Why a whip?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Why a whip?

• This topic has 55 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why a whip?
      Doesn’t seem very practical in fighting monsters and vampires.

Anonymous

it looks cool

Anonymous

It is a magical whip to defeat magical Dracula. Non-magical weapons don’t work as well.

But it’s not like anyone has tried nukes.

Anonymous

>Non-magical weapons don’t work as well
        but can they do it? if it’s only a matter of dealing enough damage then nukes would probably work just fine, provided you manage to actually hit him.

Anonymous

Within Castlevania canon Quincy Morris killed Dracula with a stake in the heart

Anonymous

in SotN you could conceivably knife Dracula to death

Anonymous

Within Castlevania canon Quincy Morris killed Dracula with a stake in the heart

Several characters in the series also fight monsters with normal weapons (as do the protagonists of SotN, AoS, DoS and PoR with most available weapons).
        Magical weapons are not necessary to kill Dracula and his minions, but they’re extremely effective at it.

Anonymous

>But it’s not like anyone has tried nukes.
        Could have happened. We know literally nothing about the vampire war of 1999.

Anonymous

Those things hurt like hell. Plus he puts a fucking spiked ball at the end of it when it’s upgraded.

Anonymous

supposedly the dev though Indiana Jones was cool

Anonymous

BDSM

Anonymous

they hurt like hell
      also it’s a blessed whip passed down through generations

Anonymous

It has a weighted tip, making it more like a really long flail than a whip.
      Unbelievably difficult to wield but the Belmonts are just cool like that.

Anonymous

It has a morning star on the end in most versions.

Anonymous

>many many games with whip wielding character
      >Never ever used as a mobility tool to move around the castle

Anonymous

Didn’t Bloodlines do this? I remember swinging.

Anonymous

I remember Julius could swing with his whip in Harmony of Despair.

Anonymous

Didn’t Bloodlines do this? I remember swinging.

Super Castlevania 4 and Bloodlines use it for mobility, the former more so than the latter.
        Lords of Shadow 1 as well.

Anonymous

>Lords of Shadow
          Not a castlevania game,let’s be honest
          You can’t just put a few name in and pretend people to be retarded and fall for it
          I did,nice game,but not a Castlevania

Anonymous

If I can pretend Dawn of Sorrow doesn’t exist, I sure as hell can say that LoS is a Castlevania game

Anonymous

It’s litterally a totally different game,they just had little faith in it and decided "if we write "castlevania" someone may buy it"
              >If I can pretend Dawn of Sorrow doesn’t exist
              lol a couple of anime mugshots and a minigame you need to do few times in the whole game doesn’t make the game much worse,I don’t get you

Anonymous
        Anonymous

4 used it as a mandatory platforming tool

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Indiana Jones games usually use the whip to swing over pits or climb over obstacles.

Anonymous

>Doesn’t seem very practical in fighting monsters and vampires
      Worked for Jesus.

Anonymous

underrated post

Anonymous

>extremely effective in skilled hands
      >allows you to avoid melee combat
      >looks cool
      Makes sense to me.

Anonymous

The genesis of Castlemania boils down to Indiana Jones + Conan + Universal Monsters

Anonymous

Its only impractical if you suck with it. Of course if you’re close quarters you’re screwed.

Anonymous
      Anonymous

It’s a magical whip that makes bastards explode.

Anonymous

The creator liked Indiana Jones, confirmed in an interview. That’s pretty much the only reason.

Anonymous

It’s based on Jesus using a whip to clear out the garden gnomes in his temple. (((Dracula))) is basically the king of the garden gnomes.
        >confirmed in an interview
        Yeah, and Anno ‘confirmed’ that all the Christian symbolism in Eva was just ’cause it looked cool. Read between the lines.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

>Castlevania was directed and programmed by Hitoshi Akamatsu for the Family Computer Disk System in 1986.[64][1] The game’s staff roll features names taken from famous horror movie icons, with Akamatsu being credited as ‘Trans Fishers’, a reference to film director Terence Fisher.[65] This is possibly because Konami did not allow the use of real names at the time in order to prevent other companies from hiring people who worked for them.[65][66] An admirer of cinema, Akamatsu approached projects with a "film director’s eye", and said the visuals and music for Castlevania were "made by people who consciously wanted to do something cinematic".[1] The protagonist Simon Belmont uses a whip because Akamatsu liked Raiders of the Lost Ark, and it also matched the world he wanted to create.[1]

Anonymous

>Hitoshi Akamatsu, the creator of the legendary Castlevania, was my boss when I first joined the gaming industry. 1 I asked him then, “Why do the Belmonts fight with whips?” He replied, “It matched the world of the game I wanted to create, and as far as weapons go, whips are great at repelling enemies. Also… because I love Raiders of the Lost Ark! (laughs)” He told me a lot of the developers at Konami back then were really into Western movies, too.

https://shmuplations.com/castlevania/

Anonymous

That is exactly the point. The devs wanted a non-standard weapon because swords’n’shit were overrated and overused at the time.

Anonymous

Kokoro is the best Belmont, prove me wrong.

Anonymous

i’m replaying SOTN right now and it’s so damn good

Anonymous

>Hitoshi Akamatsu, the creator of the legendary Castlevania, was my boss when I first joined the gaming industry. I asked him then, “Why do the Belmonts fight with whips?” He replied, “It matched the world of the game I wanted to create, and as far as weapons go, whips are great at repelling enemies. Also… because I love Raiders of the Lost Ark! (laughs)” He told me a lot of the developers at Konami back then were really into Western movies, too.

Anonymous

>whips are great at repelling (((enemies)))
        This is where you’re supposed to read in between the lines.

Anonymous

obsessed.

Anonymous

Seething.

Anonymous

I’m getting filtered in Circle of the Moon. Please help.

Anonymous

weird dog

Anonymous

The sewers area and Adramelech are the true filters of the game. Be patient and focus more on dodging than attacking.

Anonymous

slide under the bubbles

Anonymous

He clearly has a sword too

Anonymous

Contrary to popular belief, it wasn’t this game that killed Castlevania, it was the proto-Treasure staff involved on Castlevania 4’s team that did, by fucking with and dumbing down the core 8-bit Castlevania gameplay which Akamatsu had envisioned for the series as seen in great CVs such as 1 and 3. If Treasure had respected his wishes and stayed true to authentic Castlevania gameplay, the series would have never lost its way, degenerating over the years after the snowball started rolling with 4.

In summary: Fuck Trashure for ruining Castlevania.

Anonymous

If I like Classicvania and am not really fond of Metroidvanias, will I like OoE? I see people comparing it to Classicvania a lot.

Anonymous

no. if you want non-linear ‘vania done right, play pic related.

Anonymous

Don’t think so, the level design and general progression is more reminiscent of the older games, CV3 in particular, but it’s stll a metroidvania at heart, just with less bloat in terms of equipment and abilities.

Anonymous

IIRC in multiple interviews a dude mentioned the Indiana Jones thing. But in a few he also mentioned the punishing aspect of a whip. Belmonts want Dracula to feel the holy bite.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.