Would you like to spend all day playing videogames, eat lavish foods, and hang out with beautiful people? Would you like an open forum to share your superior knowledge of all things vidya game, putting forth little to no effort and getting paid butt-loads of cash for it? Yes? Well, so would we, but that doesn’t happen here.
If you enjoy creating video game content by conducting interviews, dreaming up original takes, and delving into the dustier parts of video game history, then Ganker might have a spot for an amazingly gifted individual such as yourself.
We are looking for those with a passion for gaming and the blogging medium. If you find that your strength is your witty sense of humor, run with it like a pair of scissors down a poorly lit hallway. Conversely, if you suck at entertaining others, inform the hell out of them and you’ll do just fine. Get in touch: [email protected].
Examples of the kinds of posts we’re most interested in (by no means comprehensive):
Video game history
- Swearing at the screen: a history of rudeness in text adventures
- J. B. Harold: the 20-million-selling game series you’ve never heard of
- The worst (best) ads in early video game history
History that relates to gaming
- 80 years before X-COM, H.G. Wells designed ‘Little Wars’
- What Frostpunk could learn from real-life survival stories
Explorations of unusual trends, subcultures, or genres
- Gaming’s most persistent myths and urban legends, debunked
- They really did that?! Little known games from big developers
- 5 plot twists that would have made great games even better
Strong hot takes, controversial opinions, and essays casting something in a new light
- Why do Polygon reviewers suck so much at video games?
- The Legend of Zelda was an explicitly Christian game—until Nintendo of America desecrated it
Video game related science and number crunching
The tragic, bizarre, or screwed up — in short: WTF
- The heartbreaking story of how one man spent $16k on Final Fantasy and nearly lost his family
- Teen secretly spent $20k of mom’s savings on Twitch celebs, and the streaming giant thinks that’s just fine
- Meet the whale who spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on the MMO Black Desert Online
Explorations of art/aesthetics/themes
- The spooky, gory, and gorgeous worlds of DOOM
- The artists and paintings that bleed through Bloodborne
Cool or unusual miscellany that relates to video games
- These photographs make video game worlds look real
- UK university students debate banning “press F to pay respects” meme
We’re also interested in guides and how-tos that are either supremely useful or unusual, nostalgia trips, post-mortems, and interviews. We generally don’t bother with reviews or news items unless there’s something special about them — millions of sites already cover these to death.
You will be fully credited and we’re happy to link and promote your stuff in your blurb.
We’re also open to sponsored posts and reviews. Email us to talk.