Was this literally Buy Nintendo Power: The Game?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Was this literally Buy Nintendo Power: The Game?

• This topic has 60 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Was this literally Buy Nintendo Power: The Game?

Anonymous

It was "talk to your friends at school, you have friends right?" the game

Anonymous

I think they had a call service back then.

Anonymous

i remember just going all over the map looking for secrets, bombed all the walls, burned all the trees, figured out the graveyard and woods by trial and error

Anonymous

No. Just read the fucking manual you dipshit. It even came with a partially filled out map. The 2nd quest was some bullshit but people who get filtered by Zelda 1 now are just idiots. Try playing Ultima IV you wimp.

Anonymous

You didn’t even need the manual. Some of us cleared the game by just EXPLORING and EXPERIMENTING. But those concepts are lost on the new generation of gamers.

Anonymous

Agreed although I will say the only thing that can fuck you up a little bit if you go in blind is that each dungeon has an item which is missable. Make sure to get the item or else you might not be able to finish the game. I know that’s obvious if you’ve played it already but it can throw some new players off. They did try to deal with this in Zelda 2 with the temples turning to stone once you got both the item and killed the boss.

Anonymous

>But those concepts are lost on the new generation of gamers.
          When that Link’s Awakening remake came out my zoomie coworker could not find any secret seashells without a guide.
          It’s like he had no fucking sense for pattern recognition at all. Shit was weird.

Anonymous

Mind numbingly going tile to tile bombing walls and burning bushes to uncover secrets and figure out how to proceed sounds so much more exciting when you call it exploration and experimenting

Anonymous

Sorry the game didn’t have pointing arrows directing you to every secret or DLC that unlocked all the hidden things for you.

Anonymous

It also didn’t have good design

Anonymous

>says the zoomie

You sure proved those millions of sales and best game lists of all time wrong.

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

>Mind numbingly going tile to tile bombing walls
            Or, you just didn’t play the game. All the places important to actually finish the game were in obvious spots, the only few times you’d want to bomb or burn random bushes is when looking for optional secrets. And even then, bombs can be dropped infinitely from enemies while the game literally gives you an infinite candle mid-game. You’re not supposed to be an idiot when you can only fire it once a screen, experimenting doesn’t mean you have to turn off your brain.

Anonymous

it was Read The Fucking Manual: The Game

Anonymous

[…]

This, it literally tells you where the bullshit dungeons are
        READ HE FUCKING MANUAL

Anonymous

You didn’t even need the manual. Some of us cleared the game by just EXPLORING and EXPERIMENTING. But those concepts are lost on the new generation of gamers.

Those two posts are the answer.

The problem is that OP is trying to play a boomer game with a zoomer mindset.

If you know what to do, Zelda 1 is an extremely short game. You can 100% complete it in a couple hours. Old NES era and early video games extended their gameplay time with tons of trial and error and exploration because of technical limitations.

Just to put things in perspective, Minecraft without the wiki is more cryptic than Zelda 1 could ever be and literally unbeatable.

Anonymous

>Just to put things in perspective, Minecraft without the wiki is more cryptic than Zelda 1 could ever be and literally unbeatable.
          funny you say this, you can actually watch this for someone’s completely unspoiled playthrough of minecraft. It’s actually very interesting seeing how he figures his way out through the various mechanics with just luck and experimentation (and looking at the in game achievement list)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DHOVziRwBA&list=PLbqkLu2V1bJJUQ2aLZjFdz8decGs1kHg-

Anonymous

hey i know that dude, he made the youtube user 666 video.

Anonymous

>Buy
      The Nintendo ad magazine wasn’t free in the US?
      NoE had a bi-monthly "Club Nintendo" magazine.

Anonymous

"free" is bad in America. That communism and that is bad.

Anonymous

Just finished the 1st Quest and wanted to say, fuck the rooms just filled with blue versions of Darknut or Wizzrobe. Can’t even stun the fuckers using the Boomerang.

Anonymous

You’re going to love the 2nd quest rooms that have those and the red Bubbles (that prevent you from using your sword until you hit a blue Bubble).

Anonymous

The "subscribe to nintendo power" card that came in the box literally had a fucking map with every secret for quest 1 on it.
      By quest 2, you should’ve been able to git gud enough to find the stuff on your own.

Anonymous

Legend of Zelda was the first video game ARG, it encouraged kids to collaborate and share their progress and buy Nintendo Power

Anonymous

Yeah

Anonymous

>zoomers showing their age and not knowing NP wasn’t even a thing until over a year after LoZ originally came out

Anonymous

Nah, that’s more for Metroid or any game that had false walls as an unexplained mechanic

Anonymous

Manual tells you to bomb and shoot floors and walls. Kids actually used to read manuals back in the old days.

Anonymous

>Kids actually used to read manuals back in the old days.
          Games actually had manuals in those days.

Anonymous

>Hes too young to remember reading the game manual on the car ride back home
      Zoomers really do have a shit life.

Anonymous

Zoomers don’t even know what manuals are anon, have a little pity for them.

Anonymous

…and even if they knew, they couldn’t even read them.
          Without the half-automatic keyboards these days they’d be holistically fucked.

Anonymous

Legend of Zelda was HEAVILY inspired by Tower of Druaga, a game that had tons of cryptic bullshit on each and every level

Anonymous

Druaga is one of those games where I legitimately cannot fathom how it took Japan by storm. Guess you just had to be there or something.

Anonymous

I’m more amazed by Wizardry’s success in Japan.
          They made something like 25 Japanese only Wizardry sequels that never came out on the west.

Anonymous

No, this was.

Anonymous

The only thing the game doesn’t clearly tell you is how to use the 3 crystals correctly. Every other thing in the game that is actually required to proceed is told to you at some point.

Anonymous

I played it earlier this year and I have no idea how people didn’t do it without guides. I had to save scum a lot so I could check dungeon walls with bombs and not run out of them. Some of the dungeon locations were pretty fucking cryptic too but I got lucky finding them.

Anonymous

>gee why does the map and compass say there’s something in this area but no room access it?
        >either A) there’s a block that needs pushed somewhere or B) I need to bomb my way into that section

Pretty simple.
        Also the game tells you there’s a secret at the pond with no fairy.

Anonymous

Yeah I know that’s how I found it but it’s all still pretty cryptic for modern Zelda standards. Like there’s an NPC that tells you “seek spectacle rock” for dungeon 9 and it’s just some random rock in the NW corner of the map you have to bomb and dungeon 8 is located under a random tree. I found them without guides and it’s way more fun than just having the path in front of you like modern Zelda games.

Anonymous

>spectacle rock
            >just some random rock
            It is one of two rocks shaped and positioned like a pair of eyes

Anonymous

Ah I read it as spectacle in the other definition of the word. I found it cause the NW corner seemed pretty dangerous compared to other areas of the map and it was the only section where I hadn’t found a dungeon. Level 9 was pretty great though truly a labyrinthine dungeon.

Anonymous

Levels 1, 2, 3, and 6 are out in the open
        Level 4 is behind one of only two raft points in the game
        Level 5 is hinted at by an NPC right next to it
        Levels 7 and 9 are hinted at by an NPC in a previous Level
        Level 8 is the only one that’s really "hidden" but it’s in the most obvious bush/tree on the entire map.

Anonymous

>secret where fairies don’t live
        seems very evident to me

Anonymous

I have memories of playing this game when I was 4-5 years old. Being only exposed to platformers, fighting games and sports games at that time, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing in Legend of Zelda, and the relatives house I played it at had no manual and there was nobody I could talk to to help figure things out. Want to know what I thought needed to be done? Kill the river zora. Since they’re so hard to kill I figured they were the boss you need to beat in order to reach the ‘next level’.

Fast forward nearly 30 years I finally sat down and played through the game in its entirety. Admittedly had to use a map to find dungeon 2 because for some reason it alluded me. Other than that I was able to find the remaining 6 on my own since I stumbled upon them trying to find dungeon 2 in the first place. Also tossed my hands in the air and looked up maps for dungeons 8 and 9 because I kept running out keys for the latter and that’s when I saw and remembered that special skeleton key was even a thing. Ironically enough it was behind a wall I chose not to blow up the first time I went through. What really surprises me even now is pic related. Don’t know how, don’t know why, but for 25+ years I knew this spot existed and how to get to it, and with no recollection of as to whom or where this knowledge was imparted to me in the first place. Was also knew how to reach the 1st dungeon for some reason, yet my 5 year old brain said not to go in there and everything was to be done in the overworld.

End blog

Anonymous

It’s crazy how well this game aged. I had such a blast playing through it earlier this year.

Anonymous

I’m more surprised I found most of the tools and things without a map. Certain things like the sword upgrade being the cemetery was knowledge I was aware of because it’s stuff you hear now and again when people talk about the game, but not how to actually obtain it so things considered I’m proud of myself. Working through AoL now. I hate myself.

Anonymous

AoL isn’t that hard either, just take your time.
            I’m sure you’re going to enjoy Death Mountain and the gauntlet to the Great Palace though (not to mention the Palace itself).

Anonymous

I’d never call AoL hard, just very testing of my patience. Would you believe if I told you I actually did Death Mountain without a guide or map… only to die shortly after getting out and not grab the hammer because I didn’t know where it was? Did not expect that maze to be so early in the game, also didn’t think getting the hammer would be that big a pain in the ass. Brought up a map for the second time around because like hell I was going to run Death Mountain blind a second time when I’ve already proven to myself I could do it the first time.

Anonymous

Nice trips.
                I think I got Death Mountain done first try as I’m pretty certain every correct path is either right or down and I just naturally pick those routes anyway. Great Palace’s mountain paths are just grueling even if you know what you’re doing and the game knows what a slog it is to get there as it’s the only time it lets you continue there instead of restarting at the North Palace.

Anonymous

That’s… fantastic to know. Doing my best to not use a map, even for the dungeons, though I did give up and use one to figure out that puzzle in the swamp area and that douche bag’s hideaway. Even learned the down stab which I’m eternally grateful for. I made it to Palace 3 but had to take a break. Each dungeon becomes even more of a gauntlet than the last and it can wear a man down just how much shit he has to fight through with how leveling up and game overs work. Probably the biggest kick in the balls and waste of time is giving us extra lives. May as well not even bother.

Anonymous

Yeah, I would agree the lives thing could have been handled way better. They never respawn in a playthrough so to make the most of them you pretty much have to ignore all the overworld ones until it’s time to tackle the trip to the final palace.

Anonymous

AoL isn’t that hard either, just take your time.
            I’m sure you’re going to enjoy Death Mountain and the gauntlet to the Great Palace though (not to mention the Palace itself).

I tried getting into AoL and beat the second palace which was hard enough but just kind dropped the game at death mountain.

Anonymous

Just break every single piece of destructible overworld stuff in the entire game like a normal person would.

Anonymous

git gud the game

Anonymous

It has an instruction manual that told you several things to try.

Anonymous

I looked up the manual and read it online at the start of my playthrough because I figured it wasn’t cheating. It was helpful because it shows the first four dungeons on the map and all the items like lion key or red lantern so you know to look for them in dungeons.

Anonymous

If you let the title screen sit long enough it also runs through every item in the game.

Anonymous

Did metroid come with a map? That always felt hard to keep track of.

Anonymous

Just a no detail one that showed where every zone was in relation to each other.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.