelling than role play, which remains true to this day.

Anonymous

what’s a good game if i wanted to start playing JRPG’s?

Anonymous

dark souls

Anonymous

Persona 3, Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest XI, Chrono Trigger.

Anonymous

>JRPG
        >good game
        pick one

Anonymous

before i get hit with a smug anime girl, i gotta ask. what do you find good in a rpg?

Anonymous

i don’t find rpgs good at all, nearly all of them have either terrible gameplay or barely any roleplaying
            they are a a joke of a genre that might be good if any developer actually invests a lot of time to make the player have an extremely large amount of freedom to do things in a fictional world along with having good gameplay systems
            the only thing that came close to that concept was daggerfall (not that it is an amazing game, but at least it tried to do something no other game has since)
            that being said, about the only rpg i’ve liked is fallout and that’s more to do with the setting being interesting than the gameplay or roleplaying being good because i recognize the genre as it is right now is laughably limited

Anonymous

play dwarf fortress in adventure mode if you want freedom

Anonymous

graphics that simplistic make it hard to be immersed unless one is an autist
                i’d rather play stalker than cdda for instance
                either you have a more detailed world with less freedom, or one that look better and has less freedom
                i’ll just wait until there’s one that can look decent or good and have a large amount of freedom
                simply isn’t possible yet

Anonymous

if you want a modern jrpg check out dragon quest xi

Anonymous

shin megami tensei 4

Anonymous

If you don’t mind emulating, then Golden Sun on GBA is a good entry-level JRPG

Alternatively, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is also nice

Anonymous

Because you don’t know what roleplaying elements are.

Anonymous

Because the Japanese don’t actually understand what RPG means. They just started copying stuff like wizardry without realizing that those games were just an early approximation of the P&P experience.

Anonymous

and wizardry was never good because it’s just rng everything
        makes sense why jrpgs are shit tbh

Anonymous

tabletop rpg is also rng everything

Anonymous

Only if your GM is shit

Anonymous

Tabletop RPGs are shit, just admit it and move on, video games do anything they used to do better, and what they do nowadays is little more than a soap opera for misinformed, uncomfortable nerds and hip trendy faggots.

Anonymous

That’s clearly bait. Tabletop RPGs are a dynamic, social experience, where you have complete freedom of expression. Videogames will never be able to compare, except if you are socially inept and have no friends.

Anonymous

>Tabletop RPGs are a dynamic, social experience, where you have complete freedom of expression.
                  And yet that "complete freedom of expression" always makes little more than a soap opera for losers at best, and a shitty sitcom for the mentally deranged at worst. Tabletop RPGs don’t have good gameplay.

Anonymous

>Tabletop RPGs don’t have good gameplay
                    The are called role playing games because they are primarily about role playing. The "gameplay" in the form of grids, dice, etc. is just e vehicle for that. Of course video games have better-developed gameplay/mechanics, but they still have much worse role playing.

Anonymous

i agree, games will never be as good for roleplaying as tabletop rpgs, but they have a lot more potential for game mechanics, that’s why op complaining that jrpgs don’t let you roleplay is kinda dumb

Anonymous

Gameplay is the only thing that matters for any kind of game, video or otherwise. Roleplaying as a concept isn’t fun, it’s gently caressing boring, that’s why only gently caressing weirdos and pseuds enjoy tabletop rpgs. Normal, well adjusted people don’t need to pretend to be other people to socialize, so the argument for tabletop rpgs as a "social experience" flies out the window, people with social lives would much rather play a board game than a tabletop rpg. When the face of your hobby is a bunch of C-List celebrity voice actors sitting around playing out Young and the Restless but with stupid neon-coloured gay goat people and wizards, you know the hobby is dead.

Anonymous

yes but those have a game master to actually make it interesting
              these games don’t have one

that’s why i think computer rpgs are more fun, they don’t have a game master to guide you so everything will be fine, they give you a challenge and you need to find out how to overcome it, but maybe that has something to do with me being an autist

Anonymous

yes but those have a game master to actually make it interesting
            these games don’t have one

Anonymous

JRPGs are based more on the combat aspects of DnD than the character role playing aspects. WRPGs are the opposite.

Anonymous

is that why they have worst combat than wrpgs?

Anonymous

What games have you played? Do not mindlessly complain about something that already exists if you look harder. Why not play an mmo or something if you want to roleplay, dont play jrpgs which are known for having non fluid stories.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.