Rate the Hollow Knight map out of 10

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Rate the Hollow Knight map out of 10

• This topic has 105 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Rate the Hollow Knight map out of 10

Anonymous

9.5908/10

Anonymous

How many dicks can you see in this picture?

Anonymous

4/10. Kinda hard to find where to go next.

Anonymous

but thats the best part

Anonymous

6/10. Complex without being terribly compelling. No intimacy within the levels.

Anonymous

this is what gets me. no intimacy with or between levels. interconnectivity is what makes Metroidvanias so fun. Looking at this you dont see any of that. One sector of Metroid Dread has more depth, interconnectivity and fun progression than HK

Anonymous

7.8/10

once you get to know the map, it actually feels really small. I wouldn’t mind if it was bigger, I hope Silksong is enormous.

Not sure what you’re getting at here. You will definitely know when you’re close to the Crystal Mines when coming from the Crossroads, same with going to Greenpath from there, because the scenery changes accordingly as you get closer. Even in places where there is no obvious gate between zones, you can tell that you’re close to one zone while being inside another at several places in the game. From the top of my head, while at the Nailmaster’s Hut, mushrooms completely cover the walls and the roof, indicating that you’re right next to the Fungal Wastes. Same thing right by the the Dashmaster statue, there are pipes sticking out from the right side of the wall, and water is pouring out from them, indicating that you are right next to the Royal Waterways.

Anonymous

Good take
        Greenpath / Fog Canyon was the only area that seemed to mesh well.
        They should’ve put Crystal Peak lower, maybe switch it with Queens Garden, and then put Fungal wastes below that.

Anonymous

>Crystal Peak
          >put it lower
          based retard

Anonymous

It really insists upon itself

Anonymous

Pretty much this, half the time you’ll be aimlessly wandering around till you hit a dead end and now have to backtrack, try another path to hopefully find a skill to move forward.

Anonymous

Soulful as fuck, soundtrack of different areas is amazing.
      9/10 slightly too big for my taste

Anonymous

>too big
        nah, i like it big

Anonymous

same i love my gf’s bull’s bbc

Anonymous

9/10
      There are some fairly forgettable areas, like the howling cliffs and queen’s gardens or royal waterways to an extent, and some screens are way too empty, but man does it have an amazing atmosphere.

Anonymous

The Hive is too small, so 9.5/10

Anonymous

wow, really like the variety of black and blacker

Anonymous

rate the rain world map

Anonymous

It’s sad that many people get filtered by either dying constantly when they need karma or just get lost somewhere and never even get to important npcs

Anonymous

rate the rain world map

I got filtered in the upper part of chimney canopy because of that reason, I think

Anonymous

[…]

They a eh

Anonymous

Thanks, just removed it from my wishlist

Anonymous

All the different areas are neat and all but many people who dropped the game did it becayse they ended up in the drainage system, chimney canopy or similar
        Without adding anything that would make it worth it to investigate those areas(lore pearls don’t count) the game would benefit from being linear until you meet Moon(or just removing the drainage system from the fucking game, it’s anti-fun)

Anonymous

every map people have made looks just eh
        but ingame it’s a 6~8/10 depending on the area, and mostly taking point down due to foreground/background art sometimes fucking you up

Anonymous

10/10, unironically the best map I’ve seen in gaming and it fits for one of the best games of all time. Very interconnected, detailed and cleverly designed, though, I will say that the camera placements in some rooms is pretty terrible.

Anonymous

>Very interconnected
          There are some flaws with this since in some areas you die instead of going to lower areas and there are some cases of not being able to go to areas on the left/right when npcs can.

Anonymous

>There are some flaws with this since in some areas you die instead of going to lower areas
            Oh, you mean the screen sometimes does scroll down and sometimes doesn’t. That’s an overall fair argument, but it’s usually easy to spot when one does or doesn’t. For example, in the bottom of Sky Islands, you can use the poles, you already use to move around horizontally, to go down. I can’t remember any other notable examples of this, but I’ve never found this to be a problem myself.
            >and there are some cases of not being able to go to areas on the left/right when npcs can.
            I don’t really see how this is a problem, if there is a place you can go, then you, well, can go there, you just have to figure out. If you actually can’t, then you’re not supposed to go there.
            Also, feel free to provide examples for both arguments, I think your points might have some merit, but I cannot think of a fitting example for any of them.

Anonymous

Basically something like this, areas are obviously interconnected and in theory you can get there if not for death/not switching screen, for example I could get to the other side in left-right place with a worm, even saw myself on the mape where platforms could be if screen switched, but you gotta go through gates. Some other anon recently mentioned some area in sky island that kills you instead of switching to lower screen and I can name area in farm arrays where deer roam, you can even see on the map that areas are connected by a small structure that I managed to climb on, but you can’t go left and right there like npcs because they either didn’t think of it or decided to leave it as it is so you have to get through the gates to go throught a small area to get to the other side.

Anonymous

fuck sky islands with a scorching rod/10

Anonymous

I agree, it’s a shame such gorgeous visuals were wasted on such an overall easy region.

Anonymous

>Backtracking forever lost/10

Anonymous

I would give it 2/10 , i gave up trying to find where to go like 2 hours in , i hate this in games,stop wasting my fucking time.It’s like the 2D version of old doom and quake games where you have to find some dumbass switch or key to progress…i just wanna play the fucking game if you would let me , but nah you have to pad the game with "exploration" , well no thank you.

Anonymous

imagine being this retarded

Anonymous

casuals get out my website

Anonymous

filtered by cornifer

Anonymous

7/10. I like that everything is connected and that the different areas make sense in the context of the setting, but the "intended" path is a complete mess. You’re supposed to pass by the fog canyon without knowing if that’s what you’re supposed to do, you’re supposed to turn tail on the mantises and go back towards where Hornet was to get to the City of Tears and then you have to reach the resting grounds somehow? I don’t even remember how. And then afterwards, good look finding the way to go up the city of tears.

Anonymous

>All those long hallways and small rooms
      Looks like it’s trying to give the illusion of being large, but ends up just being a complete clusterfuck.
      I’ve seen worse, 6/10

Anonymous

too big/10

Anonymous

What if we peed in the Blue Lake

Anonymous

best metroidvania map ever made/10

Anonymous

>all the tendies seething ITT

Anonymous

>better art than dread
      >more open than dread
      >longer than dread
      >harder than dread

what the fuck? how does this happen?

Anonymous

The basic map? Something like 9/10. It has variety and a lot of fun/well thought-out connections.
      In terms of each individual area’s layout, more like 6 or 7/10. The platforming just isn’t that fun. You have a few fun areas and a few fun abilities, but the endgame, where you should be able to just fly through areas that you already know and blitz through new ones, just doesn’t have any of that. All a final pass through the game does is highlight how empty the rooms you’ve already explored feel. Most metroidvanias have this but Hollow Knight has it particularly bad.

Anonymous

For me, it’s the Fungal Wastes. There’s just something so incredibly nostalgic about it. I don’t know if that’s because of the colour scheme or the trippiness of the mushrooms or the music or what, but it’s always felt like home.

Anonymous

same

Anonymous

>all areas look the same and have the same dark blue pallet

At least Dread had varied environments, jesus

Anonymous

>The zone after you beat Mantis Lords where you can get lost in Deepnest
      Kino as fuck

Anonymous

4/10. Fun to explore once. Cancer to go through again.

Anonymous

It gets an 8 from me, Ancient Basin and the Abyss are extremely cool areas, but the Queen’s Garden knocks it down a bunch

Anonymous

>have less than half the upgrades compared to metroid
      >be 5 times longer than metroid
      How boring can one game be?

Anonymous

It’s called soul, you wouldn’t understand.

Anonymous

I hate Crystal Peaks so much.
      And I was disappointed with City of Tears. With the way characters were talking about it, I expected the place to be filled with NPCs and shops and whatnots. But it’s just completely abandoned.
      I stopped playing shortly after, so I’m not going to rate the map overall, since I haven’t even finished it. But the rest of the locales were pretty nice.

Anonymous

>But it’s just completely abandoned.
        that’s the point, dumbass.
        You’re supposed to get there and wonder what the fuck happened, and then you play enough and you learn what the fuck happened.

Anonymous

I know it’s the point faggot.
          But all the time I spent playing I was looking forward to going there, because the game sets up the expectation that it’s this huge, bustling place, but when you finally get there it’s literally nothing.
          After all the previous areas that were filled with danger and crazy shit, I was expecting CoT to be some sort of reward. But it wasn’t. It’s just another area filled with enemies and traps and shit.
          That’s why I found it disappointing. Again, it does make you wonder why it became the way it is, but I don’t want to think about that shit. I just wanted more quirky NPCs and more shops with new abilities.

Anonymous

>I just wanted more quirky NPCs and more shops with new abilities.
            nailsmith and the guy who buys the artifacts for geo are in there

Anonymous

True. And the singing butterfly is also there. They’re cool, but not enough to make CoT a lively place like I had pictured.

Anonymous

Why would you expect a bustling city in a game full of death, where even the bug mayor or whoever says that any bugs who go down there die and he’s proven right? The entire region was dead or insane save for a rare few, that was the point. Why did you think there would be some cool working city in the middle of that?

Anonymous

I don’t give a shit about lore reasons.
              I just wanted a comfy city. I already have no idea what the story of the game is because it’s basically told in riddles and cryptic bs.
              Environmental storytelling is shit and unfortunately this game seems to have it aplenty.

Anonymous

I’m convinced that Ganker is the lowest IQ board. Lower than /x/, lower than /poo/. This board is just full of retards.

Anonymous

Hollow knight’s story is too convoluted. Should’ve just been a story about cute bugs.

Anonymous

But it is a story about cute and sexually active bugs

Anonymous

You’re a fucking idiot anon

Anonymous

>I just wanted a comfy city.
                better hope silksong comes out, because that seems to have plenty of those

Anonymous

I’m too much of a "what do they eat?" autist. It’s a good map, but there should be some areas where we see ruins of farms (fungal wastes might be a good place to put them), and Kingdom’s Edge right next to the main city makes no sense.

There are some nice touches, though. Like Blue Lake being the source of the city’s rain.

Anonymous

I love the gameplay of hollow knight but I’ve dropped it twice now due to getting lost or annoyed at the backtracking. Doesnt help that my sense of direction is bad.

Should I pick it up again and try to power through it?

Anonymous

>Should I pick it up again and try to power through it?
        Yes. It helps using a map

Anonymous

It’s a good thing i’m on Ganker and destined to die alone because if not and I had still played this game I would keep a magnifying glass on hand every waking second of the day to give to my kid and tell them to burn every bug they find.

Anonymous

Anonymous

>OMG EVERYTHING IS TOO LINEAR IN GANES NOWADAYS
      >*Hollow Knight devs make a game that you can explore and find many satisfying secrets and hidden bosses*
      >REEEEEEEEEEE I DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO IM FUCKING QUITING WHY CANT GAMES JUST BE A HALLWAY

Anonymous

>many satisfying secrets
        What large have zero gameplay impact and are thus useless
        >and hidden bosses
        Most of those aren’t so much found by exploration as waiting until you have the right movement upgrade

Anonymous

the game’s pacing and level design is meh, but the game is great overall
      8/10

Anonymous

It’s kino

Anonymous

6/10
      Shitload of wasted space, generally way too huge and reeks of padding, quite open, but due to the nature of the game going in the "wrong" direction can result in very large amounts of wasted time and knowing which direction is the "right" one is not always easy.

Anonymous

>Why isn’t this abandoned city less abandoned?

Anonymous

0/10 reddit knight is shit

Anonymous

the map is the only good thing about this game, 8/10. everything else is terrible though, and they fell for the "featureless white indie blob character" thing.

Anonymous

indieshit/10

Anonymous

are you proud of yourself for that post anon?

Anonymous

could’ve been bigger

Anonymous

its missing the cliffs from the left of king’s pass

Anonymous

6/10
      I can remember most the general biomes and their proper locations, but the actual rooms in each biome arent memorable at all.

Anonymous

Pic is the anal cavity of everyone that plays metroidvanias and you literally can’t prove me wrong

Anonymous

hollow knight is such a superior game.. Compared to metroid dread it might as well be the best metroidvania ever made. Of course it’s still outclassed by rabi-ribi, but that’s to be expected.

Anonymous

Too big and bland. Look at a game like Metroid Zero Mission where every single room contains some kind of special feature, even rooms that are barely 2 screens big. Now look at HK where you’re just slogging over massive blocks of featureless terrain, with no fun movement options to enable smooth, fast traversal. I’ve said this so many times on this website and will continue to say it endlessly – HK tried to copy Dark Souls’ "huge desolate dying world" without understanding that it would not work in a 2D sidescroller. A game like this needs to be densely packed with interesting mechanical and visual design so that the map is instantly memorable and easy to learn.

Anonymous

My only real criticism of Hollow Knight is that it takes a little too long to give you nice movement mechanics.
      The beginning of the game is so fucking boring.

Anonymous

eh, it’s ok
      some of the areas are too samey, it could have benefited from cutting some shit and making the areas more unique

Anonymous

6/10, early-game areas outstayed their welcome, late-game areas could’ve used some more gameplay polish

Anonymous

Am I just blind or is 60 percent of the map some fucking shade of blue

Anonymous

It’s not, but most of the map is somewhere in the blue-purple-pink continuum which probably makes you feel that way.

Anonymous

Idea is nice, but traversing it is just not fun since I had to consult the map constantly. This is not an issue in metroidvania where you can intuit more easily where to go. Some adjacent rooms would be not connected, and you’d have to aaaaaal the way around it’s ridiculous. Other games have detours but they aren’t that obnoxious.

Anonymous

I love it. Each area has its own distinct personality and I love how the colours sort of blend into each other as you gradually go from on zone into the next.

Anonymous

I cannot beat The Radiance for the life of me and I don’t want the shitty endings.
      Luckily my head canon of
      >Hallownest is in a perpetual state of awaiting the The Awaited One (the protagonist in my imaginary sequel) to finally enter and defeat the Radiance because The Hollow Knight disappeared along with Brumm.

Anonymous

allows me to put the game down and move onto something else now.

Anonymous

I have a similar problem with the Pantheon. I can’t beat the 4th one for the life of me cause I’m getting constantly filtered. Can’t even get to the last pantheon so I don’t have any hope that I’ll ever pull it off.

Anonymous

>all this is located in a 1 meter by 1 meter piece of dirt
      >characters are small bugs
      >the abyss is just the subsoil

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.