You DO patch your Super Mario Bros. ROM so that Lakitus have their intended behavior, right anon?

Home Forums A haunted junk yard You DO patch your Super Mario Bros. ROM so that Lakitus have their intended behavior, right anon?

• This topic has 76 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

You DO patch your Super Mario Bros. ROM so that Lakitus have their intended behavior, right anon?

Anonymous

What’s the difference and how do you know it’s supposed to be like that?

Anonymous

basically the intended behavior for lakitus is that they bounce off of pipes and question blocks, stuff like that. And they also throw unpredictably, in front, behind, doesn’t matter. The bugged behavior, and the one in most (if not all) NA copies has it so that lakitus can’t bounce off of objects and only throw pretty much straight down, so when running you can easily outrun the lakitus spinies they throw. make sense?

Anonymous

And they’ve had multiple chances to fix it in remakes (All-Stars, GBC) but chose not to.

Anonymous

>lakitus is that they bounce off of pipes and question blocks
          Ok it took me a minute to figure out what you meant. Lakitus fly in the air, the eggs are the one doing the bouncing, is what I assume you meant.

Anonymous

So they bounce in the Japanese versions?

Anonymous

No. They don’t bounce in any version.

Anonymous

Only bounce in SMB is that princess ass

Anonymous

If it doesn’t work that way in any version, what makes you think it’s the "intended" behavior?

Anonymous

So basically they left it dummied out and liked the resulting "error" behavior more.
          Kind of like OUCHFACE.

Anonymous

You should patch up your butt. It got ripped from my dick

Anonymous

/thread

Anonymous

I don’t but thanks for asking. The game is the game.

Anonymous

Lakitus are fucking diverse folk.

Anonymous

When I ignore the impulse to replay SMB, it’s for this reason.

Anonymous
          Anonymous

Lakitus are fucking diverse folk.

Lakitus only appear in three levels in SMB1, the first level they appear in is 4-1, this level is quite easy considering the bugged behavior they have that I mentioned here

basically the intended behavior for lakitus is that they bounce off of pipes and question blocks, stuff like that. And they also throw unpredictably, in front, behind, doesn’t matter. The bugged behavior, and the one in most (if not all) NA copies has it so that lakitus can’t bounce off of objects and only throw pretty much straight down, so when running you can easily outrun the lakitus spinies they throw. make sense?

. Just run, run like a melanoid in an 1800s auction house. I stress because running is pretty much the "win" button for these enemies. If you can run (assuming you’re playing the NA version anyway), you’ll be okay. The second level Lakitus appear in is 6-1, 6-1 is relatively easy to run through, although you probably are small mario by this point in the game, and you need powerups. There are two powerups in this level and besides one pipe (which have piranha plants in every level except 1-1) there are no enemies other than lakitu and the spinies he throws. There are multiple "reach points" where you can jump on or shoot fireballs at Lakitu in 6-1. There’s even a 1-up in this level, and it’s not hidden (iirc) so you don’t even have to collect all coins from the previous x-3 stage or warp or continue code there. Finally, there’s 8-2, 8-2 is easy because there is a reach point at the beginning. If you’re fast enough, you can jump on or throw fireballs at him before he can even throw a single spiny. Even if you don’t kill him, he stops chasing you as soon as you pass the staircase iirc. So he’s relatively easy to deal with. And there you go, a Certified Mario Autist’s guide to fucking up Lakitu’s day, and by extension Bowser’s. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and made sense of them.

And they’ve had multiple chances to fix it in remakes (All-Stars, GBC) but chose not to.

Yeah, I’m guessing they were lazy or knew about the bug but still left it in because it’s easier for us Amerishits. Although I’m pretty sure Lakitu behavior in All-Stars and Deluxe is the same in all regions. But I’m not 100% if that’s true or not.

Anonymous

They created the Goomba as a basic enemy because they thought Koopas were too tough an enemy with how their shells reacted. Keeping the Spiny bug sounds like something they chose to do for a similar reason, given how it persists in all version of SMB1 and also Lost Levels.

Anonymous

pretty sure the "intended" lakitu behavior didn’t make it into any official version. even if the behavior we see csme from a bug, it’s what they decided to stick with

This and also the bowser puzzle at 8-4 gets me every time, fuck that, I did it as a kid, cant be fucked to remember the layout and I dont wanna just google it

If you see a lava pit, take the pipe after it. That’s it.

Anonymous

Insight into enemy behavior like this is great. Any more rants for other enemies in smb ?

Anonymous

Sure, but there isn’t really anything all to interesting left to speak about. But I’ll give you some bits and pieces I’ve picked up over the years.
              Have you ever heard the Mandela Effect for Mario 1? People supposedly believe that there was a single or multiple piranha plants in 1-1, despite there being none in the game. This however, would be impossible. The game is programmed in such a way that every pipe has a piranha plant in it, but a flag check for 1-1 makes it so that piranha plants don’t spawn in 1-1. As mentioned in my post here

[…]
              Lakitus only appear in three levels in SMB1, the first level they appear in is 4-1, this level is quite easy considering the bugged behavior they have that I mentioned here […]. Just run, run like a melanoid in an 1800s auction house. I stress because running is pretty much the "win" button for these enemies. If you can run (assuming you’re playing the NA version anyway), you’ll be okay. The second level Lakitus appear in is 6-1, 6-1 is relatively easy to run through, although you probably are small mario by this point in the game, and you need powerups. There are two powerups in this level and besides one pipe (which have piranha plants in every level except 1-1) there are no enemies other than lakitu and the spinies he throws. There are multiple "reach points" where you can jump on or shoot fireballs at Lakitu in 6-1. There’s even a 1-up in this level, and it’s not hidden (iirc) so you don’t even have to collect all coins from the previous x-3 stage or warp or continue code there. Finally, there’s 8-2, 8-2 is easy because there is a reach point at the beginning. If you’re fast enough, you can jump on or throw fireballs at him before he can even throw a single spiny. Even if you don’t kill him, he stops chasing you as soon as you pass the staircase iirc. So he’s relatively easy to deal with. And there you go, a Certified Mario Autist’s guide to fucking up Lakitu’s day, and by extension Bowser’s. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and made sense of them.

[…]
              Yeah, I’m guessing they were lazy or knew about the bug but still left it in because it’s easier for us Amerishits. Although I’m pretty sure Lakitu behavior in All-Stars and Deluxe is the same in all regions. But I’m not 100% if that’s true or not.

Not necessarily enemy behavior per se, but as also mentioned in

[…]
              Lakitus only appear in three levels in SMB1, the first level they appear in is 4-1, this level is quite easy considering the bugged behavior they have that I mentioned here […]. Just run, run like a melanoid in an 1800s auction house. I stress because running is pretty much the "win" button for these enemies. If you can run (assuming you’re playing the NA version anyway), you’ll be okay. The second level Lakitus appear in is 6-1, 6-1 is relatively easy to run through, although you probably are small mario by this point in the game, and you need powerups. There are two powerups in this level and besides one pipe (which have piranha plants in every level except 1-1) there are no enemies other than lakitu and the spinies he throws. There are multiple "reach points" where you can jump on or shoot fireballs at Lakitu in 6-1. There’s even a 1-up in this level, and it’s not hidden (iirc) so you don’t even have to collect all coins from the previous x-3 stage or warp or continue code there. Finally, there’s 8-2, 8-2 is easy because there is a reach point at the beginning. If you’re fast enough, you can jump on or throw fireballs at him before he can even throw a single spiny. Even if you don’t kill him, he stops chasing you as soon as you pass the staircase iirc. So he’s relatively easy to deal with. And there you go, a Certified Mario Autist’s guide to fucking up Lakitu’s day, and by extension Bowser’s. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and made sense of them.

[…]

, There are hidden 1-ups in every x-1 level of every programmed world. However, these 1-ups do not always appear. They will only appear under one of these three conditions, A: You use a warp zone to reach the level. B: You use the continue code to reach the level. or C: Collecting every coin in the x-3 level of the previous world.
              While (afaik) there aren’t any differences from the US and JPN versions of SMB, there are a few differences from these versions and the EU version. There is a single block above the exit pipe in all underwater stages in the EU version, but not the US and JPN version. In the US and JPN version, you could use Super Mario or Fire Mario to get stuck in the block or wall with no way out other than running out the time. There are a few other differences in the EU version, like how they changed the Paratroopas in 8-2 to be one block to the left compared to the US and JPN versions.

Anonymous

What about the FDS version? I always wondered why that even exists.

Anonymous

To answer your question, I don’t think there are any differences between the FDS and Famicom / NES versions of SMB. But SMB was actually intended to be the last game released for the cartridge format, Nintendo was going to use the FDS as the next step. However, SMB sort of revived the cartridge format showing Nintendo it still had potential. So afaik, the FDS version was the first version planned, but probably not the first one released.

Anonymous

Nice dude. Thank you

Anonymous

>People supposedly believe that there was a single or multiple piranha plants in 1-1, despite there being none in the game
                I WIl NOT EAT BUGS I WILL NOT EAT BUGS I WILL NOT EAT BUGS I WIl NOT EAT BUGS I WILL NOT EAT BUGS I WILL NOT EAT BUGS

Anonymous

This and also the bowser puzzle at 8-4 gets me every time, fuck that, I did it as a kid, cant be fucked to remember the layout and I dont wanna just google it

Anonymous

lakitu levels are the most fun in the game.

Anonymous

Is it ACTUALLY a bug, or do you just mean the method they used to dummy out a bad mechanic involved cutting out of the function early rather than removing all lines from it, causing a rookie ASM zoomer to interpret the remaining unreachable code as unreachable by accident?

Anonymous

So what you’re telling me is the US version works differently than the Japanese one for 40 years and this is the first time I’m hearing about it?

Anonymous

No, because all versions in US and Japan have their Lakitus throw their Spinys straight down due to a single bit of code.

Anonymous

[…]

The Doomfaggots have proved that generals do not work on this board.

Anonymous

Why of course I don’t, my good faggot. I play this on an original Famicom, because I have class

Anonymous

[…]

So basically they dummied it out intentionally by changing a byte and leaving the rest, and you for some reason fell into a bad ASM trap of believing the cut behavior is a total accident just because they left code in that is not in use.

Inexperienced players (the game’s target audience) legitimately find current Lakitu frustrating, and even speedrunners find the game’s RNG fish launching and hammer throwing patterns irritating at best. Super RNG ricochet shot Lakitu would have been the scum of the earth and they clearly found that to be the case.

Anonymous

The thing is there are no Japanese/NA/EU versions. The rom is the same for the entire world, how come nobody has mentioned it in this thread?
      Wanna know who doesn’t behave the same across different versions of the game? Ridley in Metroid 1

Anonymous

>how come nobody has mentioned it in this thread?
        Mostly because it’s wrong, and you’re a fucking retard.

Anonymous

Go back to whatever shithole you crawled out of, we don’t need people like you here honestly

Anonymous

Just stating the facts. There are different versions of the game, and you’re retarded. Both of those things are true.

Anonymous

Where can I find the Japanese ROM of SMB1?

Anonymous

A search of "super mario bros rom" in Google seems to turn up multiple places. You should go download it. It has the cooler version of minus world.

Anonymous

>The rom is the same for the entire world, how come nobody has mentioned it in this thread?
        Where do these fucking zoomer retards keep coming from? Why do they insist on posting?
        https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros.
        This alone shows key differences between versions of the game.

Anonymous

>The Spiny eggs are thrown by Lakitu in a simple straight-down way, with no horizontal movement whatsoever. However, this is not the intended behavior, and is actually the result of a bug!

Ok which one of you edited this?

Anonymous

>The rom is the same for the entire world

No. PAL version has different behaviour timings and is faster.

Anonymous

everytime I post this people who think they "know" things try to correct me so in b4

>yes this is the PAL version running in 50hz and the NTSC version running in 60hz
          >yes the PAL version in 50hz is faster

Anonymous

I can’t tell the diddly-ifference.

Anonymous

Mario and most behaviour are about 10% faster

Anonymous

>The rom is the same for the entire world

Anonymous

Why do you save webms of kids?

Anonymous

he hates zoomers so much he lets them live rent free in his computer

Anonymous

gen andro sure loves their hebrew approved hormone blockers

Anonymous

kid in the maroon kinda has it with the foot slide thing. impressive.

Anonymous

Man, this triggered the zoomies. Although I’m pretty sure it’s just the one who posted about it "all being the same ROM" in the middle of an embarrassed samefagging fit.

Anonymous

>that difference between post times
            >samefagging
            Absolutely unbased retard.

Anonymous

at least he is not retarded enough to spout nonsense about some ‘intended lakitu behavior’

Anonymous

Clearly disabled on purpose. Probably was a result of Shiggy watching people play the game and get frustrated and whoever coded that part just dummied it out in response and the nerfed behavior was more fun.

Anonymous

Pronounced "Lackey 2", since it’s two enemies, one that’s a lackey of the other.

Anonymous

>intended behavior
      no its not. depsite what your subreddit and discord told you

Anonymous

Most websites really do have the SMB rom named something like Super Mario Bros (World). I think I’ve never seen the one with the (E) or (Europe) in the name. That being said I played both the Japanese and American versions and didn’t notice any differences

Anonymous

I like how you’re not a new IP. I just think that’s interesting.

Anonymous

Would maryo 1 be nearby as popular if 4-1 was the first level as intended

Anonymous

I, 4-1 do beleve so

Anonymous

>people asking "how do YOU know it was supposed to be like that?!"
      >in Super Mario Maker, Lakitus throw Spiny Eggs at random and not straight down, using the restored SMB behavior
      If it wasn’t intended, why would Nintendo make it official with SMM?

Anonymous

Couldn’t that just be a random thing they decided to change?

Anonymous

Because all the other game themes in SMM use the "proper" momentum-based throw mechanic and they needed to make it consistent.

Anonymous

I am lakitu’s brother and I can confirm that code was nullified purposefully

Anonymous

A lakitu just flew over my houae

Anonymous

*throws a spikey fucker through your window*

Anonymous

*it doesn’t bounce

Anonymous

We’re always watching

Anonymous

these are the same jabronies who think the intended smoke effect in mario 64 is the uglier blurry version

Anonymous
          Anonymous

well the one on the right looks like smoke clouds, obviously intended. HOWEVER the crispier particles on the left might be even more effective as they evoke char

Anonymous

KEEP IT HARDCORE

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • The forum ‘A haunted junk yard’ is closed to new topics and replies.