How many of you play MH solo? People usually say that its only enjoyable with other people…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard How many of you play MH solo? People usually say that its only enjoyable with other people…

• This topic has 132 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

How many of you play MH solo? People usually say that its only enjoyable with other people…

Anonymous

I played MHW online for a while. I don’t know why I bothered, it’s the most impersonal shit ever, the absolute most you’ll ever get is a wave. Maybe it’s fun with friends, but I don’t have any of those so I wouldn’t know

Anonymous

MHW is the only MH game that is more fun to solo.

Anonymous

It’s very boring and repetitive solo, friends don’t make it better but some people seem to think it does

Anonymous

Sounds like you’re that third wheel friend that just doesn’t make his presence known ever and complains that his friends are "boring".

Anonymous

this

MH games are pure grind garbage on hallway maps. WTF do you people get out of grinding to fight a monster for 30 minutes just so you can MAYBE get the item you so you can fight the next monster for the exact same reason. Just fucken stupid shit

if you enjoy MH games you are a legit NPC

Anonymous

>30 minutes
          Look at this casual.

Anonymous

>fight a monster for 30 minutes

Anonymous

what subreddit did you get your longsword build off of?

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Go back.

Anonymous

>fight a monster for 30 minutes
          What

Anonymous

Just use the mod that lets you buy any item in the game. I bought all the gems I wanted and only farmed monsters for gear.

Anonymous

you only spend close to 30 minuiutes a fight in the first 20 or so hours

till you either, learn the monsters patterns, learn to dodge, and get a stronger weapon

eventually you should be beating every mission sub 15 minutes, others sub 10 minutes

Anonymous

Not only a stronger weapon but also armor and skills to make said weapon do better damage.

Anonymous

upgrading your weapon is more important then armor skills

only go for armor skills endgame
              i prefer to zerg rush missions and get weapon upgrades then i can go back to old missions later to kill monsters faster for the loot to make needed armor skills

Anonymous

Using a greatsword and not having focus is not fun let me tell you that.

Anonymous

im a greatsword main

its faster to attack, dodge, sheath, repeat (preferably on the enemy head) early/midgame, if you got lucky RNG drops then make clownsuits with the skills you want/need as soon as possible obviously

Anonymous

>Focus
                    >Quick sheath
                    >Critical Draw
                    >Weakness exploit
                    Those are the essentials for a greatsword main, yes having miss match armor sets is awful but that’s the price to pay when a set doesn’t have good enough skills at early high rank.

Anonymous

thats endgame setup, your not gonna get all of those in the first 10-20 hours, you might get one of them, maybe lucky to squeeze in a second

im just saying get a better weapon first before relying on armor and skills.

Anonymous

I was getting crushed by the rank 7 investigations, not only they took ages but also were more difficult without proper gear, btw that’s my setup and haven’t beaten negigante yet.

Anonymous

Also the kind of weapon you’re using makes a huge difference. If you’re using bow for example you literally just need to time dodges and hit weak points so it’s pretty straightforward.

Anonymous
            Anonymous

>no mustache

Anonymous

Multi player in world is mostly just people dropping in mid hunt and either beating the shit out of the monster for you or getting themselves killed and ruining the hunt for you. Unless you are actually playing with real friends and have a voice chat set up playing solo is just fine. It’s easier to stay on top of the monster when they aren’t ping ponging around between different targets.

Anonymous

I’m halfway through, completely solo, I’m having a lot of fun. Rise online is an absolute eyesore for example

Anonymous

I did when my friends got filtered and caused me to fail missions over and over

Anonymous

I beat the entire game solo and made sure to not leave a single hunt completed without a single cart.

Then once I finished all that and realised there were zero bragging rights ANYWHERE to having done that, I switched to only playing online with others.

Anonymous

If you beat alatreon and fatalis in solo hunts then you proved yourself to be good, unlike gaijinhunter who had to make a full fatalis set with plunderblade cheese for hours and got carried in group.

Anonymous

Not him but i refused to build any fatty parts until i actually beat him myself. I found out afterwards that 2 players is actually the comfiest way to play this fight. It’s so fucking good

Anonymous

>Not him but i refused to build any fatty parts until i actually beat him myself.

Same, and I had failed the quest so many times I could have made his full set.

Anonymous

>alatreon and fatalis
          Are these 2 considered the hardest in the series? What’s something similarly challenging in GU?

Anonymous

the ex deviants are pretty comparable as long as you aren’t cheesing the shit out of them with valor LS/HBG.
            and I don’t think most people consider 5th gen ala that challenging, he’s really fun but pretty easy to learn and control.

Anonymous

if capcom devs are smart, next MH will be have even more mmo-lite elements, such as titles, cosmetics and achievements that you can show off for completing special stuff

Anonymous

solo is more enjoyable unless you can find people that actually know what they’re doing and don’t die to stupid shit. There are a lot of chokers and people who don’t really try and just get carried for anything mildly challenging

Anonymous

People still play this repetitive grindfest?

Anonymous

solo is fun, playing with a full group of friends is great

Anonymous

I’ve exclusively played MH solo for 14 years now. Every time I try to play online I just get angry at how much less fun it is. It’s clearly how the game is meant to be played; all content is solo-able while only gathering hall quests can be played multiplayer.

Anonymous

Dunno chief I would have liked people to join me so I don’t spend 30 minutes chasing and weakening a high rank rathalos to capture it, In a few words coop makes things faster and benefits everyone.

Anonymous

you’re going to learn how to play better if you play solo and you’ll quickly achieve hunt times faster than 30 minutes. if you’re casually hunting, being moderately good at soloing is more reliable and faster than playing with others.

Anonymous

Both, depending on my mood. I try to solo every monster multiple times, and then do multiplayer when I need to farm since it’s usually faster.

Anonymous

With randoms its a mixed bag, however if i join randoms i just assume its because someone is having a hard time so i dont judge too much
      Solo is enjoyable if you know what you are doing
      If you like boss fights and learning movesets solo is more enjoyable, playing in a group is fun if you have chill friends
      Eventually everyone in your group will need to git gud or you won’t be able to do endgame stuff, so if your group is people who don’t realize they are shitters and tryhard the game but never play solo then its a tickling bomb that will explode once they get to endgame and start saying that its X fault for carting or some shit

Anonymous

The lategame is super unforgiving so most people will say solo is "boring", "not fun", "annoying", etc… Which is codeword that they take 50 min in hunts and die at the end by successive greedy carts, which usually happens when people play multiplayer and get carried for a while by someone who actually plays solo and then when he is gone they have to deal with a much more difficult game for their skills and they get stuck

This is not like Dark Souls or any game with bosses where if you fail you just lose 2-3 minutes, if you fail here you lose a whole hour of progress, imagine most people quit games with bosses if they take more than 5 tries even though the sum of time is like… 15 minutes, imagine how much they quit the game after doing 2 hunts of 40 minutes in which both end by carting with no rewards or anything after playing solo

Anonymous

Completed the whole game up to fatalis and tempered furious george in solo, was really fun
      For some people playing solo is better, for others in group with friends.

Anonymous

I got my fill of multiplayer in the Nintendo games when they had free online. It’s fun but not necessary to be honest

Anonymous

I played solo until I beat the game because I was embarrassed about my playing. That is until I finally did multiplayer and realized solo made me better than the literal retards you sometimes get. Still very fun though

Anonymous

Does Rise on PC have all the content released after release on Switch? Like Bezel.

Anonymous

if it’s like world, we might have to wait for updates. again

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Devs said in previous live on yt that the PC release will have all the updates and shit

Anonymous

That’s pretty good.
          Thanks for beta testing Switch friends, I guess lol.
          I’d like to play with them tho, more players = more rooms = more good

Anonymous

They said unfortunately no crossplay and no cross saves

Anonymous

Solo hunting teaches you to git gud. Classic MH games always had an offline set of "story" quests precisely to get you prepped for the harder multiplayer hub quests, all of which you can still do solo. Playing with friends is really fun, for sure, but that’s true for any game. World is actually easier solo due to the way multiplayer scaling works. Most of the time you get 1-2 hunters playing optimally while the rest are dead weight that add more to the monster’s health than the damage they contribute, which just leads to longer and more tedious hunts than simply playing alone.

Anonymous

It’s enjoyable with people but it’ll be more enjoyable when the Gun Sword from Lost Planet 2 is added as a new weapon class

Anonymous

>tfw you get in a group of random people and just slap the shit out of the monster constantly stunning and knocking it down
      When you play with players who understand the game a bit, it’s very satisfying. Sometimes you go through an entire fight and nobody is wallbanging or using traps or they wake up the monster as it’s falling asleep. It makes a big difference.

I switched to hunting horn a few weeks ago and it might be my new favorite.

Anonymous

post world online is just shit and impersonal. in classic days you would either join a lobby with a specific goal like grinding a specific monster or something or one without a goal that would basically always mean the missions are selected on rotation. you communicate with your teammates what order you play in and how mission failures are handled, if you try again or continue the rotation. you would be doing multiple hunts for hours with the same group of people, eventually switching someone out along the way but you could quickly tell people apart from one another, by their usernames, weapon and armor or just playstyle and adapt accordingly. hunts felt way more personal that way. in world youre just forced to sit in a 16 player lobby wether its full or just you is a different concern and everyone would be doing their own thing. you start a quest, do SOS, some people would join in the middle of the quest, kill the monster, leave and repeat. you dont remember any players or anything, no interaction with your mates whatsoever. or you are the one joining someones SOS and then its the same thing from another perspective. really, the most personal classic-like online experience i had with world was when i played arena missions for the guild armor. I joined a specific arena labeled lobby and because so few people still play arena nowadays i can honestly see them removing the arena entirely in a future game the lobby was nearly empty every time i went there. arena can only be played with 2 people max and the later ones are designed with 2 people in mind so youll have to find a partner. found someone that didnt have anyone to play with, i joined his mission, we finished it and without any communication whatsoever, we both understood the rotation structure of classic and i selected a mission next, he joined, finished, then he selected the next, rinse and repeat. you dont get that post world any other way.

Anonymous

that’s just the nature of internet nowadays, mmo also had that change and other genres too
        >community servers dying
        >matchmaking
        >discord
        its the same on any game really, pretty impersonal even in actual pure coop games

Anonymous

this 100%
        i played every game up to world and quit at behemoth, 3 days trying and not a single group would stay alive, i learned its pattern in 3 fights, THREE
        i was playing 12 hours + everyday in those 3 days
        didnt bother getting iceborne and dealing with faggots again
        the game has been ruined by casuals

Anonymous

>i was playing 12 hours + everyday in those 3 days
          tbf most people don’t have that kind of time on their hands unless they’re retirees or children

Anonymous

you don’t need that amount of time, you just have to know how to fucking play and not die
            i dont care if we take almost the full amount of time a mission takes, all that matters is beating it

Anonymous

I really want to experience that. I started with 3U, but played solo 98% of that time (4U and World as well).
        My buddy plays MH as well, but he’s not that into it, so we just play every few months for an evening.

this 100%
        i played every game up to world and quit at behemoth, 3 days trying and not a single group would stay alive, i learned its pattern in 3 fights, THREE
        i was playing 12 hours + everyday in those 3 days
        didnt bother getting iceborne and dealing with faggots again
        the game has been ruined by casuals

Yeah, the world lobby system sucks. How is it in rise?

>i was playing 12 hours + everyday in those 3 days
        tbf most people don’t have that kind of time on their hands unless they’re retirees or children

This is also what companies focus on nowadays, get in quick and out at the same pace, because nobody has the time to sit down for four hours or longer anymore.

you don’t need that amount of time, you just have to know how to fucking play and not die
        i dont care if we take almost the full amount of time a mission takes, all that matters is beating it

That always has been the rule, no matter how bad you are, just don’t cart and it’s good.

Anonymous

>How is it in rise?
          Not very good

Anonymous

dont know like i said i quit MH and i wont buy a switch to try rise since you need to pay to play online on nintendo now, fuck that
          im done with nintendo, they barely have any game worth buying a console for anymore

Anonymous

Well, you could get it on steam in january.

>How is it in rise?
            Not very good

Seems to be comparable to the old system, with the exception that you can do story stuff as well.

Anonymous

dont have a decent graphics card card anymore, and i will only torrent pc games when i get a proper graphics card eventually

but theres no point in playing rise unless i can play it online and i doubt i can do that on a cracked version

Anonymous

Solo 4U was the most fun I’ve had with a 3D game ever.

Anonymous

I found it more engaging solo. I didn’t even like bringing cats either since they end up agrroing the monster away making you chase around the target more then necessary. But i mean sometimes multiplayer can be fun though but only for later game stuff or when you need to farm. I haven’t played in a while but I remember back when Golden Pickle was a thing i would have some good laughs using my Zorah gunlance build, blasting away while watching other niggas get stomped.

Anonymous

>gunlance
        fellow gun chad

Anonymous

I pretty much only play solo, I hated that the Kulve and Safi weapons were basically locked behind multiplayer missions

Anonymous

Well people can join your quest, investigation, etc at any time since you post it on the board, Unless you play completely offline which I wouldn’t do cause responding to SOS flares and joining investigations is fun and not also helps with the grind but you also get rewarded for helping other hunters.

Anonymous

I like both and I play both, in the old games you didn’t have the choice anyway, you had to solo the story.

Anonymous

I beat all the MHW monsters (before iceborne) solo first to make sure I learned the fight correctly. Then I played with groups to make it go faster. I’m a pretty casual player so I didn’t want to drag my team down by carting over and over.

Anonymous

Much prefer mh solo, didnt like all the MMO stuff in world

Anonymous

I beat world and iceborne solo, did every hunt solo at least once (beat alatreon solo but still haven’t beaten fatty)
      it’s perfectly fun like that. If you think it isn’t, it’s probably because the actual gameplay loop doesn’t grasp you as much as you think it does and you actually just enjoy shooting the shit with friends while playing it in the background
      after I finished world, I got a few friends to get into it and had a huge amount of fun playing through the game again with them, and then did the same with iceborne

Anonymous

>beat iceborne
        >havn’t beaten fatty
        go bet fatty

Anonymous

when I got to the one minute left mark and had only got him to 70% I decided to call it quits for the day and then just never got back to it
          hitting his head seems like a nightmare too

Anonymous

It may sound like cheating but get heavy artillery 2 and use the canons and roaming ballista. If you shoot him with the canons 7 times I think it topples him and each canon ball can do 500 damage. So all three canons shooting him is 6500 damage Roaming ballista to can do 7000 damage twice. So that’s a large chunk of his health just by using the artillery around the field.

Not him but who is fatty?

ur mum eggs dee

Anonymous

>hitting his head seems like a nightmare too
            This is why you go unga bunga

Anonymous

Not him but who is fatty?

Anonymous

ur mom

Anonymous
              Anonymous
      Anonymous

I played it online on PS4 which was fun. I played it solo only on PC with mods which was also fun. I’m not paying for the same game twice.

Anonymous

I play solo. The games are made for solo or 2-player play.
      Anything more and it feels like you’re just spamming buttons an HP sponge, since the AI can’t focus on one player so it feels like a clusterfuck.

Anonymous

Solo or rarely with a friend. I find it more enjoyable by myself since I’m the only one I have to rely on to break the parts I want.

Anonymous

MH used to be enjoyable without other people but now the combat is too bloated and shallow.
      Helping clueless newbies is my only source of fun in this dead (to me) series.

Anonymous

I hate World’s multiplayer. 3U/4U was perfect. I just play solo now.

Anonymous

I only play solo. The people you’re referring too are huge normalfags.

Anonymous

You think you are special cause you don’t help other people and want double the grind.

Anonymous

Played 3U maybe 500 hours solo
      4U 300, G 150, XX 100. It was fun, some hunts are obviously scaled to being with others. I would have kept up with the series if XX had come out on 3DS in the West but have since moved on.
      >tl;dr: if you need other people to enjoy a game, you’re doing it wrong

Anonymous

Only shitters say its fun only with others. As with everything, obviously if you have people you care to do things with its better with them, but what’ll hinge on you enjoying Monhun solo is how much you enjoy learning ai patterns and how rewarding that feels to you.

Anonymous

Tried the Rise demo today, I’ll probably play it but you can’t deny it’s a downgrade from World and what the fuck did they do to the Hunting Horn?

Anonymous

>Monster Hunter 5 Portable is a downgrade from Monster Hunter 5
        In what way besides graphics?

Anonymous

All weapons I tried were missing a move or two
          The UI is uglier than in fucking frontier
          The Animations are stiffer
          The Loading times weirdly higher

Anonymous

Maybe you tried the shitty easy boss?
            The intermediate boss forces you to use the wirebug and it becomes much more fun
            I had the same impression while going with the mini glavenus little shit on easy, but then i tried intermediate and hard and it was surprisingly fun, there are lots of moves that force you to use the wirebug on creative ways

Anonymous

It’s fun either way. The older games were harder to solo because the hub fights are all balanced around more then 1 person, where as World and Rise have dynamic scaling that makes it not really matter if you solo or not, because the monsters will always be balanced based on how many people are in the hunt.

Anonymous

I played online with friends and randoms when it first came out but I play mostly solo now if I want to play it. It’s just a different game solo, more challenging and more intense. Multiplayer is much easier and laid back for the most part because even if you’re clueless it’s likely the rest of your team are veteran players.

Anonymous

I played solo all the way up to the end bosses only doing a few online hunts here and there to help bros.

Anonymous

I play MHGU solo cuz i don’t have the money to pay NSO right now.

Anonymous

I’ve been playing solo since the alatreon urgent in tri
      Only playing with others when it’s some ridiculously hard quest like extreme behemoth or ancient leshen
      Playing with others can be enjoyable but good luck finding decent randoms

Anonymous

i like to solo the story or every monster at least once as i prefer going at my own pace and like to gauge my own ability. i will play multiplayer for farming or just a casual hunt though.

Anonymous

Any hunting horn mains here? I wanna see your tits.k4djg

Anonymous

solochad here

Anonymous

I’ve been playing alone since FU. Did a behemoth once, carted at meteor because of the angle and failed the hunt. Other than that, played world with my best friend and it was great because we would laugh at anything

Anonymous

Beat mhw base game solo. Didn’t play iceborne. Got bout quarter of the way through generations on switch solo and then rise came out …and beat that solo. *Shrugs* it’s pretty enjoyable alone.

Anonymous

I miss some of the switch skills

Anonymous

How do i do that spinning HH in MH rise?

Anonymous

While I personally like going solo, I also don’t mind playing with others either. It can be just as, if not more fun than hunting alone.
      I usually get very nervous when playing with randos online so I rarely did it back in 3U.
      One day though, I decided to join a random lobby just out of curiosity. To my dismay, the people there were using VC and having actual conversations and shit, which made my neet-ass almost shit myself. I decided to stick around though since not only were they incredibly friendly and chill, they also helped me a lot with hunting and stuff.
      It was one of the best moments I’ve had in a game honestly.
      I was pretty excited with lobbies returning in Rise but it’s not really the same thing. There’s no VC, and nobody seems to know you can use a keyboard on the Switch so nobody talks either.
      It feels very empty sometimes, but I guess it’s just how things are nowadays…

Anonymous

Played the storyline all the way through solo, and beat all optional monsters solo first (except KT, Behemoth, Ancient Leshen, and Safi).
        Playing with randumbs or friends is mostly just for shit and giggles

>he didn’t experienced a 10-full lobby in World where people chat, help each others’ quest, and goof around in the Seliana hotspring

Anonymous

>10-full lobby
          Goddamn. I literally didn’t.
          That sounds like a lot of fun. Even if I’d probably just be silent all the time lol.

Anonymous

I think it only happened once Iceborne drops though since the Gathering Hub is much more convenient. Then again I almost never set foot on Astera Hub except for 3 KT runs where I luckily got the Bomber GL then never attempted the Siege again

Anonymous

beat it yday on 2nd try. about 5 traps, ten mega barrels, 3 rides, 2 turf wars and three wall / monster collisions. defender gs +5. not sure i want to continue if everything else is this retardedly tanky.
      there was Zero satisfaction by the end, just pure rage and annoyance at how dogshit this tigrex fight was.
      that he threeshots me on max ice res and best available at the time armor i can deal with, the fucktarded hp pool is pure cancer. all his fucking shit was broken like 20min into that mess, yet he just kept on fucking going.

Anonymous

>threeshots me
        how are you not used to being one- or two-shot by everything in MH yet? that is plenty of room to recover
        >max ice res
        so you have no idea how the game works

Anonymous

as i said, the damage i can live with – been playing this shit since psp, but not the retarded hp pool. cant say i ever had enough autism to last me through the second half of g rank.

Anonymous

in case you’re able to swallow your pride and keep playing:
            stop wasting slots/food skills on ice res it will do nothing
            if you care about being blighted use one gem slot on resuscitate, use the rest on damage or qol skills as you see fit
            I remember taking about 20-ish minutes for my first 5th gen barioth fight and I complained THAT was too long. you are probably doing something else horribly wrong

Anonymous

my ice res is simply from two gems. food is 90% of the time L attack. flinch free 1 and resuscitate are on second page.

Anonymous

dude this set fucking sucks
                i’m all for nonstandard sets but all the games after GU are very much balanced around the wex+crit boost synergy
                5 levels of earplugs on what is basically a very very early g rank set is simply awful and a massive waste of room. you see a roar coming, you tackle. if you’re in neutral, you guard, kick, tackle, then followup
                drop your earplugs, ice res, def boost, water res, windproof (1 level?)
                slot in health boost 3, FOCUS (this is absolutely necessary, why are you playing gs without it???), wex, and crit boost if you can possibly fit any of it (both of those take priority over atk boost and critical eye)
                evade extender/evade window are excellent qol skills for keeping up with monsters
                I know your setbuilding options are dogshit right now but that’s just a general outline of what you would probably want. i seriously can’t believe you’re fucking playing gs without focus, the fuck dude

Anonymous

i need earplugs because i am Still not used to the fucking hyperarmor. whenever i try to focus on remembering that i now can tackle through shit im taken out of the flow and fuck up. the old ways are simply in my bonemarrow.
                  havent read any guides beyond checking vulnerabilities on wikies. ice res is simply because i dont have better decorations yet, not like i can meld anything reasonable.
                  focus i have never used before, seeing what it does i will obviously get it asap.
                  thanks for the pointers.

Anonymous

well im glad you’re still gonna play the game, that’s all I was hoping for

Anonymous

I can play alone just fine and have, but one of the main draws of the series for me is playing it with specific people.

Anonymous

played through world with a few friends and it was great, one was filtered by iceborne so it’s just two of us now. I can feel us becoming burnt out though.

Anonymous

>never learned how to use their weapon
      >always confused/ignored mechanics
      >complained about the story being trash after ignoring it just to ask about the purpose of the hunts
      >had to be dragged to play their "free" game (it came with the PS5)
      >said the game is a grind when they didn’t even get to high rank

Why the fuck would I want to play with my retarded friends? Some were cool and liked it, but others were filtered so hard they had to come up with excuses. Just accept you suck at the game and move on

Anonymous

I played both World+Iceborne and Rise fully solo
      I do play online sometimes, mainly with friends who I can talk with while on the hunt.

But generally speaking I prefer to hunt solo

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.