zoomers unironically are saving pc gaming

Home Forums General video game discussion & off topic zoomers unironically are saving pc gaming

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

i know pc gaming hit it’s peak in the late 90s/early 00s but i feel like the past decade has been sort of a renaissance era for pc gaming with many console makers porting their games over to pc. i’m seeing alot of youngsters getting into pc gaming and it’s honestly a good gently caressing thing, anyone agrees with me? are we in a pc gaming Renaissance?

Anonymous

Why 2 mice and keyboards?
      Also, you are probably right. Games are everywhere these days, so young people are likely to get exposed to the classics through the media they consume, and eventually get into it themselves. PC is then the natural choice, as it is the only platform that doesn’t shit all over history by actually being backwards compatible with most old games and consoles.

Anonymous

With bluetooth now being pretty much universal, PCs are the superior entertainment platform. There’s nothing a console can do that a PC can’t potentially do better out of sheer versatility.

Anonymous

What does Bluetooth have to do with that?

Anonymous

It means that all of the peripherals any console has can potentially also be used on a PC. Since it’s become a necessity, you can’t cockblock with a format until somebody builds an adapter.

Anonymous

4 nice displays only to use that shitty wallpaper

Anonymous

Just don’t be this fag

Anonymous

looks nice get over yourself

Anonymous

Looks hella comfy what’s the problem supposed to be?

Anonymous

you have to furnish your bedroom around what the opposite sex finds the most attractive

Anonymous

Honestly looks nice. Slanted roofs are cozy.

Anonymous

It’s clear that he’s proud of what he achieved. Also, his room’s comfy af I wish it were me

Anonymous
        Anonymous

literally a battlestation right there

Anonymous

>guntstream

Anonymous

YOU ONLY HAVE TWO EYES
        WHY THE gently caress DO YOU NEED THAT MANY SCREENS

Anonymous

THESE MAKE EYES OBSOLETE

Anonymous

That looks like a comfy house anon.

Anonymous

>4 laptops for no reason
        what

Anonymous

Why do you need a screen by your feet?

Anonymous

Yes you’re right.
      PC gaming felt as good as dead during the PS3/360 era, or it was at least as dead as it had ever been.
      Now it has become this mainstream thing to game on PC again and that’s really good.

Anonymous

pc gaming has finally hit the accessibility + portability and power with laptops + cheap games due to sales and not having to pay for multiplayer

Anonymous

>and not having to pay for multiplayer
        you’re still paying for internet

Anonymous

>paying for internet
          >and also paying monthly to play multiplayer on p2p servers

Anonymous

yeah i get it but you’re still paying for internet to play multiplayer

Anonymous

and still paying for hardware to play games

let me just get my halo disc and no console and no internet and pay $60 a month to play online

Anonymous

accessibility will take a huge nosedive with the arrival of the new consoles.

because then you will need an 8gig vram card that runs as fast as an rtx 2060 to be on par with consoles and run current games, which means a gaming pc will once again be much more expensive than a console.

i pity all those people with "budget builds". they paid 150 usd for an rx580 that will be useless garbage as soon as xbox and ps5 release.

Anonymous

graphics have peaked, what can consoles really offer using a controller of all mediums as an input? more detailed fps? no one wants to pay more money for single player fps with good graphics, and no one wants to go from free multiplayer to paying for it

Anonymous

>graphics have peaked

Anonymous

how many polygons do you need in a single scene? LOD doesn’t need to do much these days and consoles never really have the ram for massive distances anyways
              can you really tell the difference between the call of duty’s beyond bloom and shadow effects?
              RTX is primarily a pc feature and doesn’t mean much to console games

Anonymous

That’s cause consoles don’t mean much to graphics. We’ve had a few years of stagnation thanks to consolers until your new brick is released.

Anonymous

beyond casual gaming and single player games, consoles have peaked
                  most have been abandoned unless they dish out netflix and sell movies to non smart tvs and maybe local multiplayer
                  most multiplayer gamign though is going to be done on PC, and where the numbers are the casuals will follow, especially since you don’t have to pay a yearly subscription to play fortnite or call of duty anymore

Anonymous

they could work as defacto pcs. imagine a cheap gaming pc that will run all games absolutely futureproof for the next 5 years and all games are developed exactly for that pc. total buy for me.

Anonymous

so a gaming laptop/desktop?
                      >expects console to last 5 years
                      lol

Anonymous

the console will cost the company $800 and be sold at msrp for $600 for a loss and expects to make it up in multiplayer subscriptions?

Anonymous

I agree. I think a lot of that can be laid on the popularity of streaming. Not only is streaming far more popular with PC games, the people who end up watching the streams end up wanting to play those games themselves the way that they see streamers play them.

I kind of hate streaming these days, but that’s one plus side of it.

Anonymous

>I kind of hate streaming these days
        streaming hasn’t really changed since 2010 so why the hate?

Anonymous

I enjoyed it when it was more of a communal experience. Like back in the day I would stream on a small channel called VidyaRevolution. It wasn’t just one person, we’d all take turns streaming different shit and we all knew each other. It was a good time. There wasn’t any money involved.

Now streaming is way more commercial, and it’s all just focused on one or two people. It’s just not the same deal anymore. I can take some streamers, but they’re rare. Too much obnoxious donation/subscriber bullshit will turn me off.

Anonymous

dude just ignore it, i know it’s kinda cringy but you get used to it, half these guys dropped out of college and it’s gently caressing hard to survive in america without resulting in crime and prostitution

Anonymous

>are we in a pc gaming Renaissance?

Yeah probably
      >All of Microsoft’s games are coming to PC
      >All third-party Western devs are releasing their games on PC
      >Even most Japanese games are starting to come to PC pretty regularly
      >Sony is rumored to be starting to release their games on PC soon
      Once Epic stops buying exclusivity (they can still exist though that’s fine) I’ll consider it a true PC renaissance

Anonymous

>Once Epic stops buying exclusivity (they can still exist though that’s fine) I’ll consider it a true PC renaissance
        dude shut up we are living in the best timeline pc gaming has become a worldwide phenomenon

Anonymous

Epic’s exclusivity stuff is potentially harmful to the long term success of the PC platform as a whole because Epic’s representatives have outright said that they don’t care about customers and feel they can pander to publishers hard enough until they own the space. PC is great because we have so many services competing with each other which keeps them on the customer’s side, and buying exclusivity sidesteps that competition completely

Anonymous

thank god we have services like steam and origin that care about us

Anonymous

>Even most Japanese games are starting to come to PC pretty regularly
        this is honestly going to be huge for people who like 16 bit games like jrps and platformers and such
        typically the games don’t do well on american consoles, but on PC they’re under appreciated niche titles

Anonymous

>terrible battlestations
      >killed community servers and servers in general
      >LIGHTS DUDE LMAO
      >drivers no longer support a vidcard for several years but gimp it so you buy the new one
      >PC games are entering console territory with the minimal options
      >nu-gaming in general means terrible games like RDR and Halo
      >Even old games like AOE2 got gently caressing raped, crash constantly, 16gb of literal textures, online is laggy cause you need to be constantly connected to MS server
      >Need to be connected to steam or your favorite launcher
      >vidcards price is full on retarded cause bitcoiners thinking they’ll make money when they are using their mom credit card to pay the light

Yeah dude, Renaissance indeed.
      Saving… yeah…..

Anonymous

do you really think some kid is going to go from playing fortnite and csgo and overwatch for free on a gaming laptop or computer and start paying monthly again for the latest multiplayer fad?

Anonymous

farmville predicted the future, casual gaming on pc is going to start taking off, especially now that integrated graphics has become mainstream and can run good games affordably
      expect to see a lot more "casual" games on Steam and the return of isometric games like RTS and CRPG and diablolikes and management sim games

Anonymous

bottom of the pyramid strategy, finding the easy to produce and easy to crank out content for the masses
        imagine build engine and doom and quake 1 and 2 and 3 and ut99 games with modern QOL features and modern full feature support that can run on pretty much anything

Anonymous

also
          mark my words, it will happen
          third party/really late addons/expansions to older games
          because fans will pay money for it

Anonymous

These engines are built around ancient graphics accelerators that are fixed function and work in immediate mode. This sort of stuff doesn’t run well on modern hardware. Most of these engines are insanely single threaded, and when you have Intel releasing mobile CPUs with base clocks below 2GHz, it’s starting to really get in the way.

In my case, my Intel HD 4000 struggles to run Ion Fury, and I get a MUCH better experience playing it in software mode no matter the resolution. It still runs like crap on my i7-3720QM though, even after performance patches that made things quite a bit better. ioquake3 was getting CPU bound on my old Core 2 Duo setup when playing at lowly 120 FPS, especially because nobody bothers to support the SMP feature the game shipped with, and you’d have to fiddle with makefiles to even try compiling the engine with it. id tech 2 struggles when upgraded with more modern visuals, look at how badly darkplaces can run with riced out textures, normal maps and all bells and whistles.

I think DRS (and VRS) are the future, especially for underpowered hardware. A new engine that scales well and provides an easy way to disable most effects would be really beneficial to developers that want to target a wide range of hardware.

Anonymous

I mean… Steam is infested with that shit already. I’m constantly coming across "hidden object" games. The only person I know who plays those things is my great aunt, and she’s like 80 years old.

Anonymous

Console ports is fine yeah but to me more important is all the indies stepping up in quality and quantity and how well the point&click adventure genre is now.

Anonymous

PC gaming is getting bigger but the old golden age of PC is dead. PC gaming will be come less and less open now.

Zoomer

Hello. Zoomer here. Im new to this site, just found it like 3 weeks ago while looking for solutions to a tech problem I had. Im probably a little late to this thread but I think our generation is the only thing still holding up pc gaming. Basically all of my friends have already switched over to pc as it becomes more affordable and customisable. Especially with the release of valorant only being on pc for the moment the number of people getting gaming pc’s has sky rocketed. I myself have been gaming on pc since I was a toddler and playing half life 2. And got my first gaming pc about 3 years ago. Dont regret a thing

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.