I’m 18. I feel like I have unironically grown out of video games. Is this natural or is somethi…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard I’m 18. I feel like I have unironically grown out of video games. Is this natural or is somethi…

• This topic has 83 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I’m 18. I feel like I have unironically grown out of video games. Is this natural or is something wrong with me? It hurts. And it hurts seeing older people than me able to have fun playing video games

Something broke. It’s like I started to recognize that these virtual worlds are completely meaningless. It’s like my reward system understood that it’s been getting tricked the whole time, by just a few buttons. Ugh

Anonymous

Turn off your router and start playing a new game. One that you have absolutely no knowledge of. Don’t turn your internet back on until you’ve seen the credits. You now enjoy video games again.

Anonymous

It’s literally just a fucking hobby. You want to play ball or do indoor climbing, whatever, go do that.

Anonymous

It’s not just a hobby, it used to be good escapism but now I just see the futility of it

Anonymous

It’s literally fine to stop games.

Anonymous

Its just a fucking hobby. Unless you’re a full-time developer I guess.

Anonymous

Life itself is a constant cope/search for escapism, the earlier you understand this the better.

Anonymous

Then you’re probably playing shit games. Or the problems you are facing in life are too great to be drowned out like that. Either way the problem is in you.

Anonymous

That’s a cute giraffe anon. Mind if I save that picture?

Anonymous

Save it all you want, my friend.

Anonymous

Thanks fren.

Anonymous

OP here. I hate the fact that in all honesty there’s no competition to AAA games. All alternatives are most often indie pixelshit or JRPG-likes. it’s so tiring. how is that supposed to be an alternative?

Anonymous

Try playing something older, like Serious Sam or Stronghold. Old games are often weird and clumsy when compared to modern ones, but they also have charm and purity of their time.

Anonymous

is this what I sounded like when I was younger?
          jesus fucking christ

Anonymous

>It’s not just a hobby, it used to be good escapism
          So yeah it was a hobby…

Anonymous

Its just a fucking hobby. Unless you’re a full-time developer I guess.

Get a better hobby fag, prefferably something creative like drawing or writing or composing, you can always boot up and play videogames later when you once again feel like it, imagine thinking you should dedicate your life to this shit.
        Also underage b&.

>sòydeogames
        >hobby
        lmaoing at your life

Anonymous

>18
      >complaining about being too old for anything
      Just become a stoner dropout already. You seem to be reaching for an excuse.

Anonymous

>22
        >didn’t become a stoner dropout
        >became a regular dropout instead
        I may be a failure, but thank god I haven’t gone full DUDE yet.

Anonymous

No, it’s just that at your age you become an introspective pseudo-philosophical retard. You’ll grow out of that stage in a few years.

Anonymous

You are an actual toddler. You must be 35+ to post here.

Anonymous

What a faggot lol

Anonymous

I’m 28 and haven’t played vidya in a decade or so
      >inb4 why are you here
      you are here forever

Anonymous

>>inb4 why are you here
        >you are here forever
        That saying implies this site, not Ganker specifically. Why would you be on this board if you don’t game?

Anonymous

>Why would you be on this board if you don’t game?
          Anon…

Anonymous

>he thinks that anons here play videogames

Anonymous

Try it out a little longer to see if you still feel that way.

If you’ve truly grown out of the hobby, then this would be a perfect time to try another one. Is there anything else you’re good at, or something you’ve looked at and thought "Huh, maybe I could try that"?

Anonymous

>Ugh
      You’re a faggot, that’s what’s wrong with you. You’re also 18, so you’re a double-faggot.

Anonymous

Get a better hobby fag, prefferably something creative like drawing or writing or composing, you can always boot up and play videogames later when you once again feel like it, imagine thinking you should dedicate your life to this shit.
      Also underage b&.

Anonymous

youre depressed

Anonymous

>18
      MOOOOOOOOOODDDS

Anonymous

You’ll be back in a week kid.

Anonymous

Happened to me when I got hit with severe depression and breakdown. It wasn’t just video games either, it felt like I peeled off a layer of reality. Before I would pay attention to small like the way sunlight falls on a particular tree and its evening shadow etc. and it all felt like it had meaning. After that something broke and I was only able to perceive hard and cold objects by themselves, as if my mental desktop shortcuts were disarranged, it was hard to explain. And it was hard to find any joy and meaning in vidya because of it, and my imagination was also hit, even though it was vivid before. Even more strangely, I felt like I suddenly lost some of my autistic quirks or small obsessions. However, after 3 or 4 years I’ve been feeling like it’s all been slowly coming back to me, like a warm blanket of autism around my psyche, so I at least know it’s reversible now.

Anonymous

godspeed ahead anon. May your days be filled with autism forever more.

Anonymous

I know exactly how you feel anon — I’m 26 and I feel like my daily experience used to be so vivid but not so much now, don’t know if it’s depression or just growing up. I feel like I used to be more afraid, too, so maybe it’s just getting used to life more.

Anonymous

Be happy Nintendo isn’t robbing you.

Anonymous

>Im 18
      >I think I’ve "grown out"
      have a nice day.

Anonymous

>18
      >grown out of video games
      the path to being a normie

Anonymous

I was big into gaming as a kid and had a hiatus between ages 18-29 eventually got back into it. A similar thing happened with another hobby. It’s OK to fuckoff for a while. if you truly love it you’ll be back.

Anonymous

Thats fine, I grew out of videogames at 10, and by 18 I grew out of posting in Ganker, you are almost there

Anonymous

PUTA
      U
      T
      A

Anonymous

happened to me but i realised theres nothing else for me to do

Anonymous

Now you need to go and make some money, and nthen you will realize money is utterly garbage garden gnome bullshit and you will come back to playing video games

Anonymous

Get another hobby

Anonymous

GET

Anonymous

DOWN

Anonymous

sauce

Anonymous

P U T A
      U
      T
      A

Anonymous

>I’m 18. I feel like I have unironically grown out of video games.
      You’re a literal fucking teenager. You haven’t grown, let alone out of video games.

Anonymous

>virtual worlds are completely meaningless
      i hate this stupid meme, nothing has meaning in this world , not money, not fame, not love
      if you hate vidya now because its """""""""meaningless""""""""" you might as well go have a nice day right now because you will never find """""""""""""meaning""""""""""""" however hard you look

Anonymous

Meaning exists, but it’s true that you have to find it first, or maybe tune yourself into it, in the real world too. If you do that, you will realize that every encounter with new information or experience is meaningful, doesn’t mean if it was IRL or through a screen, it left impact on you either way.

Anonymous

underage b&

Anonymous

Maybe you’ve just grown out of Minecraft, battle royales, and shlooters, Zoomer.

Anonymous

nah i used to play m&b warband as a kid, bamham asylum, gta sa, oblivion, skyrim, eu4, tw3. when i started growing up i took up dark souls and MGS. i liked re7 and re2make. i know my taste is very basic but more obscure games are usually no fun at all, and that’s why they stay obscure i guess

it’s actually funny because in every other department like music or film or theater i’m very elitist but when it comes to games i’m a total basic bitch

Anonymous

PUTA

Anonymous

Everybody goes through phases. I’m 29 and have been periodically losing interest and then finding interest in games since I was about 16. Give it a couple months, maybe a year, something will grab your attention.

Anonymous

play better games

Anonymous

41 and still love vidya. Something is wrong with you and that something is you are a normie piece of shit.

Anonymous

>41 and still love vidya
        41%?

Anonymous

Damn all grown up. Time to grow a moustache and wear a suit and work in a bank and stuff.

Anonymous

games just suck now

Anonymous

You’ve burn out your dopamine receptors.

Stop playing video games as much. Take a break, come back later and just like any other hobby it’ll be more fun when you are less burnt out on them.

Anonymous

you’ll stop caring one day and you’ll be happier

Anonymous

>cryingwojakwithsmugmask.gif

Anonymous

when you’re young everything feels significant, but then you get old and the burn wears off. you’ll wonder why you were so stupid or even cared.

Anonymous

this is a bad thing?

Anonymous

Play games genres you dont play.

Anonymous

Friend of mine was going through the exact same shit. I told him to play Ghost Trick and it literally saved him from giving up on video games.
      Maybe you should play it too

Anonymous

Lol Loser

Anonymous

I been there before when I had my moments of babby’s first philosophy. Screenshot your post or write your thoughts down somewhere. Trust me. Come back in a MINIMUM of 7 years when you are 25 and you will roll your eyes. I felt like I achieved full clarity and wisdom of everything in the world at the time but I was dead wrong.

Anonymous

This.
        Now I need to keep myself from thinking about what I’d done back then if I wasn’t a fucking retarded 18 year old that thinks he knows shit like every other 18 year old.

Anonymous

Games are just a way to kill time and keep your brain from overthinking
      They are not productive in any way and quitting them is fine. Just like its fine to quit doing drugs, watching sports and wasting time in social media

Anonymous

define "productive"

Anonymous

Learning skills, gaining culture or new points of views…
          Games are just anesthetizing (I like them that way tho)

Anonymous

yeah bro i cant wait to gain all the culture floating around or gain new points of views by doing what exactly

Anonymous

Reading books (classics and essays not the last Brandon Sanderson crap), learning to play an instrument, drawing…
              Socializing also helps since as social animals thats how we can fulfill our roles in life (friends-couple-family)
              Not like I follow my own advice mind you

Anonymous

socializing is cool but it wears me down since im mildly autistic and have to watch not to slip all the time
                also i have no car so its a pain in the ass to get around

Anonymous

>Not like I follow my own advice mind you
                Maybe if you did you’d realize that it’s all a load of crockshit. Classics are a good read and some of them deserve the fame but it’s not going to rock your world any more than any other form of media, including video games. Social interactions are 90% trite nonsense where you just regurgitate the same mundane crap and get same crap regurgitated back on you in between discussing what to have for dinner. Try anything more than that and you’ll get treated like the group’s creep. This is especially true if you try to pursue any form of intellectual clique because people there are somehow even more superficial and fake and just want to keep repeating the same talking points forever to feel good about themselves. Playing an instrument or drawing works only if you actually enjoy it, which very few people do. You can’t just throw "learn to play flute, dude, it’ll fix you right up" as general catch-all advice. People will just fucking hate you for it.

Anonymous

I am 27 and I still play video games daily. Had an existential breakdown shortly after I turned 26 and lost pretty much all interest in doing anything, but I was back to enjoying stuff within a few months.

Going on walks helped.

Anonymous

arent games super normie now

Anonymous

You haven’t grown out of shit, you are still a child. What you want or don’t want will continue to change

Anonymous

im 20 in lawschool but still want to play vidya, i would rather do this than just browse instagram when i get home
      i tried the super strict routine bullshit a year ago and it just backfired on me getting depressed

Anonymous

you thinking that you need to be productive above all is the biggest lie youve been told
      it will wear you down in uni and later life

Anonymous

>these virtual worlds are completely meaningless
      >reward system understood that it’s been getting tricked
      I find it hard to enjoy grindy singeplayer games for this reason, but I still enjoy many other kinds of game:
      >story-heavy games
      Good storytelling never feels meaningless.
      >games with great atmosphere/worldbuilding/naturalistic level design
      I can’t get bored exploring a Deus Ex map, there’s so much interesting stuff to find.
      >roguelites
      I get filtered by actual rogueLIKES, but lites like Spelunky and Noita are perfect. Procedural generations gives a taste of genuine exploration/discovery/adventure- even the devs don’t know exactly what the next area will hold, and there’s sometimes no guarantee it’s even winnable.
      >some multiplayer games
      You wouldn’t consider a round of paintball to be pointless, and neither is a game of CSGO or PUBG.

Anonymous

I’m 28 and still enjoy games, stop playing trash.
      Get fucked zoomer.

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.