Why are Millennials so fond of the N64?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Why are Millennials so fond of the N64?

• This topic has 76 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why are Millennials so fond of the N64?

Anonymous

mario 64 was a mindfuck coming from super mario world. there was also ‘the horse game’ that was in the vidya section of department stores

Anonymous

Yeah, I still have vivid memories of playing Mario 64 for the first time, only VR has come close to that feeling of wonder.

Anonymous

Same. Playing a real "next gen" game where the graphics were something we’d never experienced before and it was pantspoopingly awesome. Only a few people will have ever experienced this. Not only that, but we also got to experience the rise of VR.

Anonymous

Playing a game in 3D for the first time was a mindblowing experience for me.

Quake was already out before N64 even released and was more technologically advanced and mind-blowing than Bing-Bing-Wahoo 17: But in 3D.

Anonymous

>Quake was already out before N64 even released and was more technologically advanced and mind-blowing
          Mario 64 is a console game that put everything that wasn’t Quake to shame.

Anonymous

I heard some 90s kids say seeing Mario 64 for the first time was like being touched by the hand of god.

Anonymous

quake wasn’t as impressive at release, it was an iteration, it was progression
          it was cool and a good game, no doubt, but we already had several first person games that did a good enough job of faking another axis to use
          we’ve had first person games back to things like star trek strategic operations simulator, and it was nice to go beyond that, but it’s the same damn perspective that was had year over year for quite a while by the time quake came out

>muh first ever 3D so amazing!!
          shut the FUCK up zoom-zoom

arcades had 3d way before quake, you weren’t there, stop pretending you were there

Anonymous

no one played quake back then you retarded larper

Anonymous

>the horse game

The what?

Anonymous

Coz they grew up with it.

>mario 64 was a mindfuck coming from super mario world
        I was there, it was a disappointment. Mario World had a billion unique levels, Mario 64 had like 3 levels and you had to replay them all 18 times each. It was lazy coz Shigeru spent the entire dev budget/time just perfecting the "feel" of the triple jump.
        There’s a reason they never let him direct another game again and delegated him to administration and promotion work.

Anonymous

The Internet wasn’t there to ruin everything generally and friends still met in person to play video games and hang out; it has nothing to do with the N64 itself. Simply as.

Anonymous

>friends still met in person to play video games and hang out
        this still happens

Anonymous

not really

Anonymous

Why won’t boomers go to bingo clubs yet?

Anonymous

What? Who the fuck do you think is at bingo clubs?

Anonymous

It had some fun games. Playing games like Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, etc. with friends was a blast.

Anonymous

It had the best 3 Mario Parties

Anonymous

>people are fond of popular things from when they were kids
      boy what a concept

do you want this to be a nostalgia thread?
      an n64 thread?
      shittin on millenials thread?

Anonymous

underrated, take a (you)

Anonymous

Ultimate lan party console

Anonymous

The on tap four controller plug really made for some fun moments in single and split screen.

Anonymous

that would be the original xbox

Anonymous

Playing a game in 3D for the first time was a mindblowing experience for me.

Anonymous

Multiplayer

Anonymous

PSX was for teens, the N64 was played during what are now young adults’ formative years.
      Plus it had enough good games for people to remember it.

Anonymous

Man, this is the most 90s image I’ve ever seen all that’s missing is some plaid

Anonymous

Only the most die hard fanboys like the N64. Both it and the gamecube were absolute shit tier consoles with almost no games and weird shitty controllers.

Anonymous

Star Fox 64
      OoT
      Paper Mario 64
      Majoras Mask
      Super Mario 64
      Mario Kart 64
      Super Smash Bros.
      Ogre Battle 64

yep those some good games

Anonymous

Whu are zoomers so jelly? Oh right, you have fortnite, minecraft and roblox as your nostalgia
      I’m so sorry

Anonymous

Fortnite is only 4 years old it will be gen alpha nostalgia when they get older. Minecraft and especially roblox are a lot older though so nostalgia for those is expected now.

Anonymous

because they were too stupid and poor to own a pc in the 90s
      just like everyone on v

Anonymous

>not owning both

Anonymous

Middle class people did not buy their young children a computer in 1996. If you had your own computer back then living at your parents house you were either defacto rich or a teenager with a job.

Anonymous

It’s not us who are fond of it. It’s the zoomers who PRETEND to want to have been born in the 90’s. It’s the same ones who mock the N64 controller, yet all claim to love the system when they didn’t play anything outside of Super Mario 64, and MAYBE Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64.

They never grew up to love the muddy visuals and heavily compressed audio. All they want to do is to "appear" older by playing a system that they never grew up with, much less actually held a controller for. They also apparently forgot that we all had LESS games on it than the PS1 and Saturn, but we played them much more than the games on other systems.

They just never grew up with it, while we did. For a system that supposedly sold poorly, I fail to find someone my age who DIDN’T have one. Still have my translucent purple N64 (which is, of course, the best system color).

Anonymous

This fag was an old lady in the 90’s

Anonymous

It was fun.
      I dont expect a zoomer to understand what that word means though.

Anonymous

nope it’s all about speedruns and glitches for zoomers

Anonymous

Those people arent the same ones running around Temple killing their friends in goldeneye back in the day because they werent even born yet.
          I really hate you fuckers and your stupid revisionism.

Anonymous

Sounded like he was agreeing with you.

Anonymous

Probably and I apologize for that, still fuck the revisionist retards.

Anonymous

that image is pure autism

Anonymous

Why do zoomers seem unable tp grasp the concept of nostalgia?

Anonymous

Think of it this way; from 1993 to 2001 millennials had played a shit load of different games at different points in their lives. Between 2013 and 2021 zoomers went from playing mostly GTAV, Skyrim, and Minecraft to GTAV, Skyrim, and Minecraft.

Anonymous

>muh first ever 3D so amazing!!
      shut the FUCK up zoom-zoom

Anonymous

>required a thousand+ dollar computer
        >released one day before Mario 64
        >still doesn’t feature texture filtering, anti-aliasing or mipmapping, animations are frame by frame
        lol

Anonymous

This. Mustardfags are larping as old shool elitists when people at the time (including, scratch that, *especially* PC FPS devs) looked up to what console games had achieved and were impressed by that.

Anonymous

We read you the first time, stop seething.

Anonymous

Unless you had an amazing PC Quake did not look like this and it certainly wasn’t running at anywhere near the framerate of Mario 64.

Anonymous

Crystal Pepsi is the best thing in that picture

Anonymous

It’s the worst thing; it was discontinued long before the N64 came out. Certainly NO ONE was drinking crystal pepsi while playing Pokemon Snap, and the Pokemon VHS (if the label is corret0 was realeased in 2000. Whoever composed this picture probably bought some vintage stuff off eBay and made it in the past ~5 years to score some "90’s kids" upvotes.

Anonymous

Good eye. Late 90s soda was all about Mountain Dew being the king and everyone else playing catch-up.

Anonymous

I swear to god I’ve seen Surge in a few stores, but every time I look for it I can’t fucking find it anywhere. Makes me feel like I’ve gone full schizo whenever I think about it.

Anonymous

Dollar Trees have it pretty reliably, at least in my area.

Anonymous

Yeah it definitely looks like one of the newer crystal pepsi bottles from the re-release like a year or so ago

Anonymous

mountain dew was so good back then

Anonymous

Have any of you dumb fucking idiots considered that zoomers, like any other generation, didn’t exclusively consume new media? I was born in 2002 and as a kid I liked plenty of old games. I played the shit out of the Genesis collection on PS3. And it’s not just me because my friends all also like a lot older games. Maybe think about that before you make another utterly retarded generalization about people you know nothing about. But I bet you won’t because this is Ganker and nobody on here wants to be sincere about anything.

Anonymous

>liked
        You had to be there, you didn’t experience it first hand, you don’t even remember a time where internet wasn’t all around the world. Not even trying to be an poopyhole, just like I didn’t experience the 20’s or the hippie era, I can like some of that shit but I can’t be “fond” of it.

Anonymous

I absolutely do remember when the internet was just the internet and not a part of our daily lives. Nobody I knew had a smartphone until we were like 11 or 12 despite the iphone being a thing for a while already. Stop falling for stereotypes made by millennials.

Anonymous

See, you don’t get it, there was a time when close to no one knew about it.

Anonymous

>Nobody I knew had a smartphone until we were like 11 or 12
            >Having a phone before highschool at all

Anonymous

>Nobody I knew had a smartphone until we were like 11 or 12
            What the fuck? I was born in 99 and I didn’t get a smartphone at all. I was lucky to get a flip phone in 11th and that was because I begged for one. Still use em too, fuck them for shutting off my 3G towers, I didn’t want a new phone.

Anonymous

> Nobody I knew had a smartphone until we were like 11 or 12

Anonymous

>having a phone before highschool period
            nice try zoomie, you spoiled fuck.

Anonymous

because we grew up with it.

Anonymous

first proper 3d gaming console.

Anonymous

Just good memories. Remember party games didn’t really exist prior

Anonymous

You are a dumb melanoid

Anonymous

Why the fuck are you hung up on 2b and fortnite you insufferable little shit?

Anonymous

because till this day it has the best local multiplayer for games and some of the best single player experiences ever. Imagine that coming from 2D games to then experience some of the best games ever made.
      >mario 64
      >star fox 64
      >banjo kazooie, tooie, DK64
      >mario kart 64 and diddy kong racing
      >goldeneye and perfect dark
      >mario party games
      >zelda OoT and MM
      >smash bros
      >jet force gemini
      >pokemon stadium 1, 2, and snap
      >star wars rogue squadron, shadows, battle for naboo, racer
      >mario tenis, golf
      >motherfucking conker’s bad fur day
      >f-zero x, excitebike
      >paper mario
      >mystical ninja 1 and 2
      >the turok trilogy
      and much, much more…
      meanhile sony faggots were playing FF alone in their bedrooms because they had no friends

Anonymous

Baby’s first console
      For me? NES even though I was born in 98

Drill Remover

People actually had a sense of optimism for the future before 9/11 killed everything. Shit, Pokemon alone was something that made the N64 amazing and still hasn’t been replicated to this day.

Anonymous

It was the console if you had friends. PSX was for lonely people or people who had a friend with an N64

Anonymous

I was there when they flung the doors open at our local best buy and people flooded through like a herd of cattle and swarmed the store grabbing every system and game like a plague of locust. I was nearly trampled and we managed to get our hands on a system, but no game. Some guy was nice enough to give us a copy of Super Mario 64 at checkout since I was visibly upset. Mom was a cunt though and wouldn’t let me hook it up out of fear of breaking something and she didn’t know how(literally just match the colored cables). Shortages and scalpers we’re rampant for the first months before it began to smoothen out. Seeing 3D graphics for the first time outside of starfox was amazing.

Anonymous

The N64 reminds me of going to daycare and playing Pokemon Stadium and Mario Party with my friends. Also reminds me of the time where a kid kicked a ball, hit our OOT cart and wiped our progress at Ganon’s Castle.

Anonymous

I just remember it fondly because most of my time playing it was with friends. I had fun playing single player stuff as well, but I mostly just remember 4-player Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong racing, Smash Brothers, Starfox, etc…
      Plus the nostalgia of still being a kid with little to no responsibility compared to today.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.