This thread will fail because it requires intellectual discussion but, here we go:

Home Forums A haunted junk yard This thread will fail because it requires intellectual discussion but, here we go:

Viewing 67 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

This thread will fail because it requires intellectual discussion but, here we go:

>mfw I’m a 40 year old gamer and I have yet to play as single game that had a decent story.

For context purposes I am easily drawn in to a good story on TV and I’m an avid reader of fiction.

If you’re an incel don’t reply. You have no life experience and your favorite literature is the Master Chief saga or Star Wars EU. You don’t know what a good story is.

Anonymous

Disco Elysium.

Anonymous

Ok..that story was DECENT, i will give you that.

Anonymous

Ok..that story was DECENT, i will give you that.

its not a game for one, you fucking incel

Anonymous

Yes it is. You can’t argue that a game isn’t a game just because you don’t like it.

Anonymous

this. also rdr2

Anonymous

The story isn’t that good.

Anonymous

I’m taking a huge shit rn.

Anonymous

Pic or you a liefag

Anonymous

Congrats man, happy Sunday.

[…]

You’re a fag, not a gamer. There are games with good story*, but you have to realize that the story isn’t presented the same way as books where the story is the draw. The story in video games is simpler and shorter, being broken up by the game play segments (you know, the actual media you are consuming, a video game).
        Also to an extent, you have to make the story up as you go. It’s not just the dialogue and cutscenes, it’s what you do in the game, the unwritten bit. The introduction tells you the background and the impetus for your story, but the actions the player takes are part of the story too although they aren’t necessarily described with pages of text or top notch anime VA’s. But, you’re too unimaginative to actually figure that out. You need to be told what is happening at all times, like the 40 year old loser you are.

*As long as the story is contained within 1 game it is usually fine, but if a sequel or the rest of the series attempts to add lore to the first it usually gets muddled up (see Zelda) because a different team is working on it and there are too many inconsistencies.

Btw, you’re a 40 year old faggot loser, did I mention that?

Anonymous

SILENCE

Anonymous

OP here. For more context. I have played about every decent game made since Amiga to now. Im playing Arkham City GOTY on my PC now. I’m loving this game but I could give two fucks about the story. Yeah, yeah, get the bad guys save the city. I’m not depressed or trying to bait or shit post.

Anonymous

>Im playing Arkham City GOTY on my PC now. I’m loving this game but I could give two fucks about the story
        this tells me you have shit taste because city is the worst arkham game

Anonymous

Odin’s Sphere, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, SMT Devil Survivor on the top of my head have all better stories than 90% of TV series. There are a shitload more and you are a disingenuous trolling faggot.

Anonymous

>Outer Wilds
          stopped reading here

Anonymous

Why do americans look so disgusting?

Anonymous

Post pic of yourself with timestamp and walk your shit faggot

Anonymous

umad bro?

Anonymous

>august
            Fake

Anonymous

google reverse image search gives to many results, you have to pic a more obscure pic if you want to try this

Anonymous

What can I say, I’m very popular and everyone keeps posting my photos

Anonymous

Kek. The fact that you saved a pic of some teen on the internet is pathetic and makes you a pedo

Anonymous

the fact that you reverse googled this obvious shitpost is even more pathetic you fucking boomer, immediatly felt insecure huh?

Anonymous

lmao boomer retard haha oh wow

Anonymous

>wants people to post themselves on an anonymous forum
          fuck off back to twitter you fucking bonobo

Anonymous

Ok

Anonymous

He looks fully european, if he’s disgusting he got it from euros. One in three Brits only wash their sheets once a year. Once a fucking year lmao. This is why the black plague started in Europe

Anonymous

I haven’t washed my sheets in 4 years and I’m American

They’re turning yellow by the way

Anonymous

deus ex, thief, some crpgs. thats basically it

Anonymous

pathologic and disco elysium

Anonymous

>If you’re an incel don’t reply
      >backstabbing the only people that give you the time of the day
      in all fields

Anonymous

Don’t care. You don’t understand youngling, you will tell me Mass Effect is an epic space odyssey when your frame of reference for what is good lore is based on your experience with Pikachus back story or Goosebumps stories to judge what is a scary game. Any oldfag reading this will immediately understand

Anonymous

It’s not backstabbing when someone says you’re a faggot to your face. Go melt snowflake.

Anonymous

OP here. I think I figured out my own question. Any story with some epic reveals and plot twists…I mean like __insert your favorite movie here__ type of quality. It’s because that story or script would be worth way more and then be sold as a movie or TV series. Why waste such an epic tale on a vidya game. Fuck that. Let’s sell too the highest bidder so I can snort coke off a trophy wife’s fake tits and live lambo life. We will give those retarded kids another zombie apocalypse isometric game. If I’m right, I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same in that situation if we’re being honest here.

Anonymous

>Any story with some epic reveals and plot twists
        OP thinks a good story is one with "epic reveals and plot twists", we can all go home now

Anonymous

achievable natty?

Anonymous

Play Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Anonymous

Not reading that

Anonymous

based susposter

Anonymous

Dark Souls

Anonymous

vidya isn’t the medium fit for compelling stories
      not that it fundamentally *can’t* but rather writing standarts are so low and nobody really can lift them
      games with well-liked stories are mostly ones that cleverly utilize (you)r direct involvement: s1 of walking dead boosted telltale into prominence because people really felt like they were responsible themselves, and not just another fictional character
      lisa (the painful) is good as a honest straightforward story

regardless, OP as always is a faggot, but this time he’s also a passive agressive melanoidfaggot

Anonymous

I agree anon. I think story in vidya shouldn’t be neglected, but OP is missing something if he’s looking for literature in gaming. It isn’t there and will not appear.
        A book has no need for any of the elements that must appear in a game. The interactive element of vidya does not make the story better in any way, but looks to make the player a part of it. But… you’re not making choices when you’re reading, you’re along for the ride, watching the actions of someone entirely unknown to you. Just as there will never be a CYOA book for the ages, there will never be a vidya story that isn’t better suited for a lit format.
        I liked "Heavy Rain". The elements where you interact with the story were bare, more like, if you failed objectives in a chapter you would see negative consequences later in the game. In a way it was closer to a visual novel than the "action-adventure drama" it was billed as. The more a story is on rails, the more attention you can give to the atmosphere, dialogue, art direction, as opposed to a sandbox that you only have so many hours to fill with stuff… and that stuff isn’t going to be 10/10 masterwork material, it’s going to at best serve a purpose. Heavy Rain did a good job but it clearly didn’t last the test of time.
        I also liked the "Metro" series. The story was fine, and I understand that the games were adapted or influenced by a popular series of novels. But the journey you take through these games brings you through this world that is really visually captivating, adding a lot of context to the greater plot. For sure, if Metro was an uglier, more bare bones games it wouldn’t likely be praised as it is… which is why I think it’s a good example of how vidya can use its own unique strengths to make something special.

Anonymous

How do i become like this?

Anonymous

not achievable natty
        gotta chug corn syrup supplements with every meal

Anonymous

Believe all women

Anonymous

0 exercise. High calorie diet with very little protein. That’ll get you most of the way there.

Anonymous

old people need to stay away from Ganker

Anonymous

>I am easily drawn in to a good story on TV and I’m an avid reader of fiction.
        Detroit Become Human. Not necessarily a great vidya game but a decently told story, for the vidya medium.
        Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons. Just great all around.
        Will be 46 in a month.

We’re the first gen to grow up with video games and will be the first to play them in nursing homes, deal with it.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

PAh

Anonymous

Worst Kirby game I’ve ever played. I think I’ve played them all except the Wii U and 64 one too.
        I like Susie though, obviously.

Anonymous

What is it do you feel games lack in terms of story?

Anonymous

games are not for story.

Anonymous

I appreciate gameplay above all else but to say that games can’t focus on anything else limits what people can do with the medium. There are people who believe cartoons shouldn’t be anything more than slapstick comedy ala old Looney Tunes, which yes those are all great and better comparatively to the crap on TV now, but if cartoons and animation were strictly limited to just that we wouldn’t have things like Akira.

Anonymous

Games are not for story because experiencing a story is inherently passive and not truly interactive.

Anonymous

This is where tiers come in. Akira is great I love it, but it’s still within the realm of pop art, I don’t think it transcends and engages with all of the greatest art to be forever memorable.

Anonymous

Popular art will be memorable longer than art that is only appreciated by pretentious elitists and people desperate to be counted among them.

Anonymous

This is so wrong. Have Titian’s paintings survived the test of time or some random cartoon that passed as pop art of the Renaissance?
                Just because you don’t have the appreciation to enjoy high art does not mean it won’t continue to exist. And imagine being proud to defend what is the junk food of art. A product to be digested in a few suttings and then forgotten about in a matter of days.

Anonymous

Newsflash, retard. That shit was the popular art of the era.

Anonymous

That WAS pop art in the Renaissance you fucking moron.

No it wasn’t retards. Pop art is what would have been sold on on the streets in market places, not what private patrons were funding. This is the problem with having this "What is art conversation" most people don’t even have an understanding of the historical evolution of culture to have an informed opinion.

Anonymous

Why do you think private patrons were funding it you absolute fucking buffoon

Anonymous

Status.

Anonymous

Yeah and why would that give them status? I want you to use all seven of your braincells on this one, and I’ll give you a hint, it’s the exact same shit retards like Banksy do

Anonymous

No. Banksy is derivative and a spectacle, he will be catagorised within the genre of street art but not an artist that changed the direcrion of the medium. Patrons didn’t inherently know they were funding geniuses but that was the end result.

Anonymous

He already is classified as an artist that changed the direction of the medium. Because he literally is. Personally I think he’s fucking awful but art is remembered based on its cultural relevance and not its quality, I don’t know how this is hard for you to understand.

Anonymous

Because I’m talking in centuries and you’re talking in decades

Anonymous

And in centuries, whether you like it or not, he will be remembered as a major artist of the early 21st century.

Anonymous

And in centuries, whether you like it or not, he will be remembered as a major artist of the early 21st century.

No one can predict what art/artists will be remembered for centuries to come, all we can really appreciate is the influence we witness in our lifetimes, and all that has passed.

Anonymous

That’s where you’re wrong, you can predict all you want. There’s nothing stopping me, especially not a slack jawed fag like you.

Anonymous

The Sneed meme will outlive the Simpsons itself. Screencap this post and post it again in 2120.

Anonymous

Okay maybe I was too generous when I said YOU can predict all YOU want.

Anonymous

Give me a prediction right now, Nostradamus.

Anonymous

No. I predict when I want.

Anonymous

Give me a prediction when you feel like it.

Anonymous

I predict that in the near future, you will deny that the Holocaust ever happened.

Anonymous

I’ll get back to you on this one. Also

I predict that in the near future, you will deny that the Holocaust ever happened.

is not me and he does not have the ability or right to make predictions.

Anonymous

>is not me and he does not have the ability or right to make predictions.
                        Idk that sounded pretty accurate to me

Anonymous

That WAS pop art in the Renaissance you fucking moron.

Anonymous

Akira came out damn near 40 years ago and its influence is still seen to this day. If you’ve ever gone down a diagonal platform elevator in a game, that’s Akira.

Anonymous

When I’m talking about art I mean century spanning art. A diagnal platform was first influenced by Renaissance art that introduced 3d perspective onto the canvas…

Anonymous

If you’re going to Kevin Bacon to that extent, you might as well attribute every creation to the artistic influence of cave paintings. While it’s technically true, you’re just using a broad brush, figuratively speaking.

Anonymous

I’m of the opinion that you play video games for interesting mechanics and possibly neat characters or scenarios, but I don’t believe story telling in a good meaningful way is possible in vidya. Reada book or watch a film for that.

Anonymous

I’d recommend some but it sounds like you’re just a smug faggot that has already come to the conclusion that games can never have a good story

Anonymous

Hotline Miami 1

Anonymous

Best stories are simple stories done well. Majora’s Mask is simple but gives you everything you’d want in a story alone. Even the game mechanic wether you like it or not ads to the narrative heavily. Idk why im shilling for MM of all things butt that’s really the only video game story i can think of that doesn’t try too hard and hits a lot of notes very well.

Anonymous

kys you ignorant ndorid

Anonymous

Something tells me that OP likes dragons.
      I can’t take anyone who likes dragons seriously.
      Dragons are cringe and you will burn in hell OP.

Anonymous

Dragons are cool but people never use dragons to their original cultural effectiveness as representating adversary or a great evil. There’s always a spin nowadays.

Anonymous

I don’t think dragons have ever represented "great evil" anon, in fact the entire point of them as an obstacle is that they are neither good nor evil but still need to be overcome.

Anonymous

Silent hill 2

I’ve read GR btw

Anonymous

>Intellectual
      >Calling yourself a gamer

You’re not helping at all.

Anonymous

Final Fantasy 7

Anonymous

Hi OP. I’m 40 tomorrow and I’m calling you an insufferable bugman. Bye.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

This game has a great story if you larp that they actually finished it.

Anonymous

They finished it, they just switched from a video games medium to a fucking book.

Anonymous

>grown man
      >watches TV
      cringe

Anonymous

The Nier games (especially the first one) are the only games I’ve ever played that used the strengths of the medium to tell a story. Everything else is just shitty B-tier Hollywood scripts to throw in between gameplay, or bad dungeon master fantasy wank.

Anonymous

>The Nier games
        kek nice bait

Anonymous

hey boomer what about
      >ff10
      >witcher 2
      >super mario rpg
      >metal gear solid 3 if you ignore the cringy dialogue and focus on the story
      >pillars of eternity

Anonymous

Give me an example of a good story OP
      Could be a book, a movie, just let me take a peek inside your mind

Anonymous

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Anonymous

>TLOU _2__
      >days gone

Anonymous

>If you’re an incel don’t reply
      So its one of THOSE threads. Dont mind me, just pulling up my lurk chair

Anonymous

To the moon
      What remains of Edith Finch
      Firewatch (kinda a cheesey story but the setting is good)
      That dragon, cancer
      Beyond eyes

Say what you want about walking Sims but because they don’t have to focus on gameplay the stories are usually where they shine

Anonymous

I’ve only played Edith Finch and the cancer game but they both had terrible extremely forced stories, what are you even talking about? You could have at least posted a walking sim with a semi decent story like that shit I can’t remember the name of about the kid and there’s a mine or some shit.

Anonymous

>expecting a different medium to tell the same kind of story as another medium
      you seem dumber than the people who think harry potter or star wars extended universe is high literature

Anonymous

Umineko
      The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence
      Raging Loop

Anonymous

Saya no Uta

Anonymous

and that’s a good thing
      games are for gameplay, not story
      go back

Anonymous

The thing is you’re looking for a game to tell you a story, but a game gives you the tools tell the story yourself. The story of a game isn’t the plot some poorly paid communications grad shat out. The story of your playthrough of a game is the real tale of the game. That moment where you were one hit away from death, but somehow made it through a level is more exciting than any plot they could have put in. Or that moment where you realize how you can build a shitty party member into a badass and they have a redemption arc where they become the GOAT.

The problem is games try to have more written plot and cutscenes which often actively go against the better plot you’re trying to play. Those things sell games to normalfags, but actually make the games worse

Anonymous

this, OP is trying to discount story (his declared focus) because of gameplay elements giving interactive freedom ultimately governing how the story is presented. That’s like saying a book is shit because you read it in parts and that just didn’t do it for you. Fuck off retard

Anonymous

Turning 40 next year, myself OP

My favorite game stories were 90s JRPGs; Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Xenogears.

Anonymous

[…]

based.

pretentious jagoffs like this need a bullet in the head. we’ve got enough masturbatory pseudointellectual "literary" types ruining other forms of media, we don’t need them in vidya fandoms. well more of them, we sadly have an audience for sony’s movie games or gone home.

Anonymous

>claims to want intellectual discussion
      >starts op with autistic screeching combined with basic bitch shitposting picture

Anonymous

>4 decades on this planet
      >still somehow a storyfag
      Read a book. Story is secondary in video games, and every game that treats it otherwise still has bad writing, it just gets slapped onto a worse game.
      t. 40 year old

Anonymous

So what you’re talking about is something that defines new rules and methods for the medium? In that example it’s just figuring out the unspoken math and rules that make perspective a thing. There’s only so much humanity can really discover in that sense. and we’ve largely figured it all out given photorealistic paintings can exist. All that’s left are creating things that express more intangible concepts like emotion and memes, in the true definition of the word.

Anonymous

This is why you are not a genre defining artist. You use the language of limitation and only what has been discovered.
        I’m not claiming to be a unique creator, but the genius that genuine art creates transcends generations.

Anonymous

Brb gonna invent a new color.

Anonymous

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (the game) was written by the author of the original
      Go play it

Anonymous

There are several problems with this position. First of all, storytelling in video games is a completely different medium from movies and books. You see, even if you tried to adapt a good movie/book to be a video game, it would end up a mess because video games are performative, it isn’t passive storytelling

The player must act and be involved for the story to happen, the player rules over the pacing, even the fact a player can move the camera could break a scene, the player can be a blank slate or a character and this is something no other medium has to worry about.

Portal series for example has the best-written dialog for a silent-protagonist game, it’s "you x game" at its finest.
      https://youtu.be/IPG3eDTy-yo

And on top of all the difficulty to make a working story with an active performer (the player), you are also making a video game, so both narrative and action must blend in for cohesion.
      In conclusion, video games are unironically the hardest medium for quality story-telling, you could get the best writers from this age and they would end up making a mediocre game.

Anonymous

What’s this body the called

Anonymous

Dr Eggman

Anonymous

>mfw I’m a 40 year old gamer and I have yet to play as single game that had a decent story.
      I mean thats on you. Why drag us into it?

Anonymous

OP here. For more context. I will asphyxiate and die if I don’t have at least two cocks in my mouth at all times. it’s very hard for my family, I can barely kiss my boyfriend between the two throbbing chodes in my face constantly. getting sleep is nearly impossible, but if I get blackout drunk I can usually cry myself to sleep. I just wanted video games with good stories, because I cant appreciate the graphics what with the bouncing errant ballsacks slapping me in the eyes. I’ve been thrown out of three bars, and a little caesar’s due to people not understanding my condition. I have to go now, my throat is literally filled with their cum and I’m going to die if I dont try to vomit it up. cheers, you incels.

Anonymous

Now I understand my GF situation.

Anonymous

I don’t play games for the story, that’s why I usually play action/gameplay heavy games.
      If I want a good story I’ll read a book, “storytelling” is wasted on an active medium like games.
      And the best game stories are closer to theatre than literature. But of course most onions never set foot in a theatre.

Anonymous

>television has good story
      lost there

Anonymous

Witcher. Xenosaga. Ff7. You’re welcome.

Anonymous

Undertale

Anonymous

I thought SOMA had a pretty decent story, lightly touching on some philosophy and metaphysical concepts and being told in a somewhat in your face way but not TOO in your face.
      It helped that the actual dialogue was pretty good and the atmosphere was bleak as shit

Anonymous

I’ve never felt any deep emotional response form any video game story the way a movie or tv show (or even a book) can give me.

I don’t understand how people get invested in video game stories

Anonymous

>having an emotional reaction to a movie or TV show or even a fucking book
        Are you a woman? Words on a page are able to drive you into hysterics?

Anonymous

Ghoul detected

Books can get your heart racing, ever read The Road anon?

Anonymous

>muh game stories
      I’ll bite. You’re either a fag, a female, or just aging-out of gaming. Video game "storytelling" is like talking about architecture or sculpting "storytelling". It’s nonsense. Video games are interactive and based around player agency not author agency. Narrative is entirely different and is more subtle and lore based than the kind of shit you’d read in a book or see in a movie. What we are inflicted with in "video game storytelling" is more often than not simply cut scenes and QTE: interactive 3D cartoons. Those aren’t games. They’re cringe and terrible.

Anonymous

Your op pic and attitude in general is a massive bait, but the simple answer is the following…

Movies and books are a railroaded experience, meaning the director has complete control over the plot, the characters the setting etc. The only agency the consumer has in a book or movie is how quickly they process the material if at all and their interpretation of the information given IF said info is vague.

Whereas even the most linear of games can still cause different experiences because the reader is in control of the narrative vehicle.
      A adversary that is treated as a tough threat to the character will feel like a cakewalk to a competant player, a obstacle that was supposed to be easy to the protagonist might never get done because the player cannot figure it out, etc.
      Little details and expressions that are important may be completely lost because the player often has control of the camera. Games dont have the time to really showcase the elaborate or nuanced details that can be described in a book and a game that tries to make an incredibly tight and gripping plot like a movie can be completely ruined by the player’s actions not fitting the author’s expectations.

Books and Movies are designed around the viewers complete lack of agency.
      Games are designed around the players having near total agency.

Anonymous

The slight smirk on his face always gets me.

Anonymous

I think realistically anyone at any age could enjoy Omori.

Anonymous

Unless you are like 4 obviously but you get what I meant

Anonymous

I don’t think anyone above 15 can enjoy homori

Anonymous

The dream world segments were drawn out. The characters were somewhat cliche. The justification for the MC’s issue was good, but overall, it was a story that could’ve been told in fewer words.

Anonymous

Games deliver stories in different ways, and breaking up the pacing of games to deliver stories like film/TV do is detrimental to games.
      Gameplay IS a large element of a game’s story, or at least a good game. How did your encounters play out? What route did you take? How do the gameplay mechanics mesh with the themes and narrative of the game?
      These elements are actually what make very easy games generally quite insipid. It’s not about it being bad "because the dregs can beat it", but because it tends not to create any memorable experiences unique to the person. Games like Souls may have led to insufferable fanbases, but the very fact that there was some semblance of discovery and personal achievement people is what led to all the circlejerking online discussion and sharing of stories about runs.
      In terms of the best crafted game world I’ve ever enjoyed, I’d say it was Majora’s Mask. There are some coincidental design decisions (groundhog day scenario mainly) that allowed for a detailed world with many interconnected elements that didn’t break immersion.
      It’s funny, I remember years later when playing things like Oblivion, with the revolutionary AI interactions of the day, basically boiling down to extremely stiff, repetitive, and hilariously limited interaction between NPCs. I suppose we do have to start somewhere, but time and time again, games that are very tightly crafted have mogged "systemic" and "dynamic" games.

Anonymous

Placescape Torment
      Disco Elysium

Anonymous

I’m getting through Disco Elysium right now and it’s overrated. It is practically the epitome of telling and not showing. It’s an interactive novel that makes it hard for you to just read what it wants to tell you, with constant references to things you won’t know, but which it will reference anyway. It’s a book you’ll read only once but the "game" makes it hard for you to read it all in one sitting. It’s not clever, it’s just annoying. And then the prose, it really shows these guys are communists. I’m really getting tired of all these pseudo-intellectual diverse folk who cope by becoming misanthropic nihilists but God forbid they consider races are different.

Anonymous

OP here,i recently finished hollow knight and i believe it has lived up to my expectations,a masterpiece of gameplay,story,and ambient design. I just finished my review over at r/hollowknight in case anyone wants to see.Cheers!

Anonymous

I am curious what would you consider a good story? one example for a book and another for TV.

Anonymous

Pyre.
      Almost none of (you)’s played it so you can’t disprove me HA!

Anonymous

Also this. Only good video game ever.

Anonymous

>if you are incel don’t reply
      so i will reply then
      and all i’m gonna say is, that you are melanoid and FAGGOT and has no idea that "good writing" just as subjective as your retarded perception of reality that everyone you don’t like is an "incel"
      have a nice day, subhuman melanoid ape

Anonymous

>40
      >never played Planescape

Another fucking zoomer LARPing as an educated boomer. Fuck off faggot.

Viewing 67 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.