This is what the artists intended. Take the CRT pill.

Home Forums A haunted junk yard This is what the artists intended. Take the CRT pill.

• This topic has 280 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 62 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

This is what the artists intended. Take the CRT pill.

Anonymous

Yeah ok but Wizardry fucking sucks so it doesn’t matter.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Right looks better
        More crisp, more colorful, can really appreciate the sprite artists’ work

Anonymous

are you blind….oooohhh wait you are.
          what the artists intended was the image you see on the left,the full image that looked like anime char without separated colors or other stuff that get lost if not using CRT,for example you don’t even know those are palm leaves on the right yet is clear as day on the left.

Anonymous

no dude. the designers had 4k lcd screens in the 90s, they wanted me to see crisp pixels.

Anonymous

sorry retard, the sprite artists made these with the explicit intention of it looking like the left

Anonymous

Stop posting this image where both look like shit and get some actual images you shitposting trog

WTF LCD bros

anti-CRT fags literally CANNOT recover

Anonymous

Stop posting this image where both look like shit and get some actual images you shitposting trog

Thumbnail makes right superior.

Anonymous

stop zooming in. just share the entire game screen. then people will see the appeal of CRT.

Anonymous

Right looks better fight me

Anonymous

no. youre not allowed to have a different opinion. you are personally attacking me by disagreeing with me. the world is my safe space.

Anonymous

Left better

right is better

the coloring upon the ninja looks more distinct and it’s clear the artist purposely made it to take advantage of CRT, but the art overall looks good regardless
        Despite everything it all ultimately depends on the specific game and artist, some just make as good art as they can regardless of visualizing tool do while others who are experienced with the technology like to take make use of it.
        there’s no point in arguing about this as a overall all consuming decision when this is clearly a case by case topic

Anonymous

Okay now let’s back up from the screen a little, since your trick is to the resize the image to way larger than it actually is. Now which one looks better?

Anonymous

Right side

Anonymous

The character sprites never appear that small in game relative to the screen size, so what the hell is your image supposed to prove?

Anonymous

They are never as big and blown up as the other image, so what the hell is the original supposed to prove?

Anonymous

To show the difference on whatever display you are using because it’s hard to reproduce what your eyes see in real life when compared to a picture on a screen.

Anonymous

it would be better just to show the full screen and upload two photos, or make it into a gif. dont zoom in. it’s not accurate to how you would actually see it. just give an accurate example and let anons decide for themselves. like

Anonymous

OR it’s because when you resize it a million times the blurred crt image looks "better" because the other side shows all the pixels, which look blocky because you upscaled them 600% their original size. For reference, here’s what the Mai sprite looks like in game at the original resolution.

Anonymous

look how small your pic is… you only play on 2"x2" screen? stop taking screenshots directly through the emulator.

Anonymous

Are you denying that Neo Geo games run at 304×224 resolution?

Anonymous

no. im denying that your screen is that small. your display blows up the image, unless youre on a pocket emulator or something.

Anonymous

they run at that resolution but TV crt are all 720×480 (no matter the size)
                      >but the emu says
                      doesn’t matter since was too expensive to get smaller resolutions on crt in fact the only tv with smaller res are black and white

Anonymous

>they run at that resolution but TV crt are all 720×480 (no matter the size)

Which is about 2x-3x original resolution, not 6x. Which is what

is. 600% it’s original size.

Guess about how much the times the original resolution the image I posted here

Okay now let’s back up from the screen a little, since your trick is to the resize the image to way larger than it actually is. Now which one looks better?

is? :^)

Anonymous

you are either baiting or bullpooping since that doesn’t look like it should,take a picture without the bilinear filter next time since modern tvs or hd crt will show all the sprites and not the bilinear filtered image you show

Anonymous

we don’t play on 4 inch screens anon

Anonymous

thats 4 inches? fuck. my flacid dick is bigger (less small) than i thought…

Anonymous

do you play your games in a tiny window? probably not… your picture isnt an accurate representation of what you actually see in the game.

Anonymous

take a screen shot with your OS’s built-in screenshot tool instead of the emulators screenshot tool. you have a good argument, but you are doing a bad job of defending your argument.

Anonymous

Oi Faggot. This game was designed for and played in the arcade, about one foot from the screen. Good job outing yourself.

Anonymous

nice try but the one on the right has bilinear filtering

Anonymous

no the photo is just small. he resized the pic in this post

if thats bilinear filtering, its doing a bad job.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Right looks better

Anonymous

water looks better on the left

Anonymous

Nah it’s more colorful and defined on the right

Anonymous

it not only has literally less colors on the right, but there it’s just straight lines of blue pixels instead of flowing water

Anonymous

This Shinobi is such a great game.

Anonymous

The developers clearly took into consideration the blurriness and softening of the image, but other CRT "features" are just a meme. Use bilinear and call it a day. Don’t @ me

Anonymous

bilinear looks like ass tho

Anonymous

So is CRT.

Anonymous

WTF LCD bros

Anonymous

Looks really good

Anonymous

I can see your picture thru my LCD

Anonymous

>I can see your picture thru my LCD
          what are shaders in an emulator?

Anonymous

nice shader anon.

Anonymous

Which shader is it?

Anonymous

crt-royale-xm29
          I don’t really like how it fucks with the colors but the rest is very nice

Anonymous

thnx
            CRTs had a limtied color gamut, that may be that.

Anonymous

Outside of dithering, which can just use selective bilinear, it just looks browner.

Anonymous

The dithering looks better this way than with any kind of bilinear, sorry. Also, all of the lines look smoother, not just thanks to dithering. Look at the neon arrow sign on the right, or the ferns.

Anonymous

I’m playing this game right now without CRT and it does not look like that.

Anonymous

>proof that shaders in an emulator are better than hardware
          looks like i dont need to waste hundreds on a crt now.. yay.

Anonymous

you can use emulators and internal shaders or reshade in case of not being supported (for example retro style games look better with reshade CRT but not all of them since some are just plain shit like undertale,that won’t get fixed by anythig at all,mugen well can be fixed and has been proved,certain emulators without shader support or have slow unoptimized shaders add reshade will be better)

Anonymous

this is what i do. i was thinking about saving up for a CRT, but that anon said the shader looked better than his CRT, so ill save my money and stick with shaders.

Anonymous

PC doesn’t count, ps1 had smallass resolution

Anonymous

Is there some filter that manages to use the dithering from old games like a CRT would but without the black lines?
        Biliniear filtering looks ok some times but never really manages to look perfect, maybe the black lines remove just enough pixels so that your brain fills in the gaps but CRT filters on LCD displays always looks off thanks to the lines eirher being way to big or being too small, it always looks like you are smashing your face against the glass on an old CRT when it’s turned on.

Anonymous

You need a very advanced processing to replicate all the CRT effects on an LCD screen.
          >it always looks like you are smashing your face against the glass on an old CRT when it’s turned on.
          Yeah, I have no idea who actually plays with these filters. They look like absolute shit compared to bilinear. It’s like people who have never seen a CRT display are playing pretend, makes me sad.

Anonymous

>it always looks like you are smashing your face against the glass on an old CRT when it’s turned on
          That’s just what it’s gonna look like when you blow up a 320p or whatever image to a 27 inch screen. Just sit farther away.
          I’ll recommend Lottes CRT shader though. It actually does shadow masks so scanlines are a lot less pronounced.

Anonymous

epsxe lets you adjust scanline size. or like other anon said, just sit farther away.

Anonymous

I ALWAYS KNEW I REMEMBERED IT LOOKED BETTER

Anonymous

I HATE CRITICAL RACE THEORY!

Anonymous

Phone pictures of CRTs are also misleading. Youll only see the true vision if you set it up yourself.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

wtf is this real???

Anonymous

Yea

Anonymous

Don’t most emulators have a CRT filter? I don’t understand why this is so controversial. Play whichever one you think looks better. What, do you need people to TELL YOU which one looks better?

Anonymous

how do you install those filter in retroarch?

Anonymous

a filter is just a filter it will never look like a CRT

Anonymous

THIS so much

Anonymous

I don’t currently play any 8/16 bit games, nor do I have desk space for a giant piece of shit crt monitor

Anonymous

That’s cool anon, I totally would if it weren’t for faggots like you all over 4ch, twitter, youtube etc. that have driven the prices up like a motherfucker.

Anonymous

it’s not what the artists intended,it’s what they had to settle for

Anonymous

its literally what they designed on.. the artist used CRTs while drawing out their pixels… fucking retard.

Anonymous

CRT sucks

stop it, stop this trolling it’s way too much, it triggers my autism so bad

Anonymous

It’s not trolling. The image is accurate. The people in this thread are ACTUALLY advocating for CRT, or at least a good filter.

Anonymous

No and stop pretending more than 2 or 3 people are in favor of crt and it’s filters

Anonymous

anon I don’t know how to tell you this but not everyone who disagrees with you is a small but dedicated group of trolls

Anonymous

>there are only 2 or 3 people in the world who disagree with me
              solipsism is a dangerous game, anon…

literally 2.

>anon I don’t know how to tell you this but not everyone who disagrees with you is a small but dedicated group of trolls

No it’s just a small group of imbeciles.

Anonymous

>the two people who bothered responding to me are the only two people in the ENTIRE WORLD who disagree with me
                this is your brain on autism and too much Ganker…

Anonymous

You really think people prefer CRTs over newer screens? Anon i hate to tell you this but you are projecting and you are borderline delusional.

Anonymous

yes. i think some retro game players prefer to play their games on era-specific displays, or use filters to emulate era-specific displays. and i think some games (specifically ps1) look better with a filter (even if i hate the fucking dot matrix)

Anonymous

people prefer them for retro games, not overall. Why are anti-crt fags so exceptionally dishonest?

Anonymous

Pre early 2000s games look and play superior on a CRT

Anonymous

hmm nah

Anonymous

They factually do.

Anonymous

>delusional

implying…….

Anonymous

anon, you clearly don’t know anything about display technology. your understanding boils down to
                    >newer=better
                    it was never so cut and dry. plasma was a downgrade from CRT, and it took LCD a LONG time to correct the inherent problems it had that weren’t present on CRTs.
                    besides that, CRT has fundamental artifacts that were leveraged with techniques such as half-pixel bleeds, to increase the fidelity of graphics. CRT or emulating these artifacts through filters/shaders is absolutely the best way to view retro games that WERE DESIGNED for them

Anonymous

>there are only 2 or 3 people in the world who disagree with me
            solipsism is a dangerous game, anon…

Anonymous

>they’re trolls
            anon, why do CRTs make you mad? why do you assume people are trolling when they post shit that obviously shows the objective advantages of CRT artifacts on graphics that were intended to leverage them?

Anonymous

it’s not the CRT it’s the people. I’m ok with CRT monitors and some CRT tvs like the one that animefag posted, cause you can tell it’s a CRT made for PC-98, but 99% of the time its just some weird delusional troll faggot posting a tv from 90s or the 2000s that looks like aids.
              I don’t care if you are poor just stop pretending that it’s better than modern monitors and emulators.

Anonymous

a good CRT is a luxury item these days, its poorfags who can’t have one. it’s not ‘better’ than modern monitors, but it was in a lot of ways, for a long while (and still is for retro gaming, the topic of this thread). shaders do a very good job when you’ve got a good display/PC, but they’re not perfect in their recreation
                the motion resolution on a good CRT is still something that tends to outperform a lot of modern monitors.
                I’m not going to use a CRT exclusively. a good, high-end modern monitor has a swathe of advantages for use with an equally modern, high-end PC. but CRTs weren’t just instantly obsolete the second flat-screen monitors/TVs released

Anonymous

is there a software for this if I don’t wanna bother setting up filters in every single emulator and game I own?

Anonymous

there’s retroarch. it’s simple enough to load the shader in a couple of clicks. there is also crt shaders ported over from retroarch to work with reshade (and any game that allows reshade to work).

Anonymous

that’s cool, thanks

Anonymous

using crt-royale port to reshade

Anonymous

That’s possibly one of the best shaders out there. I’ll be sure to use it with Retro games ports on PC.

Anonymous

Will it cause screen burn in?

Anonymous

not anymore than it would without a shader

Anonymous

>It’s another one of these fucking CRT/LCD faggotry threads

Anonymous

>it’s another seething LCDzoomer

Anonymous

>its another coping crt boomer with poor eyesight
          no one cares how much money you paid for your shitty 50 year old tv dude.

Anonymous

>zoom zoom zoomie zoom zoom
            Whatever you say kid, now lay off the tide pods.

Anonymous

>he unironically plays with a CRT

Anonymous

>He unironically plays with a LCD

Anonymous

>He unironically takes LSD

Anonymous

why wouldnt you? Anti-crt fags are starting to lean into genuine delusion

Anonymous

>zoom zoom zoomie zoom zoom
            Whatever you say kid, now lay off the tide pods.

t. samefag talking to himself and taking screenshots for his subreddit.

Anonymous

That’s not an argument you stupid faggot and I grew up playing NES on a CRT.

Anonymous

>this zoomer larp
            oh no no no!

Anonymous

i remember playing dragon warrior 2 on my hdtv and getting to the caves towards the end. Right around then I got my hands on an old CRT from my parents attic and brought it over to my place. Holy shit, the cave had an entirely different color scheme and all the sudden i could actually discern what the enemy sprites were supposed to be. It really isnt a meme. If you can get your hands on one grab it. A lot of times at yard sales they’ll let you have it just for carrying it off their lawn.

Anonymous

Yeah, I always felt "old" games looked better as a kid. When I grew up and started emulating things I was like wow this all looks like shit what was wrong with me. Recently found an old CRT and old SNES and was kind of amazed

Anonymous

Hey any shader faggots here that can tell me whether or not an OLED monitor or tv makes them actually worth using? Standard monitors aren’t bright enough and don’t have enough contrast to do any shader i’ve tried justice.

Anonymous

>Standard monitors aren’t bright enough and don’t have enough contrast to do any shader i’ve tried justice
        adjust your contrast settings then… either in the display’s menu or your gpu’s control panel… stop using stock settings…

Anonymous

not an answer to my question, thanks for the hot tips though anon.

Anonymous

stop buying shitty monitors/tvs then. get something with a decent amount of nits. i dont understand how a monitor/tv couldnt be bright enough to show a shader. OLED isnt going to change a thing. maybe you just have broken eyes.

Anonymous

anon have you seen a CRT in person or is this some sort of ruse?

Anonymous

CRT only looks good when viewed up close, it’s why these posts only ever show 1 or 2 blown-up sprites
      it’s significantly less impressive from far away, and in most cases looks much worse

Anonymous

yeah i mean its just not true. It’s a weird angle to try and take.

Anonymous

I encourage you to post and example that discredits this

Anonymous

what am i supposed to do? Take a phone picture of a crt from far away so you can say it looks like shit? I played dragon warrior 2 on a hdtv from a livings room distance away and the sprites looked just as incomprehensible from there as it would sitting close. Plugged my nes into a CRT and it looked much better. I mean jesus, if you dont want to hunt for a CRT or pay exorbitant prices from some poopyhole on craigslist i dont blame you but pretending its not objectively better for retro systems is delusional.

Anonymous

the opposite of this is true… crt photos upclose look like blurry shit, from far away they look right. the gif in this post was a good example

WTF LCD bros

Anonymous

The gif in this post looks markedly better even up close.

Anonymous

anon…

Anonymous

anybody got some custom crt/scanline filters? or recommendations?

Anonymous

Is there any way to get crt shaders working on anything?
      I wanted to use crt shaders on the Whiteheas Sonic PC ports and Streets of Rage Remake but reshade only works with certain graphic apis and to my knowledge neither of those are compatible

Anonymous

The same fags who cry that you need to play on CRTs because muh developers vision will go and mod their consoles to output RGB and play on PVMs

Anonymous

it might surprise you to learn what a pvm is

Anonymous

You know what I mean, pedantic faggot, they are not consumer CRTs. PMVs don’t have color bleeding or dithering like consumer CRTs and thus certain effects like the waterfalls in Sonic don’t look right.

Anonymous

>You know what I mean, pedantic faggot, they are not consumer CRTs

I genuinely don’t. Because PVM’s were used for video production AND for game design by high end studios. It’s a CRT. A very high quality one. Sonic 2, and its waterfalls, look indescribably better on one than a typical consumer crt.

Anonymous

>game designers didnt account for consumer hardware and didnt test their art on multiple qualities of display
              you dont know what youre talking about then. sure they use PVMs, but standard consumer grade CRTs were also used… they wanted to know what their games would look like on standard hardware… just like how music producers listen their near-final mix in their car and earbuds to see how their music would sound to most people.

Anonymous

>just like how music producers listen their near-final mix in their car and earbuds to see how their music would sound to most people.

Oh yeah, and thats why so much music sounds inferior on high end setups compared to car stereos. What an insane point to make.

Shit looks better on a pvm. It’s a high quality (and not even the highest end like bvms) crt. They worked on them plenty.

Anonymous

>Oh yeah, and thats why so much music sounds inferior on high end setups compared to car stereos.
                  that wasnt my point… most people dont have high end stereos, and mixers account for this. same with game designers and crts/pvms. most consumers didnt have pvms, so designers would account for this. they tested their work on consumer hardware before they sent it out… retard… you literally have NO IDEA what you are talking about… fix your autism and solipsism.

Anonymous

if you have the money for a pvm, get one. but dont pretend the designers didnt test their art on consumer grade hardware… they intended you to see their games on consumer grade hardware..

Anonymous

what’s wrong with that dude’s face lmao

Anonymous

This is what radioactive CRT screens do to a motherfucker.

Anonymous

>zooming in makes crt even more blury
      why do you fags do this? stop zooming in… just share the whole game screen… youre making your crt shots look way worse than they actually are.

Anonymous

this is not what the artist intended. everyone knows vidya artists in the 90s used modern high resolution LCD OLED displays like we have today… duh.

Anonymous

I’m already locked in.

Anonymous

>DUDE JUST USE A CRT
      where can I get one with HDMI input

Anonymous

why would you use hdmi on a crt? HD consoles hook up to hdtv’s. What is going on here?

Anonymous

Wherever you’d find regular CRTs.

Anonymous

oof. no. dont get one of these. those late era "HD" crts look weird and you cant play light games on them (no duck hunt… )

Anonymous

>light games
            *light gun games

Anonymous

I wouldn’t call the HD ones "regular", and they have similar input lag issues with non-HD games as all HD monitors. Also they weigh like 200~300 lbs depending on the model.

Anonymous

anyone who thinks a CRT is good takes HRT pills

Anonymous

why are you so offended by crt’s being objectively superior for retro games?

Anonymous

best way to enjoy mugen is on CRT even modern ones.
      at least this guy showed how different mugen looks using a CRT shader
      https://gamersnatales.wordpress.com/2021/01/09/mugenryona-r-18/

Anonymous

youre not allowed to have a different opinion from me. none of you are.

Anonymous

>Person selling interesting CRT on ebay
      >Put it on watchlist for 2 weeks but never buy it
      >Seller gives me offer, don’t take it cause broke
      >Offer expires, get paid and send them a message if the offer is still valid
      >"I decided to keep it thanks tho"
      >Listing gone later that day
      UPS would’ve just broke that fucker anyway.

Anonymous

>UPS would’ve just broke that fucker anyway.
        Sometimes the grapes really were sour because that’s exactly what would’ve happened.

Anonymous

craigslist is your friend. put up a request. facebook marketplace is also good. stay in your local area, there are bound to be a couple dusty crts in your town.

Anonymous

I’ve seen what the local offerings are, they’re poverty tier CRT’s with crayon and dogshit all over them. If I want something even remotely cool and worth my time I gotta deal with out of state sellers.

Anonymous

stop being lazy. clean the tv yourself. crayon is water soluble.

Anonymous

go to one of those african countries that got all of our "E-Waste" in the mid 2000s, you might find a good CRT

Anonymous

If the sprite was originally designed on grid paper (Which was quite common back then) then having it blurred to high hell on a CRT is factually not how it was intended to be seen

Anonymous

fuck your crt.

nooooooooooooo dont use logic on my poverty gaming decisions aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa melanoidman save me

Anonymous

unless you already own one, a decent CRT in good conditions is a luxury item compares to an LCD screen

Anonymous

im rich tell me where to buy one

Anonymous

ebay… or does zoomie only know about amazon?

Anonymous

yes, i won’t use ebay nor craiglist.

Anonymous

then youre not getting a crt…

Anonymous

You’re almost right, but unless you’re in a robbery prone area I’d say use Craigslist or Offerup over anything that will ship the TV. It isn’t worth gambling the CRT getting busted, let alone paying an arm and a leg for the shipping costs. And before you think "oh he’s just a poorfag that doesn’t want to drop $100 on shipping" CRTs really don’t do well with shipping companies, they get trashed easily due to their weight.

Anonymous

they intended you to see the game on the hardware available at the time…

Anonymous

This is the stupidest line of logic I’ve read in awhile, that’s like saying a cartoon isn’t supposed to look animated because it was storyboarded first. They used grid paper because they knew what technical limitations they were working with, or do you think Pac-Man being round is a recent concept?

Anonymous

you made me remind of an "anime" of netflix,the shit was just similar to a presentation made on powerpoint in other words just slides with someone talking over it,it was the worst shit i saw.

Anonymous

>you made me remind of an
            *you made me remember

yeah, bitch, i corrected your english. what are you gonna do, fight about it? if i spoke your language wrong, you’d correct me. its not offensive to help people improve their language skills. shiyit nigga.

Anonymous

This is how they did on the 70’s.
        In the 80’s, the studios would have those digitizer table things that would display the graphics on a CRT screen so the artist would have a better hang of it, and also don’t make fucking sprite bibles, as by then, games would easily have over 1000 tiles.

Anonymous

You realise you’re posting a game played on an arcade cabinet, right?

Anonymous

Imagine trying to draw something like this on fucking graph paper

Anonymous

fuck your crt.

Anonymous

MOTHER I HAVE POSTED IT ONCE MORE

Anonymous

Wrong gen idiot

Anonymous

>crt-royale-ntsc-composite

Anonymous

>just bilinear my shit up

Anonymous

it’s the NTSC signal, not bilinear filtering
          plebeian

Anonymous

ive been defending shaders/filters, but sonic looks better crispy, tbh.

Anonymous

muh transparency effects though
              this obviously doesn’t apply to modern pixel sonic like mania since that was designed with an LCD display in mind

Anonymous

>Never The Same Color
            pass
            That metroid pic looks the same at a distance
            Also, GHZ zone waterfall is constantly used as an example, but none of the official rereleases of Sonic 1 pre-mania included shaders IIRC.

Anonymous

>none of the official rereleases of Sonic 1 pre-mania included shaders
              no shit
              rereleases of classic games rarely consider accuracy to the original since they are ROMs downloaded off the internet lazily slapped on an emulator 90% of the time
              hell, the castlevania advance collection, a recent rerelease that had a little thought put into it, came without any sort of color correction to alleviate how garish the games look on a backlit screen

Anonymous

Maybe, but with ammount of content mobile ports had, you would think that there would a least replicate that effect through different texture.

Anonymous

zoomers would think the game broke their phone or some shit.

Anonymous

>advance collection

the what now? why would I buy them again when I have pic/related?

Anonymous

Huh. it never occurred to me that maybe that’s why I could never stomach harmony of dissonance’s visuals.

Anonymous

the ammount of people that don’t know that color correction is a must for GBA games is astonishing

Anonymous

are there any emus that color correct? or do i need to download a shader?

Anonymous

yes vba m latest version has an option to see the proper colors of gba.
                      is something like lcd which allows you to see the proper colors of the game instead of the real colors which retroarch uses (using ntsc shader is not the same)
                      the old vba m had the same option

Anonymous

How do you color correct a purple crocodile into a green crocodile?
                    How would a CRT TV achieve that?

Anonymous

maybe the GBA had its colors mapped like that. more shades of green available (and less of red/blue) because we’re most sensitive to green. makes sense.

Anonymous

or maybe the anon is showing pictures of gba games next to their original snes versions, and isnt actually representing what color correction/filters would do.

Anonymous

I still don’t understand why the fuck retroarch doesn’t have color correction and you have to resort to filters

Anonymous

is not that it is obvious

Anonymous
          Anonymous

what shader anon?

Anonymous
        Anonymous

stop zooming in. it hurts your argument because it makes the crt shader look even blurrier, just upload photos of the full game screen.

Anonymous

i have no argument, I post comparisons for the sake of impartial judgement
          I even think raw pixels look better in many cases

Anonymous

>impartial judgement
            its hard to do that when youre not giving an accurate depiction of either game. show the full screen image, stop zooming in. just upload 2 separate photos.

Anonymous

do you play games with your nose pressed to the screen? all you did was make the dot matrix even more noticeable, something that you dont see when you play the game at a normal distance. just upload a photo of the whole screen. we can physically move our own heads if we need to "zoom" in.

Anonymous

look at that tail

Anonymous

i can see the muscle definition in the asscheeks
        crt really is objectively better

Anonymous
      Anonymous

same thread
      every fuckign day

Anonymous

I can make the game look however I want with the retrotink 5x

Anonymous

step your bait up, OP
      GBA shaders are what mindbreaks people these days, even more when you start talking about color correction to account for the games being oversaturated to hell so they could be played properly on the original GBA with no backlight

Anonymous

play them like you would on the gamecube gba player. dont go full screen (use a border if you want) and a standard crt filter. gba filters would only make sense on a screen the size of a gba screen.

Anonymous

And that’s what you’ll see anyway if you look at your non-CRT screen from a decent distance. Your eyes will do it for you, automatically.

Anonymous

This one give quite a better look on how one of those work.
      They could even mock stuff with the sprites to see the whole composition etc..
      Pretty neat

Anonymous

jesus fuck imagine back in the day having to design games using floppy disks on shit PCs

Anonymous

"Large" programs like Corel Draw legitimately took like 23 floppies to install

Anonymous
        Anonymous

What game, anon?

Anonymous

while doesn’t look bad you made it wrong baka,you need to soften it in fact you are abusing too much of interlace and scanlines
        For mame just a simple Aperture1x2rb_Aaron plus bilinear filtering is enough after that is overkill.
        This is what i use for mame and only that,i don’t use HLSL shaders since are weird,just keep aspect ratio,bilinear filtering and selct those for the game you use
        https://sharemods.com/dg3fl2vi52nj/CRT_mame.7z.html

Anonymous

I sometimes use mame-hlsl for mame/arcade games since after skimming this one post saying it was a nice representation of arcade monitors (most likely incorrect) but it can come off as dull for games so I revert back to CRT-Royale for my preferred "nostalgia scanlines" autism. Pic-related is a comparison between the two. I’ll look into Aperature and see how that fares.
          Thanks for the shader, anon.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

I thought it was a meme until I tried it

Anonymous

With filters on

Anonymous

SOVL

I thought it was a meme until I tried it

Soulless

Anonymous
        Anonymous

now THIS this actually looks good.

Anonymous

But what do you guys think about borders in emulators?

Anonymous

I hate them unless they’re original Super Gameboy borders and even then only when I’m in the right mood.

Anonymous

What’s this thread about?

Anonymous

People arguing over whether raw pixels or some sort of CRT filtering/using an actual CRT is better.

Anonymous

Yeah but a CRT will take up like half my desk space and i need 2 monitors, its just not gonna work, ive tried it

Anonymous
        Anonymous

This one is probably actually fake because it seems very unlikely that a single red pixel would turn into a gradient scaled red like that ONLY HORIZONTALLY.

Anonymous

>doesnt know how scanline/ntsc filters work
          its okay anon. its possible. you dont need to understand it.

Anonymous

old tv did wonders and several people that grew with plasmas or lcd don’t know anything about dithering,gaussian blur,scanlines,interpolation and interlacing which are something common on old tvs so you get images like the one shown on that tweet.
          is not fake is real (i use zsnes on an old tv crt and look like it was the original hardware)

Anonymous

This isn’t pixel art though, it’s just a downscaled drawing

Anonymous

Looks like pixel art to me bro.

Anonymous

And yet it’s not

Anonymous

Nah, they’ve clearly done both. That’s the reference/downscaled base, but it’s very clear that they’ve got actual pixel artists to tidy it up.

Anonymous

No pixel artist would leave the nose as such a mess despite having 25 pixels to work with, the red dots were added but the rest looks like a raw downscale

Anonymous

I’m mobile posting or I’d do it myself, but downscale that image and post results.
                  I really don’t think it’s just a downscale, but I’m interested to find out.

Anonymous

This.

Nope

Anonymous

They’ve definitely done some tidy up with the pixel art, but nowhere close to the amount I thought they did

Anonymous

This.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

what game is that? looks fucking cool

Anonymous

front mission 3

Anonymous

>couldn’t even pick the same frame

Anonymous

the only difference i see is the position of the lights on the floor. its essentially the same frame. im prepared to play spot the difference with you tho, that sounds fun.

Anonymous

I believe a few of these are actually the case. This and the Contra one are believable. Especially if you look at the original art the shading isn’t consistently smooth. It’s blocky. Most of the "it’s intentional" is bullshit though, and most of the time the only shading that is actually done in older game to account for crt is dithering like this. And also using dithering for transparency effects like for shadows and the Sonic the Hedgeghog waterfall.

Anonymous

Just use shaders

Anonymous

what shader?

Anonymous

idk what anon used for that pic, but other anons here are recompensing CRT Royale which is apparently built-in to retroarch, or you can use it with an app called reshade

Anonymous

ntsc 256px gaussian scanline is what it’s called in retroarch
          The effect you have with those Wizardry sprites is really more from the NTSC composite signal this shader emulates than the CRT part.

Anonymous

Which CRT Royale preset should I use? I’m using an LG C6 (4K OLED TV). Is there any recommended configuration?

Anonymous

>Which CRT Royale preset should I use?
        the good one.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

wut game?

Anonymous

Are you for real?
          Yume Nikki

Anonymous

>Are you for real?
            I am for real
            Never meant to make your daughter cry
            I apologize a trillion times
            I’m sorry Ms. Jackson (oh), I am for real
            Never meant to make your daughter cry
            I apologize a trillion times

Anonymous

It’s shit. If you don’t find the hidden bike you are fucked.

Anonymous

wtf bros

Anonymous

its almost like the game was designed on and meant to be played on tvs from its time period, and not emulators on 4k ultrawide LCDs

Anonymous

What should I be looking for in a CRT if I wanna maximize this sort of pixel/color bleeding, in terms of brand, resolution, input method, other attributes, etc

All I’ve gathered via lurking these threads and looking at images is I probably want a shadowmask CRT and maybe one with a lower rather then a higher resolution

Is that right? Ifd I’m looking at a craigslist listing or whatever, how can I actually tell if something is shadowmask or not or if it’s a good model?

Anonymous

Component input

Anonymous

Color bleed is from a poor quality signal, (RF or composite) most people don’t want to go all the way down to RF so most go with composite which is a nice middle ground between shit (RF) and high quality. (s-video, component, rgb)

So pretty much any CRT you find will work for you since every tv in NA has composite unless you buy a really old tv from the 70s or something. The specific brand/screen type won’t matter much when your going for color bleed but it’s always good to get a Sony tv.

Anonymous

I was playing Capcom VS SNK 1 & 2 and Marvel VS Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast emulator in Retroarch.

It’s amazing how bad they look without a CRT shader. Also not all shaders work well, Royale for example pixelates background pictures when they are panned in different directions. Same happens with PS1. But Geom works pretty well and it fixes everything on those games. It’s night and day difference.

Anonymous

Add CRT filter to the options settings.

Anonymous

Baser CRT poster

Anonymous

Who /lottes/ here?

Viewing 62 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.