How long should a game be?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard How long should a game be?

• This topic has 56 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How long should a game be?

Anonymous

50 hours, or I don’t even bother reading the synopsis

Anonymous

Of those 50h, how many are wasted on reading text, watching cutscenes and grinding shit?

Anonymous

50h. I only play Visual Novels.

Anonymous

1 hour per dollar spent.

Anonymous

You realize how fucking insane that value is, right? Movies are $15-$20 and those are 2 hours. Books are cheap as fuck and sometimes give hundreds of hours of content. TV Streaming is also cheap and provides thousands of shows, movies, and cartoons. $1/hr for a video game is absolutely absurd and you are very naïve and juvenile if you think that’s a reasonable way to think about value.

Anonymous

>you are very naïve and juvenile if you think that’s a reasonable way to think about value.
          That’s fine continue getting shit on and ripped off. No I’m not going to argue with you, don’t bother with yet another stupid response.

Anonymous

You are literally in favor of Ubisoft-type formula be the standard for games.

Good luck with your 120 hours of copy-pasted souless AI-built garbage.

Anonymous

Not that anon but I too played Factorio and Rimworld

Anonymous

Not every game is a sandbox.

Anonymous

Not every game is surprisingly shallow and lack variety for their price tags either (but that’s common with indie games, they usually compensate by becoming dirt cheap during sales because barely anyone is buying their overpriced games), the only thing keeping these games popular is the modding support just like Bethesda games.
                  Modding is such a powerful tool it’s not even funny, it almost guarantees long shelf-life because once people get tired of the base game they’ll just customize the game the way they want, and all it takes is enough coding knowledge that people don’t just manage to reverse-engineer the source code through the provided modding tools. It’s like a cheat code for videogame development.

Anonymous

Games cost money, there are over a thousand people behind a single title, it’s a multi-billion dollar industry. Face reality, don’t expect indie prices.

Anonymous

>there are over a thousand people behind a single title
                      That’s AAA games and they’re shit

Anonymous

Of course, you would say that.

Anonymous

How can I not say that?

Anonymous

Being a cynic is rejecting reality.

Anonymous

It’s not cynicism, it’s the truth. If you’re trying to have sex with me this isn’t how you do it.

Anonymous

You realize how fucking insane that value is, right? Movies are $15-$20 and those are 2 hours. Books are cheap as fuck and sometimes give hundreds of hours of content. TV Streaming is also cheap and provides thousands of shows, movies, and cartoons. $1/hr for a video game is absolutely absurd and you are very naïve and juvenile if you think that’s a reasonable way to think about value.

I think you guys are misunderstanding. It doesn’t have to be $x/hr for one playthrough. But over the course of owning the game.

If it takes me 10 hours to beat a game, I still get the value if it’s good enough I want to replay it.

E.g. Alyx was perfect at like ~8 hours and I got another 2 playthroughs out of it doing gnome + other achievements.

Anonymous

This is highly subjective, you didn’t reply Alyx over 2 times because it was necessarily a good game, but because you personally enjoyed it.

Anonymous

>not because it was necessarily a good game, but because you personally enjoyed it
                  i’m sorry anon, how can exactly game be good if you didn’t enjoy it
                  or are you one of those "fun is a buzzword" types?

Anonymous

Games can be good and you can not enjoy them, I don’t have any patience for RPGs or 2D platformers for example.

What I mean was, you replayed that game because YOU personally enjoyed it, it appealed to your personal taste. Fun is not a buzzword but is subjective, I had a ton of fun with Dishonored, I replayed it countless times but not because Dishonored was necessarily a good game, but because it personally appealed to me.

Measuring a game by time spent is ludicrous, it is too subjective.

Anonymous

The fact 2 persons may like 2 different games but dislike the other one should be enough to make it clear "I like =/= good"

Anonymous

1 hour per dollar spent.

Fuck off it should be 1 hour per dime spent and the devs should give the top tier players hookers and blow.

Anonymous

>Movies are $15-$20 and those are 2 hours
          >Books are cheap as fuck and sometimes give hundreds of hours of content
          I pirate those
          >TV Streaming
          LOL

Anonymous

So you’re saying that movies cost somewhere like 4-5 dollars per hour, books are cheap and can costs mere cents per hour, and TV streaming is also very cheap and costs cents per hour, but wanting to get a dollar per hour for video games is crazy? Why is the conclusion not that movies are way overpriced?

Anonymous

>Movies are $15-$20 and those are 2 hours
          Yeah,very overpriced indeed,I hope you guys don’t waste your money like that

Anonymous

>books are cheap as fuck
          If you’re reading anything of value, they’re in the 20-40$ range. If you’re literate, then a 20$, 400 page long book can be read within 4 hours.

Anonymous

Or 0.5 hours per dollar spent if the gameplay is really good, but that’s rarely the case. A lot of developers hope that their players are people with loose wallets, who probably only have to work one or two hours to make enough money to buy the game and don’t see it as a waste of money. spbp

Anonymous

100-200 hours

Anonymous

6.7 x 4.6 x 5.25 inches

Anonymous

if its an RPG like 70ish hours
      if its a platformer 8-12 hours

Anonymous

as long as it needs to be
      I’ve played 2 hour games that overstayed their welcome and 200 hour games that I still wanted more from

Anonymous

if a game isn’t over 100 hours long then it’s not worth my time.

Anonymous

I liked Blue Shift more than the HL base game and OF because it was 4 hours long.

Movie length video games should be normalized, there is too much bloat for the same repetition. Do I really need to play 10 stages of an FPS that are mechanically identical?
      See guy > shoot guy > repeat

Unironically Undertale and Deltarune prove that a game can be more than a single overused mechanic for over 20 hours.

Anonymous

>defending blue shift
        >normalizing movie games
        >see guy > shoot guy > repeat
        >prasing undertale
        How many layers of bait or contrarianism are behind this post?

Anonymous

what does the reddit frog have to do with your post

Anonymous

A symptom of autism is being unable to read emotions.

Anonymous

Not longer than 17 hours.

The shortest game I like is Time Crisis 2 at 15 minutes, the longest game I like is Metal Gear Solid 3 at 16.5 hours.

I have not played one good game longer than 17 hours.

Anonymous

As long as your moms dick

Anonymous

2,000 hours

Anonymous

30 minutes maximum.

Anonymous

20-60 hours.

Anonymous

$60 = 60 hours

Anonymous

20 hours max.
      Most games should be 3 hours or less. I want to finish in one sitting. same goes for books.

Anonymous

Lots of ADHD ridden zoomer troglodytes here

Anonymous

<2hours,so I can play and refund it

Anonymous

why not pirate all the way?

Anonymous

a game should fit in a whole weekend, imagine starting anew game on saturday and finish it on saturday evening, this is terrible.

Anonymous

7/8 hours. Any more is padding.

Anonymous

1-2 hours. Anything more is padding.

Anonymous

If after I click Start on the main menu a game actually happen,it’s lost time and I get angry

Anonymous

10-20 is the sweet spot.

Anonymous

The right time.
      A good game can last 3 hours or can last forever
      Surely it’s also about the price but I would never value it with some stupid formula like Xhours every Xmoney

Anonymous

It depends. Some games are just genuinely short and sweet, like Portal 1, but some games take a while and are enjoyable. like KH, RE, and etc. I think 10-30 hours is a good spot, really nothing more unless I just love the game

Anonymous

Good games are good, doesn’t matter how long they are.

That being said, some games sure don’t outwear their welcome. I just finished Dread in 8 hours doing a ton of fucking around, but everything except the completely trivial levels was great. Boss fights and movement are the best in the series.

Anonymous

5-20 hours everything above and i lose attention

Anonymous

I don’t pay for cheap hoes. 10 good mins is all I ask.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.