Technically you always could, I hear someone saying (here‘s a video from all the way back in 2007). But this Steam Link method looks pretty functional, and will allow you to at least do some grinding while out and about. Works for both Android and iPhone.
Or if you prefer text, u/reallybadpennystocks, who levels his dwarf priest exclusively via his phone (video), posted this handy guide:
Hey guys I’ll do a write up on how I did this when I get home. Edit: GUIDE Disclaimers: May or may not be against TOS, I personally don’t care. If you play on cellular it obviously will eat through your data. Some cell towers block port 0 which stops steam link from working.
- Download steam link to your android or iOS device.
- Ensure you are connected to the same network for this step, go to options and go to steam link and make sure you have it enabled.
- Launch the app and scan for computers running steam on your network. Sometimes it will not detect it and you’ll have to use other computer. It took me a few tries on other computer for them to connect.
- Add the classic wow executable( not battle.net)to your steam short cuts, you can do this in settings and short cuts.
- On your phone or tablet, go to options and find the controller presets, click on the desktop configuration and find the one that says WASD mouse and keyboard.
- Launch the wow shortcut in big picture, it’ll take you to battle net, launch wow with it. It SHOULD change your controller from an ABXY Xbox like controller to one with a dpad and some buttons.
- Open the options on your phone by using the button in my top left corner on the video and choose layout options. Drag the WASD joy stick on the screen to make it static.
- Change the mouse control scheme to direct cursor, this acts more like a touch screen instead of a track pad.
- Change bindings to your wish. I use R and F to change my hot bars up and down so I can use the dpad 1-4 more easily. E is my auto run.
- Change settings in game to left click interact since you don’t have a readily available right click.
Play with the settings to find what works best for you, you can add more buttons in big picture but it never wants to work right for me for some reason. Make sure you have steam running when you leave the house. Change graphic options to Classic as mine runs much better this way. Some performance drops happen pretty often, depending on your network. Some port forwarding might have to be done for some people, every network is different. You’ll have to swap between mouse control schemes and swap off the keyboard on some menus like the AH or accepting quests. Two finger tap is right click. I’ll answer questions as I can. Please upvote this so everyone sees. Edit: obligatory award speech edit
Edit 2: This post has gained a lot of attention, an article has been written about it on pc gamer, if this is against TOS, I’ll be banned and be the guinea pig. I’ll be sure to let everyone know the out come.
If you’re having trouble getting the WASD controls to show up, u/JorisDBie posted this fix:
For anyone having trouble setting up the WSAD + mouse settings on your mobile device, here you go (bear with me, my settings are in Dutch so the translation may vary a tiny bit from what you’re actually seeing on your screen):
- Once you’ve launched WoW classic and you’re in the game press the big ass Steam button in the middle of your screen
- Click on Controller Configuration
- Click on the blue X (the most left button of your right side buttons, if that makes sense)
- Scroll down to Templates and press the right button from your D-pad
- Scroll down to Keyboard (WASD) and mouse and press the green A to import it
- Press the blue X to apply your new configuration
- Press the red B a few times and return to the game