What happened to VR? It was supposed to be the future of gaming and now I never hear anything about …

Home Forums A haunted junk yard What happened to VR? It was supposed to be the future of gaming and now I never hear anything about …

• This topic has 147 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What happened to VR? It was supposed to be the future of gaming and now I never hear anything about it

Anonymous

>devs don’t want to make VR games because the install base is tiny so revenues are minimal
      >people don’t want to buy VR because there’s no games

VR is fucked unless Valve or Facebook bite the bullet and subsidize VR game development until there’s a large enough install base

Anonymous

It’s annoying because there’s this notion that adapting a game to VR means you must go the full motion controls route. Just headset support and joypad would be enough for most.

Anonymous

This.

There was like 1 good mecha game I liked in VR because it was mostly just sit down and fuck around in the cockpit to killshit.
          After work I just want to sit down and relax, running around in circles and swinging my arms is a pain in the ass.

Could use a brat Saber competitor too, beat Saber gets old.

Anonymous

>Could use a brat Saber competitor too, beat Saber gets old.
            Beat Saber suffers the same fate as every other "custom song" rhythm game. Everything is either memeshit or 12 Another-end game stuff, neither teaching new players the fundamentals.

Anonymous

This. Racing games are the most obvious, but a lot of first person games would work. A lot of shooters might be a nightmare because you’d have to rethink how the crosshairs work, but there are plenty of chill first person games where it wouldn’t be a big issue.

Anonymous

Resi 7 worked well with pad controls. You just aim with your head.

Anonymous

Racing games work because they’re one of the few things that actually provide the proper haptic feedback to let them function really well. Most VR games have you hitting air because they can’t simulate having your weapon pushed back in any way that would make sense.

Anonymous

A sharp vibration would be good enough, it instinctively makes you recoil.
              Not the same as if you actually hit something, but gives you the "feedback" to bring your hand back as opposed to just hitting nothing.

Guns work fine for the most part, loading and aiming is kinda awkward and so is handling recoil. But for single shot guns its pretty decent.

Anonymous

only if you are expected to stay mostly stationary. Any body rotation thats outside of your head’s control and your vestibular system going kaput.
          this renders most of the games unsuitable.

Anonymous

Well yeah. Leaning in a chair is neat but I wouldn’t expect people to just stand there with a joypad in their hand.

Anonymous

Super bunny hop is right. Nintendo just need to re-release their old titles with VR support.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzyf1SyM-1A

Anonymous

VR with no motion controls is a pure gimmick, doesn’t even remotely compare to actual VR games

Anonymous

It certainly helps if there’s some motion support, even if it’s just holding a gun like in No Man’s Sky. You’re wrong about headsets alone being a meme though.

Anonymous

VR is chock full of user problems. It’s the most elitist of all platforms. Not only is the device and the PC needed to run it is expensive but moving around in VR is nauseating to a large percentage of the populace. It’s hell to develop on.

Its only hope is with augmented reality.

Anonymous

>t. Filtered motion sicknesslet
          As a species that evolves with technology, im sure users would grow out of it. I feel bad for my friends who cant play boneworks like me

Anonymous

>Not only is the device and the PC needed to run it is expensive but moving around in VR is nauseating to a large percentage of the populace
          This is a half-truth, it’s nauseating for the first few hours, after that you get accustomed to it and you never feel sick again even after 12+ hours binging in VRChat

Anonymous

>VR is fucked unless Valve or Facebook bite the bullet and subsidize VR game development until there’s a large enough install base
        Facebook has been doing that for years. PCVR ended up being unsustainable regardless.. Now they’re switching focus to Quest platform, since it’s doing ridiculously well. Devs are actually making money

Anonymous

>vr is just playing with your eyes glued to a screen
        No thanks.

Anonymous

Yes, but you also get head and hand tracking, so you are playing with basically 3 controllers.

Anonymous

People don’t want to buy vr, because you need a monster rig with expensive af vr headset to play 1 game.

Anonymous

>Cookie cutter response

Anonymous

or devs should make games that are actually designed for both regular interfaces an vr like what bethesda did for fallout 4 and skyrim but with actual though and detail

Anonymous

The fallout 4 port was pretty much a barely functional cash grab. They didn’t even bother to port the dlcs. I’m glad it was made and I had a lot of fun in it, but it’s such a pain in the ass to mod that barely anyone bothers except for halfheartedly patching in existing mods that sorta work.

Anonymous

yeah that’s what i meant, it should be like fallout 4 but done well this time

Anonymous

this is the literal future of humanity lol. Just like that one pic of a dude in an empty room and a burning world in the background and he’s also in vr to escape his world

Anonymous

Nah

Anonymous

I heard people are choosing the Quest 2 over laptops because a bluetooth mouse and keyboard can give them a massive desktop display. Haven’t really looked into what you could use in that exactly though.

Anonymous

That sounds like cope someone says to justify their purchase.
          You can’t do shit on the virtual desktops. The resolution is dog shit.

Anonymous

And this sounds like sours grapes.

Anonymous

I have an index which has better resolution than the quest and that shit is still blurry as hell.

Anonymous

>I have bait and false information
                Not surprising coming from an index user

Anonymous

>I have a better headset and can tell you from experience that its a terrible idea
                  >n-no you’re lying!
                  kys
                  its cheaper to buy a huge display than it is to buy a quest.
                  Hell, you could just buy a 85in t.v. for the price tag of an index.

Anonymous

Your bait is stale.

Anonymous

how is his post bait?

Anonymous

Cope post. You know people would just sell the headset if they didn’t want it, right?

Anonymous

Its a pretty good idea tbh.

A briefcase VR gaming PC could be a killer product if the price is right.

Anonymous

imagine just coming up behind her and fucking the shit out of her when she’s in vr, hahaahah that would be pretty funny!

Anonymous

No, virtual desktops are absolute garbage and only useful in movies and marketing.

Anonymous

People who use that garbage never worked once in their lives. I’d like to see them editing a spreadsheet using VR lmao

Anonymous

Bear in mind we’re talking people on little chromebooks. Not everybody’s after super duper 4k shit just to browse a website.

Anonymous

>future
        We’re already escaping reality, except it’s not in a tacky obvious hollywood movie fashion

Anonymous

We are escaping reality but not in that fashion yet. Simulations like video games can’t replace real life stimulus yet.

Anonymous

I’m there already and it’s terrible. Whats the point of interacting with people in a vr world when everyone’s minds have been poisoned and they are allergic to truth?

I am very alone and I’m not sure if it will ever change.

Anonymous

the elites dont want VR to be popular because its 90s internet all over again. Why would the masses want to stick aroudn in the rat race when their wildest dreams can be accomplished in vr? They will come up with a way to make poor people stay poor in VR before making it more accessible.

Anonymous

They won’t make that same mistake again, that’s why Facebook is spearheading the charge into VR.

Anonymous

The technology is advancing at a scary pace. There’s already an omnidirectional treadmill at a consumer pricepoint, and whatever Valve has in their sleeves as the successor of the Index is most likely going to push the envelope again.

There’s nothing wrong with the technology, investors and publishers are just not convinced that making big budget VR games is profitable yet. Someone needs to be the first success to open the flood-gates, and that is what the whole VR community is waiting for.

Anonymous

The price and installation point is still a hurdle.

You already require a giant 6 by 6 empty space in your house for VR. That’s prohibitive of a lot of apartments already. Now you want treadmills on top of that. Not even considering the already 1k price tag for the index.

It’s alot for something most people won’t use daily.

Something like the quest has more consumer appeal because it’s so simplified. But the hardware isn’t there which is why it’s only the price of a new console.

Anonymous

The idea of a vr with omni-direction treadmill existed for decades. Almost 30 years ago there were vr arcade machines you could try out at malls in large cities.

Anonymous

>VR Headsets on the streets amongst the homeless
      >More guns then Russians have vodka
      >Soul crushing social engineering algorithms
      >Technology and the knowledge to use it is cheap or free
      >neo feudalist corporatism everywhere
      >organized criminal behavior as a lifestyle

God, I love the 21st century. Cyberpunk as fuck.

Anonymous

>More guns then Russians have vodka
        Bullshit. Gun laws are getting stricter and stricter. The best time for gunz was the 90’s, when kalashnikovs fucking grew on trees.

Anonymous

That hobo has more videogames than me.

Anonymous

Because he doesn’t need to pay rent or for gas.

Anonymous

That’s one of those cheap smartphone headsets you can get at the discount store. If he doesn’t have more games than you, he might have a nicer phone then you. Which should be equally as depressing.

Anonymous

That’s a quest 2

Anonymous

Than I*

Anonymous

You too? Damn

Anonymous

Barrier of entry in the form of finding a good enough graphics card and finding a decent HMD.
      Both of which cost hundreds of dollars under normal circumstances.

Anonymous

it’s too expensive and cumbersome

Anonymous

now this is peak of modern america

Anonymous

all the hype was just marketing to fund the next generation
      VR in a decade is going to be pretty great

Anonymous

we said the same thing in the 90’s

Anonymous

acceleration is a factor in technological progress
          what once tool 30 years may now be 10
          hell if the AI revolution comes along sooner than expected we could be in the matrix by 2050

Anonymous

sweet another schizo thread

Anonymous

VR was a failure and VRfags are in denial about it.

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

The mainstream hype for VR’s died down, it’s got a pretty strong niche community, which is probably where it belongs for now. I had a PSVR and really enjoyed it, it has a ton of great games. I have a Quest 2 now but the thing really isn’t comfortable so I don’t play it nearly as much

Anonymous

It’s the future of gaming. As you can observe, we’re in the present

Anonymous

That giantbomb video set VR back a whole decade.

People ask me if VR needs to be installed by a professional technician for fucks sake.

Any positive word of mouth about virtual reality is still drowned out by misinformation.

Anonymous

Basically, the same thing that happens with all new tech that’s actually really hard to develop for.

We got a couple of titles (e.g. Beat Saber, HL: Alyx, Boneworks) that were genuinely quality. And everyone else decided to push out some garbage nobody would have given half a rusted shit over had they not been looking for other excuses to justify their extremely expensive impulse buy.

It genuinely had a good chance to work out. But, only a few companies cared enough to actually work on stuff that takes advantage of the tech. And everyone else pushed out a tech demo that people wouldn’t care about if it was free but charge $40 for the experience.

Anonymous

It’s only a matter of time before Facebook owns the entire market and you have to make a FB account in order to play any new VR games at all. They’ve already started buying up exclusives, and they have enough money that they can just pay for any exclusive they want. And if you make a barebones FB account just to buy games and never post anything, their bots can decide your account is "fake" and delete it without any means of appeal, bricking your device and locking you out of all the games and DLC you purchased.

Anonymous

Way better than letting bots run rampant on your social media platform, also, time exclusive paid profile picture frames lol.

Anonymous

>And if you make a barebones FB account just to buy games and never post anything, their bots can decide your account is "fake" and delete it
        kek this is complete bullshit. You can make an account specifically for VR and keep it empty. Nobody ever got banned for "inactivity" on social media

Anonymous

They don’t buy up exclusives, they fund them. Big difference

Anonymous

Giving a studio cash to take a game hostage isn’t really "funding" the game. It’s compensating the studio for the sales they will miss because they are shackled to this one piece of proprietary tech.

Anonymous

>installbase on the millions
            >losing money
            Cope

Anonymous

Financially kickstarting a game that wouldn’t even exist otherwise – that’s funding.

Anonymous

>And if you make a barebones FB account just to buy games and never post anything, their bots can decide your account is "fake" and delete it
        kek this is complete bullshit. You can make an account specifically for VR and keep it empty. Nobody ever got banned for "inactivity" on social media

>not buying a quest 2 for $300 and defacebooking it
        https://github.com/basti564/Oculess

Anonymous

Doesn’t this require giving FB my credit card info so I can put it in developer mode?

Anonymous

No, you just need a smurf account ONCE to get it initially set up and then you can do whatever you want with it (sideload pirated apps and whatnot).

Anonymous

Is it possible to do this through someone else’s account? Perhaps that of a relative who will never play VR? I really don’t want to make a FB account.

Anonymous

Yes

Anonymous

Same deal as giving them bogus info, I imagine. If it contradicts what they already know about you (or will know) then they lock your account until you give them proof of identity. If it’s still false, your account is banned.

Anonymous

>Wanted to play Alyx
      >A new gpu + headset would cost around 1k
      >Literally no other games, VR or not, to justify the cost of ditching my 1050
      Sufferring.

Anonymous

On the bright side, the game will always be there for when tech companies give another pass at VR. And, headsets that can handle games like Boneworks and Alyx will be cheap as chips then.

Anonymous

Isn’t he worried of other hobos stealing that thing for crack money?

Anonymous

SJWs killed the future of gaming.

Anonymous

https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/jobs?job_id=11
        >A culture eager to become stronger through diversity of all forms
        Haha yeah

Anonymous

>Valve is sjw
          I feel lightheaded valvebros

Anonymous

>Provide insights on human behavior to improve customer experiences on Steam, our game distribution platform
          >Conduct statistical analyses on Valve’s gameplay, financial, and company data to identify patterns of behavior
          >Develop innovative ways of acquiring data to answer questions about Valve’s products and business practices
          What?

Anonymous

SJWs were in charge of nearly every corporation that decided to shove out some $5 garbage out the door and charge $40-60 for it just because it had a "VR" sticker on it?

Wut?

Anonymous

no gamez

Anonymous

if hitman 3 had native VR for PC even with its keyboard and mouse setup i think there would finally be enough games for me to actually buy in
        there are certainly enough games that can mod in VR support but i’d rather not jump through all the hoops from the get go

Anonymous

>VR can’t simulate this one thing, so we must disregard all of it and regress back to 80s keyboard and mouse.
      Why are people this dumb?

Anonymous

I don’t like first person games so VR is useless to me.

Anyone else feeling this way? Looks like you can only play shitty shooters or stuff like Skyrim. I have NO interest in that. I think there’s way more artistic value in third person games. Same reason there are no movies in first person, and the few there are suck.

I don’t want videogames to emulate real life. VR is a gimmick to do a fun rollercoaster stuff and then go back to normal games.

For most genres, what’s the point? People play mobas, sidescrollers… and people here are saying "lol devs shouldn’t adapt the game" then what are you doing? Just sticking a screen very close to your eyes? What’s the difference between that and a normal screen?

>omnidirectional treadmills
      Imagine the average wagecuck working 8 hours a day just to come back come and have to walk 40 minutes to reach a destination in the next iteration of whatever open world game. Do you really want that? Most americans are fat as fuck and if they have to run to play a shooter they will die

The market is, and will be, for the longest time, incredibly niche. I really can’t see it growing that much unless they do some sort of brain-computer dream simulator. We’re very, very early

Anonymous

There’s thirds person games in VR as well.

Some puzzle games are good, and so are the creative games. I imagine construction sims and the like could be fun in VR too.

Anonymous

But what is the point? Why using a VR headset if you can use a screen?
          Same for construction sims. I don’t see why you think this is a good idea, what do you gain from doing the same you do with a screen but paying more?

Anonymous

easier angles and rotations, there’s different levels of precision in mouse vs hand as well.

a simple example is a puzzle game, in VR you actually have to put things in a certain way and manually deal with rotation adding a level of complexity, while in a normal game you’re limited to what the rotate key lets you do then it snaps into place.

Anonymous

I have no idea in what games you need "easier angles and rotations" but I will go ahead and assume you’re talking about very specific games no one plays. Or just puzzle ones.

And you can’t justify a $1000 VR headset for puzzles.

Normies want third person sport games, mobas, autistic nintendos want fighting games and sidescrollers.

VR is only a fad that only works with 1st person games. Nothing else can benefit from it

Anonymous

I like doing it because in 3d modelling using the rotate keys are a pain. Real life sculpting is way more convenient in easier because you can just easily look to the side or turn things slightly without dealing with a wonky rotate tool that likes to spazz out. VR alleviates a lot of those pains, albeit the resolution and controls are currently still shitty the potential is there.

This is the same with a lot of 3d modeled environments, in trad games you only have so much you can do, usually relying on a fixed camera. With VR its easier to get a grasp of the overall structure and what you can do with it. There was an alice in wonderland game in VR that did it fairly well, though its half first person as well its a good example of the stuff you can do in 3rd person with VR.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean there isn’t potential

Anonymous

If he doesn’t get the advantages of VR vs a screen, clearly he’s never even tried it. Any game is 1000% more immersive in VR

Anonymous

Why do games need to be "immersive"? Do you need immersion to play tic tac toe?

Anonymous

You don’t "need" it, but having it isn’t a bad thing either.

Anonymous

Why do you need graphics at all? Just play dwarf fort type games in that case.

Anonymous

I kind of agree with this, personally. I can’t remember the last time I turned on my TV after a work day, I’m too lazy to even do that, let alone use the whole VR setup. I just want to sit down at my computer chair and do whatever for the night after work.
        I guess it’s my version of the argument people give to explain why they don’t like hard games, but the game itself doesn’t bother me, I don’t mind it being hard as fuck if all I’m doing is sitting on my ass with a controller on my hands. I just don’t want to be inconvenienced in real life.
        I get that it’s more immersive, or realistic, but I don’t really care about that. I play games to interact with the mechanics and the game’s design. I don’t care how much it feels like I’m in there, I care about the fact that, in Sekiro, using Mortal Draw in the air gives you the damage boost from Empowered Mortal Draw even without the upgrade or without charging, so I always make sure to jump before using it, and I also care about the fact that firecrackers can interrupt the flame attacks of the Shura Route final boss. That’s what I play games for, not to feel like I’m there. If there’s no tangible benefit in satisfying mechanical feedback from "being there", I don’t want it.

Anonymous

and this is why 3rd person games are better.
          you see the whole artistic thing. the animation of the character performing sick combos and skills.

in first person you’d see the camera spinning like crazy and some explosions. also how the fuck would you replicate jumps, using the wire hook, etc. i don’t know, i feel like VR is kind of useless rn

Anonymous

It’s possible vr may just not be for you, but from personal experience there’s a world of difference between playing a regular FPS and playing something, even a shooter, in VR. It’s simply a completely different experience in a way I can only compare to playing Mario 64 for the first time as a kid. Even a game as simple as blade and sorcery, which if played in a conventional manner would be boring within minutes, I’ve sunk dozens of hours into. If you ever get the chance it’s definitely worth popping on a headset for a few minutes to give it a try.

Anonymous

>I think there’s way more artistic value in third person games. Same reason there are no movies in first person
        every VR thread someone manages to come up with an even more retarded take

Anonymous

it takes a while to make progress with VR, you have to spend half the time setting up and the other half troubleshooting to get your equipment to function

Anonymous

>stand up in play area
        >put on Quest
        >wait 2 seconds
        >ready

Anonymous

same game draught that’s been affecting flatscreen games but the difference is flatscreen fags have a huge trove of games to fall back on while vr fags only have a couple of titles since it’s still a new thing.

Anonymous

It’s just 2 flat monitors but 2 fingers away from you eyes

Anonymous

No-one wants to wear a retarded headset

Anonymous

it’s a neat thing to experience a couple of times but not a good way to play vidya in general

Anonymous

I don’t want to shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars for it but I do want some Gmod style sandbox with imported vidya weapons to fire and swing around.
      just muck around with a Bolter in one hand and Soul Edge in the other and just shoot the shit with friends or strangers ya know

Anonymous

anon…
        Gmod has VR support

Anonymous

>Naysayer samefagging hard
      VR is good. Get over it.

Anonymous

It’s a gimmick, here’s why:
      >expenisve
      VR is a lot more expensive than at first apparent, you don’t just need the headset, you need the computer to run it, which requires high end parts, nobody wants to play at vomit inducing 60hz with fps drops
      >requires a dedicated space
      You can’t just have a desk with a monitor to play on, if you want full body VR you need a room for it.
      If you have to set up your setup every time you wanna play VR, people will not bother.
      >not enough games that are groundbreaking with mass appeal
      Boneworks is great, Pavlov is cool. But most VR games are not that good and are tiresome to play for long stretches of time. Many people don’t want to "waggle" when they come home to play games.
      There is also no massive game to catapult VR to the mainstream. Half Life Alyx didn’t even come close.
      It needs a Wii sports type of title, which was one of the main sellers of Wii wagglan bullshit. It has to be accessible, easy to pick up and novel enough for people to want to give a try.

I sold my VR headset (HTC Vive) to a friend because I literally used it less than 10 times in total. I’m too lazy to set up the headset and play space every time I wanted to play.
      It had the same fate as my full HOTAS setup and wheel, clutch and pedals. Just sits on a shelf for months being unused.

It’s a meme.

Anonymous

Nice copypasta

Anonymous

I just wrote it right now.

Anonymous

VR is a novel experience, and as much as I enjoy it I barely use it anymore.
      Doesn’t help that 99% of the new games are "experimental" indie trash. It needs more big games

Anonymous

It’s kind of fucked. There’s a real lack of quality software and what is there has succumbed to the race-to-the-bottom mobile game mentality where the primary audience does not want to pay for substantial premium experiences. Basically it represents the worst of the PC and mobile markets. On the PC side, it’s all early access indefinite indie experiments with no content, and on the standalone side, it is mobile-tier shovelware. The hardware is great. The software is letting it down.

Anonymous

I’m too busy playing VR to really talk about it.
      Whether it’s the future of gaming or not, I’m quite content with what I have for the platform right now. As long as the VR ports of older games keep coming, I am a happy man.

Anonymous

>JSRF in VR
        Absolutely based.
        Gonna put on my skates and go hit the park later today with the lads. Now I wanna try JSRF in VR really badly.

Anonymous

It’s so fun and I’m glad it exists.
          Anyway, yeah, I basically only care if I get VR ports of existing non VR games at this point because that’s where I have the most fun with VR outside of a few exceptions like Into the Radius VR and Pavlov VR. But even Pavlov VR is basically something I love because it’s an amalgamation of golden age multiplayer era games in VR through mods so yeah.

Anonymous

Until VR headsets become completely stand alone from an existing PC they will never have a chance.
      Right now they are just expensive novelty controllers, like all the random bullshit nintendo comes up with.

Anonymous

Turns out most gamers are too fat and unhealthy to stand and move around to play games on a regular basis.

Anonymous

The graphics aren’t great and neither are the controls.

Anonymous

I can’t wait for FB Connect and Carmack’s talk.

Anonymous

>eye tracking
        you WILL look at the ad before you play your game

Anonymous

person who actually owns vr here
      There’s like nothing multiplayer worth play so people tend not to talk about it, and virtually everyone that has an active presence to talk about vr acts like a pretentious dickhead about it.
      Also, nobody wants to actually talk about it but the premier VR multiplayer thing is infested with weebs who just log in to stare at their avatars they spent $100s on in the mirror, or children who’s parents bought them a quest when it was on sale.
      VR kinda sucks not gonna lie. It’s still neat though.

Anonymous

>Headset detects your eyeballs are looking away from the ad
      >Pauses the ad
      >RESUME VIEWING
      https://files.catbox.moe/3rs2lt.mp4

Anonymous

Glad I don’t play VR through oculus stuff, that might have actually been a problem for me.

Anonymous

ramblings of a delusional man

Anonymous

when valve or facebook release their micro OLED headsets I’m getting rid of my monitors

Anonymous

Valve announce the new headset already I want something better than the Index and not locked to terrible Facebook shit

Anonymous

VR just isn’t there yet. It’s too expensive and does too little.

Anonymous

You’re not there yet

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.