Soul

• This topic has 309 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 57 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Soul

Anonymous

>"Uh, you okay, Squall?"

Anonymous

[…]

lmao

Anonymous

redpill me on original vs. remastered, is original really better or is it just "they changed this one polygon so all the numerous improvements don’t count" shit?

Anonymous

do you prefer chad squall or nu-mura’s squall? that’s the only real difference

Anonymous

I hate what that bastard did to him.

Anonymous

His Squall design peaked in KH1 and is basically an older Squall with a mix of his old outfit and Laguna’s.

Anonymous

I don’t trust SE with anything anymore. They’d fag it up which is amazing considering FF is literally teen angst.

Don’t know about japan but Spoony pooping on it actually did the game a favor in that Enix will probably never touch it again or fork it over to degenerate frenchies like IX.

Anonymous

It’s better in every way except blurry backgrounds

Anonymous

There are no "improvements" in the remaster, it’s just janky fast-forward button shit for retarded zoomers who don’t actually want to experience the game. The best way to play the game is emulating the PS1 version at native settings.

Anonymous

>Fast forwarding through repetitive and boring shit is ruining the "true experience"
          Purist retards are pathetic.

Anonymous

wow video games has gameplay that’s repetitive what a crazy concept. go watch movies you adhd zoomer

Anonymous

>Fast forwarding through repetitive and boring shit is ruining the "true experience"
          Purist retards are pathetic.

We need a fast forward for Xenogears. I love the game together but I’m going to learn every line by heart with there being no way to skip it at this point

Anonymous

The only thing Xenogears needed was a cheat to make the text faster, and it’s had that for ages. Playing or replaying a story game that essentially becomes a visual novel out of necessity and wanting to skip the story is dumb. If you’re that familiar with it by now just stop playing it.

Anonymous

>The only thing Xenogears needed was a cheat to make the text faster, and it’s had that for ages
              Thats exactly what I meant and what? How did I never know this
              And whatever man I love the gameplay. I have no clue how others dont. Of course people say that about every rpg

Anonymous

That hack isn’t perfect, and will glitch out if you run through the text before a scene is supposed to end. The game desperately needs a remaster like Saga Frontier’s, in the way how it restores cut content.

Anonymous

I don’t hate the gameplay, I think it’s just fine. But when I replay it I’m not signing up for the gameplay, I’m there for the story.
                And yeah the gameshark code for text speed up has been around for as long as the game has been as far as I’m aware.

Anonymous

Its the same shit gamepley and story didnt change

Anonymous

original on OLED vita is the best way to play. It looks fantastic

Anonymous

which adrenaline screen settings though

Anonymous

>adrenaline
            eww just download it from the store you cheap fuck

Anonymous

Why not just play on your phone with amoled?

Anonymous

The original on Retroarch with XM29+ is the way to go.

Anonymous

I dont remember my game looking like this when I played as a kid. youre a poser

Anonymous

But mine did.

Anonymous

Horribly configured shader, it’s not supposed to make the image dimmer you fucking dumbass.

Anonymous

XM29+ emulates the color profile of a professional NEC television set. Your eyes are just used to bargain bin CRTs your parents could afford.

Anonymous

I’m not talking about the color profile you stupid faggot, I’m talking about the luminance being far too low. Have you ever actually looked at a real CRT? They are fucking BRIGHT and the scan lines are not easily visible unless you are pressing your face against the glass due to the intensity of the glow.

Anonymous

You stupid mouth breather, the NEC XM29 is exactly like that.

Anonymous

Your own image proves you wrong, the scanlines are far less apparent in that photo, and the apparent brightness is much higher.

Anonymous

that can be fixed by changing a single string in the shader file

Anonymous

Those colors are very obviously way too warm. The game was objectively not designed to be viewed with that level of red/orange tint.

Anonymous

right, when you were a kid 3 years ago you played it on an emulator and LCD screen.

Anonymous

to this day i don’t get why people use these filters to make their games look worse

Anonymous

And you never will, zoomer

Anonymous

Sped up battles instantly makes the remaster better than the original.

Anonymous

The best way to experience FF8 is by buying the original garden gnomeel case, get a PS2 and a CRT, make sure you get a PS1 memory card. Lock yourself in your room, but you have to make sure it’s a Saturday morning and no one bothering you, turn off your phone, computer any social diarrhea media. Play Daft Punk’s Around the World, then play the game.

Anonymous

For FF7-FF9, the original was better simply because the game was design for CRT TV.

Anonymous

>no analogue
        >no rumble
        >backgrounds inflated and blurred – looks miles worse than fan efforts

Into the trash it goes.

Anonymous

Remastered doesn’t have analog or rumble, both of which are bigger strikes than you’d think if you had no experience with the original. There was also some mild controversy with the remaster doing away with Siren’s feather pubes, but the other negatives are more substantial.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

tumblr art

Anonymous

are women this shallow

Anonymous

t. uggo

Anonymous

This game had the weirdest obsession with hotdogs. Was this a translation thing from Japanese to English that they didn’t know how to effectively handle? Kinda like how they call the rice balls in Pokemon donuts.

Anonymous

Pretty sure in the original it was some kind of bread. Probably the kind with fancy bean paste fillings that you see in anime, where they fight over who gets them.

Anonymous

Yep.

Anonymous

>the bread is too popular, you can’t get your hands on it at all!

Anonymous

>the inside of the bread is so high you can’t put your hands inside it
            I DON’T GET IT I KEEP DOING MY REPS

Anonymous
              Anonymous

パンの中に = among the (types of) bread
              人気が高すぎて = the popularity is too high
              なかなか手に入らないものもある = there are some that are quite difficult to get your hands on

Anonymous

Your brain is doing literal translations. Start thinking in terms of Japanese phrasing. 中 does not have to mean literally inside.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_o_O7v1ews

Anonymous

You don’t even know English

Anonymous

Wait so they changed it to hotdogs to culturally appropriate it for Burgerblunders?

Anonymous

Because Zell loves hotdogs. Makes sense. Did you see the ending or are you a secondary faggot that never played the game.

Anonymous

Played like 5 hours and gave up from boredom

Anonymous

that makes so much more sense. Pan is serious fucking business in japan.

Anonymous

It’s a localization thing, in every region, hotdogs are a different thing.
        It’s one of the most polarizing localizations in a psx game ever.
        Heck, the french version just goes and fucks with the plot whenever it pleases.

Anonymous

Has anyone done a write-up on all the fuckups of FF8’s translation yet? Usually discussion of its translation starts and ends at bitching about "Whatever" even though I honestly think it’s a very good translation in most instances
          There’s so much more there to complain about.

Anonymous

I tried once to record the entire game with all its text running in 5 emulators at once with 1 controller, like in the image.
            I was hoping to get some native speakers for each language and discuss.
            Got as far as the second CD, before other things in life took my free time, I will probably give it another go sometime soon.

Anonymous

Anonymous

"well, excuse me" would seem really awkward from a teenager, I think this is just differences in Japanese expressions/social attitudes and western ones.

Anonymous

Whatever.

Anonymous

Whatever.

Anonymous

>spoiler text
            Weebs will bitch about things not being literal translations, especially for slang phrases.
            This is especially retarded because translating a slang phrase or expression into something more relevant for the language you’re translating into is the actually important part, otherwise you’d just shove it all into a translation program and leave it at that instead of paying someone

Anonymous

>Bretzels
          Why is this so funny?

Anonymous

>Why is this so funny?

Anonymous

>German version
          >not Mettbrötchen

Anonymous

The worst part is that the French get to talk about pretzels while the german one talks about fucking hot dogs

Anonymous

Getting your hands on the japanese version was way harder than it is now, so translators could do anything they wanted.
          They could essentially rewrite a game and we would be none the wiser. It would take crazy lenghts to notice the script was made up. For example, Working Designs kept putting Clinton, ABBA, that sort of jokes in the games they localized, they didn’t give a single fuck about the original work or customer’s opinions.

Anonymous

I see..
            That explains a lot!
            Its fun to see the differences in each version tho,
            it makes me think about how each region sees the characters in a different shade, and why Squall is considered a crybaby in some places.

Anonymous

>Spaniard version is the worse one

Everytime

Anonymous

>Spaniard
                but it says español not castellano

Anonymous

Except MGS.
                The spanish dub is incredible

Anonymous

>la chachi piruli

Anonymous

>Working Designs
            >non-stop pop culture references and stupid jokes
            >literally making the game harder by altering fundamental mechanics
            >adding in really dumb shit like the gold vortex that sucks away all your gold when you open a chess
            Their localizations were so retarded and in-your-face that they loop back around to being a funny historical curiosity in a way that "eww gamergaters" or "xe was the top moogle at the moogle fighting academy" et al never will

Anonymous

>Every nation has his own food
          >I have "panini", basically "sandwitches" or the most generic word for that.

Anonymous

>bretzels

Anonymous

Pretzels aren’t even that popular in France lmao
          I remember this cringe now

Anonymous

why does squall look so cool?

Anonymous

Eh kills witches and doesnt afraid of anything.

Anonymous

he looks like he fucks women with his penis

Anonymous

not going to lie, as a teenager i always wondered how the game would look if it would look if it was CGI levels of the posters that came with the Brady Games strategy guide.

Anonymous

Looks like a dyke.
          Hell, he even looks like he may have tits.

>game that few people appreciated the first time around
          Love FF8. Hate FF7, whose plot turned out to be leftist propaganda and Greta Tumberg’s fighting fan fiction. Muh ebil corporation is ebil.

If anything, Greta would be some fake activist controlled by Shinra.

I tried once to record the entire game with all its text running in 5 emulators at once with 1 controller, like in the image.
          I was hoping to get some native speakers for each language and discuss.
          Got as far as the second CD, before other things in life took my free time, I will probably give it another go sometime soon.

I remember way back when that squaresoft claimed they’d translate the Italian version directly from Japanese rather than from English.
          Hot dogs became sandwiches (I guess it was the closest to flavoured bread?) and Irvine is complaining about Squall being stoic/never getting startled with anything.

The worst part is that the French get to talk about pretzels while the german one talks about fucking hot dogs

They missed a perfectly good chance to use "baguette"

Anonymous

>daz
          into the trash it goes

Anonymous

Rinoa should eat my hot dog

Anonymous

Worst romance in gaming history.

Anonymous

Filtered

Anonymous

>guy simps over Seifer’s sloppy seconds for 3 discs
          so deep

Anonymous

Seifer was too busy masturbating over Laguna to care about Rinoa

Anonymous

Joke’s on you, Squall: she’s been eating Seifer’s hot dog for a while now.

I don’t know, Squall euthanizing his girlfriend from the future is at the very least an interesting development. The writers said that R=U isn’t true but they most likely forgot about writing it since they used GF during development :^)

Anonymous

[…]

which of them is saying what?

Anonymous

>Geez Squall, you were already this wet?
        >…
        >Whatever

Anonymous

Considering Squalls english catch phrase is "whatever" and Selphie is a train obsessed autist I will let you figure it out

Anonymous

i never played ff8. i just like the way squall looks

Anonymous

guy was the first and last FF protag to look and dress like a normal fucking person.

Anonymous

Doesn’t it make more sense to remake a game that few people appreciated the first time around, and not the one that everyone already liked?

Anonymous

>game that few people appreciated the first time around
        Love FF8. Hate FF7, whose plot turned out to be leftist propaganda and Greta Tumberg’s fighting fan fiction. Muh ebil corporation is ebil.

Anonymous

I’m sorry you let yourself get indoctrinated by insane people online to the point that it stops you from enjoying something you otherwise would have.

Anonymous

Initially, the FF7 plot seemed to me to be stupid nonsense written by a stoned sucker from Greenpeace. My opinion hasn’t changed in twenty years. So fuck off, mate.

Anonymous

>comparing based eco terrorists to brainwashed media puppets

Anonymous

>phoneposter has a political schizoid complex
          shocking

Anonymous

But FFVII is about fighting people who are literally killing the planet. Greta is used to market "green" products. It’s very different.

Anonymous

But that’s wrong. That tard is a fucking mouthpiece for the establishment trying to push their form of energy (which they will control). Mako IS "green energy".
          Meanwhile the FF7 "ecoterrorists" were literally fighting against the green energy controlled by the authoritarians, and very explicitly are in favor of coal and oil energy.

Anonymous

>FF8 stan is a schizo
          Color me suprise

Anonymous

>stan
            Go back faggot.

Anonymous

After the event of FFVII, Cid and Barret got really into oil as a replacement for Mako, they even constructed oilfield and uses oil as a fuel source for the new airship.

Anonymous

Literal mental illness. have a nice day retard.

Anonymous

That’s a big cylinder

Anonymous

I don’t understand, do they fuck themselves with hot dogs instead of eating them?

Anonymous

They love that stuff so much that it’s always sold out so to even see someone EAT it would be a miracle.

Anonymous

Denying your enemy resources is a sound tactical decision

Anonymous

>be french
        >order a hotdog at the restaurant
        >get a pretzel

Anonymous

god the backgrounds look like shit

Anonymous

blame square for losing all the original assets

Anonymous

How is that an excuse though? am I to believe they couldn’t have remade some renders from the 1990s?

Anonymous

It’s not that they couldn’t, its that they knew that hiring graphic artists to do it would eat into the already meager profits of re-releasing FF8

Anonymous
        Anonymous

he can still go the greatest move in all of FF though, Lionheart baby! fuck these bitches!

Anonymous

Among my favorite pairings

Anonymous

there was absolutely nothing interesting about rinoa as a character

Anonymous

Yes there is, like she has insane grip strength

Anonymous

The R=U thing should’ve been part of the game.

Anonymous

There’s not a whole lot of competition just X and IX but I didn’t care for either more or less.

Anonymous

>mfw I’m learning how to draw just so I can make art for these old PS1/PS2 games I love and don’t get much attention from new artists these days

Anonymous

Have fun and good luck

Anonymous

>zell without cafeteria girl
            no

Anonymous

Honestly,,,,,,,,,, Me too.

Anonymous

As it should be. Rinoa was a sheltered upper class snobbish girl pretending to play freedom fighter. She jumped on to Seifer’s dick because he was confident, then on to Squall’s dick just because she thought he looked cute. She threw temper tantrums, was pushy as hell and fucked around when she didn’t get her way. She was a shallow, dumb kid, an accurate portrayal of a stupid teenager.
          As terrible as Rinoa is as a person, that kind of intrusive attitude would believably be one of the few that could penetrate Squall’s introverted walls.

The R=U thing should’ve been part of the game.

That would have made her even less interesting than she already was, and excessively diminish Ultimecia as a character.
          Rinoa is the polar opposite of Ultimecia in fundamental ways.
          Rinoa had the love of parents, friends and significant others in her life. Even if she were to lose Squall, she’s not THAT shallow; Rinoa would have led a life that would let her continue to reach out to people.
          Ultimecia had nothing except fear and hatred from a world of strangers, never once an ounce of love from anyone. So she had ample motive to chose absolute loneliness out of spite. If she were to simply be Rinoa who had a full happy life but got the sads when Squall died, Ultimecia would be an unbelievably pathetically written character.

Anonymous

There’s plenty, you’re just too buried up your own ass about trying to hate everything about the game that you can’t see it.

Anonymous

youre fucking dumb man

Anonymous

It’s bizarre how polarizing this game is considering it’s like the 3rd or 4th most sold PS1 game. I absolutely it, for the record.

Anonymous

You absolutely what?
        You absolutely WHAT?

Anonymous

I absolutely love it, sorry.

Anonymous

>I absolutely it, for the record.
        Agreed, FF8 is probably one of the games ever made

Anonymous

yeah i felt really strongly about it too

Anonymous

I like the game for the exact reason it is not like all the others and went off in a confusing janky direction. The real combat system was the card game. Most of the plot is disjointed or feels like something got confused. Like the "reveal" of them being all in the orphanage is done on a broken up basketball court, instead of coming across the orphanage itself for example.
        Squall is funny mess as a character, especially with the idea for SEED time loop shit.
        It mentions the war with the sorceresses and i would have hoped that had more bearing on the plot that it did. But all that is lost in TIME KOMPRESSION.

Anonymous

I like the setting a lot, it feels home-y. It’s modern but not too much, for the most part of course. I also like the whole time loop plot, I think they let the right amount of things unexplained for this to remain memorable.

Anonymous

Yea, but it does cross in to being too vague at places.
            They under explain the war. You have 0 idea who the Galbadian army are when you first see them other than comic boobs. SEEDs themselves seem to be also a world power as well, instead of just mercs and the world seems a lot more empty of places for such and advanced level of world.
            Sure Esthar is all SiFi, but Galbadia is supposed be a sprawling metropolis..

Anonymous

Remember:
      Localizations are not translations.
      Translations should be a mixture of learning and fun. We should know about both the in game world and the culture of the people that made the game. Not inject pop culture into every other sentence.

Anonymous

Brock’s jelly donuts

Anonymous

would a guy that acts like and looks like Squall be able to get girls IRL?

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

Projared told me this FF SUCKS!

Anonymous

For once, (((pro))) rapist is right about something. Shocker.

Anonymous

He’s a retard who got filtered by thinking you have to draw magic all the time

Anonymous

Why didn’t the Balamb chef just make more fucking hot dogs

Anonymous

The fucker know there is demand so he keeps supply low to keep the demand high and to inflate the prices

Anonymous

>Why didn’t NVidia just make more fucking GPUs

Anonymous

The fuck is happening with Quistis’s face there, did they tried to save some time on rendering by removing her fucking eyes and nose? Jesus.

Anonymous

Surprised battle highschools harems never invaded video games like they did anime 10 years ago with stuff like Infinite Stratos.

Anonymous

Fuck FFVIII

Anonymous

Based. Spoony was right. We just didn’t want to admit it.

Anonymous

Who?
          Also, this is now a Xenokino thread.

Anonymous

Thanks for being one of the zoomers that makes me ashamed of the games I like.

Anonymous

Ok tranny.

Anonymous

God I fucking love FFVIII, it’s entirely my jam.

Anonymous

do there exist any FF games where you can cuck someone?

Anonymous

Every Final Fantasy tried some genuinely cool ideas and the music somehow got better and better as they went along but most aren’t worth playing in 2021 outside of just trying to understand when the series references itself. I’d say 1, 5, and 10 aged well. 11 didn’t age well but was so ahead of it’s time that even in decay it’s one of the best RPGs out there. If you did play most/all of the previous ones FF9 becomes cool but is skippable if you skipped the others. 8 is infinitely better than the haters and minmaxing autists say, especially in the first 2 discs and the Laguna stuff, but I can’t in good conscience recommend anyone dedicate the time to fishing it just for it’s own sake.

Anonymous

Almost everything you typed is incorrect.

Anonymous

Hmm, you’ve made some interesting points there. I will be sure to reexamine those specific things you’ve challenged me on and am glad we could agree about those other things

Anonymous

>FF3, 4, 6, 7 and 9 didn’t age well
        >but FF1 did
        wtf

Anonymous

>1 aged poorly and 7 didn’t
          I see you started gaming around the later 1990s

Anonymous

You have to be either a lunatic or a massive CTB / FFX fanboy to think FF1 aged better than 7.

Anonymous

The versions of FF1 with the original mechanics intact have objectively more stimulating gameplay than FF7. You have to think about your actions more because spells are more limited and your attacks don’t automatically re-target. On top of that, you aren’t waiting for bars to refill constantly which prevents simply playing the game from feeling like a tedious chore.

Anonymous

For me remembering last actions and such were huge qol improvements I’d rather not play without. Chrono Trigger bringing in ATB was nice but I hate the trend FF has been dancing with of spells being limited use items. Some magical fantasy world.

Anonymous

You sir are a tedious chore. FF1234 are utter dogshit and pretending to like them doesn’t make you special.

Anonymous

1 doesn’t have ATB so it’s automatically better than most of those. Plus it gives you meaningful variation in playthroughs (which is a core aspect of what an RPG is supposed to be) by making you lock yourself into a restrictive combination of classes. 1 is unironically one of the best games in the series, although many of the other mainline games are so bad that’s not exactly saying much.

Anonymous

So it has absolutely nothing to do with "age" and everything to do with the games not lining up with what you think an RPG is.

Anonymous

I’m not the guy you were initially responding to, I don’t give a fuck about "aging" or whatever. FF1 is just a much better game than something like FF2, 4, 6, 9, etc. because it has better gameplay and much higher replayability.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I never beat ff8. What ever happens to the guy in the beginning with the big ears? Seiffer or whatever. (the guy who cuts Squall’s face)

Anonymous

I know they weren’t hotdogs in the japan version. Where they yakisoba pan?

Anonymous

They never specify beyond パン in the JP version.

Anonymous

I guess we’ll never know.

Anonymous

Melon bread in the JP ver.

Anonymous

Fresh melon bread is the shit.

Anonymous

https://legendsoflocalization.com/squalls-whatever-line-in-japanese-final-fantasy-viii/

I’m honestly impressed no one bothered to re-translate FF8. Kiseki autists translate more for free all the time, I guess people just don’t care anymore.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

What the fuck is he even saying? Hot dogs are popular but you’ll be lucky to see it?

Anonymous

I believe it’s saying that the hot dogs sell out quickly, so you’d be lucky to even catch a glimpse at one.

Anonymous

you eat hot dogs after buying them, so just because a bunch of people buy them all doesn’t mean you’re likely to see one

Anonymous

the mystery…it grows!

Anonymous

But if its so popular that everyone is eating it, would it be MORE LIKELY you’ll see someone with it?

Anonymous

FF8 was the first FF game I played for PSX. I had a SNES and played FF6, though. I told my parents I wanted FF7 for my birthday and they got me FF8. Later that year my parents bought me FF7 for Christmas.

Anonymous

OK

Anonymous

What is psx?

Anonymous

I can’t believe i liked this trash game as a kid, children are so fucking stupid.

Anonymous

It did have soul.
      > Flashback to FF7 Remake
      Can’t wait to see how they’ll fuck it up. Jesus Christ just stop. Do re-releases and not remakes. Goodwill is burning away.

Anonymous

When I was young one of the first "hentai" images I found was of a big tiddie’d Quistis with glasses and yoghurt all over her face.
      Jerked it hundreds of times to that pic, never played the game, probably never will.

Anonymous

>yoghurt
        Anon… it’s time to accept the truth.

Anonymous

game?

Anonymous

zoom zoom

Anonymous

yes, but having played the original VII I never would’ve guessed it’s VIII. I know they’re all different but damn

Anonymous
        Anonymous

only a problem if i’m trying to lose a specific card to someone

Anonymous

Losing cards to create new ones was a really stupid mechanic. Only know I remember that you have a hint in game was Caraway with Ifrit’s

Anonymous

caraway tells you straight up that he won’t use rinoa’s card unless you lose ifriit to him
            i don’t recall if he specifically mentions who he loses ifrit to, but i’m fairly sure he does
            queen of cards tells you specific cards to lose to her and what she’ll create, but doesn’t tell you who will have the new card
            iirc she tells you her son will have the cards you lost to her, so you can get them back there
            yeah, thinking about it some of them were pretty vague

Anonymous

never did any of these. any worth using? i only ever make a point of getting Gilgamesh for the holy wars.

Anonymous

other than collecting 100%, not really. If I recall correctly, you can still get everything on disc 4

Anonymous

If there is one thing I hate about TT it’s having to interact with this traitorous piece of shit and even lose to him.
              Fuck Caraway

Anonymous
        Anonymous

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anonymous
        Anonymous
        Anonymous

Literally stopped a playthrough of this once because this happened and I realised I hadn’t saved for a few hours and couldn’t be bothered going back.

Anonymous

When I was a kid I did a playthrough where I abolished the random rule everywhere, even in space

Anonymous

hahah so random xD

Anonymous

Just beat Disc 1 for the first time
      Weird game. It feels more like a game inspired by FF1-7 than being a game made by the FF team themselves.
      Like I can see a lot of the elements of FF6 and 7 in here but there’s less refinement in the same direction as FF1-7 and it’s much more expanding on specific mechanics from the previous games rather than refining them into a more elegant tool. Lots of the Esper system in here.
      That being said, I do like it. It’s weird and I can already feel the non-Squall, non-Rinoa party members fading into the background as I play

Anonymous

oh man. you are going to get filtered hard anon. i wish you luck though on the restart.

Anonymous

I’m happy I watched a video about how the Junction system actually works. Don’t worry, I know about the bullshit level scaling and how you gotta be farming AP using the Card command and maxing out spell quantities.
          I just wish I could figure out where to get weapon upgrade materials

Anonymous

ok cool. weapon upgrades aren’t super important. selphie’s is pretty good because of the max hit. squall gets better renzokuken, but lionheart isn’t even necessary for omega. cool to have though.

Anonymous

people massively, massively overstate the effect of level scaling
            it is genuinely not as big a deal as people make it out to be
            vast majority of people get filtered by a specific boss because up to that point they were spamming GFs for every fight and it worked perfectly, but doing that against this boss will result in a game over and there’s no way to backtrack out of the area to try and change your setup

never did any of these. any worth using? i only ever make a point of getting Gilgamesh for the holy wars.

only if you want to find all the cards, only card you really need is quistis to get triples early to cheese the game without having to grind spells/cards (can also just sell occult fan from the library, buy cottages, refine curagas to cheese early)

Anonymous

I remember trying to get jumbo cactuar as a kid and forcing arm spasms to max boost on leviathan to do 9999 damage

Anonymous

absolutely anon. fucking impossible. i had blocked out this memory but here it is. thank you, had a laugh.

Anonymous

Most of the weapon upgrade materials are refined from monster materials
            You’ll probably end up with the right materials by accident, except for rare things like adamantoise shell or whatever it is

Anonymous

and pulse ammo

Anonymous

>I can already feel the non-Squall, non-Rinoa party members fading into the background as I play
        They absolutely fade away, especially Quistis who honestly has no point in the story beyond the Ifrit Cave tutorial

Keep Zell in your party as much as you can, he has a lot more extra dialogue and random lore dumps than the others. Zell is the most wordly party member.

Anonymous

>especially Quistis
          Which is a shame since it seemed like she had something interesting going on after her talk with Squall in the training area. They never followed up on that so she just became a static character.

Anonymous

I don’t understand what he means by this

Anonymous

FF8 is my favorite game ever and I pray to god every day so we don’t get any kind of remake.
      I’m literally waiting for some chaotic event in which Square Enix goes bankrupt.

After FF7 Remake, Resident Evil ones, etc, I just know they will destroy my childhood and make an homosexual action rpg remake made for zoomers with gay+chinese looking Squall and Rinoa. Thinking about it makes me hate the world so much and I’m sure this will happen eventually.

Why don’t they just make new games and fuck off?

Anonymous

Fortunately, 8 filtered a lot of people. The game would be turned into another shitty 7r/kingdom hearts like game. Can’t imagine how much more they would ruin the plot after what happened with 7

Anonymous

The devs are fuck heads that cannot process the fact that we wanted the same game with updated graphics and that’s it. Be glad no one else is gonna get the 7 remake treatment.

Anonymous

>same game but pretty graphics
          I don’t believe anyone when they say this because the gameplay loop of fucking 7 is EXTREMELY fucking slow and tedious since stat growth is extremely tied to levels and materia setup, and you can’t even make stat boosting items until the third disc.

Anonymous

Believe it you silly goose. It’s classic jrpg combat, where as since X-2 they’ve changed the combat system every game and it all ends up sucking shit.
            >tedious
            Yes, no shit. Welcome to a jrpg and grinding.

Anonymous

>X-2
              >shit combat
              Your continued revealing of your shit taste is noted.

Anonymous

It’s so sad that the best ATB combat is behind all that crap. Plus a mini roguelike mode

Anonymous

yeah. i love vii but the thought of replaying it is…not exciting. i got addicted to the 3x speed in 8 and can’t go back.

Anonymous

I don’t think it would be that bad.
        I just don’t want them because both voices chosen for Rinoa we’re fucking god awful abominations.

Anonymous

I’m the total opposite anon, VIII is the one game that deserves a remake due to how much potential it has. The original was an ambitious title with a lot of neat ideas that aren’t always executed well. Stuff like the school setting, SeeD rankings, Junction, and GFs were all good ideas that weren’t fleshed out properly. The time ghosts would also fit perfectly in that game too unlike VII.

Fortunately, 8 filtered a lot of people. The game would be turned into another shitty 7r/kingdom hearts like game. Can’t imagine how much more they would ruin the plot after what happened with 7

VIIR’s combat is good though. I think we all accepted that mainline FF is no longer going to be turn based and the gunblade would look cool in real time. VIII had some slight action elements in its combat anyways with its limit breaks.

Anonymous

Let’s be real, 8 may have a wonky combat system, but at least it’s properly paced and actually boss fights unlike 9.

Anonymous

I haven’t played 9 in years but it’s amazing how they nerfed everything that made 8 so imbalanced. Trance is awful/random and the card game was badly programmed and gives you no rewards whatsoever

Anonymous

I’ve always wondered what food they talked about in the Japanese version.

Anonymous

dog meat

Anonymous

Sweet bread I believe

Anonymous

please
      i need the comic of squall getting teased and bullied for his choice in GF

Anonymous

>ff7r
      >ff9 will have a anime and supposedly a remake too
      FF8bros….

Anonymous

Unironically the whole time travel ghosts and ff7r mechanics would fit ff8, SEED missions etc.

Anonymous
          Anonymous
        Anonymous

I don’t want a remake, I don’t want them to touch it at all

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Wow he’s just like me

Anonymous

No, he’s incredibly handsome and women approach him to say as much
          He’s nothing like us

Anonymous

Do people miss the point that being the best looking guy there doesn’t necessarily mean that he looks good? Is the joke here a dual-layered joke and the artist is pretending to be retarded?

Anonymous

you’re overthinking it

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Jesus Squall is legit autistic

Anonymous

he’s remarkably well adjusted for an orphan who grew up as a child soldier

Anonymous

Is Final Fantasy VIII the greatest pleb-filter of all time? So many threads have I seen over the years, yet very few people even understand the plot at all, 90% of people don’t even know who Ultimecia is in the storyline, let alone what she represents thematically..

It’s so weird. literally like releasing A Tale of Two Cities between Amazing Spiderman issues 31 and 32 or something.

Anonymous

No one is filtered by the story (well, maybe total brainlets I guess), they’re filtered by the absolute jank that junction is, breaking the game by like hour 4.

Anonymous

>No one is filtered by the story
          I have NEVER seen anyone discuss it properly here. I think they were filtered by it..

> they’re filtered by the absolute jank that junction is, breaking the game by like hour 4
          It doesn’t though, unless you specifically seek to do just that. Might as well complain that the game is game genie compatible or whatever.

Anonymous

>unless you specifically seek to do that
            not even, you can absolutely (and most people DO) stumble upon the broken shit. way to correlate the game’s broken systems put in by devs to cheating though. Says all I need to know about you, kek.

Anonymous

You have to use card mod to transform cards that you can only get by grinding triple triad and knowing exactly what to do.
              >says all I need to know about you, kek
              mmmmmm maybe a little more sodium chloride next time….

Anonymous

Go back to plebit, faggot.

Anonymous

No.
        It’s just a game with needlessly complex battle systems and a trainwreck of a story that not even it’s creator can properly explain.
        Keep coping.

Anonymous

literally filtered

Anonymous

Filtered by a bad game, yes. There is a reason why nobody ever discusses that game in positive light.

Anonymous

You literally admit your problem with the game is that it’s "too complex" and you didn’t have it "explained" to you. Actual, factual textbook filtering. And you’re mad at me for pointing it out.

Anonymous

>needlessly complex battle system
          Wut? If anything it was stupidly easy unless you skip a tutorial like a 7 yo kid. The story is notgood butfar from being a trainwreck with Squall and Rinoa’s romance being the worst part of it.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

this is supposed to be like one of those super popular jap school lunch breads with fried noodle between? but they localized it to hot dogs? lol

Anonymous

Why wouldn’t they localise it?

Anonymous

nothing wrong with localizing but what they did there was lazy and it only managed to turn a reasonably normal situation in one language into a bizarre farce in another.

Anonymous

I don’t understand why it’s even weird, though. Why is it lazy? Why is it a bizarre farce now?

Anonymous

obsessing over hot dogs is not normal behavior in the culture the script has been adapted for

Anonymous

Did you go to a school? Honest question, you might have been homeschooled. Kids legit got excited on burger day in my school, and there was that one kid who would stay behind on that day when everyone else went to the playground because he could get seconds.

People do the same thing in prisons. In a closed society, people obsess over weird little luxuries.

Anonymous

>Kids legit got excited on burger day in my school
                  This is an American thing. Regular countries don’t have schools that feed the students. You bring your own food or pay for it in the cafeteria. And education is free.

Anonymous

I’m from the UK. Back when I was having school dinners, this was certainly a thing.

Having worked in a lot of Asian schools, they have cafeterias, obviously. Because they’re all boarding schools.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

If they didn’t localize it it would have been decried as weeb shit just like any other non-localized instance of something Japanese. You should see how normies react to that shit, it’s like it repulses them on a primal level. To them, Japan is sushi and pedos.

Anonymous

This game is dogshit. Just play 9 if you want real soul.

Anonymous

9 is the safest, most generic and most boring shit ever and thus soulless
        you got filtered by kino

Anonymous

Defend the hotdogs at all cost.

Anonymous

>no good lewds of Quistis
      Everybody on this planet is gay.

Anonymous

Reminder that Squall has the best leadership qualities out of any of the Final Fantasy protagonists. His party was the most incompetent group of misfits ever and he somehow led them on a mission to save the world and succeeded.

Anonymous

Should I give VIII another shot bros? It really rubbed me the wrong way when I tried it years ago with the kinda boring cast and what seemed like overly convoluted systems thrown at you right out the gate. IX is my favourite so maybe I just have shit taste, depending on who you ask.

Anonymous

FF8 is utter garbage. I can’t stand the level scaling and that you get punished for leveling up. Why did they even have levels in this game?

Anonymous

>you get punished for leveling up.
        Higher level enemies have stronger spells to draw and drop better items that refine into stronger magic

Anonymous

As long as you stay on top of junctioning level-appropriate magic to your stats which becomes available from higher level enemies, there’s no problem with leveling in the game. Your problem was being level 72 and still having Thunder attached to your Strength stat.

Anonymous

Doesn’t squall already have a perfect hit stat without needing to junction anything to it?

Anonymous

Indeed he does

Anonymous

>leaving an empty slot, even if you don’t need to fill it

Anonymous

>he played with knowledge of level scaling
        >he didn’t use action replay to cheat his party to level 99 thinking it would make him unstoppable

Anonymous

>crt-royale-xm29plus
      >picture looks way too warm, hella gay
      >13 shader passes and handdrawn pixel shading that’s intended to produce smooth curves still has jaggies

>crt-royale-xm29plus+ntsc-adaptive
      >lookin’ kinda cool there
      >beautiful smooth arcs, thanks to Superb Video emulation
      >Squall not shying away from his heritage, his shylocks and schnoz proudly on display

Anonymous

>is…is that a joke about a student really liking hot dogs
      >AAAHAHHH NO WHAT IS THIS I CAN’T COMPREHEND HELP ME HIROHITO

Anonymous

These enemies were definitely soul

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.