itt: games that are nearly impossible to beat.

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic itt: games that are nearly impossible to beat.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

itt: games that are nearly impossible to beat.

• #23753 Reply
      Anonymous

Life

• #23754 Reply
        Anonymous

Not true, it’s easy.

• #23755 Reply
        Anonymous

But you do beat it….when you die.

• #23780 Reply
          Anonymous

In that case I can’t lose

• #23756 Reply
      Anonymous

have been playing a mod that lets you get all the cards (rarest ones are 1/2048 chance) for the last 4 months and i want to die.

• #23757 Reply
      Anonymous

>acquire MBD and THTD through Low Meadow Mage farming
      >acquire Megamorphs, Bright Castles, and Dragon Treasures through Pegasus and the Memory Card exploit
      >proceed to roll the dice 7 times in a row hoping you don’t get raped by Guardian Star Sun in face-down Attack Position 😉
      It’s not unbeatable, just extremely tedious and the most unga bunga YGO game of all time.

• #23758 Reply
        Anonymous

Can this shit even actually be called a YGO game? It’s only YGO in character, card art, and specific card stats.

• #23759 Reply
        Anonymous

>THTD through Low Meadow Mage farming
        He drops it? I fought that guy 200+ times and never saw THTD, ended up buying it via starchips.

• #23760 Reply
        Anonymous

>face-down Attack Position

This alone was absolute bullshit.

• #23761 Reply
      Anonymous

If you just want something difficult and enjoyable, Dark Souls. It was never nearly as hard as its portrayed to be by the media and masses, it just had a strong marketing campaign to push it as ‘THE’ hardcore game – it got to the point where the rerelease was rebranded as the “Prepare to Die Edition”, which just about sums it up. But it was one of the hardest games released around that time, when most games were shooters or some other casual shit, and your first playthrough of any Souls game is bound to be difficult.

• #23762 Reply
      Anonymous

Pretty Soldier Wars 2048
      You will cry

• #23772 Reply
      Anonymous

I’m just choosing a random monster here
      >Monster Egg
      >ATK/ 600 DEF/ 900
      >Starchip Cost: 999,999
      >Starchips that can be earned per duel: 1-5
      >Estimated Grind Time: Probably your entire life
      wtf was wrong with this game

Also thread theme

• #23775 Reply
        Anonymous

A good number of cards were supposed to be gotten with a Pocketstation, the Playstation’s answer to the VMU the Dreamcast had. You were supposed to use it to play a minigame on the Pocketstation, then transfer cards over to the main game; literally all the cards that cost a million Star Chips. It also would’ve made going through the campaign FAR quicker than grinding for literally thousands of duels.

Unfortunately, the Pocketstation was never sold overseas, and to add insult to injury, the possibility of even using one on a non-JP version of the game is impossible because anything pertaining to it was removed from the overseas version.

tl;dr: It’s literally impossible to get all the cards because you’re a filthy gaijin.

• #23776 Reply
          Anonymous

thank you anon, i thought it was some retarded dev

• #23797 Reply
          Anonymous

FF8 had some interactions with the pocket station as well iirc? Something to do with a pet chocobo that would fetch items for you, and get a unique sword for Squall?

• #23787 Reply
      Anonymous

Pinball Deluxe Reloaded, a mobile pinball game I play with a bunch of different arcade options. One machine is a Breakout-style ball-and-paddle setup, with 60+ levels (devs keep adding more) to progress through on 3 balls. You can save your progress every 5 levels.
      I am ranked 31st globally on that cabinet. I have never gotten past level 57. I have been trying for 4 years.

• #23790 Reply
      Anonymous

It’s not really a “game” but a part of one, in FFXIV there is what is probably the hardest dungeon in the game for solo players which is called Palace of The Dead and only like 5 people globally have managed to clear it. Give it a try if your connection is stable (you have to restart if you get disconnected), it’s pretty damn long.

Otherwise there’re many Roguelike games, some of them have small user bases so records really stand out, there’re even procedurally generated Roguelike games where you can make a name for yourself surpassing the current record, I don’t play any of those though so I can’t recommend any names, I only read about them in the general on /vg/ some time ago.

• #23792 Reply
      Anonymous

Tetris: The Grand Master 3 – Terror-Instinct

I think maybe a dozen people have achieved grand master level which involves playing incredibly fast instant drop tetris where all pieces are invisible.

Although arguable needing arcade hardware to play it raises the bar for entry.

• #23793 Reply
      Anonymous

Fire Emblem Fates Conquest on lunatic mode

Lost Planet 1 on Extreme mode

Playing through Mass Effect 3 without vomitting blood from how shite it is

Takeshi’s Challenge (“The packaging contains several warnings that Takeshi no Chousenjou should not be attempted with conventional gaming skills, and the player must complete numerous near-impossible tasks in order to finish the game. It was released only in Japan on December 10, 1986. It stands out as an especially outrageous example of abusive game design because Kitano leveraged his fame to sucker players into buying the game (…) Notably, the majority of these players were children – the very audience least equipped to understand Kitano’s cruel humor. lel)

Getting a girlfriend

• #23794 Reply
        Anonymous

Crypt of the Necrodancer in Coda mode.

>it’s basically chess
        >except randomized
        >and you have to play it at 100+ turns a minute to the beat
        >and you lose if you make a wrong move or miss even a single beat

>only like 20 people in the entire world have beaten it

• #23795 Reply
          Anonymous

I’ve played it for >100hs and still can’t beat aria

• #23798 Reply
      Anonymous

Judging by the thread I’m interpreting the question as “difficult games.” Sekiro. It’s a hard game in the sense that it has quite unique and precise mechanics that take a while to learn and master, and punishes you hard for making mistakes, with most enemies able to 2 or 3HKO you, even basic ones.

Once youve got the mechanics down, you’ll eventually realise that even the most aggressive enemies only have pre-programmed combos that always come out exactly the same, so each boss fight is really just a matter of pattern memorization.

Anyone saying it’s “easy” is just pathetically pumping their own ego for fake internet points. It’s not easy. It’s also not as hard as its reputation once you get over the initial learning curve.

• #25125 Reply
      Anonymous

Wizardry 1 and 4

>”Wizardry IV sold very poorly. Further, as Robert Sirotek of Sir-Tech later said, “It was insanely difficult to win that game”:[1]

>I had such issues with that. I felt that it went way beyond what was necessary in terms of complexity, but the people that developed it felt strongly to leave a mark in the industry that they had the hardest game to play — period, bar none. That’s fine if you’re not worried about catering to a customer and making sales.

>Return of Werdna was the worst-selling product we ever launched. People would buy it, and it was unplayable. So they’d put it down, and word spread around. There were other hard-core players in the market that loved it. They said, “Ah, why doesn’t everybody do this?” Well, we don’t because you guys are a minority. If you’re a glutton for punishment, you’re going to have to get your pleasure somewhere else because nobody can survive catering to such a small number of people.

>So, it was controversial in that way. In the end, I think I was proven correct that making crazy impossible products in terms of difficulty was not the way forward.”

• #34020 Reply
      Anonymous

Currently playing Wizardry 6.

Holy poopy, “rough start” doesn’t even begin to describe it. Got my first party wiped out 80% of the time from random encounters in the first room, I couldn’t progress even with full savescumming.

Then I found out that the best way to play the game was to create a party with a mix of 6 mages and priests, and immediately dual-class half of them into fighter hybrids, because when you have 0 weapon skill and can’t hit anything whatsoever the only way to grind to level 2 is to spam level 1 spells, which everyone should start with.

The class mechanics are batpoopy crazy. You don’t have enough skill points and spell picks to make a good caster even if you go full pure mage, so you have to dual-class and restart from level 1 to get skill and spell points again. The dual classing is completely freestyle in this game, you can take a mage to any level, change him into a priest, level him up a few times, go back to level 1 mage again and just keep collecting spells on each levelup on the way with literally no downsides except extra grinding. It’s quite different from any CRPG I ever played.

• #34021 Reply
        Anonymous

You need to use a Bard to get your feet off the ground and your skills will correct into tolerable levels just from hitting things normally. Wiz 6 SNES is a great game, though.

• #34022 Reply
      Anonymous

I just tried out a game recently, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls. It’s a dungeon crawling blobber, and I’m having a surprising amount of fun with it. It’s pretty tense walking into a warp tile, getting lost, losing a party member or two, and desperately trying to find my way back to the exit without dying. It makes me real curious about other games like it. If I want to revisit some of the classics, which ones are recommended?

I’ve heard that wizardry 4 is unreasonably difficult to complete without a guide. Are the games prior to it equally obtuse, or would they be a decent starting point? I saw W1 has a snes port with color graphics, instead of those wire frame things. As a kid I must have played one of the wizardry games on dosbox because I distinctly remember those black & white wireframe 3D graphics.

What about the later titles? I’ve heard the Dark Savant trilogy is solid, would that be a good starting point? Other titles I’m thinking about are Might & Magic games, or something like Stonekeep. I also tried Legend of Grimrock years ago, though didn’t get very far in it. Were Bard’s Tale and Betrayal at Krondor similar?

I just wanna do some spooky dungeon crawling and other blobbery but idk where to start.

Viewing 14 reply threads
Reply To: itt: games that are nearly impossible to beat.
Your information:

Upload image to imgur:

Clicking submit = agreeing with the rules. Good posts may get edited and promoted to a blog post.