What are some unnecessary vidya technologies? I don’t understand shit like ambient occlusion th…

Home Forums A haunted junk yard What are some unnecessary vidya technologies? I don’t understand shit like ambient occlusion th…

• This topic has 105 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What are some unnecessary vidya technologies? I don’t understand shit like ambient occlusion that is obviously screen spaced and creates halos and other artifacts that draw attention to them all the time.

Anonymous

wait, isnt the middle guy highest iq because he is highest up?

Anonymous

That’s not how it works

Anonymous

BASED RETARD

Anonymous

that margin represents the majority, aka mid-iq people

Anonymous
        Anonymous

fpbp

Anonymous

Of course anon, of course

Anonymous

I WILL fall for this bait and I WILL be happy

Anonymous

Based.

>just draw the room thrice
          >just draw the room N

Etc.

But you don’t have to render thousands of reflections like that. Only relevant ones, and you can optimize what’s reflected similarly to how raytracing is optimized. It still performs better — see the second modern Hitman game.

Anonymous

based Frasier of replies

Anonymous

You, on the left.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

That’s right, but retards pretend the smaller ones are better. Fucking cretins

Anonymous

holy based. statistics btfo

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

based

Anonymous

It must, be it can’t be a "bell curve" whatever that is because I don’t see or hear a bell.

Anonymous

Based retard filtering out the midwits

Anonymous

Y axis is supposed to be labelled % of population
        Middle represents "average IQ" where most people are
        Left side is retards
        Right side is geniuses

Anonymous

Anon I think you need to review standard deviations.

It’s a scale. Leftmost has lowest numbers rightmost has highest numbers.

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

IQ is the X axis, Y should represent population (it is unmarked in the chart though). Bell curves are supposed to show distribution, so what the chart is showing is the average person would justify the technology, while small slivers of our population that represents both retards and geniuses think the technology is a waste.

Anonymous

I, too, only browse Ganker when i’m high as fuck

Anonymous

midwit retard lol

Anonymous
        Anonymous
        Anonymous

I love you.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Congratulations, you are that guy.

Anonymous

Lmao this is actually good bait

Anonymous

I kneel

Anonymous

someone post that schizo image with gigachad presenting a nonsensical bell curve

Anonymous

Based

Anonymous

Thanks for the good kek

Anonymous

In fairness to this retard , the axes on the graph aren’t labeled. Anyone familiar with the IQ bell curve would get the joke without the label, but more importantly, fuck wojak diverse folk.

Anonymous

/thread

Anonymous

This is a good argument against RT reflections – sort of – except proper ray tracing does a whole lot more to fix lighting issues, such as your ambient occlusion example, and from a dev’s perspective mirroring entire rooms is still a pain in the ass and requires far more meticulous attention to detail than raytracing which will automatically draw exactly accurate reflections coordinating with the type of material it is being drawn on with no effort required from the developer’s end.

Anonymous

>select assets
        >mirror assets
        Come on anon

Anonymous

>just draw the room thrice
      >just draw the room N

Etc.

Anonymous

I

Anonymous

G

Anonymous

G

Anonymous

E

Anonymous
                Anonymous

R

Anonymous

>just draw the room N
        What the hell? Do game devs really say this to their employees? They don’t even pay them a living wage on top of that either? Uhhh…

Anonymous

Retards too stupid to understand how these charts work.

Anonymous

Kind of like the OP, who posted a chart with two axes and only labeled one of them.

Anonymous

>DoF
      >Blur
      I have eyes, you shit, you don’t to simulate them for me.

Anonymous

This. I fucking hate this garbage. I always turn it off. Same thing with film grain. Chromatic aberration.

Anonymous

>Chromatic aberration
          why the fuck this shit even exists?

Anonymous

Your eye has chromatic aberration too. You can never escape it.

Anonymous

Because camera defects make things more cinematic

Anonymous

but i wan´t to play a game not watch a movie

Anonymous

Movies have dof and blur, why shouldn’t games?
        Your eyes don’t react the same way for reality vs a computer screen.

Anonymous

They have blur because they are shot at low shutter speed and fps. They have dof because of how some lenses work, it’s done to get the best picture, and sometimes artistically. Games don’t have these limitations, and there is nothing artistic about 99% of blur applications, like during reloads.

Anonymous

All lenses can potentially show dof
            >Games don’t have these limitations
            They do in the sense that it’s less realistic which is a failure when you go for realism.
            If your fancy motorsport simulator has no motion blur, it’s just stupid and NOT realistic.
            I’m just saying the "muh eyes do it anyway" argument isn’t actually one. They react differently to a computer screen.

Anonymous

quick
      someone post THAT

Anonymous
          Anonymous

unfathomably based

Anonymous

buta anon…
        not… THAT!!!!! think of the kids!

Anonymous
          Anonymous

>the average enjoyer

Anonymous

This is retarded and disingenuous.
      You trace the rays once, and then you can use the data for better reflections but also better lightning as well.
      And what happens if you need reflections on multiple surfaces? Draw the room a 3rd time? Then a 4th time? 5th? 6th? Once for every metallic surface in the scene? That will destroy the performances a lot faster.
      Meanwhile your lightning is also garbage.
      Raytracing perf hit is worth the complete removal of """"screenspace"""" fake garbage

Anonymous

Let’s see Paul Allen’s raytracing performance benchmark.

Anonymous

Except that even with NVidia cards devs STILL have to make the raytracing low-res with laughable draw distances and aggressive shader LODs.
        Properly curated reflections and lighting will be a better tool for at least 5 more years, 10 if graphics cards stay as expensive as they are.
        As of now, realtime raytracing is used mostly by lazy or unskilled developers and to wow normies with buzzwords.

Anonymous

Idk, still looks markedly better and more realistic to me. Cars are excessively glossy in picrel maybe but otherwise show how scenes are immediately enhanced a fuckload with RT.

Anonymous

It looks better because the devs implemented a shoddy fallback solution for when no raytracing would be used. Cars in games don’t just have no reflections at all without raytracing, that’s just the devs being lazy fucks.

Anonymous

>a shoddy fallback solution

Literally the only viable alternative would be adding screen space reflections to the cars which would still look far worse and exacerbate the problem of them looking overly glossy. Not even to mention how imposssible it would be to create accurate, realtime reflections of the cityscape on surrounding glass buildings as you swing through it. RT is basically the only option to create that effect and it looks great. That’s just a console game too, PS5 GPU is equivalent to a 2070.

Anonymous

>Literally the only viable alternative would be adding screen space reflections
                Screenspace reflections are no alternative at all, they don’t work on cars. Either realtime or baked cubemaps, like it’s been done for decades.

Anonymous

>baked cube maps

Look like total shit, better to just leave the materials matte unless you’re dealing with a massive surface like the vanilla game’s glass skyscrapers

>real time mirror

How exactly would this process work for dynamically moving objects in an open gameworld with constantly changing lighting effects?

Anonymous

have you ever played a racing game in your life? have you played a modern GTA game? jesus christ.

Anonymous

>everything should look like racing games from 2008!

Anonymous

all racing games not on PC or 9th gen consoles use cubemaps + planar + screenspace reflections, retard. the snoy devs turned every one of those features off for the comparison to pretend like the alternative to ray-tracing is no reflections in a fucking modern game. it’s absurd and ray-tracing is good enough that it doesn’t need this kind of scam marketing. I’m all for ray-tracing but CARS are the last thing that needs it. we already figured out how to make cars look basically real a decade ago.

Anonymous

>30fps
            And when you don’t pay attention to mirror surfaces and play the game, you don’t even care.

Anonymous

Okay? You could argue this about literally any graphical advancement ever. Obviously things get more demanding to keep pace with hardware capabilities.

Anonymous

the top one is such an obvious bullshit, Ubisoft would be proud.
            >place harsh hero lights to create interesting highlights and shadows on Spiderman that are just missing in the other version
            >have NO reflections on highly reflective surfaces
            troll tier. but what do you expect from snoys.

Anonymous
                Anonymous

it’s a kind of reverse bullshot where instead of exaggerating how good your thing is you absurdly nerf the thing you’re comparing against.

Anonymous

That’s actually how spiderman looks like on PS4.
                  Not sure for the car shot, but the window reflection definitly looks this bad with just oldgen cubemaps
                  And really I would still choose 60FPS any day anyway, but the game does have an RT+60FPS mode.

Anonymous

>STILL have to make the raytracing low-res with laughable draw distances and aggressive shader LODs.
          Check out Control
          The tech is here, like it or not.

Anonymous

>just draw the room twice
      Only works for flat, polished surfaces. And with N such surfaces you need to render N+1 times. And that’s just for a single bounce.

Anonymous

>He doesn’t compute and integrate the discrete BRDF in real time
      ngmi

Anonymous
        Anonymous

and what of nioh?

Anonymous

Film grain is kino so I keep that on
      Motion blur gets turned to either off or like, 10%

Chromatic aberration goes in the garbage unless there’s a very good in-game lore reason why I’d see it

Anonymous

If I can adjust motion blur so there’s only a little bit of it, I leave it on. If it’s on or off, I’ll experiment a bit but the odds say it’s off.
      Film grain looks weird to me. I think it’s a little overused in most instances, so I turn it off.
      Chromatic aberration usually isn’t used that much, and I like how it looks in moderation, so I leave it on.

Anonymous

Depth of field
      Motion blur
      Vignette
      Film grain
      Chromatic Aberration
      I’ll never understand this shit

Anonymous

Sometimes (usually in darker games) DoF makes the effect of things being "in the distance" more convincing, but usually I turn it off too.
        Motion blur usually has to be on its lowest setting or off. It’s fancy but kind of pointless.
        Chromatic aberration looks cool lol

Anonymous

I want it too look like a movie running at 24fps.

Anonymous

ray tracing does a lot more than allow for flat reflections. Yes, specialized tricks obviously work better for the specific things they’re designed for. All modern AAA games since Crysis have had reflective water surfaces, even accounting for waves and displacements. But ultimately these are just perturbed flat surfaces, which you can basically apply the same trick to as with flat mirrors, plus some distortion on top.
      Ray tracing not only allows reflections, but global illumination, soft shadows, diffuse reflections, and lots of other things that have until now required a million different graphics hacks to accomplish.
      That said, the technology is still at a point where it requires a million hacks to integrate ray tracing into graphics pipelines, but that’s just because raster-based methods are still so fast that graphics engineers opt for hybrid approaches. When ray tracing can be used wholesale, it will be much more powerful, and much more natural to implement, with all of those effects emerging naturally from the physical simulation of light.

Anonymous

Pre-baked lighting still looks better than the best raytracing to me.

Anonymous

prebaked lighting is ray-traced.

Anonymous

Raytraced in a way that doesn’t require a processor to be able to do complex raytracing, in huge batches, in real time.

Anonymous

yes, and completely static so you can’t do reflections that way, only the kind of lighting that’s camera-independent.

Anonymous

yes, which comes with the unfortunate problem that neither the light nor the environment can ever move

Anonymous

and only diffuse materials are allowed, because viewpoint-dependent things like glossy surfaces cannot be baked. Unless the viewpoint can’t move either. In which case you’d just call it pre-rendered, because it’s a picture lol.

Anonymous

Pre-baked lighting is pre-baked. It’s shit for videogames. You want your game to be as interactive as possible.

Anonymous

draw twice > raytrace >>>>>>>> screen space

Anonymous

If you make 2 of the room you can put a spooky skeleton in the mirror one

Anonymous
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.