What are some other games that are in medias res too hermetic?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard What are some other games that are in medias res too hermetic?

• This topic has 231 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What are some other games that are in medias res too hermetic?

Anonymous

Shin Megami Tensei and, by extension, the Persona series.

Anonymous

I had to google "hermetic" to see if there was some other definition of the word I’m not aware of and apparently there isn’t so I have no idea what the fuck he’s talking about.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

What fucking dictionary is that?
          Because hermetic does not mean the same as inaccessible, and never had. Not in common usage, or anywhere else.

Hermetic knowledge means "related to occultist or mystical traditions within western philosophy". Not "hard to understand" or "inaccessible" or "exclusive". Hermetic knowledge sure is inaccesible to most but that does not mean it is just a general term for being inaccessible.
          God damn these online dictionaries really are fucking garbage.
          OP, whoever the fuck he is, is just using the term wrong, presumably because he first encountered on the same shitty on-line dictionary as posted.

This is why you don’t treat dictionaries as authorities, kids.

Anonymous

Oh, it’s the "each word has only one precise definition" fag again. You’ve never seen a dictionary in your life.

Anonymous

>Oh, it’s the "each word has only one precise definition" fag again.
              No, that is not what I’m saying. However, there are still semiotic domains and fields of relevance for each word, they are here because otherwise, the language will simply lose it’s functionality.

If you use a word in a way that 99% of people will not understand, in a way that has no support in it’s past history, and that does not actually offer to expand it’s functionality or relevance: You are simply using the word wrong.
              I do understand that you kids are afraid of this. The very notion that anyone could EVER actually tell you are you are doing something wrong is so fucking paralyzing to you, you would rather see the entire language lose any and all function than to ever face that possibility, but then again:
              You are shit and nobody really gives a fuck about you. Especially not linguistics.

Anonymous

It is a perfectly valid use of the word ‘hermetic’ and you shouldn’t assume that 99% of the English-speaking population shares your shortcomings, From your shaky grammar I have to assume that you’re not exactly an experienced English speaker, no offence intended. The OP isn’t about the correct use of the word; it’s just making fun of a very pretentiously phrased criticism.
                >I do understand that you kids are afraid of this. The very notion that anyone could EVER actually tell you are you are doing something wrong is so fucking paralyzing to you, you would rather see the entire language lose any and all function than to ever face blah blah blah
                Now you’ve just devolved into schizophrenic rambling. Are you playing a character or do you behave like this in real life?

Anonymous

>It is a perfectly valid use of the word ‘hermetic
                  It’s literally not, and the thread itself illustrates this is. And yeah, I’m not native english speaker. But I also am a linguist by trade. Unlike you, I actually do have basic understanding of what meaning is, how it is established and maintained in languages.

>Now you’ve just devolved into schizophrenic rambling.
                  Funny that you talk about shortcomings of understanding language when such a basic statement confuses you this much.

It’s not a common phrase and has literally never been. I’m more baffled that you can’t believe he doesn’t know what it means honestly. Although it couldn’t be… you’re not just being overtly pretentious are you? Because that sure would be fucking retarded.

>It’s not a common phrase and has literally never been
                  It really fucking is. It’s very, VERY basic part of medial terminology. How much fucking isolated are you? Have you NEVER read a movie review, or any form of theoretical look at storytelling what so ever? This is basic highschool terminology, unless you literally went working the fucking coal mine after elementary, you should know this term.

Anonymous

>It really fucking is
                    lmao the first time this image circulated and everyone googled it and pretended they knew it their whole lives I asked all my filmmaker friends if they knew what it meant and out of 20 people not a single one knew what the fuck I was talking about.

Anonymous

>lmao the first time this image circulated
                      Yeah, I believe that.
                      But that does not mean this is the first time people encountered the term "in media res" for fuck sake.
                      Again, how fucking disconnected from reality are you?

you’re some kind of advanced retard ain’t ya? The kind that’s slowly discovering the limits of your understanding and scope.

The fuck are you even trying to say, kid?

Anonymous

>Yes I believe that
                        So you’re telling me in the one month that Deathloop has been out, everyone on the planet learned what "in media res" means? Like are you completely fucked or are you just unable to read? Like I can’t tell if you understood my post and are just severely schizophrenic or you have no idea what you’re even saying anymore.

Anonymous

>So you’re telling me in the one month that Deathloop has been out, everyone on the planet learned what "in media res" means?
                        What?
                        What the FUCK are you talking about?

In media res is a term used in basic public level media theory (meaning any form of movie, book or game reviews, among many other) for well over a century now, and in more academic circles since literally the first century A.D.

Deathloop has nothing to do with this, what the fuck are you talking about?

In media fucking res is just a completely normal, common fucking term among anyone who is even basically literate, you idiot.

Anonymous

Can you please try reading literally any part of the conversation you’re a part of before you try to reply to it? I mean that’s not generally something I have to tell someone about their own conversation but you’re a special kind of retarded. Even maybe just read like, at least one other post in the thread so you know what it’s about? I don’t want to exhaust you, obviously.

Anonymous

If you are refering to the fact that you allegedly asked your film-making friends and they totally never heard of this term:

Did you SERIOUSLY FUCKING THOUGHT ANYONE BELIEVES YOU?

Are you three? The fuck?

Anonymous

Did I seriously thought what now? Can ESLs please fuck off?

Anonymous

>guy literally has no idea what is happening in the thread
                        >spergs out and just decides to define the phrase the other guy already knows
                        wat

Anonymous

He’s just a retarded, illiterate zoomer, anon. Schools in the US have actually removed literacy requirements for highschoolers because it "causes disparate outcomes."

Everybody else learned about in medias res as part of required curriculum when we read A Midsummer Night’s Dream in highschool.

>It really fucking is
                        lmao the first time this image circulated and everyone googled it and pretended they knew it their whole lives I asked all my filmmaker friends if they knew what it meant and out of 20 people not a single one knew what the fuck I was talking about.

Your filmmaker friends and you are fucking stupid and illiterate.

Anonymous

Where are you from? I’m not American and we definitely didn’t learn that in high school. I mean obviously the average person doesn’t need to be taught that a story can start in the middle, but most people just refer to it as "starting in the middle".

Anonymous

North west USA
                        Did you read Midsummer Night’s Dream?
                        They probably removed it from curriculum as a way to cater to low IQ groups.

Anonymous

No, we read plenty of other shakespeare though. It’s weird to me that you don’t realize different places have different curricula.

Anonymous

He’s American so how could he think people around the world have their own ways other than his.

Anonymous

I think he might also genuinely think Midsummer Night’s Dream is the only shakespeare work because I also thought it was weird that he specified that one when schools generally teach a wide range of shakespeare and there are like 30 plays or something he did. Just a weird glimpse into the Northwest American mind.

Anonymous

That you’re supremely retarded. I was under the impression that you’re slowly starting to understand that yourself, alas, I was wrong and you continue to "thrive" in your ignorance.

Anonymous

>That you’re supremely retarded.
                        You do realize that this has to be at least VAGUELLY based on some kind of point or argument to have any relevance, right?

Yeah, I made you angry, you are insecure and need to compensate that sudden surge of emotions by insulting me. I’d assume even you would have figured out that is not going to get you anywhere unless you can make anything even remotely similar to an actual point. You know, somehow put together a justification of your hillarious little tantrum.

But then again, clearly assuming any kind of basic self-awareness or mental capacity all together was my biggest mistake so far.

So let me make it easy for you:
                        What part of what I said is making you shit your pants with with impotent anger? Try to be precise, actually refer to something I had actually said, and what about it made you piuss yourself.
                        Can you answer that question?

Anonymous

Real autism speaking right here. Textbook.

Anonymous

>Real autism speaking right here. Textbook.
                        Thank you for proving that you can’t do what I asked of you.

Do you really not realize how fucking sad this is? Do you seriously not realize how poorly this reflects on you?

You have posted 5+ posts of mental breakdown and screeching and you literally cannot say what is it that made you angry.

You do not really realize there are people around you at this point, do you?
                        This is stupidity and lack of self-awareness leading towards some kind of solipsisim.

Anonymous

Continued reddit spacing, an entitled retard making demands of people who don’t give a shit about him. Full autist for sure.

Anonymous

>Thank you for proving you can’t do what I asked of you
                        damn almost like you are completely worthless here and no one gives a shit about what you "asked of them" lmao

Anonymous

>damn almost like you are completely worthless here and no one gives a shit about what you "asked of them" lmao
                        Kid, you know what is funny.
                        You did not know what the phrase "in media res" means. And while that is kinda silly, given how hugely common it is in pretty much any media-related discussions, it’s also not a big deal.
                        Everyone has blindspots. And some people just don’t read theory on media what so ever, and while that is not exactly healthy, it is fair and fine as long as they do have SOME interests in their life.

But you have somehow turned this simple admission of a minor personal ignorance into an 25+ meltdown.
                        The fact that somebody points out that knowing these words is quite normal drives you into 25+ posts of nothing but you screeching at the top of your lungs how much you hate someone… that is the part that actually DOES make you an insanely shit person.

Just keep this in mind. Nobody would have judged you for your lack of basic common vocabulary knowledge.
                        This kind of mental breakdown, however, is why you are as worthless as you actually fear you might be.
                        In fact, it’s even worse.

>hermetic doesn’t mean inaccessible
                        i fucking hate this place
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeticism_(poetry)

You could at least read the fucking article you posted, kid. Jesus.

Anonymous

Why do you keep responding to people like it’s the same guy, this is the second time you have done this to me lmao

Anonymous

Kid
                        Hey kid
                        Kid!
                        Listen to me, kid
                        Are you reading my posts, kid?
                        Call me, kid…
                        I miss you

Anonymous

>needs to autistically respond to every single person calling him a retard
                        >GOD I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS HAS GONE ON FOR 25+ POSTS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE
                        this is honestly the funniest dude on Ganker right now

Anonymous

Why is this guy making you write essays about how mad you are? Everyone thinks your retarded, just move on.

inb4 >*you’re

Anonymous

I really wish Ganker had a system like tripcodes where if you make a retarded enough post your ip gets blacklisted with a little icon and people just know not to bother replying to you.

Anonymous
                        Anonymous

Of course this is the type of retard that turns regular sentences into questions? With that insanely autistic way of talking?

Anonymous

sounds like you want to browse reddit,

Anonymous

They taught me what in media res what in high school AP english lol Film is a meme major

Anonymous

Based anon who’s actually right about everything.

Anonymous

>It really fucking is. It’s very, VERY basic part of medial terminology. How much fucking isolated are you? Have you NEVER read a movie review, or any form of theoretical look at storytelling what so ever? This is basic highschool terminology, unless you literally went working the fucking coal mine after elementary, you should know this term.
                    People don’t read, nearly at all anymore. That’s the whole problem. Anon apparently can’t even read a dictionary at this point.

Anonymous

you’re some kind of advanced retard ain’t ya? The kind that’s slowly discovering the limits of your understanding and scope.

Anonymous

You can’t accept that you were wrong and uninformed? Lol.

Anonymous

>hermetic doesn’t mean inaccessible
            i fucking hate this place
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeticism_(poetry)

Anonymous

>poetry
              We’re talking about video games, midwit.

Anonymous

same concept can be applied to different medias you retard. the in media res thing itself originates from literature

Anonymous

>retarded dimwit cant tell the difference between poems and games
                  SAD!

Anonymous

>retard can’t read a dictionary
                    Kek

Anonymous

Language is ever evolving

Anonymous

>Language is ever evolving
              Yes, but that does not mean you get away with saying any bullshit you want. Evolution of language is not an excuse for you misusing it. You fuckers REALLY need to fucking get this through your skulls, because I see this absolute stupidity very often around this place.

Anonymous

>I used a word in the wrong context because I’m an idiot and probably not even a native speaker?
              >That’s fine, I’ll just get everyone else to say it. Then I will be retroactively in the right

Anonymous

>That’s fine, I’ll just get everyone else to say it. T
                Actually, that IS how language change, or "evolution" does work. If you can get enough people to use it the way you use it, it WILL become actually the correct meaning.

But of course, that rarely happens, actually actively initiating such a massive shift in usage, which has to affect both laik and academic public, is incredibly hard and rare to happen.

The real proble (and the nature of this case) is that people tend to use the word in a way that nobody else understands it (and will continue not using it that way), then declaring it’s fine because "language change means there is no REAL wrong use."

It’s like the people trying to argue that the word "liminal" now means "uncanny" or "empty" because of some shitty reddit creepypastas has and how that is totally true because "language changes", ignoring the fact that they are an incredibly insignificant minority that nobody else pays attention, and that has zero relevance or influence on broad public, much less academia.

"Language changes" became a cheap excuse how to get out of being called out on simple language misuse.

But, if you really CAN get majority of the speakers to actually change the use, then that is fine, that is the language change working as it should be.
                It’s just that this really isn’t that case.

Anonymous

>Because hermetic does not mean the same as inaccessible, and never had. Not in common usage, or anywhere else.
            Hermetically sealed is a fucking marketing term, fuck off child.

Anonymous

Why didn’t he just say that then

Anonymous

I don’t really get what he means still since isn’t that like THE point? Colt has no memory about why he’s stuck in a time loop and he, and the player, have to slowly figure out everything? What exactly is he upset about?

Anonymous

>What exactly is he upset about?
            Well, as mentioned somewhere above, in medias res opening can be done right, but it can also be done poorly. When done right, it immediately raises the intrigue and tension from the start, making sure you don’t get bored before the more exciting moments come, while also encouraging curiosity and investment, making you WANT to know what is going on.

But if it’s done poorly, it may just make you feel overwhelmed, frustrated, patronized or straight up disinterested.
            I think his point is that Deathloop does it poorly, not that it is wrong to start in medias res to begin with.

Anonymous

It’s funny that the best we can do is "think his point" is something because he didn’t actually articulate anything.

Anonymous

>It’s funny that the best we can do is "think his point"
                Well, yeah. But that itself isn’t unusual. It’s how communication works – we always do have to do fill in a lot of the gaps and just try to mine out meaning from what others say, to me that is just completely normal and natural part of the process of communication.
                Also, it’s a fucking twitter post. Ideally, we should really all finally admit that twitter is NOT actually communication. It’s just a fucking media based equivalent of what cancer is to life – an entirely sick, fucked up and inherently harmful shitfest that unfortunately does have to accompany our life / technological development.

But I did wonder for a while, when I saw A) how much he misunderstands the meaning of word hermetic, and B) how many people nowdays seem to be baffled by the concept of "in media res", if he maybe isn’t actually using even that term wrong.

There is a part of me that wonders if he actually does not think of something ENTIRELY different.
                But… you know. Grice and charity. It’s better to assume he has a point and that he did get as close to formulating as he could.

Anonymous

>Well, yeah. But that itself isn’t unusual. It’s how communication works – we always do have to do fill in a lot of the gaps and just try to mine out meaning from what others say, to me that is just completely normal and natural part of the process of communication.

Christ, trying to talk about a video game shouldn’t devolve into some bullshit where we have to outline Gricean maxims and semiotics. The guy should have just used plain and effective language.

Anonymous

>Christ, trying to talk about a video game shouldn’t devolve into some bullshit where we have to outline Gricean maxims and semiotics.
                    I consider this elevation, not devolution. But then again for obvious reasons, I may be biased on this.
                    Also, isn’t this whole thread about someone saying something nobody can properly understand? I’d say basic theory of communication is very much unavoidable in this scenario.

What
                    No you fucking retard I’m saying the liberal art known as "history" is studied better than it’s ever been studied before

>No you fucking retard I’m saying the liberal art known as "history" is studied better than it’s ever been studied before
                    OK, I misunderstood you there, sorry. Though I would point out that our current state of history theory is just as riddled with holes as it was in the past. The sole actual major improvement is that we are more aware of these holes and open to admit their existence, rather than being blissfully ignorant, which I guess is a big improvement on paper. But then again it also has become a massive excuse to just excuse sloppy work and turn deliberate manipulation into acceptable strategy because "it’s fine as long as we pretend to be transparent about it". Which in the end unfortunately ends up being as crappy as the past undisclosed manipulations were.

Otherwise, while I think history is one of the more stable and less fucked up part of social theory, I would still say it follows "two steps forward, two steps back, and occasionally shoot a random bypasser in the leg" philosophy most of social and liberal studies have been following.

Then again, I don’t necessary want to say all academic disciplines are supposed to be always going through a straight, linear objective improvement process. That would be unrealistically optimistic to expect.

Anonymous

what the fuck does that even mean english faggots? explain yourself, it’s driving me mad

Anonymous

It’s latin and means that it throws you right into the story and you have to try and understand it by discovering stuff and not be forcefed it on a silver platter.

Anonymous

Isn’t that literally the entire premise of the game?
          Why would you list that as a con? That’d be like saying Mario jumping on platforms is bad.

Anonymous

Bear in mind he also listed bootleg Bioshock as a pro, so he may just be a fucking idiot overall.

Anonymous

The appeal of media res is in it’s ability to immediate engage the audience while alleviating the need for tedious exposition. But like any type of tool, it can be done poorly – throw the audience into the final 3rd of a normal plot and they’ll spend more time trying to adjust rather than getting engaged with the characters. The risk is even higher if it’s a jargon filled narrative – look at how many people loathe the start of FF13.
            For a game based around repetitive story telling, it sounds like wouldn’t be an issue. And you still have to be a colossal faggot to call it "too hermetic"

Anonymous

Like someone else mentioned it means to begin a story in the midst of the action and plot. "Hermetic" means like, sealed off. So I THINK, I’m not sure because he phrased it like a pretentious retard, but I think he was trying to say "The beginning in the thick of it is too tight (sealed). I felt like I was beginning in the thick of things but then the game restricted my actions so much that this felt pointless." I really can’t be sure though, it’s such a twat thing to say.

I had to google "hermetic" to see if there was some other definition of the word I’m not aware of and apparently there isn’t so I have no idea what the fuck he’s talking about.

I think he means "tight and closed off" as in you begin in the thick of things but the game restricts your actions so much it doesn’t feel that way/it feels pointless.

Anonymous

It’s not ‘sealed off’. It’s like esoteric, hard to understand, obscure. What the guy meant was that he felt being thrown into a lot of shit all at once because it was in media res.

Anonymous

In a mechanical context "hermetic" is used to mean "sealed off". Like a hermetic seal. That’s probably not the usage he meant but it’s a valid one.

Anonymous

In media res is by nature "hermetic".

Anonymous

shut the fuck up and go back to your slum, you stupid ESL faggot

Anonymous

it starts in the middle of things and you can’t leave leading to a sterile experience

Anonymous

It insists upon itself Lois

Anonymous

Jesus, I knew Ganker wasn’t exactly the brightest of the boards but you can’t even understand basic academic words?

Anonymous

I’m learning how to repair industrial boilers, internal combustion engines, diesel generators, and other shit that basically makes the world function. Not pointless retarded shit for limpwristed slackjawed faggots to whine about while having a frappuccino in their fake ass office that generates fake "jobs" which surmount to nothing more than whining about the lack of transsexual benderqueer otherkin representation in children’s cartoons.

Anonymous

based

Anonymous

unfathomly based.
          all these Twitter subhumans need to be lined up against a wall.

No but ESLs are having trouble literally understanding the meaning of the individual parts of that phrase. What we cannot figure out is why he added the fucking word "hermetic". I googled "en media res hermetic" literally no results because it’s not a real phrase and doesn’t fucking mean anything. This dude’s just a fag trying to sound smart and so are you.

in medias res isn’t even English, you rambling tryhard. you should be skinned and culled like a dog in China you Angloid shitbirth. English is the language of whores and sons of whores. that’s why the entire world speaks it. literally cumdumpster cheap ass prostitute tier low iq language.

Anonymous

Imagine needing to put down other people just because you feel bad about not knowing a word they use

Anonymous

>Imagine needing to put down other people
            You mean like pooping on someone who didn’t pick up some utterly useless faggot lingo trivia from some queer leftist uni? Yeah, I can only imagine.

Anonymous

No, I mean like pooping on an entire group of people because someone unrelated to them called you a dense faggot lmao

Anonymous

>liberal arts faggots
                >people
                lmao
                If all the engineers died overnight, humanity would face catastrophe that would put the species on the brink of extinction.
                If all the journalists, bloggers, sociologists and other scum died overnight, humanity would only be better off for it.

These lowly trash are not "people". They’re scum-sucking parasites.

Anonymous

>These lowly trash are not "people". They’re scum-sucking parasites.
                  Yeah, we can all see you are not insecure as fuck about your own relevance to this world. At all.

Anonymous

being relevant to this piss earth is a pejorative

Anonymous

>being relevant to this piss earth is a pejorative
                      You don’t even realize the hillarious contradiction to the post you made few minutes ago.

I’m sure you are a fucking fountain of wisdom and we should all really care to what you are saying. Your opinions are really interesting and useful to all of us.

Anonymous

>If all the journalists, bloggers, sociologists and other scum died overnight, humanity would only be better off for it.
                        he was right when he said this, these people are active and important, in the worst of ways

Anonymous

>these people are active and important, in the worst of ways
                        There is a MASSIVE, MAJOR problem with conteporary social and liberal studies for sure, and yes, they can actually become an active harm to the society.
                        But I don’t think that is what he is saying, or even something he genuinely understands. He is literally just screeching out bile and insecurity like a broken child, not realizing he himself is a very good illustration of the actual impact these fields can have in the first place.

Someone who cannot remain coherent or consistent across two posts in a row generally isn’t worth listening to. Even if he happens to say something half-true at one point, it’s out of sheer random chance, a broken watch scenario.

This poor kid sure as fuck does not have the capacity to begin understanding what is and isn’t important or dangerous to the society itself.

Anonymous

ok fair

Anonymous

I study history and I wouldn’t say there’s any problem with it, in fact it’s way better than it’s ever been before at any point in, uh, history.

Anonymous

>I study history and I wouldn’t say there’s any problem with it,
                        Are you kidding me? We have not learned a SINGLE lesson from the events of the last century, our social paradigms are currently EXACTLY as fucked as they were in the first decades of 20th century. I’m not saying this is the worst state of social paradigms ever to happen in human history, but it sure as fuck is very close to what it was very shortly before the worst times of our modern history.

Anonymous

What
                        No you fucking retard I’m saying the liberal art known as "history" is studied better than it’s ever been studied before

Anonymous

Why are you doing it again when I just told you it’s embarrassing

Anonymous

You tight lil nigga

Anonymous

I refuse to learn garbage latin phrases that are in latin without any good reason

Anonymous

>I refuse to learn garbage latin phrases that are in latin without any good reason
          nobody tell him about coup d’etats, schadenfreude, kowtowing, and bungalows

Anonymous

coup d’etat, classic latin

Anonymous

yes the latin phrase schadenfreude. how could anyone forget their LATIN.

Anonymous

Schadenfreude actually comes from Finnish, means to laugh at the joys of life. Nice latins there. Midwits.

Anonymous

How is nobody understanding that none of your examples are Latin so obviously you’re just talking about loan words in general

Anonymous

I don’t think anyone is having trouble understanding that. How are you having trouble understanding that out of all of those languages, Latin is the one no one on the planet actually speaks outside of retarded loan words? Extra points for English descending from Latin and still being obnoxious enough to use latin phrases for literally no reason. It’s pure pretense.

Anonymous

>It’s pure pretense.
                How fucking insecure are you, really?
                Yeah. Simple reality of language and cultural history is PRETENSE.

Kid, the reality does not give a fuck about you. The fact that it makes you feel insecure is your problem, and does not necessarily mean it was deliberately made to make you feel insecure.

Just learn to make peace with the fact that world has it’s own logic that does not care about you one way or another. it’s not pretense, it’s just the fact that not everything in the world will be specifically set up to make sense to you.

Anonymous

Are you that guy that keeps replying to everyone, I’m glad I got the opportunity to make you mad about something too

Anonymous

>I’m glad I got the opportunity to make you mad about something too
                    You are the one who claims that something he does not like must be a PRETENSE. You are making only yourself mad. On the rare occassion someone like me is generous enough to give you some attention, they are not doing it because they are mad.
                    We just pitty you.
                    I know it’s a difficult distinction for you to make, but trust me, it’s a significant one.

Anonymous

Keep going

Anonymous

Have you nothing better to do?

Anonymous

Yes, a lot of it was originally founded in pretention, but it’s too late now and it’s just a basic part of our language. In medias res is a totally normal technical phrase, it’s "hermetic" which was unusual.

Anonymous

Because the point of discussion here isn’t to understand what others are saying, but to find reasons to fight them.

Anonymous

You probably use some and don’t even realize it because you are an uneducated tard.

Anonymous

I understand in medias res and hermetic, but what the fuck is that supposed to mean put together? The story starts in the middle of things, and it is too sealed in to that framing? This word choice wreaks of midwit that just found some new words that he wants to smash together.

Anonymous

No but ESLs are having trouble literally understanding the meaning of the individual parts of that phrase. What we cannot figure out is why he added the fucking word "hermetic". I googled "en media res hermetic" literally no results because it’s not a real phrase and doesn’t fucking mean anything. This dude’s just a fag trying to sound smart and so are you.

Anonymous

I’m an ESL and I understood it
          I mean what he’s trying to say is still unclear but I don’t think he has any idea either

Anonymous

>I understood it
            >except i didn’t
            Stunning

Anonymous

He wanted to say hectic but he’s a low IQ retard so he used the wrong word, mystery solved

Anonymous

Angloid idiocy at its finest. Those "difficult academic words" are almost exactly the same in every language precisely because they’re rarely used and haven’t morphed much from their Latin/Greek roots.

Anonymous

It’s video games and video game reviews. Who the fuck is using academic words?

Anonymous

>Who the fuck is using academic words?
          Failed academics

Anonymous

I can only assume they meant frenetic

Anonymous

The one smart post here.

Anonymous

> bootleg bioshock [this is good]
      >awful character control
      ok what the fuck is this dumbass on about

Anonymous

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

Anonymous

Just say "The middle of the story gets too confusing" you douche. Who do you think you’re impressing?

Anonymous

>Just say "The middle of the story gets too confusing" you douche.
        Wait.
        I get that people are confused by the incorrect use of the word "hermetic", but do you SERIOUSLY not know what "in medias res" fucking mean?

Anonymous

It’s not a common phrase and has literally never been. I’m more baffled that you can’t believe he doesn’t know what it means honestly. Although it couldn’t be… you’re not just being overtly pretentious are you? Because that sure would be fucking retarded.

Anonymous

Nobody does, that’s the point.

Anonymous

SILENCE
        YOU WORTHLESS FUCKING NOBODY
        RESPECT OUR COMMON ROMAN HERITAGE INSTEAD OF PROMOTING YOUR FAGGOT REVISIONISM

Anonymous

>The middle of the story gets too confusing"
        That’s not at all what he means lol

Anonymous

FF13 – you see cutscenes showing the 13 days that lead up to this
      FF15 – the movie is happening the moment the game begins

both throw you into a story that is already happening

Anonymous

i didn’t like deathloop
      reasons :
      >in medias res too hermetic

Anonymous

The funniest thing is, I understand his point and can’t think of a better way to name it

Anonymous

>story is shit at first

Anonymous

I can’t think of anything I hate more than people trying to act smart by throwing around random terms.

Anonymous

The fuck is "lack of discipline" in a fucking game?

Anonymous

Probably a question of focus, throwing in everything you can think of instead of refining the parts that work.

Anonymous

Amateurish mistakes in a AAA product

Anonymous

it means he’s racist and wants to enslave the protagonists

Anonymous

>it’s a Ganker tries to act intelligent episode

Anonymous

Notice that the only comment on gameplay is under Bad.

Anonymous

Everyone itt knows what "in medias res" means
      Everyone itt knows what "Hermetic" means
      Now can anyone explain how "in medias res" can be "hermetic" in excess?

Anonymous

here’s an example with metroid dread. how are you even supposed to know what’s going on?

Anonymous

>speeding up the text
          >hurrr what is going on

it’s his fault

Anonymous

it’s david jaffe, and yes it’s his fault however he quickly got stuck early in the game because he didn’t know where to go or what to do, rage quit, and then blamed it on the game design.

Anonymous

oh and he skipped through a game over sequence and quit without saving losing a bunch of progress after he tried "starting over" to prove the game has bad design and it wasn’t just him being a retard.

Anonymous

Wow, and to think he used to make games.

Anonymous

Didn’t this guy just make an entire game of cutscenes? Like what the fuck is going on, is he off his meds or something

Anonymous

He’s the creator of the original, shitty God of War games, not the new, somehow even shittier God of War games.

He’s basically irrelevant now and his career is over so he’s just an annoying online "opinions guy".

Anonymous

Yeah, this is definitely in medias a bit too hermentic. Pretty insightful insight, but might be a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world.

Anonymous

I hope Jaffe becomes the new DSP. This shit is hilarious.

Anonymous

Fucking piece of shit.

Anonymous

What does in media res means

Anonymous

>What does in media res means
          "In media res" is a form of literary device, more specifically one of the possible ways to open up your story. It basically means that you do not start the story with exposition and introductions, but rather throw the audience right into action, "in the middle of things" which is what it literally translates to.

So for an example, Hobbit, which starts with like 15 pages of explaining what the fuck is a Hobbit, then with 40 pages introducing who dwarves and wizards are, and what will be the logic behind the upcoming adventure, is not an "in media res" opening.
          That fucking Prototype game which starts with the protagonist equipped with late-game skills murdering his way through thousands of people and monsters, while we don’t even know who the main protagonist is, or what is going on: that is an extreme example of in media res opening.
          In media res tends to be more immediately exciting, but risk also being potentially confusing as it gives you the exciting parts sooner, but postpones making sense of or being clear.

If you mishandle a in-media-res opening, the audience can become annoyied, as the story treats events as if they are supposed to make sense, but does not give you the tools to actually make sense of them.

Which I think is what the twitter post in OP was trying to say – that Deathloop kinda fucked up the ballance between building intrigue, quickly delivering you to the "cool" bits, and making the story still comprehensible and legible enough to be interesting.

Anonymous

Thanks anon, so using it as the twitter fag is just pseudo intellectual babble with no meaning at all.

Anonymous

>Thanks anon, so using it as the twitter fag is just pseudo intellectual babble with no meaning at all.
              Well, first of all, you don’t normall just say "in media res is _something_", that is one hell of an awkward wording, but that might be just result of the idiotic twitter message contraint itself.

It’s still fairly clear he wants to talk about how the game does start by explaining very little to you, instead throwing you right into the think of the action and let you learn the context later.

To call hermetic however, is just fucking wrong. It’s like saying Superman is a homophony to Jesus Christ. You can sorta kinda see what he was trying to say, but he just chose the wrong word there.

Anonymous

you clearly don’t know all meanings of the word hermetic

Anonymous

>hurr gun in the right hand, power in the left therefore bootleg bioshock
      >im so full of unique opinions and thoughts

Anonymous

>good
      >bootleg
      What? This guy has no idea how to write.

Anonymous

It’s code for
      >major characters are diverse folk

Anonymous

>hmm if I say the story was to difficult to understand I’ll be mocked
      >I know what to do
      why do they try so hard to act like they’re reviewing the most exquisite piece of art or literature when they write like this about a videogame? they’re not going to fool anyone.

Anonymous

This dude reviews fucking kids toys for a living, who is he kidding with this flowery language?

Anonymous

>flowery language
        It’s middle school english lit terminology.

Anonymous

No he doesn’t, you absolute mouth breather

Anonymous

I hate pseuds so much it’s unreal.

Anonymous

We’re still talking about this garbage pozzed turd? Why is Ganker obsessed with melanoidgames? It failed, move on y’all.

Anonymous

Faggots like this clown who uses words no one else does to sound smart are usually fucking retards

Anonymous

>Faggots like this clown who uses words no one else does to sound smart
        He is not using therms no one else does.
        He uses terms that are pretty basic and commonly used.
        He is using them wrong however, and that really is the whole problem here.

Anonymous

When’s the last time you heard anyone use that term in any way besides your fucking history teacher in highschool.

Anonymous

>When’s the last time you heard anyone use that term in any way besides your fucking history teacher in highschool.
            Which one? In media res? Because I pretty much do hear that term on daily basis. But even if I filter out the fact that I work in academia and with narrative theory among other things: that shit is used in every other basic review and article that in some way reflects movies, books or other narrative media.

Again. It REALLY is a very common term.

As for the use of the term hermetic, sure, that is more limited. But it’s not because the term itself is particularly obscure or unknown, it’s just that it really only does have utility in a rather narrow selection of fields. It’s term with meaning for history, philosophy, and to a lesser degree fields like sociology, literary history, or religious studies.
            You will come across is quite commonly if you have even remote interest in any of those fields, but pretty much always only in context of those fields.

It’s just that this guy, again, used it wrong here.

Anonymous

Why would it be used in every other basic review or article? Are you trying to say that at least 50% of all stories start in the middle? It sure sounds like a load of bullshit to me but hey I don’t go on the internet and make a bunch of shit up so maybe you did a good job, I’m not the expert.

Anonymous

>Why would it be used in every other basic review or article? Are you trying to say that at least 50% of all stories start in the middle
                Actually, in media res has became somewhat of a default narrative opening in the last 50 years, especially in popular media. And it is INSANELY popular in gaming in particular. Remember the time every fucking game had to start with that annoying "ability-tease" flash forward bullshit?
                So yeah, in medias res IS actually more of a default opening than the other one.

So it’s a very common tool, and a very common term, that is my point.
                It also does not really have a commonly used opposition, which heightens it’s use.

In media res is supposed to be a binary opposition to "ab ovo", but that term never caught up in public use, so it’s really just "nothing/normal" vs. "in media res" opposition, and that makes things awkward. So it’s really not uncommon for people to actually say "the story does not begin in media res" instead of saying "the story does begin ab ovo / normally" – not just because in medias res is so popular, but because we really don’t have a near term for it’s opposition.

Anonymous

Fuck off Adrian

Anonymous

You are talking so far out of your ass you’ve become all hole, no man.

Anonymous

His post was easy to follow. Lurk more and grind your reading comprehension.

Anonymous

The implication wasn’t that it was hard to follow, if that’s where your mind went first I think you’re the problem here.

Anonymous

>You are talking so far out of your ass you’ve become all hole, no man.
                    You are still on this thing, kid?
                    Yeah, we established you are incredibly insecure.
                    An hour ago.

You really are not achieving much just desperately repeating it over and over.

Anonymous

You must be batting like 0.1% in terms of actually replying to the right person at this point. You’re so upset over it you’re bringing it up to everyone. Sorry that guy fucked your life up or whatever but I don’t really care.

Anonymous

>Sorry that guy fucked your life up or whatever but I don’t really care.
                        Sure, I can see that. Your endless desperate screeching and anger really shows me how above this you are.

You have been doing nothing but saying "I HATE YOU SHUT UP FUCK YOU NO STOP I HATE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING" for hours and hours on now. Nothing proves how much you don’t care quite as much as constant screeching and angry noises – that is an embodiment of being above things alright.

Anonymous

okay

Anonymous

There is no need to specify that someone begins at the beginning you fucking retard

Anonymous

>There is no need to specify that someone begins at the beginning you fucking retard
                    Well, as you can see, there kinda is.

Anonymous

>He is not using therms no one else does.
          Nobody who isn’t a subhuman faggot in liberal arts has ever used this term.

Anonymous

Nobody uses that term, but he used it correctly. Read a dictionary.

Anonymous

A lot of pseuds do this, but it’s no excuse to keep repeating yourself when a single term would suffice.

Anonymous

Hermetic you say?

Anonymous

based Hermete

Anonymous

basically your shits all retarded and you talk like a fag

Anonymous

The talos principle. I loved it though

Anonymous

Damn, this schizo spamming "kid" everywhere got BTFO by the dictionary.

Anonymous

why is /vee/ filled with retards arguing about meaningless shit and things they hate instead of talking about/playing fucking video games? What a generation of retarded woman-like weak "men".

Anonymous

Because everyone here knows absolutely fuck all about video games, I’d have a better conversation talking about video games to a wall.

also talking about video games instead of playing them is fucking retarded anyway, it’s a children’s toy adults play with, not much to say of value.

Anonymous

You can talk about the gameplay or the lore, it’s interesting.
          >it’s a children’s toy adults play with, not much to say of value.
          dumb washed out "doomer" mindset, there’s still good video games worth exploring and experiencing, look at the outer wilds.

Anonymous

I didn’t say they aren’t good. I love outer wilds, I just have no desire to talk about it with a bunch of retards that never leave the house. The only value this place has is shitposting.

Anonymous

The outer wilds threads were the best on Ganker, people were even kind enough to use spoilers all the time for newcomers. It was way above the usual garbage you see on Ganker.

Anonymous

I saw them, and like yeah they were civil and pleasant but it’s not like anyone had anything worthwhile to say on the subject.

Anonymous

Ganker has been full of new normalfags who obsess over coming to a video game forum and acting superior while trying to insult others for playing video games. The childish behavior everywhere is so tiresome.

Anonymous

>Bootleg Bioshock
      >Good

Anonymous

so what about the gameplay

Anonymous

>Bioshock was the first game like it
      I’m so sick of these fucking people I can hardly stand it.

Anonymous

Throwing out random latin just makes it harder to understand someone. You look like the weebs using japanese words in a middle of a sentence.

Anonymous

I found the in media res quite shallow and pedantic

Anonymous

He’s an ESL, what’d you expect?

Anonymous

Exactly this, he probably saw hermetic being used to mean arcane and esoteric once and didn’t realise how unusual that meaning is.

Anonymous

>Exactly this, he probably saw hermetic being used to mean arcane and esoteric once
          I’m pretty sure he thinks hermetic means "inaccessible", meaning he likely isn’t aware of it’s original meaning to begin with.
          Also, being ESL actually does not matter here at all. The term is used the same way in just about every western language – from Czech to Irish, as it’s a latin, derived from a proper name and refering originally to a specific historical schools of thinking.

Anonymous

>I’m pretty sure he thinks hermetic means "inaccessible"
            it literally does mean that

>relating to or characterized by subjects that are mysterious and difficult to understand
            https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hermetic

Anonymous

>it literally does mean that
              It literally does not.
              Not even in the irrelevant on-line version of Merriam-Webster you quote. Much less in actual reality.
              The meaning of the word Hermetic is related to the idea of inaccessibility, but that does not mean it’s the same thing.

Anonymous

Something that is difficult to understand can be said to be inaccessible.

Either way due in OP wasn’t saying it’s inaccessible obviously, not sure where you got that from.

Anonymous

>Something that is difficult to understand can be said to be inaccessible.
                  Yes.
                  But hermetic does not mean "difficult to understand".
                  It means a particular mystical view of the world, just so happens to also be very difficult to understand.

Homophony refers to some form of similarity, but you can’t claim that everything that is similar can be called "homophonic".
                  Hermetism refers to some form of difficult-to-understand views, but you can’t claim that everything that is hard to understand is hermetic.

>Either way due in OP wasn’t saying it’s inaccessible obviously
                  The fuck did you think he was trying to say?

Anonymous

>But hermetic does not mean "difficult to understand"
                    Literally what it says in the dictionary, end of discussion.

>The fuck did you think he was trying to say?
                    What the word means.

Anonymous

>Literally what it says in the dictionary, end of discussion.
                      You really are three years old, aren’t you? I would ask if you know whaat the problem of prescriptivity vs. illustrativity of dictionary is all about, but we all already know the answer to that, don’t we?

>What the word means.
                      Which you don’t know.

Anonymous

"relating to or characterized by subjects that are mysterious and difficult to understand : relating to or characterized by occultism or abstruseness"

Anonymous

What dictionary is that in? I couldn’t find any equivalent sense in the Oxford dictionary.

Anonymous

Merriam webster

Anonymous

It doesn’t matter where the term derives from or what it meant oeiginally. Different languages and cultures canorph a loanword in many different ways. Just see the difference in how "pederast" is used in Russian/eastern euro countries vs its usage in anglo countries.

Anonymous

>Different languages and cultures canorph a loanword in many different ways.
              While that is true, it’s not true in this particular case.
              Also, I can’t speak for Russian, but I’m an east european slav, and I can tell you the word pedarast in my language, as well as in the three neighbouring slav-speaking countries, is the same as in English, both of them adopting it without major shift of meaning from early Christian, latin reference that we all share.

Anonymous

What a fucking moron. Thats the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT of starting in media res. You set up a bunch of mysteries and questions about how shit got to this point and then proceed to answer them throughout the story.

Anonymous

This thread reminds me of when Laidlaw posted the HL3 plot and suddenly bakas were making posts, claiming that nobody on Ganker knew what a Dyson Sphere was until they saw that specific HL3 post.

Anonymous

to be fair most people probably do not know what a dyson sphere is even though they have probably heard the term.

Anonymous

>good
      >bootleg Bioshock

Anonymous

OK, but how is its ludonarrative dissonance?

Anonymous
        Anonymous
      Anonymous

>bioshockfag
      Opinion disregarded

Anonymous

This is what activated almonds does to a mf

Anonymous

I think that is a sure sign that a game insists upon itself

Anonymous

boomer here
      do zoomers not learn latin and greek and high school anymore

Anonymous

lgtss

Anonymous

what did he mean by this? genuinely asking

Anonymous

Holy shit everyone in this thread is esl. Kys immediately

Anonymous

pissed in mouth
        on dick spinned language yours
        condom fucking

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.