Is the difficulty of this game overrated? Other than the Matador fight, nothing has come close. And …

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Is the difficulty of this game overrated? Other than the Matador fight, nothing has come close. And …

• This topic has 70 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Is the difficulty of this game overrated? Other than the Matador fight, nothing has come close. And even then all you need for the fight is Sakukaja. Still a great game, but it feels like Persona 3 is harder right now.

Anonymous

It’s a meme. Back then people were used to debuffs being fucking useless against bosses, where in SMT they are king.

Anonymous

This is really the basic gist.
        I’m a huge fan but SMT ain’t hard, people just wanna go full attack like most other JRPGs and don’t realize buffs and debuffs are super useful in the series.

Anonymous

It’s overrated, yes. It’s plain kiddy shit compared to EO, SaGa, Uncharted Waters, Lunatic Dawn, GoS, Labyrinth of Touhou, Elminage, etc.

Anonymous

The number of people who have played anything beyond EO and SaGa on that list is in the double digits.

Anonymous

>Elminage
        this looks interesting, which is the hardest one?

Anonymous

I got BTFO by Mot and Ongyo-Ki as wel

Anonymous

>Ongyo-Ki
        What, the guy who duplicates himself? He literally does nothing but buffs himself while you wail on him. Strange fight really.

Anonymous

It’s easy once you notice only the real one casts a shadow.

Anonymous

I think you had to fight him on a full moon to see his shadow. I didn’t so I could never tell who was the real one.

Anonymous

Ah! I had no idea. I think I waited for full moon because I had Bright Might. Guess I made it super easy for myself unknowingly.

Anonymous

Does the game ever hint that? I had to look it up cause he was kicking my ass.

Anonymous

Gotta understand that during its time it was played by children with no access to guides

I got stuck on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon as a kid and used magazines to walkthrough it. Kids are shit at games.
      If you’re an adult with access to the internet, yeah, it’s gonna be easy.

Anonymous

>Gotta understand that during its time it was played by children with no access to guides

I beat Morrowind without guides or internet and did fine. P1 as well. I think most people are just bitches in general.

Bitch

Anonymous

>Gotta understand that during its time it was played by children with no access to guides
        Motherfucker GAMEFAQs was a thing for nearly a decade before SMT3 game out.
        Fuck off.

Anonymous

Told you

The game is broken, sluggish and not nealy as fun. It’s the gateway to SMT so a lot of absolute faggots that only played 3 think it’s the best thing ever when it’s almost as bad as 1-2, hell i’d say it’s worse cause at least 1-2 have good music

Anonymous

>at least 1-2 have good music
        what? 3 is atmospherically kino

Anonymous

Dss have better atmosphere and I said music not background noises

Anonymous

I hate Persona hard difficulty
      >you are always out of SP (not a real problem in 3)
      >random enemies can easily defeat if you screwed up encounter and their turn is first

Anonymous

It’s less that it’s punishingly difficult and more that it actively tries to casual filter you every few moments so you know the games mechanics. A lot of games you can get through without actually knowing how to play because the hard stuff is saved for post game.

Anonymous

Is remaster good way to play this?

Anonymous

i’ve heard it’s practically a mod of the ps2 version so not really

Anonymous

There are no real improvements over the PS2 version besides having a functional Raidou option

Anonymous

Fusing shit lets you choose skills now.

Anonymous

oh yeah, there is that
            backing out and scrolling back into your desired fusion to reroll skills lost its novelty very quickly

Anonymous

Voice acting is also good but other than that it was a lazy port.

Don’t care
              It’s for casuals.

Nobody cares if you care. It is an improvement and only autists want to reroll.

Anonymous

Don’t care
            It’s for casuals.

Anonymous

It really doesn’t make that much of a difference. As long as you get a few key skills when fusing, the rest of them don’t matter much.

Anonymous

The ability to reroll the old way is still there for absolute retards like you, they even added a shuffle button as an additional way to play with the old method more conveniently as well. HD version is an objective improvement anyway you look at it, now go cope, seethe and dilate.

Anonymous

Yeah it gives you manual skill inheritance. Also the voice acting is nice.

Anonymous

>Is the difficulty of this game overrated?
      Yes it’s astroturfed by meme youtube videos

Anonymous

Yea as you said, if you have hit/evade buffs its pretty easy. So much so it’s been nerfed in every mainline game afterward.

Did Nocturne have the Level affecting hit/avoid thing like SMT4 and 4A?

Anonymous

Idk man, i got filtered by naraka in SMT IV compared to matador. It wasnt until much later that I wanted to go back to IV. Maybe it was because IV was my first SMT but ill never know.

Anonymous

3 is wrong way to start SMT series.
      You should start with first game on NES

Anonymous

Jesus, at least tell him to play the Kyuuyaku version. The NES version of MT1 is a nightmare.

Anonymous

the real "difficulty" is your MC getting bingo’d by some stupid bullshit in random encounters and losing a bunch of progress. this was fixed in later SMTs with field saves

Anonymous

letting you change the difficulty at any time killed discussion of this game.

Anonymous

Thankfully SMTV fixes this issue by not letting you go back to hard difficulty on that save file if you lower it in the middle of a playthrough.

Anonymous

>play apocalypse
          >hard difficulty
          >want to fusion autism
          >put difficulty to easy
          >prices are super low
          >fuse autism
          >go back to hard
          glad they removed this loophole. based etrian Odyssey director

Anonymous

>im glad they’re incentivizing the purchase of currency DLC wow thanks etrian odyssey director
            how about you celebrate fixing the dogshit game design of increasing compendium prices for no reason at higher difficulties instead?

Anonymous

It’s not the hardest JRPG ever, but it’s still pretty decently challenging throughout. There are several battles that will fuck you up if you’re not understanding the mechanics, and you always have to take care to cover your weaknesses or randos can totally wipe you out.

Anonymous

>you miss once, you die
      >enemy crits once, you die
      >difficult bosses
      >no real options to grind
      It’s hardest jrpg out there, but if you read guides and get a good comp it’s not hard, although you will still die to rng.

Anonymous

only ppl that die to "rng" are people with shit teams

Anonymous

Not true since enemies will outspeed you sometimes and kill you in one turn irrelevant of your team.

Anonymous

A balanced team will either repel or shrug off enemy attacks. Git gud.

Anonymous

Too bad if MC dies it’s gg

Anonymous

None of the SMT games are hard, unless you count stupid random bullshit like BEHOLD MY DEMONS as "difficulty".

Anonymous

I don’t know man, after spending nearly 3 hours trying to down Shekinah in SMT Strange Journey Redux, I kinda feel a bit differently. SMT games are almost all manageable so long as you’re not ignoring game mechanics, but some entries just have some truly fucked encounters/bosses. I guess that doesn’t make them overall hard games, but they’re certainly not so easy you can blow through them ignoring the mechanics.

Anonymous

Pretty much all of the SMT games have 1 or 2 bosses that act as filters for people not paying attention or not using the actual buffs/debuffs given to you. Other than that though, and outside maybe the very last encounters, they’re generally piss easy.

Anonymous

Eh, I still think calling them piss easy is a bit screwy. Compared to some older JRPGs or specific cases yeah, SMT as a whole is pretty forgiving. But considering some of the shit that comes out these days, and even games that existed on the PS2 alongside Nocturne, they still require the player to properly understand mechanics if they want to complete the game. Like, you could sleep through most Final Fantasy entries, even older ones. But take Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne, both of which are highly recommended games for newcomers. Those games will fuck you if you ignore general weakness/strength mechanics and don’t build your characters well for fights.

They’re not terribly difficult, but calling them easy is mostly something you feel only after playing through a couple. I remember starting with SMTIV and it fucking kicked my dick in until maybe Blasted Tokyo.

Anonymous

It’s absolutely overrated, but that’s only because it’s often the first SMT entry people play when getting into the series. Which, if you have never played an SMT game, the idea of loading up on buffs and properly managing weaknesses/strengths is often only something you worry about in JRPGs during final bosses/optional fights. Add to it that Nocturne can be pretty cryptic in what you should be doing or how fights work (see Ongyo-ki) where most JRPGs at the time, and these days, are pretty linear.

I’d say Persona 3 is only trickier at times due to the inability to directly command your party members or change their overall resistances/weaknesses/abilities. That and there’s often a pretty solid cap on how strong you can get before fights. Nocturne has way harder areas to navigate, general fight mechanics, and party management. But since it gives you plenty of freedom to build the ultimate team/grind as much as you want, it can be mitigated much more than P3’s difficulty.

Anonymous

P3 isn’t even in the same universe, it’s like comparing Pokemon yellow to Nocturne.

Anonymous

I mean, technically all of the SMT shit is in the same universe if I’m gonna be an poopyhole about it. But I get what you mean. The only reason I’m comparing it is because OP noted P3 as being easier. Wasn’t exactly a comparison I came up with, just one I commented on.

Anonymous

>You dont know what to do
      Its actually kinda hard. in all other JRPG Buff & Debuffs are doing jackshit so you ignore it in this game too.
      You dont know what Demon is good. You just fuse randomly and will finish the game with 50-70% of demon collection

>You know what do to
      Tarukaja, Sukukaja,
      arahabaki & monk until the end

Anonymous

>all you need for the fight is Sakukaja
      All you need for almost any boss is sukukaja. This game is buff/debuff to win. SMT4 is way harder, and I will die on that hill.

Anonymous

I beat SMT4 without dying at launch. How can anyone call that game hard?

Anonymous

SMT4 is brutal until you beat Minotaur and then the game becomes Persona 5 levels of easy. I don’t like that it’s balanced around being able to save anywhere.

Anonymous

it’s easy as fuck if you have basic knowledge about how to play SMT. everything is far, far less lethal than in IV. i never died to a random encounter in my entire playthrough

Anonymous

>buffs are useless in other JRPGs!!!
      did anyone complete DQVIII without buffs? it’s on the same console. that game is hard too if you don’t grind

Anonymous

Nobody played that shit outside JPN faggots and DB worshipers. Bland ass cracker series.

Anonymous

it sold more in the west than nocturne. however not necessarily america

Anonymous

Yeah, Metador and Beelzebub were the only ones I had to try beating more than once so far. But I am playing it on normal, and it is the HD version with manual skill inheritance so I guess that may be why? Still like it though.

Anonymous

Just RNG bullshit. The difficulty in this game is overcome by restarting your save, doing the exact same things in a fight, and getting wildly different results everytime.

Anonymous

Persona 3 is harder

Anonymous

Bros, what skills do I keep and replace for Raidou?

Anonymous

Keep tekisatsu, enter yoshitsune, provoke, jiraia dance, endure, and his pierce skill. Mokoi boomerang and boogie woogie are mostly useless, and the lightning attack is good for pooping on Mot.

Anonymous

The game is too unbalanced with dodges/nulls/reflects/absorbs eating up turns meaning bosses will just throw away turns while you can essentially double up on turns by exploiting weaknesses/critting and completely dominate fights. Also hama/mudo should just not exist, they’re bullshit.

Anonymous

The rules apply to both you and the opponent, how is that unbalanced?

Anonymous

no it doesn’t you can evade your way all the way to the endgame, opponents have literally 0 chance of even hitting you.

Mudo is bullshit , getting instakilled before even casting anything is garbage design.

Anonymous

It’s more "dark souls hard" than difficult
      i.e the game is really punishing but if you know what you’re doing you won’t have too bad of a time outside of the start where you have 0 resources

Anonymous

The game’s "difficulty" comes from you not being able to swap magatama mid fight so if your MC is weak to an attack the boss regularly uses you’re pretty much fucked and have to reload because they’ll just rape you with their extra turns.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.