Why did SRPGs die?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Why did SRPGs die?

• This topic has 105 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why did SRPGs die?

Anonymous

People don’t have patience for the slow gameplay. Also, nobody can live up to Matsuno.

Anonymous

You can speed up the gameplay and usually that’s all it takes to get even women hooked on the formula. Look at FE, everyone turns off animations after the first 5 maps and no one complains about how "slow" the games are.
        Same with shit like XCOM and KYZ that keep animations quick and snappy. Hell, even grindan games like Disgaea do so.
        This idea that SRPG = LUCT’s SNES version or the unpatched original WOTL needs to die.

Anonymous

?
      XCOM, Fire emblem, That rabbids game, theres triangle strategy coming out too, the NVIDIA leak thing mentioned a War of Lions port i believe.
      Its a niche gerne anon, its doing fine.
      Theres that uh, weird puppet one too that came out not too long ago.

Anonymous

stale combat that takes too long to resolve.

Anonymous

>please recommend recent SRPGs to me

Anonymous

No
        But also Disgaea 5 (not 6)

Anonymous

Yes.

Anonymous

Japan can’t make good rpg

Anonymous

There were never that many of them, and they are still being made today at about the same rate they ever have been, maybe higher.
      I reject your premise.

Anonymous

TO is a TRPG, not an SRPG

Anonymous

Then why does the official website call it a SRPG?
        https://www.jp.square-enix.com/game/detail/tacticsogre/
        >ジャンル シミュレーションRPG

Anonymous

It’s an error

Anonymous

You’re an error.

Anonymous

what the fuck is a genre simulation rpg?

Anonymous

A game like Fire Emblem or Shining Force if you played those.

Anonymous

WHERE ARE THE FIRST 4 EPISODES MATSUNO

Anonymous

Funny you make this thread, I just started playing the first mercenaries saga game. I haven’t played one of these in a long time, and that’s only if you count fire emblem. If not that, then not since the GBA days have I played this type of game. It seems fun once I got the hang of it. It’s not fun to restart a mission repeatedly after spending 20 minutes on it.

Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EgAeVGDKw
      We’re getting a new Super Robot Wars in a few days.

Anonymous

>Nu-SRW
        >Completely linear maps with samey objectives and skill point requeriments
        >Only "difficulty" is beating up big health spounges that can hit hard on counter attacks

Nope, this series has been dead by extreme casualization for a while.

Anonymous

SRW was never a hard game Anon, in Alpha Gaiden you get the best secret units by playing in easy mode.

Anonymous

Same reason all other niche genres died, (non-indie) development costs keep rising, while niche genres only have limited mass appeal and growth potential.
      90s and early 2000s were peak videogame, even AAA games had relatively low cost, small development teams and fast development times.
      Tactics Ogre was developed in 2 years by a team of a dozen people. That’s just not viable today.

Anonymous

It would be, if it wasn’t for the unrealistic demand that every game has high definition mocapped graphics. The push for graphics are nothing more than a move from the aaa devs to raise the barrier of entry so high that only the huge publisher’s studios will be able to do anything.

Anonymous

>srw
      >strategy

Anonymous

>SRPG
      What is the S standing for?

Anonymous

Simulation

Anonymous

Strategy.

Anonymous

Simulation

Ah, yeah then. Really a rare genre.

Anonymous

Simulation

Anonymous

Strategy.

Anonymous

Sexy

Anonymous

Because it’s a genre that made no money until they dumbed it down to a degree normalfags could understand. see: xcom, fire emblem, that rabbids game, triangle strategy coming out too.

Anonymous

it only had 1 fun game (FFT) and nobody copied it, even the sequel on gba took out all the fun by limiting classes to races,having almost no story and characters, and with that completely unfun law system on top,also forcing you to use random equipment to learn skills

Anonymous

FFTA and FFTA2 both have monstrously more fun gameplay than FFT original.

Anonymous

Pretty much this but these faggots never cared to okay the game.
          And I say this as a big fan of TO.

Anonymous

the abilities tied to weapons thing kinda put me off the advanced games. the world feels so much smaller compated to og fft. i also don’t think the story is on the same level as the zodiac brave tale.. imo they’re ok timewasters, but not as good as fft wotl..

Anonymous

I like all of them equally for different reasons.

Anonymous

Rather than interesting and challenging scenarios, the genre is now dominated by Coomer focused grinding simulators. Additionally, all the ""serious"" srpgs are Tactics Ogre clones and all look the fucking same.

Anonymous

They didn’t, you just started to ignore them, even if you’re only talking about FFT-likes, indie games like it just keep being released like Mercenaries Blaze this year.

Anonymous

>FFT-likes

Anonymous

retarded zoomers

Anonymous

there are a fuckton of western style srpgs/tbtrpgs of varying quality

Anonymous

Yeah, it varies between awful and just about playable.

Anonymous

i thought mechanicus was pretty great

Anonymous

JSRPG’s – Did
      WSRPG’s – Not

Anonymous
        Anonymous

>tactics revolve around grinding and healing.
        you can’t grind in FE games except for awakening

Anonymous

There was an arena to grind in the first game already. The second game already went further and let you replay many battle as often as you want to gain exp.

Anonymous

try doing arena grind without savestates and gaiden is the black sheep of the series.

Anonymous

>you can’t grind in FE games
          Almost every fucking game in the series have a way of grinding, like the Arenas, the paralogues or optionals battles

Anonymous

>Arenas
            Debatable
            >paralogues
            Literally did not exist until Awakening
            >optionals battles
            That’s not grinding, it’s just additional exp from an additional mission.

Anonymous

Since FE6 you can do all arenas without real stakes because you always can cancel the battle pressing the B bottom

Anonymous

Shadows of Valeria got a DLC that is literally mean for grindind, and Fate there is battles that are only mean for training and grinding the same with Three Houses

Anonymous

Currently playing Dell Seal. Not perfect but fills the void.

Anonymous

>Why did SRPGs die?
      Because there aren’t many good SRPGs out there. The genre collapsed due to lack of good games.

Anonymous

we need real AI for any sort of game like this to really move forward and no one is doing good ai

Anonymous

Takes over an hour to play a single stage and everything gets super old when you realize you’re really just sitting around baiting the AI

Anonymous

is this one good?

Anonymous

i was wondering that too. It is on sale right now, and it looks pretty much like fire emblem, but I don’t have anymore to really go off on it.

Anonymous

I was reading reviews but there was a big patch to day that seems to have completely rebalanced hit rates and the like making it impossible to judge the criticisms on that

Anonymous

I will need to look into it more. I can see how hit rates would be a big thing in a game like this, so you would need to make sure you nail the type of game you are going for.

since it looks like fire emblem, i would expect fairly predictable hits and crits, compared to a game like XCOM.

Anonymous

The RPG part was lacking.
      The "Strategy" part was nonexistent.

Anonymous

theres a fucking avengers SRPG comming out, moron, the genre is doing fine

recently i finished stirring abyss, pretty good overall

Anonymous

too much effort to make a good srpg when you could just shit out a generic brown and bloom shooter or barebones jrpg

Anonymous

>a generic brown and bloom shooter
        This argument would have made sense 10 years ago, but not today. COD clones have been replaced by hero shooters and battle royales.

Anonymous

When do think srpgs went out of fashion?

Anonymous

How silly of me, to think we were talking about present day and not 2011.

Anonymous

They’re boring and slow. I stopped playing the Knights of Lodis because the combat was too damn slow. Same thing with Disgae.

Anonymous

They were never that popular.

Anonymous

Making a good rpg is hard
      Making a good srpg is even harder
      Regular RPGs are easier to shit out and far more popular.

Anonymous

Because MOBAs are the best and deepest tactics games ever.

Anonymous

whaddya mean, Tactics Octopath is going to relase soon, new Brigandine has been out for a while, and a remake of Tactics Ogre was leaked (prob KoL, hopefully)
      We’re about to see the genre revived

Anonymous

>remake of Tactics Ogre
        Where?

Anonymous

>Tactics Ogre was leaked (prob KoL, hopefully)
        if they don’t fix the five battle in a row of last boss and the fact that you need to end the game in 25hrs to get the true ending I won’t to play their shit

Anonymous

How I break the game in Tactics Ogre (PSP), in the SNES one of the game breakers was army of Berserkers with Wind Valkyries + Wind Siren but the PSP release removed the characters elemental affinities and Valkyries and Berserkers seems nerfed

Anonymous

Archers and ninja squad broke the game hard early, and mages melt everything lategame

Anonymous

Archers and ninjas, also valkyries become broken after 99% of the game thanks to summon spells being shoved really deep into optional and post game dungeons.

Anonymous

because those autists in training grew up and started playing grand strategy games

Anonymous

The genres aren’t related at all. You could’ve said 4X instead, but even the dumbest of shitposters knows those games are just as vapid at the end of the day.

Anonymous

anyone born after 1987 is too low IQ and under heavy indoctrination and brainwashed to be able to play those games (no offense)
      while older players have no problem with those games and have the monetary funds to buy them,company don’t care because they can make an easy buck offering "online game" that required real money to be fun to play something that older players won’t give a damn,also is more easy to get support and people hyping your game if you appeal to them with LGBT and SJW content instead of making those deep stories with straight men,slutty adventurers that tend to mock minorities classic from SRPG.
      just accept gaming died and start using emulators and enjoying those hundreds of games from older consoles.

Anonymous

>ESL
        >Doomer
        >/poo/tard
        A wonderful 3-piece combo

Anonymous

>1987
        This year seems awfully specific, anon. Why did you choose it?
        >old good new bad
        Opinion discarded.

Anonymous

It’s the year he was born and he’s just a retarded nostalgiafag that associates quality with anything he played during his childhood and teens. It’s all deeply personal to him.

I was born in 1988.

Anonymous

>he’s just a retarded nostalgiafag that associates quality with anything he played during his childhood and teens
            Sad. Many such cases.

Anonymous

Ravness best girl.

Anonymous

Is a shame that she died

Anonymous

Someone didn’t play the Law route.

Anonymous

Law route is shit, only I played that route for the sake of complete the whole game.

Anonymous

What? Law route is the best one. You also get the best recruitable units in it like Ravness and Ozma. It’s also the only route that open the 4 chapters of CODA.

Anonymous

A route where a little bitch like Vyce becomes a hero can’t be good, I rather be a Freedom GIGA chad

Anonymous

>chaos fag
                  >instead of lawful lord willing to dirty his hands for the greater good

Anonymous

>law fag
                    >instead of a chaotic lord willing to do the right thing even if is branded as a traitor and used as a scapegoat of a massacre that you don’t committed
                    Denam chaotic is the more chad he faced greater odds than Lawful and won

Anonymous

Chaos Denam ran like a bitch and had other do the dirty job for him. Someone had to deal with those villagers no matter what.

Anonymous

>Someone had to deal with those villagers no matter what.
                        The villagers where no danger they just wanted no be forced to join the army to die as canon meat

Anonymous

They needed to provoke a reaction to have a chance to win the war, those villagers were unwilling to do anything so they might as well be sacrifice for the greater good.

Anonymous

>People is scared to fight doesn’t join because they are afraid of Galgastian army
                        >Let’s do a false flag to scare the population even more
                        That flase flag was retarded and only work due the magic of plot

Anonymous

They’re not? Trouble Shooter and Fell Seal are great.
      Go emulate Devil Survivor 1 and 2; they’re great too.

Anonymous

Isn’t traingle path traveler gonna be a srpg

Anonymous

Has anybody played picrelated? If so, how is it?

Anonymous

[…]

lmao

Anonymous

Same reason a lot of genres or franchises randomly died over the past 20 years. Devs determined that they wouldn’t print Call of Duty/World of Warcraft/League of Legends money, so the few games that did come out got relegated to mobile platforms to reduce the cost. Games like War of the Lions and Let Us Cling Together, which should otherwise be the standard of the genre, went off to die on handhelds. Nowadays, bringing SRPGs back is a struggle, because most people who play games are fucking mongoloids who can’t play simplistic games without looking up character builds, and who think board games like XCOM 2012 are a suitable replacement for the genre.

Basically, the genre was shelved because it didn’t make AAA bucks, and now nobody understands them enough to make them anymore. The few actual SRPGs that get made end up being extremely mediocre.

Anonymous

Are you guys ready for kino chink Tactics Ogre??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCrPxeYpng

Anonymous

>chink games
        >good
        Go away Chang.

Anonymous

>mobile

Anonymous

I might check out Dungeon Encounters tomorrow, but it looks REALLY fucking lazy.

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.