Why is this now regarded as the worst Doom game?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard Why is this now regarded as the worst Doom game?

• This topic has 126 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Why is this now regarded as the worst Doom game?

Anonymous

that would be doom 3. Eternal improved on what 2016 did.

Anonymous

>making a finishers even more important and basically essential to the game
        I wouldn’t call it an improvement.
        Especially amplified by the fact that chainsaw fuel regenerates and fodder zombie spawns are infinite, which makes your resources infinite while pretending it’s scarce – it’s pretty pathetic and gameplay boils down to a takedown spam chore.

Anonymous

Chainsaw is more important in Eternal, but Glory kills much less so.

Anonymous

Just because they made everything drop free armor doesn’t make this game good. It’s full of abysmal gameplay design decisions. This game is one big prolonged chore.

Anonymous

Because they ruined everything 2016 did well just because one or two runes and the SSG were OP. Fucking retards. It’s also reddit and youtube comments and marvel.

Anonymous

Eternal was always fucking awful and I’m sick of this board pretending it’s not. It ruined everything 2016 did right.

Anonymous

this

Anonymous

>everything 2016 did right

Doom 2016 was all about the combat flow, the staggers and glory kills.
        Eternal still has this.

Anonymous

I can’t think of a bigger example of character assassination in video games than Hayden.
        >inb4 story never mattered in doom
        Eternal is literally up your ass every 5 seconds about story shit.

Anonymous

Hayden was a retard in Doom 2016.
          >knows Olivia will betray him
          >gives her all the resources she needs to open portal to Heck
          >gives her security codes for Red Dudes
          >what could possibly go wrong

Anonymous

correct but mutts will seethe at this opinion

Anonymous

where have you morons been for almost 2 years ? this board got filtered hard by Eternal to the point where people unironically shill for 3 or pretend that they liked 2016.

Anonymous

>filtered by a game for a console audience
          Come on now.

Anonymous

you got people mouse and keyboard that can’t handle marauders. This is the same board that exposed itself when Sekiro came out and bitched that they couldnt farm for damage increase.

Almost two years and eternal shills can’t come up with a coherent defence of their trashfire of a game beyond >f-filtered

you faggots just keep proving you don’t even play games. You just want to spam w+mouse 1 with one gun on all the enemies. Im convinced you didnt even play Plutonia and the first 2 dooms.

Anonymous

Spamming m1 and w is all eternals gameplay

>muh weapon switching

The automatic action the game does for you before you’re too retarded to do anything for yourself in eternal.

Anonymous

>>muh weapon switching
                >The automatic action the game does for
                literally what

Anonymous

>Spamming m1 and w is all eternals gameplay
                all enemies have a timed falter system. you can’t just spam more than one ballista shot on a baron since he won’t falter from that gun again , and he will damage you. you have to switch to another gun to do fast damage on him.
                >The automatic action the game does for you before you’re too retarded to do anything for yourself in eternal.
                fuck are you talking about ? every heavy enemy type has splash damage attacks that can either insta kill you or take all your armor and hp (on ultraviolence and nightmare) if you act like a moron and stick close to them

Anonymous

The solution to w+M1 isn’t to make the combat loop itself a linear process with no room for creativity. Eternal is shit.

Anonymous

>no room for creativity
                shitter confirmed

Anonymous

Almost two years and eternal shills can’t come up with a coherent defence of their trashfire of a game beyond >f-filtered

Anonymous

This

Anonymous

Doom 3 is the greatest Doom

Anonymous
          Anonymous

This ain’t your reddit hugbox melanoid.

Anonymous

doom 3 was always considered slow since 2004, why do you tag me ?

Anonymous

maybe because different people have different opinions? are you that fucking dense that you can’t understand that?

Anonymous

I am pretty sure it’s based around "the doom I played is the true doom and every other doom has to be like that or it’s soulless".

With that approach in mind, it makes perfect sense:
          Boomers who played 1 & 2 hated 3 and everything after 3 for obvious reasons.
          Millennials who started with 3 think its the best one, while old ones are outdated trash and new ones are finisher cutscene galore trash.
          Zoomers who played 2016 never knew better and would gobble any garbage disposed in their direction, so they praise both 16 and eternal.

Reality is: Doom series was always shit with joke-tier script and it was only praised because it was the first fps not about nazis.

Anonymous

imagine being this wrong lmao

Anonymous

actually it was how easy it was to work with id tech engines and how good it looked while running fast. It was THE engine till quake, then till unreal.

Anonymous

Doom 1 was my first FPS and Doom game but all Dooms are excellent except 3.

Anonymous

I’m 33, Doom 1 was my first FPS, and the only part of the entire series that I dislike is Ancient Gods 2 because they blew their tiny dlc budget on that Avengers knockoff cutscene and made the fight with Mecha-Satan that I’ve wanted since childhood lame as FUCK. It was a wet fart ending for my favorite character.

Anonymous

I’ve played and enjoyed every DOOM
            seethe

Anonymous

Tryhard

Anonymous

its called different people like different things

Anonymous

>Reddoom 3

Anonymous

Doom 3, if nothing else, has the best sound design in the series – DOOM is fucking white noise

Anonymous

>best sound design
          Yeah, that D3 Plasma rifle is just unreal.

Anonymous

It’s soicore/redditcore.
      >DUDE GUNS!!! EXPLOSIONS!!!
      They gave up trying to appeal to European gamers and instead made it America: the game.
      They alienated their core fans.

Anonymous

>implying that wasn’t the entire premise of the original doom.

Anonymous

Yes, you never played it, just like every other plebbitor.q

Anonymous

>European gamers
        >their core fans
        kek you were never the target audience there bucko it was made by Americans for Americans.

Anonymous

>kek you were never the target audience there bucko it was made by Americans for Americans.

Bullshit, there isn’t a single school in mars for us to shoot.

Anonymous

I know you’re joking but I wish we could have more games (shooters included) with school levels. Not even for shooting stupid kids, schools just seem underused.

Anonymous

Hmmm… I wonder why you can’t have school levels on FPS games…

Seems like such a perfect match.

Anonymous

Doom has gotten progressively worse with each numbered entry.

Anonymous

anon DOOM and DOOM Eternal are not numbered entries.

Anonymous

eternal was a huge disappointment. dreadful in so many ways except for the beautiful environments and sound. 2016 was actually fun in comparison

Anonymous

the fuck are you all on about
      eternal is just 2016 with better level and enemy variety
      theyre the same shit
      i dont like nu-doom that much but out of the 2 eternal is the better game

Anonymous

They’re not the same shit, more platforming, more cutscenes, remember how 2016 was a breath of fresh air because it rarely wrestled control from the player and kept you in the perspective of doomguy at all times to increase immersion? Well fuck you, third person talky cutscenes galore! I thought the game was fine but they are really not the same, you’re looking at them from a very superficial level.

Anonymous

>more platforming
          in doom 1 and 2 you couldnt even jump and you still had platforming you had to bypass by timing your movement right.
          >more cutscenes
          all cutscenes in Eternal are skippable, even the small ones like where doomguy inserts a battery in a device.
          >remember how 2016 was a breath of fresh air because it rarely wrestled control from the player and kept you in the perspective of doomguy at all times to increase immersion
          2016 had plenty of moments whee you had Hayden lock you in a room to debrief you whilst you were stuck in first person. You couldn’t skip those. Eternal replaced 2016’s unskippable walking/talking sections with skippable cutscenes, and its much better.

Anonymous

The stupid mission select hub isn’t skippable and just wastes your time and kills momentum.

Anonymous

>The stupid mission select hub isn’t skippable
              melanoid what? you can select missions from the main menu, you don’t even need to return to the space hub after you beat the campaign once.
              im starting to think you faggots didnt even play the game

Anonymous

I’m not playing this shit game more than once melanoid. A whole lotta good it does me to skip the hub AFTER i’ve already beaten the game. You’re still just selecting missions on a screen either way so it still kills momentum and pacing.

Anonymous

>I’m not playing this shit game more than once
                  little zoom zoom faggot needs his dopamine fix and must move to the next game ?
                  >You’re still just selecting missions on a screen either way
                  you shouldn’t pretend to be retarded, everyone knows you are.

>it’s a good fucking thing
                  have a nice day and go watch movies

you first, naughty dog faggot

Anonymous

You can’t til you finished the game, why would you lie?
                You won’t even progress the game past the certain points without acquiring weapons on the mothership, fucking faggot.

Anonymous

neither of those games should have any story beyond maybe an epilogue screen

Anonymous

it’s a good fucking thing the story is minimal and skippable
              inb4 you become a contrarian that complains about plotholes

Anonymous

>it’s a good fucking thing
                have a nice day and go watch movies

Anonymous

I prefer doom 2016, but eternal is still miles better than whatever shitty fps we’re getting these days

Anonymous

It’s because Doom Eternal is a puzzle game with a shooter skin.

There are correct ways to take out enemies and you need to make sure you ration your ammo so you have enough to take care of those enemies if and when they appear.

I loved how in 2016 every weapon felt viable against every enemy – not the case in eternal. Think I beat the 1st level, hated it and quit since I was scavenging for ammo in a doom game.

Anonymous

>I loved how in 2016 every weapon felt viable against every enemy – not the case in eternal.
        i got bored fast in 2016 once i realized i could jut cheese the game with one weapon on all enemies.
        The new falter system in Eternal alongside the limited ammo and weapon switch tactics made combat much more enjoyable for me.

Anonymous

That’s fair, different strokes for different folks. I can understand why that would appeal to people. I’ve heard the same from a few people but it doesn’t work for me. Sometimes I do just want to mindlessly blast my way through with a shotgun.

Anonymous

>2016 in the OP
            >people can’t stop seething about Eternal

>Sometimes I do just want to mindlessly blast my way through with a shotgun.
            2016 is better for that, but Eternal is more engaging if you want a deeper experience. However, Eternal also has infinite ammo cheat…

Anonymous

fuck it they look the same for the most part

>Eternal also has infinite ammo cheat…

Does 2016 really not have one? (Unless you just mean the chainsaw mechanic) That seems like something it would have.

Anonymous

>Does 2016 really not have one?
                I have no idea. Cheats in DE are items you find in the game world and can activate in a special menu. Though it probably has console cheats as well.

>zoom eternal: console garbage edition
                >filtered
                Are you one of those underage retards who thinks that shitsouls is hard?

Post your Taras Nabad Master Level gameplay. Just… post the first arena. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Anonymous

>NOOOO YOU CAN’T PROVE THAT IT’S EASY
                  Lmaoing at this zoomie. Play some actual games first, underaged melanoid.

Anonymous

So you can’t do that. Interesting.

Anonymous

You are the one who is supposed to prove that this garbage is hard, you fucking imbecile.

Anonymous

I mean, it’s pretty obvious you didn’t even play the game, even though a pirate version exists. You’re just here to shitpost.

Anonymous

>NOOOO YOU HAVEN’T PLAYED
                        Holy fucking cope, zoomie. You are the one who clearly never played actual games, if you think this pile of console vomit is """""""""""""""""hard"""""""""""""""""

Anonymous

I mean, pretty obvious you didn’t. Maybe your PC can’t run it, or maybe your neurons are fried and you only get dopamine shots from shitposting.

Anonymous

>NOOOO IT CAN’T BEEEE
                        Imagine being a console shitter who thinks a movie designed for gaypads is """"hard"""". Can’t make this shit up.

Anonymous

must be hard if you can’t beat it

Anonymous

>can’t beat the console movie
                        You are just a mentally ill zoomie, I see.

Anonymous

Jeez louise

Anonymous

Cry more how movies are hard, lmao.

Anonymous

I get 2nd hand embarrassment from posts like this. People that can’t grasp how game mechanics work, even when there are tutorial pop-ups, and then give up a level in because they’re too retarded to figure shit out, should be fucking shot.

Anonymous

>don’t like having to swap weapons to optimally kill an enemy
          >wa wa they doesn’t understand the mechanics !

Anonymous

the game literately says that you USE THE FUCKING CHAIN SAW TO GET AMMO
            NOT FUCKING ONCE ON NIGHTMARE DID I EVER RUN OUT OF AMMO
            >inb4 you say LE CHAIWSAW WAS LE CHEEP XDXD I PLAY GAME TO SHOOT GUN NOT ONE SHOT WITH LE CHAIN SAW

Anonymous

Do the words "I don’t like" not mean anything to you?

I liked not having to worry about ammo in 2016 because it was literally everywhere, I don’t like having to press button for ammo in Eternal

Anonymous

>redditor malding because someone insulted his "hardcore" glowing puzzle
              lawl

Anonymous

>vee still seething about getting filtered by Doom: Eternal in 2021

Anonymous

>zoom eternal: console garbage edition
        >filtered
        Are you one of those underage retards who thinks that shitsouls is hard?

Anonymous

Was mobility creep in Doom Eternal mistake?

Anonymous

i thought the nu-doom games were pretty neat.
      though eternal had more questionable design decisions such as lowering the amount of ammo, and having your normal melee do very little damage.

Anonymous

Bright glowing glory kills and cinematic melee are cancer imo

Anonymous

I haven’t played either of the new doom games but I still post in these threads to trigger flamewars

Anonymous

based

Anonymous

you evil, evil man.
        keep it up anon :]

Anonymous

at least metadoom is still epic

Anonymous

>why is shit with QTE and cutscenes regarded as a shit game on a franchise about going fast?
      mystery

Anonymous

Both nuDoom games are pure garbage. Literally just play Quake 3 against Nightmare level bots, it’s a superior experience in every way.

Anonymous

of all the nu-dooms Etranny is the worst
      its peak r*ddit + pozz
      truly a disgrace

Anonymous

doom to 3 was dow
      d44m was dow2 and added some rpg elements
      eternal was dow3 and went all in for the moba/hero shooter market

which ones you loved, found enjoyable, or fucking hated depends entirely on what kinds of games you like

I didn’t like eternal, because I liked the plain and simple shooting fun
      on the other hand, I loved dead space 3 because I found the clunky survival horror/tanky controls stuff in 1 & 2 tolerable for the spooky scifi themes and exotic weapons and enemies; and 3 distilled it all out, and I totally understand why people who liked 1 & 2 for the survival horror stuff hated 3

Anonymous

>all these retards thinking the OP picture is Eternal and not 2016
      Just goes to show people shitpost about games they know absolutely nothing about.

Anonymous

doom was never good

Anonymous

Doom Eternal, Titanfall 2 and Escape from Tarkov are the best FPS games released in the past 5 years. CoD kids get out.

Anonymous

>chink doom knockoff, ai farming sim and slav browser games maker loot sim on unity with shit netcode are the best fps games
        Damn, last 5 years were really harsh for fps if that’s the best the genre has to offer.

Anonymous

no shit. and make that the last 13-14 years. during that entire time singleplayer shooters have been limited to
          >bad Crysis sequels
          >bad Halo sequels
          >UbiCry tower collectathon reskins
          >Bioshock collectathon reskins and clones
          >nuDoom
          >the Metro movies
          that’s about it. the genre is utterly dead.

Anonymous

We got an industry revolution actually going on, but you poorfags can’t afford it.

Anonymous

>revolution
              >one (1) game
              yeah like how every schizo who shows up at the white house alone before getting put down is a revolution

Anonymous

They made Doom really shit and gay, now all Doom games feel like gay shit.

Anonymous

Doom 1 > 64 > Eternal > Plutonia > 2016 > 2 > TNT > 3

Anonymous

>2 that low
        >Plutonia that low

Anonymous

Yes.

Anonymous

This

Anonymous

I didn’t like it when it first came out, either. Everything felt too sterilized. The level design, the way combat unfolded, the weak weapon sounds. It really seemed that iD wanted to huff the farts of Doom 3 but were pulled in the direction of what people *actually* wanted, OG Doom, and had to try and meet in the middle. Only the soundtrack has any redeeming quality, IMO. Everything else feels way too neat and tidied.

Eternal is so goddamn much better it’s such a messy chaotic game and they finally embraced the absurdity.

Anonymous

Doom Eternal is the best game in the series

Anonymous

Why Ganker sucks nu-Doom cock so much. Its literally zoom-zoom game with flashy loot drops like in Destiny.

Anonymous

I still think the worst-regarded mainline Doom game is 3, but 2016 isn’t a classic like the first games, or a lightspeed batshit insane slugfest like Eternal, so it’s kind of middle-of-the-road.
      I prefer 2016’s visuals to Eternal’s, though.

Anonymous

>last 13-14 years
      >Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
      >S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
      >Shadowrun
      >Team Fortress 2
      >Clive Barker’s Jericho
      >TimeShift
      >Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway
      >Battlefield: Bad Company 2
      >Left 4 Dead
      >Zeno Clash
      >ARMA 2
      >Wolfenstein 2009
      >Section 8
      >Bulletstorm
      >Red Orchestra 2
      >Titanfall
      >Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
      >Deus Ex
      >Shadow Warrior 2
      >Prey
      >Deep Rock Galactic
      >Project Warlock
      >Dusk
      >Blood: Fresh Supply
      >Amid Evil
      >Ion Fury
      >Wrath: Aeon of Ruin
      >Prodeus
      >Black Mesa
      >the first fps not about nazis
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_War

Anonymous

It’s actually good
      Eternal was good too but the tone is completely different. I played them back to back and had whiplash because of how goofy eternal is compared to 16.

Anonymous

I honestly prefer 2016 Doom over Eternal.
      Eternal’s number one issue, as far as I’m concerned, is that the combat had a very blatant and obvious "loop," where as 2016 felt much more like the older Doom games to me.
      That’s not to say I didn’t have any fun playing Eternal, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t pretty stale after awhile.

Anonymous

I’m a big FPS faggot and a Doom fan (Doom 3 is fun too) and I tried to play Eternal but couldn’t. Uninstalled after an hour because it was obvious it’s not a shooter but a fucking forced puzzle game. Shame, because it looks great etc.

Anonymous

filtered

Anonymous

Next master level when?

Anonymous

I enjoy all of the doom games

Anonymous

Feel sorry for people who can’t enjoy Eternal, but this how life works! Love Doom3 too.

Anonymous

Is the Switch port of Doom 3 any good?

Anonymous

It’s not!?!?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.