>Play an indie metroidvania

Home Forums A haunted junk yard >Play an indie metroidvania

• This topic has 94 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

>Play an indie metroidvania
      >Explore the world for goodies
      >Find optional bosses, optional items, optional story things, optional new areas, so on.

>Play a metroid game.
      >Explore the world for goodies.
      >Find a missile expansion, and another missile expansion, and a power bomb expansion, but mostly missile expansions.
      Why do people like this series?

Anonymous

It’s a good game, just not a good Metroid game.

Anonymous

>it’s a good game, just not a good ____ game
        basic opinion that basic people have about every game
        maybe try thinking a bit more for once

Anonymous

you didn’t play the game though

Anonymous

it’s literally one of if not the best metroid game

Anonymous

Its fun, controls amazingly, great combat, and the exploration is great and rewarding.

Anonymous

lmao get gud

Anonymous

How is "get gud" even remotely related response to OP’s prompt.

He didn’t even say "This game is too easy" which is the type of shit that triggers hollow knight diverse folk into saying "git gud," because atleast that’s related to difficulty even if git gud is the opposite thing to say here. OP isn’t even talking about difficulty at all.

Anonymous

Because you can sequence break, get upgrades and bosses out order

Anonymous

faggots like you who cream over "sequence breaks" are really insufferable

Anonymous

…why though? Sequence breaks add a lot of replayability though non-linearity, super metroid is full of them, and it’s commonly considered to be the best one.

Anonymous

lmao get gud

Anonymous

Metroid has always been more about speedrunning than full exploration. That’s why most games give you better endings based on speed and not item %, with some variations. I don’t know why people don’t understand this.

Anonymous

What’s the point of the item upgrades if they’re all just bonus and take away from the speedrunning

Anonymous

To create a larger margin of error and give casuals a way to advance if they can’t get good.

Anonymous

The speedrun is about getting good enough to not need as many pick ups.

Anonymous

because the focus on the journey and content instead of speedrunning through it is what indie developers took from the series. and what they make their games around which is way more palatable than speedrunning a game which >99% of people who ever played any metroid game ever have done. im not talking about replaying metroid prime later because it’s fun. im talking actually trying to speedrun and get the jpg at the end of samus in her casual outfit.

Anonymous

Because you can sequence break, get upgrades and bosses out order

Why is the game about speedrunning when there are several unskippable cutscenes.

I mean, most are skippable, but seriously, why are there random unskippable ones.

Anonymous

disguised loading screen

Anonymous

>unskippable cutscenes.
          ?

Anonymous

>Metroid has always been more about speedrunning
        for autistic trannys like you, sure.

Anonymous

You literally get better endings for faster completions.

Anonymous

The endings never change. Only a single image of Samus changes.

Anonymous

and those are the achievements/rewards for the game. making them the only objective goal for it

Anonymous

Speedrunning was an unintentional development. Exploration was the design goal. That said, most indie metroidvanias are just dull and poorly designed.

It’s a good point, you get way too many missile expansions, to an extent where it becomes impossible to run out, and yet the game will still give you more.
        Who the hell needs 275 missiles, especially when just spamming the beam is stronger in this one.
        It’s an issue that originated in super metroid, and that further games alleviated, by introducing beam combos in prime, or by not making regular missiles and supers separate, but never resolved.

Play on hard mode. Missiles become more essential.

Anonymous

>Speedrunning was an unintentional development.
          Literally the first fucking game rewards you for faster clears you dunce

Anonymous

Missiles don’t become more essential on hard mode, because the beam is still broken you dumbass.

Anonymous

speak for yourself, autismo

Anonymous

The protagonist is hot and metroids are cool and the game is fast and tight and it doesn’t look like a shitty flash game.

Anonymous

It’s a good point, you get way too many missile expansions, to an extent where it becomes impossible to run out, and yet the game will still give you more.
      Who the hell needs 275 missiles, especially when just spamming the beam is stronger in this one.
      It’s an issue that originated in super metroid, and that further games alleviated, by introducing beam combos in prime, or by not making regular missiles and supers separate, but never resolved.

Anonymous

Beam spam isn’t better lol wtf. Unless you’re only shooting 1 missile at a time

Anonymous

beam spam fucking shreds through chozo warriors quicker than storm missiles.

Anonymous

Metroid is more about replaying the game and trying to get less time, more items, or both. No point is tons of optional content that doesn’t lend itself well to that goal.

Anonymous

>tfw can’t beat the first chozo robot at the beginning of Ferenia
      Holy shit and i thought i got decent at vidya after beating the souls series.

Anonymous

How many times have you died to it

Anonymous

i think about 20 times now. I’m focusing on trying to find this boss’s gimmick but it doesn’t seem to have one

Anonymous

that chozo robot is a filter but let me just warn you: he may be the first but he is not the last. learn quick

Anonymous

well that’s good, i enjoy struggling for once in a nintendo game.

Anonymous

Don’t get close to it. Use Flash Shift to widen distance and pump it full of missiles. You can’t parry the red melee attack, but you can the blue one.

Anonymous

I just cheesed it just going between the top two platforms and spamming missiles at it. Monkey in the middle’d that bitch.

Anonymous

If you’re struggling now, just wait until later when you have to fight two. Just focus on keeping a distance with flash shift/platform movement and hit him with missiles when he tries to close the gap. Before he even attacks, go ahead and move to a new position to repeat. It’ll take longer, but this is the safest way to fight them if you’re struggling to avoid their shit.

Also, look to charge a shinespark before the encounter if possible. Shinesparking into them will take off about half their health.

Anonymous

It’s super easy, just stay on the upper level and double dash across the gap whenever he gets close. As he closes in, spam missiles. Simply jump over his lasers occasionally. I figured this out literally the second time and beat him in like 2 minutes.

Anonymous

why the fuck are 90% of the environments all just gray monochrome areas? What happened to all the colorfur, exciting places we could go in the other games? Fuck even the original NES game wasn’t this drab looking.

Anonymous

The overall map layout and level design is really weird at times too. When you count the fact that roughly 35-50% of most maps are practically just E.M.M.I zones (which most have similar architecture) and the fact that you’ve got some absolutely pointless sections (like getting the Power Bomb) or when two of the E.M.M.I get disabled Beyond that, your overall ability distribution is hell out of whack too, you get new toys which you practically use for a roughy 20-30 minutes and then you’ve already upgraded with another tool that does the same job, yet doesn’t really change anything in how you explore the areas.

The problem with this is, the same platform (Switch) has had La Mulana, its sequel, Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge (and it’s sequel). Fuck, i could also technically mention the three Blast Master Zero games while i’m at it.

In that sea of games, i’m seriously trying to find where Dread really stands out in comparison to the competition and roughly the only thing i can mention is the controls and mobility. That won’t exactly fix the issues that plague the gameplay and map design, but for the average person who has never played other Metroid inspired games can really not have a decent measuring stick where Dread goes wrong. It’s even worse when you stick into the fact that it’s a Nintendo game, it’s selling better than games that are cheaper, better and (arguably) do the same thing it does, but without the name Metroid on the cover.

Anonymous

I loved all those games you listed and I’ve played every single Metroid game. Also I would list Blasphemous as another good Metroid like and now we even have 3 actual Metroidvanias with the CV Advance Collection. The power up distribution does feel oddly random. They definitely designed this with trying to focus too much on EM.M.I. areas and less on overall exploration. I really hope Prime 4 doesn’t have similar issues.

Anonymous

>your overall ability distribution is hell out of whack too, you get new toys which you practically use for a roughy 20-30 minutes and then you’ve already upgraded with another tool that does the same job, yet doesn’t really change anything in how you explore the areas.
          This is the only actual point in your post and itโ€™s blatantly false

Anonymous

And what is false exactly? There are plenty of abilities that serve as practically opening up a path, instead of opening up a branch of paths.

It’s easiest to see in a flow chart, for a game with such a high emphasis on exploration the difference between sequence breaking (and doing normal pathing) will in worst case give you practically nothing. I think the Orange Teleporter is likely the most hilarious, because it gives you the Radar, but blocks all other progress on the map, preventing stuff like getting the Super Missiles and Ice Missiles in one go, because the zone is built around having a specific set of items to progress. This repeats on practically every map, because the moment you’re thinking of doing something out of sequence, the game is very strict with it’s pathing. This is especially grating when i start to plan out that they could have torn out multiple of the barriers that currently exist in the game and just about everything would be better off for it.

Anonymous

Good but
          >Axiom verge
          axiom verge is overrated AF
          And you forgot to list the two best 2D games on the market: Ori 2 and cuphead
          When you compare metroid: Dread with these two it looks like Metroid is the $30 indie game

Anonymous

Only the emmi zones are like that. The rest of the game is pretty fucking vibrant so i dont know what the hell are you talking about.

Anonymous

Dread team hates speed runners.

Anonymous

>multiple major sequence breaks deliberately left in
        >more speed tech than any game since super
        >hidden quick kill options on multiple bosses
        >"hates speedrunners"

lol
        lmao

Anonymous

Am I going full retarded or does it get kinda confusing what to do next after getting the space jump?
      The new elevator I found takes me to cold rooms which I can’t get into yet.

My only idea is to go back a few areas and ooen the storm missile door.
      Progressed through everything so far smoothly but I finally got lost

Anonymous

I was stuck for a few minutes there, too. Hint: the Space Jump info highlights how it behaves underwater for a reason.

Anonymous

This game and Luigi’s Mansion gave me these weird problems of getting lost or not figuring out what to do next. LIke, the lure you in with handholding you all the fucking way and then just kinda stop a good hours into it? I don’t know if I like this kind of game design because i seriously have never felt so stupid in my life playing a game before these 2 games. LIke either make the game liner or not, don’t lead me into something and condition me and just go NOPE now figure it out!, and then start holding my hand again like nothing happened?

like an amazing example is when i got to the plant area for the first time. you only really explore the bottom part of it before it leads you to a elevator. This whole fucking time the game has conditioned and has lead me to these teleporters and lifts and trams all the time so far and just as i get to a new area too. So I assumed thats where I needed to go and nope, I had to go somewhere else that I didn’t even notice at first because its a closed area that you need to morph bomb. Like of course if you went that way first you would of not had this problem but if you didn’t it fucks you up a bit.

Anonymous

autism speaks

Anonymous

It’s like you faggots love leaving out the "vania" part of "Metroidvanias" to act retarded. Thats your answer, faggot. Metroid is Metroid, not Castlevania. There is a reason why "Metroidvania" is a thing and what indie people are creating.

Anonymous

>play an indie metroidvania
      >wander around aimlessly because faggot devs care more about making the map bit than any proper design objectives.
      >entire game ends up being a metaphor for coming out as trans

Anonymous

name 1 game

Anonymous

Spend five minutes on Steam, you’ll find it.

Anonymous

Name one indie metroidvania that plays like OP’s description.

Anonymous

La-mulana.

Anonymous

La-mulana is the best metroidvania ever made so it’s not really a fair comparison

Anonymous

The sequel is just as good (if not better) and highlights pretty easily what Dread misses, even if you would remove all the puzzles in 2, you would still have plenty of options on how you get upgrades/how you go about, because the Corridor of Blood is basically the teleporters from Dread on steroids.

Anonymous

What does La Mulana have besides puzzles? The map isn’t even that well designed.

Anonymous

Remake and 2 both have interchangeable ankhs as a primary feature (which means boss order and sequence is highly flexible), upgrade pathing is extremely diverse, because certain maps don’t need to be finished to progress on other maps, one example of this is being able to slip into Temple of Moonlight without a Bronze Mirror in the first game and grabbing an extremely early grapple claw from Icefire Treetop in La Mulana 2 by killing Nidhogg.

Beyond that 1 and 2 bosses are fine, certain items can make them easier and the mid-late game isn’t as stuffed in both games as it is in some other Metroidvanias.

Anonymous

>the mid-late game isn’t as stuffed in both games as it is in some other Metroidvanias.
                      What do you mean? The late game of La Mulana 1 is filled to the fucking brim with a bunch of shit. Maybe too much honestly.

Anonymous

You’re free to mostly get just about anything done (with the exception of closing the Corridor of Blood in 2) and by "stuffed" i mean, the end game railroading the player to a single objective, such as "Do X, then Y". Instead it’s more like you have a set of goals you have to finish until you hit the final map (Crystal Skulls/Stakes) and it isn’t like the game pushes you to a single solution on that front either. I think 2 does it better, because as long as you have the Clay Suit, you can go place any of the skulls you’ve found into Nibiru at just about any point in the game.

Anonymous

>The map isn’t even that well designed
                    Did the original and sequel’s final puzzle filter you that hard?

Anonymous

It’s just a scatter shot of puzzles without rhyme or reason.

Anonymous

Both of the final games final puzzles specifically revolve around how the game’s map works. If the rooms were positioned in any different way both of the puzzles wouldn’t work.

Anonymous

La-Mulana is overstuffed and most of the areas are forgettable. Even then, it’s hardly the standard as most indie metroidvanias are lazy.

>Speedrunning was an unintentional development.
              Literally the first fucking game rewards you for faster clears you dunce

That was an after thought, faggot. Trannies just capitalized on it because it was an easier metric to judge completion by than exploration.

Anonymous

Then why don’t you get better endings for completion in the first game?

Anonymous

What game

Anonymous

Why the fuck are 9 of the bosses chozo soldiers? And why do 4 of them play exactly the same? I wanted more big creepy X mutations.

Anonymous

The reward is supposed to be finding the items themselves and getting closer to that sweet 100% completion. So even though it’s just missile pack #30, it’s precious completion percentage. But I understand this complaint about Metroid as a whole if your satisfaction comes more from individual rewards. I wouldn’t call Metroid outdated compared to modern indievanias but that’s just how Metroid’s gameplay loop works.

Anonymous

>why people like different things
      dunno op, we will never know, just like we will never know why you prefer to eat dicks in place than pussy

Anonymous

Is it worth using Storm Missiles over just spamming ice missiles?

Anonymous

I was trying that on the last boss and just doing missiles seemed way better.

Anonymous

When I was floundering against the final boss I tried using storm missiles, and while it was fair bit more easier, the fight just lasts too long and you’ll inevitably run out of missiles unless you’ve gone to the trouble of grabbing every upgrade on the map. You’re best off just gittin gud when it comes to the major boss fights. That’s said, storm missiles are still super powerful and turned the robot chozo soldier fights from a pain in the ass to a cakewalk

Anonymous

I feel like as long as you’re charging while maneuvering it’s worth it.

Anonymous

What I hate the most is that Metroid fans won’t admit Hollow Knight is under priced.
      >cheap game? must be trash
      literal facebook mom mentality

Anonymous

>accidently shinespark the boss that cools the planet temperature

B-but I wanted to see the counter animation

Anonymous

Shut the fuck up, Hollowfag

Anonymous
      Anonymous

NOOOOOOO METROID BROS, WHAT HAPPENED?

Anonymous

somebody finished the game and its shilling their retarded vid here

Anonymous

Kino happened, anon. And itโ€™s making faggots seethe.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

>casual unoptimised runs already down to 3 hours on DAY FUCKING 1

This will never not be hilarious. 20 years in development for 3 hour game, was it worth the wait?

Anonymous

Yes.

Anonymous

People are beating it in 1:45

Anonymous

>drab grey research facility
      >drab grey research facility with lava
      >drab grey research facility with water
      >drab grey research facility with ice

fuck me the environments are boring, except ghavoran and ferenia, those are cool

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.