What went wrong?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard What went wrong?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

What went wrong?

Anonymous

EH

Anonymous
        Anonymous

What is this meme

Anonymous

You had to be there.

Anonymous

Almost everything, honestly.

Anonymous

I totally get the reasoning for getting rid of the jump button, but acting like an ass and trying to justify getting rid of it is total nonsense. Please tell me that’s not a dev in your pic?

Anonymous

Community manager, but they’re still paid staff.

Anonymous

>community manager
            >t. gets paid $8.25/hr.

Anonymous

What this anon said

Anonymous

I want to stab that faggot

Anonymous

I used to jump to make noise to draw out guards. Contextual jumping is trash. No exceptions.

Anonymous

Well the sound design in general in Thiaf is fucked anyway so I don’t even know if being able to jump freely would’ve made any difference.

Anonymous
        Anonymous

this melanoid was twitter before twitter was big

Anonymous

Reminds me of when the first Stalker game out with all sorts of graphics cards issues and staff in the support forums were just "Update your drivers :)" and snarky to people.

Anonymous

Yeah but the difference is that Stalker was a pretty good game whereas Thief 4 was a train wreck

Anonymous

[spoiler]
      i liked it[/spoiler]

Anonymous

What’s the point of announcing that you have no taste or standards?

Anonymous

>not looking glass
      >montreal
      a mystery

Anonymous

Looking Glass was dead by a decade or more at that point, that’s not even a point you’re making. Also they did a fine job with Deus Ex, which raised some expectations. Turns out it wasn’t even the same studio that did human revolution.

Anonymous

>reboot that didnt need to exist made by people who have no idea what they were doing
      what didnt go wrong?

Anonymous

thi4f

Anonymous

ill tell you what DIDNT go wrong: the atmosphere. that game felt like a damp, foggy night. wonderful stuff.

Anonymous

Except the sound design is broken leading to breaks in immersion that both the atmosphere and the gameplay and while the art design is actually really nice on its own it’s so fucking cluttered that it’s almost impossible to figure out what’s an actual interactable and what’s nothing – just environmental clutter. And the atmosphere of the originals is just fucking better.

Any good points about Thief 2014 are just the very, very few things that they stole from the originals and they even fucked those up.

Anonymous

You’re insane. The music lacks presence, sound design is just an afterthought, and most of the game is just gray and bleak yellow.

Anonymous

The one thing I will say in the reboot’s defense is that its art design is actually pretty good. I prefer the old art-style but on its own it’s quite nice. The only problem with that is that it’s almost over-designed to the detriment of gameplay. You’ll walk into a room and have no idea what’s interactable and what’s just random clutter, meaning you have to constantly spam the focus ability like an epileptic and that just shows you how empty a lot of the rooms really are.

Or to put it another way. Even when Thief 2014 does something good it manages to fuck up something else in the process.

Anonymous

They made a game that tried to appeal to everybody instead of Thief fans. I will never understand why devs can’t just focus on a niche. It’s not like this was a gargantuan budget title where wide appeal is necessary. No. It was just a spit in the face to people who loved Thief, and we even tolerated Deadly Shadows, so it’s not like it was asking for the impossible. They just had to make a Thief game for people who liked Thief. Instead, they made a game no Thief fan likes…and hardly anyone else for that matter.

Anonymous

They could’ve just copy pasted 1 and 2’s gameplay into new levels with pretty graphics and call it a done deal and it would’ve been kino. Another case of "don’t fix what isn’t broken".

Anonymous

Well that’s the thing bro, thief 1 and especially 2 are masterclasses in game map design. I never needed more than the provided vague map drawings because they flowed so well (with some intentionally maze-like exceptions)

Since modern game devs are creatively bankrupt they’d rather make ‘stealth arenas’ that are epic challenges to overcome by waiting for the right break in guard patrols. Essentially they copied dishonored but without anything that made dishonored cool.

Anonymous

the maps in thief 1 are so fucking boring, nothing but copied empty rooms everywhere
            fuck the thiefs guild too

Anonymous

I disagree and most of the fanbase does as well so basically I’m telling you you’re opinion fucking sucks.

Anonymous

fanbase = normie retards

Anonymous

>most of the fanbase does as well
                no shit

the textures and environments are all painfully bland even for the time, with the one exception of the bonehoard, which completely ignores all the things that make the game good. A genuine remaster of T:TDP would be amazing, but it really hasn’t aged well at all

Anonymous

>which completely ignores all the things that make the game good
                  what makes thief good is navigating sprawling architecture, the stealth mechanics aren’t that special if you’ve played splintercell.

Anonymous

…but the architecture is boring as fuck, as we already established. It’s not interesting to explore at all

Anonymous

the interior decorating in a couple of the mansion levels is a bit bland I’ll admit. bonehoard is a classic tomb level in gaming.

Anonymous

Yeah I agree though you have to admit T2 they got really good at designing maps. Generally people rate T2 higher because it’s like nonstop hit after hit with very little gimmicks, just pure gameplay.

Anonymous

>Yeah I agree
                Because you’re a fuckwit bargaining with another fuckwit. The maps in Thief are supposed to represent real spaces, not hallways designed for le epic takedown streaks.

Anonymous

>real spaces
                  >ten identical rooms with nothing but a table or some shelves
                  wow so real, what an opulent mansion
                  furthermore
                  >represent real spaces
                  did you even play the fucking game?

Anonymous

It was the 90’s dude are you being for real right now? What do you expect a fully decorated mansion complete with mundane objects littered everywhere that serve no purpose? you’re lucky we got food and bookcases.

Anonymous

system shock 1 came out in 1994, system shock 2 game out in 1999 and used the same engine. Both of those games had incredible , interesting environments

Anonymous

As did Thief. Did you like Thief 2 by the way? I feel like that one kinda disproves your point.

Anonymous

>the maps in thief 1 are so fucking boring
              Awful taste.
              >fuck the thiefs guild
              Agreed.

Anonymous

>Instead, they made a game no Thief fan likes
        Marketing towards less than 1% of an entire market isn’t really a smart move. The game gets better the further you get into it anyway, I managed to get the platinum trophy for it.

Anonymous

>The game gets better the further you get into it anyway
          Dead god no. It gets worse the more you play it. If you have no knowledge of Thief going into it, it seems like an alright game at first but as you keep going and going more and more issues start piling on top of each other until around the halfway-2/3rds in mark you realize the game is fundamentally not fun. And that’s just judging it solely on its own merits without comparing it to Thief 2 at all. It’s more that it dies slowly by a thousand cuts rather than a single, crippling flaw.

The problem is that if you have played the old Thief games then that is the crippling flaw. They fixed all these problems back in 1998 and they designed Thief 2014 wrong. Fundamentally, critically wrong. I just really hate the whole "if you don’t compare it to the old Thief games it’s actually a good stealth game" bollocks. It’s wrong. It’s aggresively mediocre on its own merits and was judged as such by game critics on release. And say what you want about game journos but everyone knows that a 7/10 for a new AAA release is the kiss of death from those guys. Thief 2014 was getting 6/10s across the board. It’s not the worst game of all time and it honestly isn’t even that bad. It’s just not good. At all.

Anonymous

Literally nothing. Its a great game

Anonymous

They literally actually for real no cap said "We don’t want an audience." and made a game that no one likes. Then they continued making shitty games that exist to go on sale for $5 on PSN

Anonymous

Every single thing.

Anonymous

I couldn’t stomach the tutorial, it just seemed so soulless.

Anonymous

thief:
      >here’s a rough sketch of the place, a compass, and a few hints, good luck. Isn’t roleplaying as a thief neat?

THI4F:
      WE’RE TAKING YOU ON A STEALTH ACTION THRILL RIDE, SIT BACK, RELAX, AND WATCH THINGS GET EPIC

Anonymous

GODS TO GRAVEHOLES

Anonymous

The game was basically in development hell for about 5 years with different staff coming and going – many of whom hadn’t played the original Thief who were trying to make their own thing. Only in the last couple of years did Stephane Roy get put on as game director with the task of 1. turning this mess of code into an actual game and 2. making it Thief. He failed but as far as anyone can tell he was at least trying and is probably the only reason why the game occasionally isn’t complete dogshit – just horribly mediocre.

The other thing that fucked it up was the fact that it was a cross generation release – coming out for the 360, PS3, PS4, Xbone and PC. As a result the actual game itself had to run on 6th gen tech and that led to the godawful loading zones (disguised as qtes which is one of the worst design decisions ever) every 5 minutes, often being points of no return. If they’d just concentrated on a PS4/Xbone release it… still wouldn’t have been good but it might have been a lot better.

Don’t even get me started on the actual game design though. It feels like a bunch of individual features worked on by different departments with no oversight or overall direction. And when put together they all mesh in a way that’s fundamentally not fun. The art design is pretty good on its own (ignoring the goth-Underworld fashion) but is cluttered and nonsensical and it’s impossible to tell what’s environmental clutter and what’s actually interactable without using the ‘focus’ mode. Or that everything’s a contextual animation which takes way too fucking long, or the fact that there’s too many fucking individual buttons and yet half of your moves are bound to E and space bar (interacting, swooping, mantling etc.) meaning that you’ll try to something in the heat of the moment – like picking up a body that you’ve just spent way too long knocking out, only when you try you’re now glued to the nearest wall and in lean mode because everything’s bound to E.

Anonymous

>Stephane Roy
        what’s he worked on besides thief?

Anonymous

Chaos Theory, Double Agent, Rainbow 6 Vegas and a few other things. Slight correction: he was Thief 2014’s Senior Producer.

Anonymous

thanks! (where do you even go to look this stuff up? wikipedia just wanted to tell me about a hockey player.)

Anonymous

Christ I found out about some of this ages ago. It was just by looking up various interviews (from the time), tweets and articles from the devs. It’s worth noting a lot of this is still slightly speculative but most fingers point to Stephane Roy being the guy who was bought on to try to save/salvage the project. He still failed but he was trying.

Anonymous

ah. well thanks again for the info. twas a good post.

Anonymous

There’s a bit more info if you want. Stephane D’Astous (is every single motherfucker in Montreal called Stephane) one of the co-founders of Eidos Montreal resigned midway through production, citing irreconcilable differences with management (PR speak for Square Enix are complete muppets). Rihanna Pratchett (say you want about her writing in Tomb Raider aside) has basically said that barely any of her work ended up in the final project and also that the whole class divide plot wasn’t her idea and was part of the game from way before she was bought on. Which makes sense as the plot is a goddamn mess if you try to actually lay it all out. It’s worth noting that everyone involved has signed NDAs so that’s why the behind the scenes turmoil is still somewhat under wraps.

Anonymous

Also there was this article from Polygon from 2013 about the backstage politics and high-profile walkouts. Sorry about the Polygon link but at least it’s not Kotaku:
                  https://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4269912/thief-reboot-impeded-by-office-politics-high-level-departures

Anonymous

sounds like it was a shitshow almost from the start.

>The current version of Thief barely resembles the initial concept, says a source. The vertical slice doesn’t load inside Thief’s current heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3.

i wonder what the vertical slice played like.

Anonymous

I mean there’s this E3 preview written by… Nathan Grayson?! I guess it was before Zoe started sucking him off, sorry for the RPS link again but it’s still not Kotaku:
                      https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/thief-eidos-words-vs-my-e3-playthrough

Anonymous

>What Eidos Said: “There’s several factors to what we can do now that we couldn’t do [in earlier Thief games]. Hardware’s better, so we can do more barks, a better blend of animations, better readability of the AI. They can act in groups, so like, ‘OK, you go and check it out. I’ll stand guard here.’ They won’t just all hop around one place. In combat, they’ll start taking positions and make it harder for you to just run away. It’s a really big balancing challenge for us. It’s really hard to make AI feel like a human, because humans are super complicated. But they still have to be fun to play with, because if they were super smart, they wouldn’t shout out their intentions. We need to kind of merge that reality with the game.”

>My Experience: Nope, nope, nope, nope.

lol. this is pretty cool, less as a preview of the game and more as a ribbing of the bullshit devs spew during e3

Anonymous

Yeah but just keep in mind it is Nathan Grayson who managed to fuck up so badly he caused the whole gamergate clusterfuck a few years back. You can actually find a lot of game journos back during the preview stage ribbing the game especially when they were able to get their hands on it. Keep in mind the build they’re playing is probably way worse than we got too.

Anonymous

> because if they were super smart, they wouldn’t shout out their intentions

this is exceptionally dumb even for PR speak

Anonymous

Augh… ran out of characters. Point I was trying to make was that the reason why all the game’s features and systems don’t gel with each other at all was because they were almost all developed separately from each other. It was Stephane Roy’s job to try to get them all to mesh and make a fun game out of all of them. He failed because all these systems came from different design teams, builds and completely different ideas as to what the game actually was. The fact that Thief 2014 isn’t a complete pile of shit and is, at the very least, playable is probably thanks to Roy’s hard work (at least as far as anyone can tell – the devs have been very mum on the subject of what went wrong)

Anonymous

interesting.

Anonymous

>Franchise that appeals to a niche tries to appeal to casuals
      >it fails

Anonymous

The visuals and even the gameplay is good. Everything wrong with it comes down to the architecture and level design. If it had thief 2 level design it would be a good game. The levels in thief 4 are all extremely linear, its disguised as non-linear but they’re very linear and compartmentalised and it ruins all the tension and threat of being caught which defines these games.

The story is also bad but i can’t fault it for being like a million other epic hollywood style stories

Anonymous

The gameplay isn’t actually that good though. Try fucking around with the AI and you’ll quickly find out how broken they are. Seriously I once tried using a distraction to lure a guard into a trap (the floor triggered arrows to fire out of the walls.) The second the guard got hit by an arrow he started running towards me even though he was looking the opposite way and I was hidden in shadow. I even tried experimenting with this and found out that even if I sprinted halfway across the map the second he got hurt by the trap he telepathically knew where I was and would come sprinting towards me. The game’s busted on a technical level.

Anonymous

From what I remember, during development I remember reading a post somebody made about who they were bringing on the project. I think there was like 3 names that stood out and it was people having worked on really trendy mass appeal games like assassin creed. As always it’s just old school sensibilities being left behind and probably arrogant suits pooping on the old games.

Anonymous

Everything?

Anonymous

GARRET I’M SLIPPING

Anonymous

For all its flaws the fact it has a stealth boss fight where the chick flys around and you have to hide in the shadows is really something else

Anonymous

Some dumb retard is gonna reply with
      >nothing went wrong it’s a good game
      Don’t reply to him or give him attention.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.