Skipped this but got Dread and it impressed me, is it worth playing?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Skipped this but got Dread and it impressed me, is it worth playing?

• This topic has 120 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Skipped this but got Dread and it impressed me, is it worth playing?

Anonymous

No. AM2R did the remake of Metroid 2 better.
      Mercury just copy pasted the map and added a counter attack flying enemies to force you to use the counter.

Anonymous

Yes, it’s great. Plays just like Dread, but the bosses are easier. Pirate the amiibo too.

>copy pasted
        So you’re saying you didn’t even play it.

Anonymous

>Copy pasted the map
        You either didn’t play Samus Returns or you didn’t play Metroid 2. Which is it?

Anonymous

No its pretty boring

Anonymous

This. Just watch final boss on YouTube

Anonymous

Yeah, it’s dread lite. Don’t listen to the AM2R autists

Anonymous

The game’s fine. Don’t listen to AM2Rfags.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Did you even play SR?

Anonymous

yes, it’s a boring assist flip. nigga should’ve made his own game, and then no one would’ve cared

Anonymous

He worked on ori will of the wisps and that turned out great unlike m*rcurysteams newest pile of shit

Anonymous

>assist flip
            A what, now?

Anonymous

Cmon now. You know what he meant. Don’t be a grammer.

Anonymous

Yes. AM2R is also okay, but for different reasons than M:SR.

Anonymous

It’s worth it, yes. Good game. Might be a bit weird to go back to after Dread since it’s half the framerate and looks way worse.

Anonymous

It’s very ugly and not as good as AM2R.

Anonymous

It is far from perfect but still pretty good.

Anonymous

It alright.

Anonymous

Samus Return is hot trash
      >shit movement
      >parry everything to win
      >360 aim that requires you to stand still, very bad
      >you have a ping ability that reveals secrets for free casualizing exploration
      >looks like shit, runs at 30fps

Anonymous

>>shit movement
        Wrong.
        >>parry everything to win
        Wrong.
        >>360 aim that requires you to stand still, very bad
        Wrong.
        >>you have a ping ability that reveals secrets for free casualizing exploration
        Reminder that SM literally had and x-ray scanner that lets you see everything. No one’s pooping on SM for that.
        >>looks like shit,
        For a 3ds game, it’s perfectly fine.
        >>runs at 30fps
        For a 3ds game, it’s perfectly fine.

Anonymous

Not him and I love SR but the X Ray Visor is not comparable, 1 because you get it late in the game and 2 because it’s slow as fuck and covers a very very small area. Finding 100% items in SR is a cakewalk while in SM it’s really fucking hard without a guide

Anonymous

I never had a problem finding 100% items in SM. You’re just fucking bad.

Anonymous

Neither did I, I’m just not a shitter who can’t recognize differences in difficulty despite being good at the games

Anonymous

I freely shit on Super Metroid for the x-ray scope, but the KEY difference is that it’s slow to the point of uselessness. If you were a true metroid fan you would identify that Power Bombs are basically the same thing as the scan pulse.

Anonymous

>>parry everything to win
        I remember trying that in Other M
        >Playing hard after beating in normal because why not
        >No power-ups, ok…
        >What the fuck, those bosses are pretty difficult, no way I’ll survive without more energy tanks…
        >oh, you can just avoid all damage by spamming the d-pad.
        >game is suddenly even worse, if such a thing was possible.

Anonymous

You can’t spam parry in SR or Dread though, you need to actually time it unlike movesense or whatever it was called

Anonymous

>shit movement
        It’s the same as dread
        >parry everything to win
        It’s optional and you can completely do a no parry run that’s how optional it is
        Again It’s the same as dread
        Again It’s optional and you never need to use it
        It look good for a handheld and if it’s really a problem just emulate it.

Anonymous

>It’s the same as dread
          This melanoid obviously didn’t play Dread. Dread is smooth as butter, and SR is just not.

Anonymous

>It’s the same as dread
          i like SR but Dread has so much better movement it’s ridiculous

Anonymous

were you THAT filtered?
        yeah shit tends to hit like a truck sometimes but damn, son. are you even trying?
        also
        lrn2emulate, faggot

Anonymous

Compared to Dread it has more padding, shittier movement, shittier variety in environment, enemies and bosses and it runs at 30fps

Anonymous

I can’t recommend it. Every area feels and looks almost exactly the same and the enemy and boss variety is lacking. Of course Metroid 2 itself wasn’t any better in these areas, but Samus Returns is a little TOO faithful a remake. If you’re really starving for Metroid 2, it might be worth it.

Never played AM2R so I can’t really judge it

Anonymous

>Never played AM2R so I can’t really judge it
        The areas look different enough in AM2R and the Metroid fights are vaguely the same, they just don’t run away like in SR. AM2R adds a bunch of original bosses though and I think they’re all dog shit.

Anonymous

The game is okay by Metroid standards and a low tier 3DS game overall. Shit is incredibly easy to do in this game and there wont be any kind of roadblocks ahead in this that you can’t overcome. It adds one original boss fight which is the best in the entire series but it’s a shame it’s the only one. Samus Returns screams missed potential and it was the safest way to reintroduce Metroid since the failure that was Other M. Hardcore fans will like it for the fact that it’s finally metroid after all these years and new fans will get to appreciate the timeless design these games have, but don’t go in with high expectations expecting this to be the second coming of christ like so many did.

Anonymous

This is the best review of the game in this thread

Anonymous

Yeah it’s great. Not on par with Super/Fusion/Zero Mission/Dread though.

Anonymous

It’s great. Combat is a little less refined than Dread, but still the second-best in the series. Exploration is probably most similar to Fusion.

Anonymous

>Am2r trannies immediately flocking to the thread to shill their ZM asset flip
      No one who played Am2r doesn’t like it, but the “people” who worship it and shitpost in SR threads are always insufferable shitter contrarians. Play SR instead.

Anonymous

mercury steam made that too. stand to reason you’d enjoy it

Anonymous

With all the difficulty modes, item collection goodies and the time-based endings I gave this shit a good 5 back to back playthroughs. It’s really good, specially in Very Hard where even the weakest hits will take off 1 or 2 energy tanks

Anonymous

Same. I even got my hands on the amiibos so I got all the Fusion mode endings too. Had a great time.

Anonymous

I only played it a few months ago so the Metroid amiibo was like 80 fucking bucks. I learned to pirate amiibos from my phone just for this game.

Anonymous

Understandable, I got lucky enough to buy them when they were first revealed. I would have done what you did otherwise.

Anonymous

How did you do it? I want to learn.

Anonymous

Order some NFC tags from Amazon, google “all amiibo bin files”, download the Amiiboss app, place the bin files into the amiiboss folder and follow the instructions in the app

Anonymous

Thanks anon

Anonymous

While Dread is a 9.%/10 or 10/10, SR is a 8/10.

Anonymous

Latter bosses were surprisingly good. Still the worst non-nes metroid though.

Anonymous

It’s way, way better than the source material.

Anonymous

they really did a lot to keep in line with the original. this is not a good thing. still played it, but i think the original is almost better just to see how good it is for it’s age.
      not much story to be missed out on.

Anonymous

The gameplay is good but Metroid 2 is just kind of a repetitive and less interesting game than other games in the series
      It’s just a result of it being a Gameboy game
      The remake puts a fresh coat of paint but it’s still Metroid 2

Anonymous

It’s okay. Passable but I feel like it’s existence was only to hold people over until Dread. AM2R is no better. Really Metroid 2 is flawed to the core

Anonymous

yes
      its really good

Anonymous

yes, it’s good, don’t let Ganker memers fool you

Anon, you can like both AM2R and Samus Returns

Anonymous

It’s pretty mediocre and you’ll grow tired of the braindead counter system (which is a bit better in Dread but still a terrible idea).

Anonymous

>which is a bit better in Dread
        How the fuck is it better than in dread? Stop foaming at the mouth.

Anonymous

read that quote again

Anonymous

The enemies aren’t designed to instantly lunge at you when you enter the room giving you an opportunity to shoot them and/or do a running counter. Oh yeah, the running counter. You can use the counter while you’re moving in Dread. One of the big problems in SR is how you have to be stationary to use it.

Anonymous

Nevermind, it turns out I can’t read either.

Anonymous

You don’t have to be stationary to use it. It just stops you. Sounds like I’m splitting hairs but it’s a very big difference.
            In Dread you still have to stop for the one hit counter shot anyway so the dash parry is only really an improvement because the hitbox covers a much larger area while moving.

Anonymous

Yes. If you want a game thats actually about pushing the series forward then play it, if you only care about nostalgia play AM2R. Everyone wins.

Anonymous

>is it worth playing?
      yes but it’s the weakest official metroid game besides nes and gb ones

Anonymous

Nah, Dread was a VAST improvement over the foundation SR laid. Return of Samus and AM2R are both better games. The atmosphere (and arguably even the platforming) is better in Return of Samus, and the mechanics and improvements in AM2R are better than SR.

Anonymous

>The atmosphere (and arguably even the platforming) is better in Return of Samus,
        Hahahahahahahaha

Anonymous

Yes. AM2R is fine as well but has some real fan-gamey bullshit that kind of takes away from it.

Anonymous

I’ve only played super, fusion, zero mission, and dread. Just to get a taste of "classic" metroid, is the original 2 still a good choice? I know samus returns is kind of an inferior dread, and im not a huge fan of playing a fan remake before the real thing.

Anonymous

Sure, as long as you’re ready to play a pretty dated game.

ironically enough it was a big step forward for the series at the time. Super relied on a lot of things introduced in 2.

Anonymous

The boss/Metroid fights are fucking terrible and there’s a ton of them, and the music is dreadful. Other than that it’s a good game but it’s linear. It’s also very short so even if you don’t like it it’s not going to be a huge waste of time.
        Metroid NES is very very different and also worth playing, also very short.

Anonymous

emulate it and if you want to buy it it’s on the 3ds eshop and next year they’re going to close the eshop store

Anonymous

Metroid II is definitely still worth playing today. The original Metroid less so.

Anonymous

SR is okay. I have more fun playing the other games. They leaned in a little too hard with the counter in thst game as opposed to Dread. M2 isn’t that great to begin with so both SR and AM2R worked with what they got.

Anonymous

/our guy/ King K hates SR so it’s shit.

Anonymous

Do you retards legit expect people to know your e-celebs?

Anonymous

It’s a good game. Honestly the biggest gripes are hardware limitations. 30fps and complicated control-scheme on 3DS don’t feel good.

If SR was on Switch it would be much better game.

Anonymous

I liked it.
      I wonder if they’ll make a HD remaster for Switch after the success of Dread. It’s honestly wasted on the 3DS tiny screen.

Anonymous

I’d be kinda surprised, I think it would need a pretty hefty visual overhaul. The effort would be probably better spent on another game unless it was outsourced.

Anonymous

Now that I think about it, I can’t recall a single 3DS game that Nintendo straight ported on the Switch like say WIi U games. Kinda odd.

Anonymous

rune factory 4
          gunvolt
          kirby battle royale
          layton mystery journey
          monhun generations

Anonymous

I liked Samus Returns but I don’t remember all that much about it, which isn’t a good sign.

Anonymous

it’s 30 fps

Anonymous

Yes it’s good just emulate it if you don’t want to play on a small screen. Also, Don’t listen to am2r fags they are like (or probably are) the hollow knight diverse folk and completely shit on it because it’s "competition" to their fan game.

Anonymous

is there a way to emulate it 60 fps? last time i checked i couldn’t find a way

Anonymous

I didn’t emulate it so I don’t know.

Anonymous

I like SR but you can fuck off as well. Useless-ass discourse.

Anonymous

It’s basically a Dread prototype, with few and repetitive enemies and much lower graphic details but still really good, loving exploring the huge maps, metroids do feel really dangerous first and later fights you feel getting stronger and wiser against them. It’s fun!

Anonymous

It’s pretty good but AM2R destroys it

Anonymous

>AM2R destroys it
        Not with those shitty bosses.

Anonymous

If you like dread it’s a must play. On a different note this is my list after finishing dread

Anonymous

what an awful tier list

Anonymous

You’re a melanoid and your taste is absolute shit

Anonymous

ok 🙂

Anonymous

its a 6/10. it walked so Dread could run.

Anonymous

It’s not as good but still pretty damn nice. The counter is a lot more prevalent, mostly to the game’s detriment, but there are some genuinely great bits of exploration and action. Hearing that idiot KingK relive how much Diggernaut must have dabbed on him gave me incredible pleasure. The game very much carries Fusion’s torch in solidifying Metroid as a more hardcore, challenging Nintendo franchise.

Anonymous

It really suffers from being a 3ds game and also a remake to a NES game. Boring map, boring upgrades and the same bosses repeated 10 times each. The worse thing about it is how everywhere you move or jump to there is one of the 5 enemies the game has offscreen waiting for you to do their only attack so you can parry them.

Anonymous

Metroid 2 was a gameboy game

Anonymous

So Dread plays like the 3DS Metroid? Is the series dead then?

Anonymous

Yes, no

Anonymous

Am2r is way better than that turd.

Anonymous

ok shill

Anonymous

I really hated using that disgusting 3ds joystick to move, and fuck almost mandatory parrying.

Anonymous

Parrying is a good mechanic, people just hate it because it’s new.

Anonymous

It’s good but too overused on Metroid 2, all shielded enemies you are forced to do it

Anonymous

I like it but honestly it’s useless. Just spam missles. I barely used it while playing Samus Returns and Dread.

Anonymous

I’m and

>shit movement
          It’s the same as dread
          >parry everything to win
          It’s optional and you can completely do a no parry run that’s how optional it is
          Again It’s the same as dread
          Again It’s optional and you never need to use it
          It look good for a handheld and if it’s really a problem just emulate it.

you can parry if you want but missiles are just better. I also fought the bosses without parring because at first I didn’t know you can parry them so I played it like a Metroid game and spammed missiles. The only time I actually used parries on a boss was with the queen Metroid because I wanted to bomb her insides like the original.

Anonymous

nah i don’t think so, for me it’s the de facto low point and what prevents the game to be a fucking 10/10
        it is "better" in dread because it doesn’t break momentum anymore, but still i’d prefer both games without it for sure

Anonymous

If you like dread you’ll like that shit too. The same people made it.

Anonymous

Just play the original Gameboy title

Anonymous

They’re entirely different games.

Anonymous

i would be extremely careful with the circle pad.

Anonymous

Yes. Dread is a sequel to it and addresses its issues but it is absolutely worth playing.

Anonymous

Depends. I think it’s fine, but definitely go in expecting a notably worse product than Dread. A lot of MercurySteam’s new abilities were improved drastically in Dread, and the game in general suffers a lot from conflict between being a remake and being a platform for MS’s new ideas. The Metroid fights drag on a lot due to the Melee focus on TOP of the repetitiveness found in the original game, and the middle game in particular feels like quite a slog. Despite all of that, I still would call it a good game and a worthwhile way of playing Metroid II. Just bear in mind that there will be a share of flaws.

Anonymous

I really didn’t like SR.
      Good
      >The music is great
      >the 3D effects are wonderful
      >Samus’s suit is the best it’s ever looked.
      Bad:
      >parrying sucked (dude just stand still till the flash lmao)
      >the controls were not good (I was on an o3DS so this might be subjective)
      >artstyle is hit or miss
      >missiles felt like fucking pea shooters and had no impact
      >the movement felt stiff and clunky
      >everything felt like a bullet sponge until the end
      Dread remedied basically everything I hated about this game, so I don’t think it’s worth your time. I still don’t understand why this game got such high review scores. I did like AM2R more, but that’s because I was a big fan of ZM.
      How about you just play it yourself and form your own opinion OP?

Anonymous

>artstyle is hit or miss
        the oldass 3ds screen doesn’t do it justice, m8
        upscale this fucker on citra, it really is a good looking game

Anonymous

Its shit but you liked dread so you might like this piece of shit

Anonymous

better than other m

Anonymous

Can the Switch emulate 3DS?

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.