It’s a good thing the N64 had great first and second party support, because boy, was the multip…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard It’s a good thing the N64 had great first and second party support, because boy, was the multip…

• This topic has 96 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

It’s a good thing the N64 had great first and second party support, because boy, was the multiplatform port landscape a sore sight.

Anonymous

the butchered music on n64 tony hawk was the worst

Anonymous

Hearing some of those songs today when my experience is the n64 loops was surreal. Too much time has passed and I can’t accept the full versions, honestly.

Anonymous

Look at Dreamcast. Awesome system.

Anonymous

Yeah, I don’t know what’s up with the Xbox shot. I would have thought it would look the best hands-down, but it looks like it’s got some weird smoothing or anti-aliasing going on, kinda like a higher-res version of what the N64 has going on.

Anonymous

Can barely make out the spunk on that tranny in the xbox screenshot

Anonymous

You’re like a homeless dude ranting lol

Anonymous

?

Anonymous

The OG Xbox is known for having some awful image quality. None of the video encoder chips used are very good.
          This combined with the flicker filter used in low res modes and the picture just becomes a mess. In addition quite a few games have additional blurring on top of that.
          There’s some software ways to improve it but basically it’ll never look as good in 480p as a Dreamcast.

Anonymous

PlayStation is the definitive version of THPS games to me. Spent dozens of hours playing them all and
      Dreamcast looks great as usual. Any time a game was on SEGA and Sony consoles the SEGA version was superior.

Anonymous

>PlayStation is the definitive version of THPS games to me
        >Any time a game was on SEGA and Sony consoles the SEGA version was superior

nigga what

Anonymous

My mistake, I meant to keep typing after "and".

Everyone I knew back in the day had THPS for PS1 and even now, having access to better versions of the game (like Dreamcast), I still opt to play it on PS1. It just feels the most correct for me.

Anonymous

On a technical level, yeah. The Dreamcast Spider-Man port, for instance, has a lot of nice additions like updated textures and character models, even the FMVs were updated to reflect that. In that sense it’s a really impressive looking version of the game, but unfortunately the entire game is a lot darker and less vibrant than it appeared on PS1.
        The Dreamcast version of the Tony Hawk games really do feel like the idealized versions of the games to me, they’re like if the PS1 versions didn’t have the limitations of the PS1 holding them back; but there’s something to be said for the grainy PS1 aesthetic of the originals and how impressive those games are for the hardware.
        I genuinely remember being impressed by the textures in the Dreamcast version when I was a kid. The graphics on character’s T-shirts and other branded textures/decals throughout the game didn’t look like a mess of pixels anymore.

Anonymous

>PlayStation is the definitive version of THPS games to me.
        Everyone gangsta until PC appears.

Anonymous

It’s kind of amazing that the Dreamcast looks better than the Xbox. Like shit I know these games were only a year apart and this was relatively late in the console’s lifespan but wow, that’s impressive

Anonymous

And yet the N64 is supposedly "the most powerful" that generation…

Anonymous

>Dreamcast screenshot
      That’s gotta be upscaled, right? Was it really that sharp? Mad impressive if so, I never played it on DC

Anonymous

Nah that’s just the way it looked. Dreamcast is known for having crisp video output.

Anonymous

Nah that’s just the way it looked. Dreamcast is known for having crisp video output.

The DC had hardware anti-aliasing, which for devs meant that adding AA to their games was "free" in terms of system resources.

Anonymous

To be fair to that image: I heard the story that the PS2 version is literally an unfinished beta that was stolen from the studio and rushed on to the PS2 for a quick buck.

Anonymous

>Sony cope
            Is this the case for every single DC/PS2 game? Quake 3 also looks and runs better on Dreamcast as well.

Anonymous

DC>XBOX>PS1>…………………………………N64
      Yeesh

Anonymous

As not good as the N64 port is you really have to marvel at it. Like it’s a surprise they got the game running as well as they did, even with Guerrilla Radio as the opening music. Surprised it didn’t make the N64 burst into flames to be honest but hey, it exists, it functions, it works.

Anonymous

I am far more surprised that they bothered to port THPS3 to it as a send-off of sorts (IIRC it’s the last officially licensed N64 game released, at least in the states) when even the Dreamcast didn’t get that privilege.

Anonymous

I think the Dreamcast was dead at that point so they probably just didn’t bother. People owned more N64s than DCs anyway and Nintendo consoles tend to stay alive for a year or two after the next one hits the market, even if there’s no software being made for them and TWPS3 happened to get that title of final release. It’s a interesting last game tbh, cuz usually the last game released for a console officially is some bargain bin shovel ware that 6 people are probably gonna buy. It’s like how they kept making FIFA games for the Ps2 all the way up to 2013 or something ridiculous

Anonymous

>It’s like how they kept making FIFA games for the Ps2 all the way up to 2013 or something ridiculous

Well, this one makes plenty of sense. Fucking HUGE worldwide install base, much of it in third-world countries where grassdive is huge, and people can barely afford to pay the rent and eat, let alone buy a next-gen console. But then again, they all probably pirated them anyway kek

Anonymous

The fuck are you talking about, N64 was more powerful

Anonymous

The N64 physically cannot handle textures higher than 32×32 pixels, how does that make it more powerful?

Anonymous

You’re a faggot for pretending that texture size is wholly responsible for how powerful a console is or isn’t.

Anonymous

>looks worse
                >plays worse
                >sounds worse

Nintentards once again cannot refute this

Anonymous

You’re a faggot for pretending most of that is true.

Anonymous

THPS2 clearly runs at a higher framerate on N64.

Anonymous

That doesn’t mean it looks good though. It may be smoother but it still looks smeared in Vaseline and has a terrible butchered ost and autistic n64 controls

Anonymous

>The N64 physically cannot handle textures higher than 32×32 pixels
              Is this right? With 4kb, assuming no mip-mapping, shouldn’t it do 64×64 8-bit or 64×128 4-bit textures?

Anonymous

it’s 64 bits and therefore twice as powerful as the psx

Anonymous

So why is every game looking disgusting?

Anonymous

On PS? Texture warping

Anonymous

It has to be said: the Xbawks version runs at a pretty steady 60 FPS, so it does have that going for it over the others. Also all the levels from THPS1 and a few extras.

Anonymous

It’s an awesome version of the game. It has weird physics issues as a result of running at 60fps though. Nothing you’re likely to notice if you’re not already familiar with the game, but still.

Anonymous
        Anonymous
          Anonymous

Imagine thinking looks better than

. The state of nintendrones.

Anonymous

why do you care?
            genuinely
            what sort of brain problem do you have that makes you care about that?

Anonymous

they hate the n64 because it was the console that kids with friends had, something they never could experience.

Anonymous

it pisses me off that they remade this level in HD twice now and on both occasions they said fuck it, who needs a blue sky?

Anonymous

Wow wobble vs blur I’ve definitely never seen anyone point that out before when talking 5th gen.

Anonymous

Sure is a good thing we have a version that has neither.

Anonymous

PSX looks stunning, N64 absolutely horrible.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

N64 has no loading

Anonymous

It didn’t even have that great 1st and 2nd party support. It just had nothing else and so those who had the 64 all played the same game and so talk about it endlessly.

Anonymous

>SOVL/SOUVL
      >SOVLESS/SOVLESS

Anonymous

Tried asking anons on the Xbox thread about whether the Xbox version has AA, accounting for the blurriness, but they could only guess. And finding information is surprisingly difficult, made harder by the fact that all the MS consoles are called Xbox and so searching for anything OG Xbox-related brings up results for all the newer shit.

Then again, the thing is such a black box that it took almost 20 years for decent emulators that could actually play games to become a thing, so maybe it’s not surprising that information is sparse.

Anonymous

Anti flicker on the XBOX blurs the image.

Anonymous

Interesting. Does enabling 480p not disable anti-flicker?

Anonymous

console plebs, PC is best

Anonymous

damn dreamcast was legit? i pretty much ignored it entirely

Anonymous

Literally a doctored blurred image for the 64 shot… jesus christ, you people need help

Anonymous

So this is the hill nintendies choose to cope on.

Anonymous

It’s a pixel-perfect shot of what the N64 outputs. The reason it looks so blurry is because the N64’s VI anti-aliases the 3D and then upscales the image horizontally to 640 pixels using bilinear filtering, so it’s blur on top of blur. The end result looks okay on its intended target display (the average consumer CRT), but on anything else, the whole thing falls apart.

Anonymous

Oh, and let’s not forget the low-res textures that are then filtered using an imperfect version of bilinear filtering commonly referred to as 3-point filtering. This adds yet more blur to the image.

Anonymous

>The end result looks okay on its intended target display (the average consumer CRT)
          Is this an NTSC thing, because I live in a PAL region, and PAL produces extremely sharp images, many times better than N64 output. Like you would be able to tell instantly that N64 is a blurry mess compared to the usual PAL quality.

Anonymous

I am not sure, but I don’t see why it would be an NTSC-only thing. This is how the N64 hardware works. See, the N64 produces an image, and then the VI applies what amounts to post-processing on that image, and that is what you see in the end.

You can see the difference between the raw framebuffer output and the end result after the VI has its way with said framebuffer output easily. Load an N64 emulator with either the Angrylion or ParaLLEl-RDP plugin, and the default image you’ll see is what the VI outputs. Go into the settings for either plugin, turn off all the VI filtering options, and you’ll get the raw framebuffer image, which is much sharper, but also jaggier and with a whole lot more dithering.

Anonymous

That’s not what I meant.
              >The end result looks okay on its intended target display (the average consumer CRT)
              This can be read as to mean that the quality of a SD CRT is so low that when N64 is connected to one the quality level would not be so significantly worse compared to what was expected of the device normally.
              That’s why I was wondering if this is an NTSC thing, because I have heard multiple people say things along these lines about N64 looking ok on an SD CRT. It most definitely does not ok to anyone used to PAL quality. I own a miniDV cam-corder, and when hooked up to my 14inch CRT the image is so sharp and clear, it looks like the TV was replaced with a portal, it literally looks almost the same as real life its so good.

Anonymous

kys, tranny

Anonymous

SO HERE I AM

Anonymous

The Dreamcast version added an effect where the skater’s clothing would ripple slightly in the wind once you got to a certain speed. It looks pretty cool in motion.

Also, if I remember right a bunch of the "exclusive" maps from Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2X were reused in later games in the series. I know the Oil Rig level was retooled and used again in American Wasteland.

Anonymous

Anti aliasing was the future.

Anonymous

PC is still the DEFINITIVE version of THPS3
      it has Everything from all ports and Doomguy included as the most OP skater of all time.

Anonymous

That’s THPS2 retard

Anonymous

it lacks n64 versions soul

Anonymous

N64 port never had the soundtracks, is censored and cut, and the controls are garbage.

Anonymous

b-b-b-but it has NINTENDO written on it!

Anonymous

Oh look its the anti Nintendo spammer. You will always be missing out on the fun N64 owners had with their friends

Anonymous

>the xbox version lacks SPUNK
      What did MS mean by this?

Anonymous

Censorship, perhaps? Odd thing to censor, but then again, despite being the company aiming for the grown-up gamer, they ended up censoring Conker more than in the kiddy N64.

Anonymous

N64 should never be viewed on anything but a CRT. It’s simply not built for raw output on modern displays.

This is why it’s the most SOUL console.

Anonymous

>yakuza funded soulless company with giant anti consumer practices since the very beginning
        >soul
        nintendo cultists should be rounded up and killed

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.