Upgrades and reskins for original Half-Life

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic Upgrades and reskins for original Half-Life

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

This is how you play Half-Life in 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wRG6djknA
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6DU4Lciat0

-Source version (original has shitty graphics)
      -HD content enabled (3D models made by Gearbox in 2001)
      -HD Texture pack
      -Reshade

• #37372 Reply
      Anonymous

I’d rather just play Black Mesa if I’m going to gently caress with the original vision

• #37373 Reply
        Anonymous

But Black Mesa isn’t Half-Life and original (goldsrc) version looks like this.

• #37376 Reply
          Anonymous

that guy has seen some shit

• #37436 Reply
          Anonymous

why is the security guard like 2 times the size of science man

• #37467 Reply
          Anonymous

Literally everyone have seen the beta half life videos, this is some weak bait

• #37420 Reply
        Anonymous

>shitty remake with less artistic talent than the original valve release
        Having an increased cap on poly and texture limits doesn’t guarantee better looking aesthetic.

• #37438 Reply
          Anonymous

can you at least check it out first before posting

• #37489 Reply
            Anonymous

Yeah I actually watched the videos for a couple hours with 1080p video, better in gameplay, my bad.

• #37433 Reply
        Anonymous

fpbp
        Either play it like back in the day or go for the remake.

• #37374 Reply
      Anonymous
      • #37378 Reply
        Anonymous

This is how crappy original Half-Life looks like. It’s unplayable without Source engine and Gearbox models.

• #37381 Reply
          Anonymous

And here’s proper Gearbox model of Barney. He looks much better than Valve shit.

• #37384 Reply
            Anonymous

Are you from Russia by chance?
            Those textures are sharper for sure but they’re also in a totally different style.

Subjectives aside, HL:Source is also objectively broken. A lot of the tech used in the Goldsrc version straight up wasn’t ported over, and left broken.

• #37385 Reply
              Anonymous

>HL:Source is also objectively broken

Where it’s broken? The guy on the video almost completed it on hard mode. He only couldn’t kill spider because he had no explosives.

• #37452 Reply
            Anonymous

Soulless

• #37415 Reply
          Anonymous

hes gently caressing creepy

• #37377 Reply
      Anonymous

>any of that shit
      type ‘kill’ in console yourself in real life, please

• #37386 Reply
      Anonymous

hl1 was better on the PS2, but only when you played it through the shitty jam-pack disk that was scratched to shit

• #37388 Reply
        Anonymous

Looks like ass. The half of lightmaps are missing here. The game looked much better in software mode on my Celeron/S3 back in 1999.

• #37389 Reply
          Anonymous

stupid giraffix virgin

• #37572 Reply
        Anonymous

Just make sure you use a mouse and a keyboard next time. Half-Life on PS2 works with USB keyboards and mice like some other games on PS2.

• #37387 Reply
      Anonymous

The textures are sharper; They’re legible, and on their own they’re okay, but those normals are way too gritty, but also sterile, somehow. Many of those textures look clean and stylized like a cartoon.
      It’s similar to those Black Mesa downgrade projects.

I’m not gonna knock it because a lot of effort probably went into that shit, but I wouldn’t say it’s better than the original. It’s just different.

• #37390 Reply
      Anonymous

>its another """HD""" project by russians
      we’ve been here before

• #37392 Reply
        Anonymous

I’ve always liked the HUD.

• #37406 Reply
          Anonymous

It’s stolen from another mod. Think its called DoomVisor or something.

• #37393 Reply
        Anonymous

What game is this?

• #37391 Reply
      Anonymous

The right way to play HL1 is to turn Gl_texturemode gl_nearest. It’s pixel perfection, I can’t get tired of taking screenshots of items. I really wanted to take screenshots of those models that appear when you break a box but disappears in like 3 seconds, damn those models are beautiful to witness.

• #37394 Reply
        Anonymous

You get better water effects too, on software.

• #37399 Reply
          Anonymous

Last time I was messing with the options and turned software rendering on, my HL1 turned into 300×200 resolution.

• #37403 Reply
            Anonymous

On the Steam version it lets me keep the same native widescreen resolution, even on software.
            I highly doubt software on the Sierra CD version would work at all on modern OSs.
            I hear software doesn’t support widescreen at all on that release.

• #37573 Reply
          Anonymous

Too bad the current Steam version lacks a software renderer, and other features like EAX. The way to go is to torrent an older release of the game.

• #37397 Reply
        Anonymous

Funny, I only have screenshots of the shotgun and it’s ammo. For some dumb reason I can’t take screenshots while crouching.

• #37447 Reply
          Anonymous

Those are some beautiful models and textures
          IIRC picking up the shotgun shells only gives you 8 though, I could be wrong since it’s been a while since I played

• #37450 Reply
            Anonymous

yeah it only gives you 8
            it gave you 30 in Day One

• #37453 Reply
              Anonymous

I think it might have given 12 in the Uplink demo but its been a long time
              By the way Uplink was gently caressing great, did you ever play it?

• #37454 Reply
                Anonymous

Yep, I played through that shit dozens of times after I beat HL1
                I didn’t realize it was a remake of a cut chapter until much later though

• #37457 Reply
                  Anonymous

Really? Didn’t know that it was a cutting room floor thing, I wonder why they did that
                  What I do remember is how fun it was; creeping around every corner and boy when the HECUs turned up I was getting freaked out by their radio chatter, I thought they were unstoppable. Hiding behind a crate as they chucked grenades at me
                  I want to play Uplink again, will try to find a link for it

• #37458 Reply
                    Anonymous

Ah it turns out its easy as gently caress to find, never mind
                    Going to have a blast on it later, something to look forward to after work
                    >first time splatting a headcrab corpse with a crowbar
                    I was so impressed by that, sounds stupid now. It’s the simple things

• #37459 Reply
                    Anonymous

Yep, there was a whole chapter during the latter part of the game that involved raiding the Lambda complex’s communications center and sending a transmission to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to override a lockdown so you could proceed into the Lambda reactor facility.
                    In that chapter you would have been double crossed by a traitorous security guard who tries to kill you with turrets, then you kill him and take his keycard, and then you get backstabbed AGAIN by the lady who runs the research labs connected to the Lambda complex (the X-labs that is mentioned passingly in prerelease material). The whole chapter got cut, bits and pieces of it got recycled as parts for other levels (that one room in the launch center that has the hologram) and the female scientist who backstabs you was later recycled into Judith Mossman’s character in HL2.
                    Pretty interesting chapter, but the game isn’t really any worse off for having cut it since HL1 is really freaking long anyways as far as FPS campaigns go

• #37468 Reply
                      Anonymous

For posterity sake, it wasn’t "Lambda Complex’s" comm center exactly, but the base’s Central Command center you hear referenced in the released game.

It would have fit into the area behind the Secure Access door at the surface tension dam. Final game it’s just a small empty road to a random elevator, but it would have gone right there with the CenCom garages underground; it was replaced with the drainage system you follow, after the garages they kept.

Supposedly, Gearbox screwed up and built over the area with disjointed storage yards.
                      The base’s layout is a total mess anyways.

• #37395 Reply
      Anonymous

The real way is with OG models and no texture filtering.

• #37396 Reply
      Anonymous

Why do Russians love Half-Life so much?

• #37401 Reply
        Anonymous

Because you kill american army in this game.

• #37405 Reply
          Anonymous

Makes sense.

• #37444 Reply
        Anonymous

Runs on potato.

• #37466 Reply
          Anonymous

This is the true reason.

• #37445 Reply
        Anonymous

>Why do Russians love Half-Life so much?
        Their whole country is a dilapidated industrial zone.

• #37400 Reply
      Anonymous

Somebody should really finish that machine learning AI texture upscale project for vanilla Half-Life.

There’s another mod for the same thing, but it runs on the Xash engine (fine too, but only close enough).

• #37402 Reply
        Anonymous

>AI upscaled textures
        >when the HD patch exists that even improve on polycount
        What is the point?

• #37408 Reply
          Anonymous

The HD patches take after a different art style, set apart from Valve’s work. It’s preferential, but some people care enough that they want to preserve the original aesthetic.

• #37410 Reply
          Anonymous

Found the Beretta and M4 guy

• #37412 Reply
            Anonymous

The M4 does make sense, but not when it shares the same ammo pool with the pistol. If it was separated like the SMG and Pistol are in HL2, I would be totally fine with the M4 existing.

Actually I wanted to do exactly this (give the MP5 its own ammo type and change it to a M4) but I can’t figure out which file in the source code has ammo/bullet definitions so that’s been on hold.

• #37414 Reply
              Anonymous

The smg and pistol in hl2 shares bullets too. Dumb dumb.

• #37417 Reply
                Anonymous

It actually doesn’t, smg uses a completely different ammo pool from the pistol

• #37422 Reply
        Anonymous

AI upscaling is so close to being the perfect solution, except for that noise on textures in the video. Granted, I’d still pick it over both the hopelessly outdated original and the shitty HD """remakes""" with no sense of art style, but it still has a ways to go.

• #37429 Reply
          Anonymous

I’ve never done it myself but know that results vary wildly depending on workflow and technique.
          My assumption is that the image, and that video, show material that might have been run only through a single algorithm like ESRGAN and then in post, just had some sharpening and a couple shitty filters slapped onto them.

I’ve seen some very great stuff from later algorithms, but there are so many factors involved. Really I think the tools are already just fine, and it’s actually down to a person’s drive and experience.

You’ll get good, but not great, let alone excellent results just running everything through something like ESRGAN, no matter how it’s trained.

On that video specifically, I really do think they’ve got detail textures on, and they slapped a shitty filter or two over the product.

• #37413 Reply
      Anonymous

>Hd textures
      >just adds a bunch of noise
      Why do slavs make everything ugly?
      I know it’s subjective and that ugly, low quality things are easier to make look ‘cool’ but every damn slav game from stalker to tarkov are just so ugly.

• #37423 Reply
      Anonymous

How’s this look for a ceiling turret mount? This is mainly used for spaces with ceilings too high to practically recess the turret assembly into the ceiling. The bracket is supposed to be height adjustible and the olive drab parts contain the actual mechanisms and ammo feed for the gun.

• #37424 Reply
      Anonymous

>2019
      At least update your copy pasta, cyka

• #37426 Reply
        Anonymous

fucking retard wasting a grenades on zombies gently caress off

• #37427 Reply
          Anonymous

Shut up

• #37446 Reply
        Anonymous

For some reason when i run brutal half life under xash 3d, it will crash to desktop with no error when i pick up a suit battery or jump module. Anyone know why? Using the wall chargers work fine though.

• #37448 Reply
          Anonymous

Might be some sound file missing.

• #37483 Reply
        Anonymous

can’t wait for the next brutal half life update. they’re even adding duke 3d, blood, quake and doom levels

• #37428 Reply
      Anonymous

I play vanilla game with software rendering for maximum soul

• #37441 Reply
        Anonymous

>I play vanilla game with software rendering for maximum soul
        THANK THE LORD SOMEONE NON gently caressING RETARDED. playing old games in resolution they were never developed for and super high antialiasing makes them look empty, blurry and ugly. there are people who play silent hill on PC without the post processing effects. absolutely barbaric.

• #37430 Reply
      Anonymous

not to mention, they probably have linear filtering on too. I wonder how the upscaled textures would look without any filtering.

• #37435 Reply
      Anonymous

I found an interesting unused scientist line in Decay’s files that’s clearly not from Decay
      >Gordon, I’m very concerned about these electrical forcefield barriers. What if we have a power outage?

Imo this could be from earlier stages of development when the anti-mass spectrometer was a portal device and they had a specimen containment room near the lab, like in the alpha
      It’s amazing how much you can still find about a 20+ year old game in its files.

btw, soda cans were supposed to make a noise when you picked them up but someone never bothered to put an EMIT_SOUND entry in the source code file that has the entity in it, despite someone clearly labelling that one was supposed to go there. It’s literally a 1 minute fix and nobody bothered.

• #37437 Reply
        Anonymous

Actually, that was a one off take of a line written for the mod Darkstar. The line is voiced by some random dev in the mod, but Gearbox had Robbins do his own performance of it, for what ever reason.

• #37439 Reply
          Anonymous

[…]

huh you’re right
          Wonder if they optioned some mods for a professional remake or something and that was one of them.
          I’m happy it exists because I can use it since I’ve stuck the sector C specimen containment room back in my mod as a nod to the alpha.
          I’d still kill for a full dump of alpha content like what the HL2 leak was
          Valve still has all the HL1 content but they said it’d be hard to actually release any of it because they’d have to recreate the filesystem as it existed back in the late 90’s

• #37463 Reply
      Anonymous

Someone tell him to stand back from focal stage! That suit won’t do him any good if he wanders into the beam!

• #37464 Reply
        Anonymous

SHUTTING DOWN
        ATTEMPTING SHUTDOWN…
        IT’S
        IT’S NOT SHUTTING DOWN
        AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• #37465 Reply
          Anonymous

We tried to warn them…

• #37469 Reply
      Anonymous

Also kind of got recycled into Decay’s Uplink mission.

• #37471 Reply
        Anonymous

And then recycled again into that one level in Decay

• #37472 Reply
      Anonymous

At this point, why not use HL2 assets? It would look way gently caressing better than whatever the gently caress that is

• #37473 Reply
        Anonymous

autism

• #37474 Reply
      Anonymous

This is how you play Half-Life in 2020:

• #37477 Reply
        Anonymous

*drifts after a month*

• #37478 Reply
          Anonymous

Akshually mine took about 6 months to break

• #37479 Reply
            Anonymous

That’s quite impressive. What did you play and how often?

• #37480 Reply
              Anonymous

Probably like 300-400 hours of various games in that time, largely H3VR, but the issues may have been caused by using sprint a lot in Boneworks

• #37481 Reply
                Anonymous

Yeah I basically only played Pavlov with mine and they didn’t last a full month before they were unusable.

• #37482 Reply
                Anonymous

It’s all tied to the busted ass clicking of the joysticks. Don’t do it and they don’t break. But of course with $300 controllers this shouldn’t be a problem to begin with.

• #37484 Reply
                  Anonymous

Nah, I could fetch you a Steam post that describes what’s wrong with it, clicking contributes to the problem, especially when it’s busted and you press extra hard, but there’s basically a design flaw where the thumbstick parts just get loose with use. It will happen sooner or later. I’ve never used clicks on mine, but I still had to set the deadzone to around 30% because the stick no longer even goes back to 0 position. The entire component is trash, utter dollar strone chink garbage. But Valve absolutely had to put the thumbpad and touch sensors on every bit, and here we are.

• #37475 Reply
      Anonymous

Just play Black mesa, lmao. It has better everything.

And they are tweaking soldiers AI.

• #37476 Reply
      Anonymous

Good God, I thought you were just trolling until I’ve read this dumpster of a thread, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

• #37485 Reply
      Anonymous

The only way to play Half-Life in 2020 is software mode 640×480

Viewing 23 reply threads
Reply To: Upgrades and reskins for original Half-Life
Your information:

Upload image to imgur:

Clicking submit = agreeing with the rules. Good posts may get edited and promoted to a blog post.